PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/31 Can't Get A Runner To Second, A's 3 White Sox 0 Postgame Thread

shingo10
06-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Wow.

4.5 games out of first eh?

This is brutal.

amsteel
06-01-2013, 12:28 AM
It's gonna be a bad season when the high point is sweeping the Marlins.

billyvsox
06-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Wow.

4.5 games out of first eh?

This is brutal.

That's the problem, were only 4.5 out. If we were 14.5 out like we deserve, we would hopefully blow this up

Shoeless_Jeff
06-01-2013, 12:31 AM
That was an awful effort. This team ****ing sucks.

shingo10
06-01-2013, 12:32 AM
That's the problem, were only 4.5 out. If we were 14.5 out like we deserve, we would hopefully blow this up

I think at this point there is no one who could claim we are a legitimate threat to make a postseason run. The reason being in order to win games you have to score runs and we seemingly can't.

What did Hawk say tonight, Detroit has scored 91 more runs than us?

About that "shakeup"...anytime now works for me.

Foulke You
06-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Sox shutout yet again. Too bad Conor Gillespie can't bat in all 9 lineup spots. This was another one of those games where you just knew we were getting shutout. Great pitching by Axelrod. I am more than happy he is making me eat crow. I thought he would never survive in the big leagues with his stuff. The kid just mixes things up, changes eye level, and speeds. Like most of our pitching staff, he deserves better.

Viva Medias B's
06-01-2013, 12:42 AM
The malaise continues.

WhiteSoxOnly
06-01-2013, 12:45 AM
And...it's only June 1st. That should cheer everybody up. Only 4 more months to go. I'd rather have a 4 month long toothache.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2013, 01:18 AM
19 runs in the past eight games. Two shutouts.

Gets handled by a 40 year old juicer.

Yet Robin does exactly nothing. Doesn't change the lineup, doesn't bench guys, doesn't throw a screaming fit in the clubhouse...just sits there like a bump on a log doing his best impression of Manager Gandhi.

I understand he's got nothing to replace guys with, and these ****ing stiffs apparently could care less but even if it's just for apparances sake you'd think he would have tried something by now...hit Dunn 9th, bat Konerko lead off...something.

Nope.

I wouldn't blame whatever fans come out for the next homestand if they booed the **** out of each and every one of these stiffs.

Hahn last month in a story told Gonzo it was to early to tell exactly what could happen and that he wanted to see some more games before making any decisions.

Personally I've seen enough to make my decision and I hope he has too. It doesn't take a genius to see these stiffs could care less, making stupid plays that Little Leaguers don't make and are going through the motions.

They need to be shipped out for whatever can be acquired. At least those guys might actually be embarrassed after a performance like Friday night.

Lip

hoosiersoxfan
06-01-2013, 02:58 AM
19 runs in the past eight games. Two shutouts.

Gets handled by a 40 year old juicer.

Yet Robin does exactly nothing. Doesn't change the lineup, doesn't bench guys, doesn't throw a screaming fit in the clubhouse...just sits there like a bump on a log doing his best impression of Manager Gandhi.

I understand he's got nothing to replace guys with, and these ****ing stiffs apparently could care less but even if it's just for apparances sake you'd think he would have tried something by now...hit Dunn 9th, bat Konerko lead off...something.

Nope.

I wouldn't blame whatever fans come out for the next homestand if they booed the **** out of each and every one of these stiffs.

Hahn last month in a story told Gonzo it was to early to tell exactly what could happen and that he wanted to see some more games before making any decisions.

Personally I've seen enough to make my decision and I hope he has too. It doesn't take a genius to see these stiffs could care less, making stupid plays that Little Leaguers don't make and are going through the motions.

They need to be shipped out for whatever can be acquired. At least those guys might actually be embarrassed after a performance like Friday night.

Lip

What??? :scratch:

tstrike2000
06-01-2013, 05:36 AM

I think as fans, the offense is so bad we'd be willing to see them try almost anything. We're last in the AL in runs scored (almost 20 runs less than Seattle), last in team batting average, last in OBP, and just about tied for last with KC in team SLG percentage.

