PDA

View Full Version : Royals new hitting coach

LITTLE NELL
05-30-2013, 04:57 PM
George Brett, one of the best hitters of my lifetime named hitting coach of the Royals. I don't think Brett or even Ted Williams could help some of the stiffs on the Sox.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9325657/george-brett-named-kansas-city-royals-interim-hitting-coach#comments

Tree Hate Me
05-30-2013, 05:04 PM
I wonder if he plans on teaching the guys about the "perfect double taper".

RKMeibalane
05-30-2013, 05:10 PM
I wonder if he plans on teaching the guys about the "perfect double taper".

Only if the **** hits the fan. Here's the clip about it. Word of warning, the clip does contain language that some may find offensive, so if you don't like hearing stories about people ****ting their pants, please don't open this.

pU9xz2FpQc0

WLL1855
05-30-2013, 07:07 PM
"The key to hitting is pine tar. Lots of pine tar."

TDog
05-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Here's a fun fact. George Brett and Greg Walker broke into the majors working with the same hitting coach.

If you can find Charlie Lau's book The Art of Hitting .300, it's a great read, but an expensive one. It is long out of print yet in demand for serious amateur hitting coaches.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Here's a fun fact. George Brett and Greg Walker broke into the majors working with the same hitting coach.

If you can find Charlie Lau's book The Art of Hitting .300, it's a great read, but an expensive one. It is long out of print yet in demand for serious amateur hitting coaches.

Interesting. Walker seems to be doing well in Atlanta, which only further convinces me that I was wrong to think he was the problem here. Sox hitters suck because they suck, not because of Greg Walker.

We'll see if Brett turns out to be a good hitting instructor. Most of the elite hitters who've tried their hand at it haven't been effective teachers because they couldn't relate to the lesser players who needed the most instruction.

MeteorsSox4367
05-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Brett was my favorite non-Sox player as a kid. Hope he does well in KC when they're not playing the Sox.

Huisj
05-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Interesting. Walker seems to be doing well in Atlanta, which only further convinces me that I was wrong to think he was the problem here. Sox hitters suck because they suck, not because of Greg Walker.

We'll see if Brett turns out to be a good hitting instructor. Most of the elite hitters who've tried their hand at it haven't been effective teachers because they couldn't relate to the lesser players who needed the most instruction.

I would say Walker is having mixed results at best. Their record is good, and a few guys look good, they've got a lot of power, but they have some big problems with BJ Upton, Uggla, and Heyward all hitting under .200. Upton looks hopeless, and Heyward is having an Adam Dunn 2011 season (complete with an April appendectomy). They lead the NL in K's too.

Red Barchetta
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Only if the **** hits the fan. Here's the clip about it. Word of warning, the clip does contain language that some may find offensive, so if you don't like hearing stories about people ****ting their pants, please don't open this.

pU9xz2FpQc0

This easily falls into the "Way Too Much Information" camp of one of my favorite childhood heros of the game! :?:

Note to self: Definitely wash my hands before dinner next time I'm at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

SI1020
05-31-2013, 03:59 PM

We'll see if Brett turns out to be a good hitting instructor. Most of the elite hitters who've tried their hand at it haven't been effective teachers because they couldn't relate to the lesser players who needed the most instruction. On a local (SC) jock talk show recently there was mention that some Braves fans were complaining of the high strikeout all or nothing approach of Braves hitters. Atlanta as a team has been very streaky, hot, then cold and then hot again. I think the all or nothing approach is a problem more widespread than just the Sox and the Braves. As for Walker, he had some success in Chicago, but the time for his departure was right. I'm actually happy for him. He's in his home state and on a contender.

doublem23
05-31-2013, 04:09 PM
On a local (SC) jock talk show recently there was mention that some Braves fans were complaining of the high strikeout all or nothing approach of Braves hitters. Atlanta as a team has been very streaky, hot, then cold and then hot again. I think the all or nothing approach is a problem more widespread than just the Sox and the Braves. As for Walker, he had some success in Chicago, but the time for his departure was right. I'm actually happy for him. He's in his home state and on a contender.

Atlanta has essentially the White Sox offense just with some better players. They're low in OBP, #1 in the NL in strikeouts, and #2 in slugging percentage. It's the same "softball" approach that people here hate, it just works a lot better because you have more dynamic hitters.

MarksBrokenFoot
05-31-2013, 08:02 PM
I hope he is successful. The Lau swing is such a pretty way to hit.