PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-26 After deep sea fishing, sweep the decks; SOX 5 MIA 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Axe with a rocky start but settled down

Dunn with a bomb; more runs plated later

Great bullpen pitching

Reed second in the AL in saves

Back at .500

doublem23
05-26-2013, 03:53 PM

dsnb

amsteel
Mediocre expectations = Achieved!

Frater Perdurabo
Concern over our pitching may be a red herring

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Our defense seems to be tightening up, just as we are scaling the AL Central standings

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2013, 03:55 PM
:bandance:A sweep is always nice, now get at least 3 from the Flubs.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2013, 03:56 PM

dsnb

dsnb?
I give up.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Miami leaves Chicago with three different stories about "the one that got away."

SBSoxFan
05-26-2013, 03:57 PM
dsnb?
I give up.

Don't Stop Now Boys!

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Don't Stop Now Boys!

Should have known that.

slavko
05-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Don'tcha love a closer who throws strikes? Ax was OK, that's all you can expect from him, but he can't pitch out of the bullpen so Santiago goes to the 'pen for now. Can't argue with that either.

The hitting is showing signs of adequacy, too.

They look better. Now we want more. Because that's what White Sox fans do.

FielderJones
05-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Man can we please sweep these bums.

Yes. Yes we can.

:sweep

Some great pitching and timely hitting did the trick.

harwar
05-26-2013, 04:01 PM
It's fun to watch again .. there's no reason why we can't take 3 out of 4 from the cubs .. Marlins TV broadcasters.. "Jesse Crain and Addison Reed have been devastating"..

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 04:01 PM
First sweep of the season. Holy mackerel!

LoveYourSuit
05-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Sweep is a sweep, but my God, only a +4 Run Differential to a team at - 80 for the season.

Thank God for our pitching because our offense still sucks.

voodoochile
05-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Axe with a rocky start but settled down

Dunn with a bomb; more runs plated later

Great bullpen pitching

Reed second in the AL in saves

Back at .500

^This

:soxwin:

:supernana:

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Sweep is a sweep, but my God, only a +4 Run Differential to a team at - 80 for the season.

Yes, thankfully our pitching was able to reel them in.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 04:07 PM
^This

:soxwin:

:supernana:

Voodoo, are you planning to join me with some fish/nautical puns? Or will I alone take the plunge? Or walk the plank?

Shoeless_Jeff
05-26-2013, 04:09 PM
This team is a lot more fun to watch than it was three weeks ago.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2013, 04:11 PM

With Cleveland and KC starting to slide it looks like it will be Detroit and us but you are right, our hitting has to pick it up. I've seen too many Sox teams down through the years with great pitching but come up short because they couldn't hit worth a damn.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 04:11 PM
This team is a lot more fun to watch than it was three weeks ago.

Seems like the team is all rowing in the same direction now.

Maybe Robin's team meeting put them through school? (Groan)

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 04:14 PM
In order to get the fielders to play better, do you think Sox coaches had to kick some bass?

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2013, 04:26 PM
In order to get the fielders to play better, do you think Sox coaches had to kick some bass?

I'm sure they did a lot of carp-ing about it.

ChiSoxGal85
05-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Just for the halibut, speed-waching the game via DVR now since I missed it live. Because I like to see the Sox reel in the Marlins.

Sox are certainly more fun to watch these days.

TDog
05-26-2013, 05:19 PM
On one hand, the Marlins being the least successful NL team, fans would have been disappointed if the Sox hadn't swept this weekend. On the other hand, the Marlins played the Sox tough this weekend and stayed in Saturday's game till the end by getting an exceptional performance from their starting pitcher. The White Sox came into this homestand below .500 because they didn't win some winnable games due to lapses on defense that contributed to bad relief outings. They finish the weekend above .500 because they played solid baseball, in games that could have been lost if they hadn't.