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Axe deserved a much better fate.

Still this team is not out of the race, only 4.5 out. Hahn get on the phone and do something, what we have now in the way of an offense is not working.

It's becoming plainly clear that Walker was not the problem, we have hitters that have no idea what they are doing up there, no idea what the strike zone is and no idea what a good at bat is.

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2013, 08:21 AM

The question is WHAT you didn't understand about Lip's post.
Not one thing I could disagree with.

34rancher
06-01-2013, 09:34 AM
It's becoming plainly clear that Walker was not the problem, we have hitters that have no idea what they are doing up there, no idea what the strike zone is and no idea what a good at bat is.

How can that be? So many people here told us how it was Walker's fault, that the signing of Adam Dunn was a great signing, and that strikeouts are not a bad thing.
This team is just sad. We are getting decent pitching on the season and our offense couldn't hit water from the deck of the titanic.

Just for fun, sometime people should go back and read the threads on the firing of Walker and the signing of Dunn.

Brian26
06-01-2013, 09:46 AM

The lineup Walker had four years ago is entirely different than this lineup.

KingXerxes
06-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Not to worry - Harrelson kept yammering last night about how the return of Beckham will right the ship.

Tragg
06-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Still this team is not out of the race, only 4.5 out. Hahn get on the phone and do something, what we have now in the way of an offense is not working.

Maybe Gillespie gives us a clue as to the answer. We should trade our positional prospects for those of an organization that knows how to teach hitters how to work counts and hit the ball.
On the other hand, we develop pitchers pretty well, so we should stick with our own guys.

nsolo
06-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Maybe Gillespie gives us a clue as to the answer. We should trade our positional prospects for those of an organization that knows how to teach hitters how to work counts and hit the ball.
On the other hand, we develop pitchers pretty well, so we should stick with our own guys.

But how many times have we seen decent hitters join the Sox, only to suck once they get here? Then, after they move on, they seem to get back their swing.

Golden Sox
06-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I realize you can't win any games if you don't score any runs but Ventura has to take some of the blame for some of this. Last night the A's were winning 1-0 with men at second and third with one out. First base was open with Crisp up to bat. He then got a hit to break the game open by driving in 2 more runs. Why wasn't he walked to load the bases? It seems like Crisp hits his best against the White Sox. After he got his hit the next 2 batters were retired. What was Ventura thinking?

Noneck
06-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Not to worry - Harrelson kept yammering last night about how the return of Beckham will right the ship.

I read about the pain Beckham is having in his wrist along with the fact that he is not a good hitter anyway. Harrelson is such a carnival barker.

Brian26
06-01-2013, 11:24 AM
I realize you can't win any games if you don't score any runs but Ventura has to take some of the blame for some of this. Last night the A's were winning 1-0 with men at second and third with one out. First base was open with Crisp up to bat. He then got a hit to break the game open by driving in 2 more runs. Why wasn't he walked to load the bases? It seems like Crisp hits his best against the White Sox. After he got his hit the next 2 batters were retired. What was Ventura thinking?

You want to intentionally walk Coco Crisp to get to a .300 hitting switch hitter and deeper towards the middle of their lineup?

shingo10
06-01-2013, 11:28 AM

I read about the pain Beckham is having in his wrist along with the fact that he is not a good hitter anyway. Harrelson is such a carnival barker.

Hawk mentioned several times that in no way was he claiming that Beckham would be the "end all" to our problems, just that he would stabilize the middle of our infield. There are probably 100 other things Hawk said last night that could be considered yammering but this is not one of them.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2013, 11:46 AM

I think Hahn eventually will be able to get something for some of these guys at the deadline, if not before.

But remember the Sox are about at the payroll limit and getting one or two more mediocre players back isn't going to drastically alter things for the rest of the year.

Lip

hawkjt
06-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Hawk sounds very desperate at this point, clinging to Gordo as a guy who is going to have some kind of impact...on the defense,maybe,but the offense?

