PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for the Twins.

Jerry_Manuel
08-08-2001, 10:19 PM
Twins put Radke on DL, send Guzman for more therapy
By DAVE CAMPBELL
AP Sports Writer
August 8, 2001

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Minnesota Twins are battling injuries and the Cleveland Indians in the AL Central race.

The Twins placed starting pitcher Brad Radke on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with a bruised right thumb he sustained Saturday when he was hit by a batted ball. They also said All-Star shortstop Cristian Guzman isn't close to returning.

Radke, 10-8 with a 4.11 ERA, was put on the DL for the first time in his career. He entered Wednesday tied for the AL lead in innings pitched with Oakland's Tim Hudson at 166 1-3. Hudson was scheduled to pitch Wednesday night.

Radke will be eligible to be activated Aug. 19. The Twins called up Brad Thomas from Double-A New Britain as a temporary replacement. Thomas, 10-2 with a 2.07 ERA for the Rock Cats, gave up 14 earned runs in 13 1-3 innings with the Twins this year.

Radke said the thumb is still sore and he has avoided using his right hand as much as possible. His injury is a blow to the Twins' surprising playoff push, which rests on their starting staff of Radke, Eric Milton, Joe Mays and the recently acquired Rick Reed.

Guzman, who had his inflamed right shoulder examined Tuesday night by a team doctor, will be sent to the team's training facility in Fort Myers, Fla., for continued therapy. Guzman, who was placed on the disabled list July 13, was hitting .308 with a major league-leading 13 triples.

``He is out at least two more weeks, maybe three, and that's being very optimistic,'' manager Tom Kelly said.

Guzman's injury and the trade last week of Matt Lawton to the New York Mets for Reed have left the Twins vulnerable at the top of the lineup. Second baseman Luis Rivas has hit well lately -- batting .408 (20-for-49) in the leadoff spot -- but the rest of the team has been slumping at the plate.

To make matters worse Wednesday, third baseman Corey Koskie stayed home sick with a virus. He's 9-for-15 in his career against Cleveland starter Bartolo Colon. Jason Maxwell replaced Koskie in the lineup.

danman31
08-08-2001, 10:21 PM
Bad news for the Twins is good news for us!

doublem23
08-08-2001, 10:21 PM
Well, I'm not going to cry them a river.

But, in reality, could this division be any easier to win???

Jerry_Manuel
08-08-2001, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, I'm not going to cry them a river.

But, in reality, could this division be any easier to win???

:versatile
Well if I come back up we will.

Tragg
08-08-2001, 11:09 PM
Too bad. I'd love to see the tribe sit home for the holidays. Other than the redsox, no one excites gammons like the tribe.