PDA

View Full Version : Adkins and Diaz pitch today

HawkDJ
08-01-2002, 10:13 PM
Jon Adkins started for Charlotte today and picked up the loss. Here was his line:
7 innings
7 hits
3 runs
2 earned runs
3 walks
3 strikeouts

Felix Diaz relieved for Birmingham and got the win.
3 innings
1 hit
0 runs
0 earned runs
1 walk
2 strikeouts

Randar68
08-01-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Jon Adkins started for Charlotte today and picked up the loss. Here was his line:
7 innings
7 hits
3 runs
3 earned runs
3 walks
3 strikeouts

Felix Diaz started for Birmingham today and picked up the win. I don't have a box score at the moment.

Actually, only 2 of Adkin's runs were earned.

Diaz pitched in relief for Birmingham, goint 3 scoreless innings giving up only 1 hit and 1 BB, w/ 2 K's. Ulacia got pounded again as the starter.

delben91
08-02-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Ulacia got pounded again as the starter.

What's going on there. Denis seemed to have things going really well last year. But this season he's just stunk up the joint. Did he move up a level and that's his issue, or did he pitch over his head last season?

Randar68
08-02-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by delben91

What's going on there. Denis seemed to have things going really well last year. But this season he's just stunk up the joint. Did he move up a level and that's his issue, or did he pitch over his head last season?

He's a Buehrle-redux type pitcher. Not quite the curve or gas Mark has. He did very well last year as he was confident, attacked the hitters, and mixed pitches well. It seems that he has not had the same control he did last year. He pitched great in the playoffs in AA last year and his last few starts were there. He even picked up an emergency win in AAA last season. I hope he finds his groove in the second half, but I have reservations about his overall future. If you take away a couple mph from Mark and make his curve break a little less, I don't think you have nearly as effective a pitcher.