I hope Gordo comes back and hits over .300,but no reason to believe it will happen,and unless the Sox get some hitting, better defense will not be enough.

Axe had a good outing,but it was wasted.
Sox face the M's best starters next week...batten down the hatches.

Zakath
06-01-2013, 12:06 PM
What did Hawk say tonight, Detroit has scored 91 more runs than us?

Actually 90, but the point is solid.

We're the only team in the AL who hasn't scored 200 runs yet, and we'd have to score 5 runs in 4 straight games to make it to 200. The only team in the majors with fewer runs scored is the Marlins.

The only reason we're not 27 games under, like the Marlins, is that our run differential is only -32.

Those that thought that the AL Central wasn't the worst division in baseball can't say that now, given that a team playing as poorly as we are is still only 4.5 out.

doublem23
06-01-2013, 12:24 PM
The lineup Walker had four years ago is entirely different than this lineup.

Yeah, and look, this is essentially the same lineup we had last year with the one big exception of swapping AJ for Flowers (which has proven to be a catastrophic downgrade), but the 2012 Sox were 4th in the AL in runs scored. These guys are just all over the place.

kittle42
06-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Still this team is not out of the race, only 4.5 out.

This is exactly the organizational philosophy that will keep this team from being any good for the next 5 years, as it has the last 5 years.

Tragg
06-01-2013, 02:13 PM
But how many times have we seen decent hitters join the Sox, only to suck once they get here? Then, after they move on, they seem to get back their swing.

Often, but our two best young hitters of the last 5 years were taught elsewhere: Gillespie and Quentin. I meant the comment somewhat tongue in cheek, although there is truth to it too.
Further, we frequently traded for players that were past their prime. And we love terrible veterans. I once thought it was just Ozzie.....
Swisher wasn't past his prime and had a bad year, but it wasn't that bad relatively speaking. And the manager ran him off.

sox1970
06-01-2013, 02:18 PM
4.5 out after two months just means they're on pace to be 13-15 games back at the end of the year.

Really, standings and how many games back at this time of year doesn't tell much. The Sox are a poor offensive team, with an overworked bullpen. The Tigers have the starting rotation. They have a great offense that goes quiet for a couple days at a time, but they'll get hot the next few months and run away with this division, even with a subpar bullpen....which hasn't been as bad as people think.

kittle42
06-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Really, standings and how many games back at this time of year doesn't tell much.

My god, thank you. I feel sometimes that few people get this, despite having watched baseball for decades.

Brian26
06-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Hawk mentioned several times that in no way was he claiming that Beckham would be the "end all" to our problems, just that he would stabilize the middle of our infield. There are probably 100 other things Hawk said last night that could be considered yammering but this is not one of them.

Right. The yammering was when he was singing the praises of Andy Wilkins. The Beckham stuff was tolerable.

BigKlu59
06-01-2013, 04:26 PM
The game was actually tolerable until the wheels came off in the bottom of the 8th. Axelrod pitched one hell of a game.. Too bad those limp Sox bats couldnt give him any support at all..

I was laughing too as Hawk saw the sunshine in the dark clouds at only being 4.5 out with this three ring circus on display. Sad, but he's right. A 10 game tear could have this illusion sitting in the cat bird seat :D:

BK59

Lip Man 1
06-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Often, but our two best young hitters of the last 5 years were taught elsewhere: Gillespie and Quentin. I meant the comment somewhat tongue in cheek, although there is truth to it too.
Further, we frequently traded for players that were past their prime. And we love terrible veterans. I once thought it was just Ozzie.....
Swisher wasn't past his prime and had a bad year, but it wasn't that bad relatively speaking. And the manager ran him off.

Tragg:

I'm not an Ozzie apologist by any stretch but in fairness, Swisher's attitude was a big part of the problem and that's on him.

Gonzo told me the story of Ken Griffey Jr. trying to help him before a game when he was struggling and Swisher apparently blew him off like he was a career .205 hitter who barely made the big leagues.

Lip