PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-1 Hawk: We're in Deep Doo Doo postgamer

all*star quentin
06-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Final 4-3 Oakland's 4th walkoff win this season.

Tragg
06-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Intentionally walk .230 hitters.
PUt a solid starter into middle relief.
What an amateur in the dugout.

roylestillman
06-01-2013, 07:08 PM

Turned in on after the Hawks. Maybe I missed something but the walk off walk was on Santiago's 46th pitch, including the four other walks he had given up. Now I'm starting to wonder about Robin.

ChiSoxGal85
06-01-2013, 07:09 PM
They found a new way to lose. And I thought they'd already done them all.

dickallen15
06-01-2013, 07:11 PM

If Santiago is so solid what was going on in the 9th? I don't know how it is the managers fault when he walks 3 guys unintentionally in less than 2 innings.

mahagga73
06-01-2013, 07:16 PM
If Santiago is so solid what was going on in the 9th? I don't know how it is the managers fault when he walks 3 guys unintentionally in less than 2 innings.
Santiago has control issues that are going to result in a short major league career if he doesn't start throwing the ball over the plate.

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey, we got 10 hits.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Well at least he works cheap...:D:

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Another day, another embarrassing way to lose a game.

Another day, another three runs or less. Keep trotting out that same lineup there Robin and in the same order too!

The Sox have now played 53 games, in 29 of them they've scored three runs or less. (55%)

They've scored three runs or less in five straight games and nine of the last 12.

Seen enough yet Rick???

Lip

Brian26
06-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Yep. The batter didn't even take the bat off his shoulder on the last two pitches.

Soxman219
06-01-2013, 07:32 PM
This has 2011 written all over it.

shingo10
06-01-2013, 07:37 PM

Walking Oakland's best hitter with 1st base open, a guy on 2nd, and one out is a no-brainer. Robin had Jesse Crain pitch to him when he could have been walked.

I really don't think this one lies on poor managing. Just a team who can't get guys in from 3rd base with less than 2 outs. And a bullpen that is down to 2 reliable pieces.

Heck only 5 games under? I'd say Robin should get a raise for the crap he has to work with. It doesn't resemble a major league roster on offense. At all.

Soxman219
06-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Only team in the division who didn't win today. Embarrassing.:mad:

Zakath
06-01-2013, 07:53 PM
This has 2011 written all over it.

I was thinking more 2007.

Zakath
06-01-2013, 07:55 PM

We've been inventing new ways all week.

Six days ago, we were coming off a sweep of the Marlins. Seems like six decades ago...

DSpivack
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
A walk-off walk. Sounds about right.

SoxSpeed22
06-01-2013, 08:33 PM
What a novel concept, fouling pitches and making the pitcher throw more pitches until he throws four of them off the plate. Somebody needs to remind the Sox you can actually do that.
This has the makings of a disastrous stretch. Jarrod Parker has been on a roll as of late, and it's not like we have a lot of success in Oakland anyway.

Tragg
06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
What a novel concept, fouling pitches and making the pitcher throw more pitches until he throws four of them off the plate. Somebody needs to remind the Sox you can actually do that.

Amazing, isn't it. It's incredible how year after year Sox players simply lack the skill or don't even bother with that. I think it's organizational actually.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Tragg:

I get what you're saying although a lot of these guys get to the Sox and start doing the same thing as the few guys who came up through the system.

Don't understand why unless they start thinking U.S. Cellular Field, time to start trying to hit 600 foot, eight run home runs and nobody in the organization stops them.

Lip

DSpivack
06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Tragg:

I get what you're saying although a lot of these guys get to the Sox and start doing the same thing as the few guys who came up through the system.

Don't understand why unless they start thinking U.S. Cellular Field, time to start trying to hit 600 foot, eight run home runs and nobody in the organization stops them.

Lip

It seems more organizational when that same philosophy seems to be the weaknesses down on the farm. Although, I don't know how much of that is the players they are drafting and how much is player development.

slavko
06-01-2013, 10:23 PM
It was either Ax or Santiago to the pen when Danks came back. I thought only Ax couldn't pitch out of the pen. It's both.

Oh, well, if Danks goes DL again...

BainesHOF
06-01-2013, 10:58 PM
It was either Ax or Santiago to the pen when Danks came back. I thought only Ax couldn't pitch out of the pen. It's both.

Oh, well, if Danks goes DL again...

Danks shouldn't have been put in the rotation until proving he was ready. I'm not sure he'll ever be ready again.

doublem23
06-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Danks shouldn't have been put in the rotation until proving he was ready.

That's why he did his minor league rehab

October26
06-02-2013, 08:10 AM

Yep. Very frustrating to watch them lose again, this time on a walk-off-walk.

We've been inventing new ways all week.

Six days ago, we were coming off a sweep of the Marlins. Seems like six decades ago...

