Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Gillaspie is a pretty nice player

doublem23
05-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Bummed Peavy didn't get the SHO, but love that Juan Pierre noodle arm

vinny
05-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Peavy was great, and deserved the win. Thank God we actually got some situational hitting down in the bottom of the 9th.

Pick up a game on Detroit too.

:)

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Nice win and hooray for Peavy, he's a bulldog.

johnny bench
05-25-2013, 10:01 PM
NOW I can focus on the Hawks.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Gillaspie better keep playing when Beckham returns.

slavko
05-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Old Noodle Arm comes through again! Thanks, Juan. Time well spent, but it might have been a good idea to let Reed finish. Ah, why complain.

SI1020
05-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Keppinger getting some hits lately. I like that.

Noneck
05-25-2013, 10:12 PM
I like a slap hitter like Pierre but what a puss arm. Very little offense by the Sox again but its another win.

hoosiersoxfan
05-25-2013, 10:15 PM
A win tomorrow and they will have fought their way back to .500! Glad Jake got the win even though he couldn't complete the shutout.

I wonder what the Sox plan is when Beckham comes back. I'd assume he takes his spot at 2nd base but not sure what happens at 3rd. Gillespie has clearly been better than Keppinger so far so I'd stick with him and platoon Kepp at 2nd and 3rd on days off for Gordon and Conor.

Tragg
05-25-2013, 10:28 PM
On this team, Gillespie is a top hitter and critical to its success. But really, you'd like to get to a point where he is your middle to bottom level hitter. But on this team, he's a standout.

dickallen15
05-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Why is the credit going to Gillaspie and nothing to Wise?

tstrike2000
05-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Another awesome effort from Peavy. Thankfully, we've had him and Sale anchoring this rotation. Another nice game for Gillaspie. I'm not sure why he's batting seventh and Dunn is still cleanup. Hopefully, Konerko can keep improving. And lately, finally a Keppinger we can get on board with.

Railsplitter
05-25-2013, 11:04 PM
:bandance::bandance:

FielderJones
05-25-2013, 11:04 PM
In the third inning, some dude about 20 rows below me in the 130 scout seats proposed to his girlfriend on the scoreboard. The fans around them applauded. Seconds later, Alexei doubled in the first run to Old Noodle Arm. Congrats to the lucky couple!

TDog
05-25-2013, 11:11 PM
On this team, Gillespie is a top hitter and critical to its success. But really, you'd like to get to a point where he is your middle to bottom level hitter. But on this team, he's a standout.

I've been watching Gillaspie for a couple of years. If he is a middle to the bottom level hitter in your lineup, you have an excellent lineup. I always believed he could hit at the major league level if he had a chance, but I'm disappointed that he's striking out so much.

I really like these sorts of games, although I just got the highlights. Following it took me back to the 1960s. I even had some sort of Pavlovian expectation for an appearance by the Hamm's bear.

Really, though, Ramirez at second with none out after doubling in De Aza, should have come around to score. The Sox could have expanded the lead with productive outs. It would have made things easier for Peavy. It was nice to see him gut it out, even though he was struggling at the end against hitters who had already faced him three times.

Getting Nolasco out of the game was huge, but you knew that with no margin for error, he wasn't going to face Dunn again. (Funny how Mike Dunn's job in this series seems to be to get Adam Dunn out with the game on the line.) The defensive replacement who is supposed to preserve the 1-0 lead gets the leadoff double, and a pitch later, he scores on a hit dumped into the outfield, the Sox having thoroughly scouted the Marlins left fielder and knowing a throw would be wanting in both strength and accuracy.

I like that the bullpen got the night off tonight. You don't often see that in games won 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth anymore.

It's also interesting that Gimenez started his second straight game. But maybe I missed something.

vinny
05-25-2013, 11:13 PM
It's also interesting that Gimenez started his second straight game. But maybe I missed something.

Flowers was having back spasms, per Merkin. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

tstrike2000
05-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Flowers was having back spasms, per Merkin. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Rest him, don't want to overdo it.

Golden Sox
05-25-2013, 11:20 PM
1) There's an old saying: The White Sox are coming tra la, tra la.
2) I realize it's still early but I can't help but wonder, if the Royals keep losing games, will the Royals manager be the first manager to be fired this year? I kept hearing that this was the year the Royals were going to turn it around and contend for the Playoffs. If they keep losing I would think some sort of change might be in order.

tstrike2000
05-25-2013, 11:40 PM
1) There's an old saying: The White Sox are coming tra la, tra la.
2) I realize it's still early but I can't help but wonder, if the Royals keep losing games, will the Royals manager be the first manager to be fired this year? I kept hearing that this was the year the Royals were going to turn it around and contend for the Playoffs. If they keep losing I would think some sort of change might be in order.