Considering that the White Sox have a better record against winning teams than sub-.500 teams, this weekend should not be shrugged off because they beat an inferior team. Maybe this was the best time to play the Marlins, before inevitable changes, before players with something to prove get more playing time. The Tigers end their season with three in Miami after three in Minnesota. If the race isn't over (they finish at home against the White Sox), the Twins and Marlins could

I liked the way Ventura used the bullpen this weekend. Lindstrom was the only reliever who had any real problems, and with good defense behind him, the problems didn't prove fatal.

Today's ninth was easier than Saturday's ninth for a couple of reasons, one of which was the Sox having Reed close the game, but had Reed saved Saturday night's game, he might not have been as sharp Sunday afternoon. The Sox also added to the lead in the bottom of the eighth. It was good to see Ramirez grounding out to the right side after the leadoff double instead of bunting.

There is no question that the White Sox are playing better now than they were a month ago. Viciedo, in particular, is quietly having a pretty good offensive year after coming back from his injury, before which he was unimpressive.

It's too bad the Sox let so many games get away from them in April because they are only four games behind the Tigers. They are only 2.5 games behind the Indians.

What hasn't changed is that the White Sox will only go as far as their pitching and defense will take them this season. What has changed since that losing stretch that started with the lost series in D.C. is that the team is executing. If they keep executing, they will stay in the race.

SI1020
05-26-2013, 05:49 PM
You guys are killing me.

roylestillman
05-26-2013, 05:57 PM
My first Family Sunday game of the year and I have to admit, there is a whole different vibe and energy to the ballpark. Not only are there a lot of families with little kids taking advantage of activities around the park, there also seemed to be a lot of groups of teens around the lower bowl. All acting goofy and having fun, but not obnoxious. Sox are building their base with these games. Doesn't hurt to win, too.

One bad note, weeks ago it somebody on this site noted a gay slur that had been scrawled next to Konerkp's name on the 2005 display on the southern ramps of Gate 5. It's still there.

voodoochile
05-26-2013, 06:16 PM
My first Family Sunday game of the year and I have to admit, there is a whole different vibe and energy to the ballpark. Not only are there a lot of families with little kids taking advantage of activities around the park, there also seemed to be a lot of groups of teens around the lower bowl. All acting goofy and having fun, but not obnoxious. Sox are building their base with these games. Doesn't hurt to win, too.

One bad note, weeks ago it somebody on this site noted a gay slur that had been scrawled next to Konerkp's name on the 2005 display on the southern ramps of Gate 5. It's still there.

Should send that info in to Brooks or whoever you have an email address for. I'm sure they will have it removed.

The Immigrant
05-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Took all three kids to the game today and had a blast. Lots of little ones throughout the ballpark and very little riffraff. I thought Axelrod was done in the 3rd (I swear I saw Santiago start to stretch out for a moment) but he battled back and finished the job.

Really boneheaded baserunning mistake by Konerko but otherwise a pretty good game all around.

The Immigrant
05-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Should send that info in to Brooks or whoever you have an email address for. I'm sure they will have it removed.

Also tell them it's time to replace Scott Podsednik as the player the kids race on the Fundamentals deck. I'll spring $30 for the paper cutout of Rios, Ramirez or De Aza.

vinny
05-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Took all three kids to the game today and had a blast. Lots of little ones throughout the ballpark and very little riffraff. I thought Axelrod was done in the 3rd (I swear I saw Santiago start to stretch out for a moment) but he battled back and finished the job.

Really boneheaded baserunning mistake by Konerko but otherwise a pretty good game all around.

You did. Jones was actually warmed and ready to go, thank God he wasn't brought in to throw gasoline on the fire. Jones and Santiago each also got another throwing session in the 7th.

Great game after Ax settled down. That foul from Viciedo in the 2nd landed just two rows in front of us in 154.

Also noted that for the third consecutive time, they changed how the kids' running of the bases was handled.

DumpJerry
05-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Also tell them it's time to replace Scott Podsednik as the player the kids race on the Fundamentals deck. I'll spring $30 for the paper cutout of Rios, Ramirez or De Aza.
Pods paid good money for the placement.