It sure does. I hate when the Sox go into these losing tailspins; hope they can snap out of it soon. Need a win today.

Golden Sox
06-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Lip Man 1: I know enough about baseball to know that some stastistics lie and others don't. You pointed out that 55% of the White Sox games have the White Sox scoring 3 or less runs definitely sums up the 2013 season so far. This team simply can't hit. Taking everything into account I think it's a worse hitting team than the 1967 White Sox. At least the 67 team could manufacture runs, this team can't. The 67 team played in a much bigger pitchers park for their home games. The Cell is a much more hitter friendly park than the old Comiskey Park. I can't understand how the White Sox can keep Phegley in the Minor Leagues when he's hitting the daylights out of the ball. If anything, bring him up and bat him as a DH. I can imagine what the White Sox pitchers must think. They probably realize if they give up a few runs they're going to lose the game.

cards press box
06-02-2013, 09:56 AM
The Sox have now played 53 games, in 29 of them they've scored three runs or less. (55%)

They've scored three runs or less in five straight games and nine of the last 12.

Lip

That is, of course, the problem in a nutshell. The Sox offense is terrible and the Sox won't contend until that problem is solved.

Thankfully, the 2014 free agent class is strong at C, OF and 1B -- the positions where the Sox need the most help offensively. And the Sox have a lot of money coming off the books after 2013. I think that Rick Hahn can and will bring in some talent to address this moribund offense.

Tragg
06-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Danks shouldn't have been put in the rotation until proving he was ready. I'm not sure he'll ever be ready again.

Agree. Santiago was pitching well as a starter. Now we have 2 pitchers stinking it up. Certainly no guarantee that either would have done well in the other role, but what they did didn't work.

tstrike2000
06-02-2013, 10:17 AM
True we're a bad team, but I don't remember the last time the managerial decisions from the dugout have been solid. It's been several years.

Tragg
06-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Tragg:

Lip
I can't explain it. But some of these organizations really have an ethic of working counts, trying to stress the opposing pitcher (it's also valuable on that end to wear them out). Guillen clearly had no use for that approach, but its obvious it's deeper than Guillen.
I keep going back to Swisher. Williams wanted OBP, overpaid for him and he hits .217, so he dumps him for pennies on the dollar after one season. Well, despite .217, he still walked over 10% of the time, still had an OBP of .332 (pretty good when your BA is .217) and he hit over 20 homers. Who needs him when you can get Wise to hit .250 for you? Which is exactly what the Sox did. And I keep going back to Wise as well, but his mere presence on this roster indicates that the Sox have odd ideas on offense. (of course he's been more than that: lead-off hitter (2009) and top bench bat (2013)).
Finding Gillespie hopefully indicates that Hahn has ideas of his own.

Mr. White Sox
06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I can't understand how the White Sox can keep Phegley in the Minor Leagues when he's hitting the daylights out of the ball. If anything, bring him up and bat him as a DH.

The only logical guess I've seen online is they don't want to start Phegley's arbitration clock too soon (by giving him Super Two status). Regardless of whether or not that is actually the case with Phegley, I hate this rule and hope it changes in the near future; keeping prospects in the minors for financial reasons alone does the game a disservice.

Playing Phegley at DH against lefties and C against righties would at least give him a ton of ABs, would effectively bench Dunn a bit more, and would take away Flowers' hatchet-jobs at the plate. Win-win-win, if Phegley doesn't produce at least you have your scouting report on him in the big leagues.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2013, 12:18 PM
That is, of course, the problem in a nutshell. The Sox offense is terrible and the Sox won't contend until that problem is solved.

Thankfully, the 2014 free agent class is strong at C, OF and 1B -- the positions where the Sox need the most help offensively. And the Sox have a lot of money coming off the books after 2013. I think that Rick Hahn can and will bring in some talent to address this moribund offense.

Cards:

Time will tell...I hope your right but Hahn takes his orders just like everyone else.

Depending on attendence and revenue he might not have as much room to work with as you think. It all depends on what ownership decides.

If this team tanks, if Hahn finally decides a blow-up rebuild is necessary you might not have a lot of folks in the park for the final three months of the season, even if they give tickets away.
...that certainly impacts revenue.

Then again you have the issue of why would any top catcher, outfielder or first baseman want to go to the rebuilding Sox in the first place unless they overpay.

I don't envy Rick Hahn's position right now.

Lip

Noneck
06-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Then again you have the issue of why would any top catcher, outfielder or first baseman want to go to the rebuilding Sox in the first place unless they overpay.

Yes thats the point. Cards brought up some players that seem like they could help the team but would these players come here? Then of course its will the Sox for one pay and possibly overpay for them. My opinion is the Sox will take the zero rent option, draw flys , get money the bud man doles out and have a payroll around 50M. Of course they will still turn a profit, they always do.