Who knows. For the last 20+ years the Royals have been supposedly the next up and coming team but have always blown. They've addressed some of their pitching issues by getting Shields, but he's not getting any run support.

Lip Man 1
05-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Offense is still **** but it was enough to get the win.

Peavy piched great save for that one mistake.

Sox have now won nine of the last 13.

Lip

DumpJerry
05-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Keppinger, Gillaspie, Peavy and Sale extensions........Rick Hahn is looking good!

doublem23
05-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Who knows. For the last 20+ years the Royals have been supposedly the next up and coming team but have always blown. They've addressed some of their pitching issues by getting Shields, but he's not getting any run support.

Some of their young hitters have not developed at the MLB level as expected, as well...

Hosmer - .263/.329/.333 - 1 HR, only 8 total XBH, 12 RBI
Moustakas - .174/.244/.299 - 4 HR, 12 RBI

JB98
05-26-2013, 12:53 AM
As someone who never liked Juan Pierre, I approve of tonight's game. :bandance:

Tragg
05-26-2013, 02:39 AM
I've been watching Gillaspie for a couple of years. If he is a middle to the bottom level hitter in your lineup, you have an excellent lineup. I always believed he could hit at the major league level if he had a chance, but I'm disappointed that he's striking out so much.

Well, I want the Sox to have an excellent team.
He doesn't have much power; his obp is okay with no power, but nothing special. Like I said, on this team, he's a blessing. If our catcher, and 2B had his numbers, we'd be a lot better.

Tonight we played the Marlins, who are probably baseball's worst (and are just awful even if they aren't the worst). yea, a productive out would have given us a margin, but 2 or 3 runs won't win most games.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Only 4 games out, once again the Central is there for the taking. If this franchise was run like a big market team we would be in the playoffs every year. We struggle beating the Marlins what might be the worst team ever with 2 squeakers. Oh well, win today and get back to .500 and go on from there.

vinny
05-26-2013, 08:11 AM
The Sox won this game only because the Marlins give their starters even less run support than the Sox give theirs.

Chez
05-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Conor is fortunate that ball found a hole as he should have been trying to hit the ball to the right side. Jake was great. Let's keep it going.

white sox bill
05-26-2013, 09:07 AM
When I saw the ball was hit sharply to left field I thought for sure Wise would put the brakes on at 3rd, when he kept running I thought out for sure. Then I realized it was Juan in left field. Rest is history. Anyone with a better arm would have likely throw D Wise out given how shallow they were playing and how hard the ball was hit.

AlleghenySoxFan
05-26-2013, 09:16 AM
When I saw the ball was hit sharply to left field I thought for sure Wise would put the brakes on at 3rd, when he kept running I thought out for sure. Then I realized it was Juan in left field. Rest is history. Anyone with a better arm would have likely throw D Wise out given how shallow they were playing and how hard the ball was hit.

Anyone else out in left and Wise isn't sent home.

kufram
05-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Maybe Gillaspie recognized that the pitches were going to tail away from left handed hitters and that there was a huge hole at shortstop and put it in exactly the right place for the situation and the 3rd base coach knew who was in left field.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Kudos to Wise for getting on base. Kudos to Gillaspie for making contact. Kudos to McEwing for knowing Pierre has a weak arm.

SCCWS
05-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Keppinger, Gillaspie, Peavy and Sale extensions........Rick Hahn is looking good!

You forgot Wise

Tragg
05-26-2013, 11:05 AM
You forgot Wise

Where would the Sox be without him?

Kudos to Wise for getting on base. Kudos to Gillaspie for making contact. Kudos to McEwing for knowing Pierre has a weak arm.

And kudos to the home plate ump for actually watching the play and properly calling him safe.

slavko
05-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Kudos to the manager for having a pre-game meeting where this stuff is discussed. All managers do, right? Or should, if they have a shred of sense.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Maybe Gillaspie recognized that the pitches were going to tail away from left handed hitters and that there was a huge hole at shortstop and put it in exactly the right place for the situation and the 3rd base coach knew who was in left field.

Gillaspie was quoted in the Tribune this morning saying that he should have hit the ball to the right side to get Wise to 3rd base with less than two out and didn't. He said he got a little lucky on that at-bat.

And that's OK, luck is part of the game.

Lip

white sox bill
05-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Where would the Sox be without him?

And kudos to the home plate ump for actually watching the play and properly calling him safe.
Even Angel couldnt blow this one

DickAllen72
05-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Yep! Too bad he didn't sign an experienced catcher though. A left handed hitting one would have been great.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Kudos to the manager for having a pre-game meeting where this stuff is discussed. All managers do, right? Or should, if they have a shred of sense.

I doubt Ozzie ever did, at least after 2005.