Cub fans owe us a big "thank you" for getting back at The Fish for 2003.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................mediocrit y.

Saw this blurb from Fred Mitchell's game wrap story at the Tribune web site. THought it was interesting:

"Sunday's walk-up total at U.S. Cellular Field was nearly 2,600, the largest of the season."

Win and they will come?????

Lip

The Immigrant
05-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................mediocrit y.

Saw this blurb from Fred Mitchell's game wrap story at the Tribune web site. THought it was interesting:

"Sunday's walk-up total at U.S. Cellular Field was nearly 2,600, the largest of the season."

Lip

It was a decent crowd today. Attendance is ahead of last year's pace.

Railsplitter
05-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Fish filleted.
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

tstrike2000
05-26-2013, 09:06 PM

The team just has to buy into it, hook, line and sinker.

Shoeless
05-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Good game! I only get to go once in a while.

I will say, however: there is a special place in hell for those who start the wave at sporting events. Right field seats attempted it three times but only succeeded once.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 09:17 PM
The team just has to buy into it, hook, line and sinker.

With these puns, we're having to cast a wide net.

Thankfully, nothing smells fishy.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 09:18 PM
I will say, however: there is a special place in hell for those who start the wave at sporting events. Right field seats attempted it three times but only succeeded once.

The Cell is no place for The Wave, lest someone get thrown overboard.

ChiSoxGirl
05-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Good game! I only get to go once in a while.

Absolutely! The wave started in the bottom of the THIRD inning when the score was 4-3; not a blowout by any stretch of the imagination. What's worse is that the Sox have a sound byte for the damn thing. "Here comes the wave!" it says. The wave needs to go bye-bye. :tongue:

JB98
05-26-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm glad the Sox swept this team. The Marlins might be the worst team in baseball. A better hitting team probably would have gotten to Axelrod today, but a win is a win. The bullpen pitched well, especially Crain and Reed.

Dibbs
05-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow I didn't think we would get to .500. Now I get to invest time before I ultimately get let down again.

amsteel
05-26-2013, 11:12 PM

Apparently as long as the team and weather aren't awful and the tickets and parking are cheap, they will come.

Noneck
05-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Apparently as long as the team and weather aren't awful and the tickets and parking are cheap, they will come.

Yea I can see it on sundays but I'll wait to see if it happens on weekdays.

Foulke You
05-27-2013, 01:50 AM
I'm glad the Sox swept this team. The Marlins might be the worst team in baseball. A better hitting team probably would have gotten to Axelrod today, but a win is a win. The bullpen pitched well, especially Crain and Reed.
Axelrod brought very little to the mound with him today but somehow got through 5 innings. As you pointed out, the competition he faced certainly helped. A more patient offense like Boston would have probably let him walk himself into way more trouble than the Marlins gave him. However, the Sox did what they had to do and that is beat a team they needed to beat.

There was a lot to like about this game. Hector Gimenez made a great block at home plate receiving a nice recovery throw by Rios. Nice opposite field bomb from Dunn got things rolling. De Aza splitting the gap and taking the lead right back. Crain and Reed doing their thing. Let's beat up on the baby bears next and get fully back in this Central race.

howzer12
05-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Too bad the Sox have no more games scheduled against the Marlins.

Hartman
05-27-2013, 09:31 AM

WOW :gulp:

ChiSoxGal85
05-27-2013, 10:44 AM
That's pretty impressive. :thumbsup:

October26
05-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Just for the halibut, speed-waching the game via DVR now since I missed it live. Because I like to see the Sox reel in the Marlins.

Sox are certainly more fun to watch these days.

Awesome post! :D:

Great to see the Sox playing well and winning games. Don't stop now boys! :bandance:

roylestillman
05-27-2013, 11:19 AM

That's more modern technology than the real one.

ChiSoxGirl
05-27-2013, 08:00 PM

That might be the greatest sports room set-up I've ever seen! Your TV is encased in the scoreboard! :o:

DSpivack
05-27-2013, 09:55 PM

:worship: