View Full Version : *Official* "Don't fall down Tyler!!!" 5/24 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2013, 10:31 PM
What a game. Discuss.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2013, 10:32 PM
An extra inning win no less

Danks wasn't bad...not bad at all.

After that putrid exhibition in the last of the 10th it was nice to see somebody come through in the 11th. Thought they were going to urinate away another golden chance.

All's well that ends well.

Lip

ohiosoxfan
05-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Wonder if Hawk is going to get a call from the commissioner for his remarks and reaction to the Hernandez debacle. . .

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Wonder if Hawk is going to get a call from the commissioner for his remarks and reaction to the Hernandez debacle. . .

If he does, Uncle Bud is a moron.

johnny bench
05-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Paulie's back

FielderJones
05-24-2013, 10:34 PM

The sooner replay is expanded in baseball, the better. Same with the electronic strike zone. The human element sucks.

ohiosoxfan
05-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Didn't he get talked to by JR last year or the year before for some things he said about Joe West?

Lip Man 1
05-24-2013, 10:35 PM
You will never, ever see a non human calling balls and strikes. That according to Joe Torre this week to Dan Patrick.

Lip

Zakath
05-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Keppinger basically bailed Hernandez out with the game-winner in the 11th. That was a CB Bucknor-level call. You'd have to think with this call and the absolute blown call in Cleveland with the A's, he's going to catch some attention from the league office.

Bad thing is, given the normal rotation of umpires, Hernandez will be behind the plate tomorrow.

doublem23
05-24-2013, 10:39 PM
You will never, ever see a non human calling balls and strikes. That according to Joe Torre this week to Dan Patrick.

Lip

Thankfully Joe Torre and the rest of his moronic ilk have to die eventually

DumpJerry
05-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Should we take up a collection so Hernandez can buy some glasses? He's behind the Plate tomorrow night with Jake on the Hump.

slavko
05-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Hawk wasn't "over the top" about Hernandez, so he might get off. Stats freaks will tell you that 1 in 5 bang-bang calls are gotten wrong. That was one of them. Some of the bullpen underachievers did OK tonight. Let's hope Paulie's power comes back. The contact certainly has.

Thanks for ending it, Keppie.

Soxman219
05-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Angel Hernandez should be fired. Period.

doublem23
05-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Hawk wasn't "over the top" about Hernandez, so he might get off. Stats freaks will tell you that 1 in 5 bang-bang calls are gotten wrong. That was one of them. Some of the bullpen underachievers did OK tonight. Let's hope Paulie's power comes back. The contact certainly has.

I really have a problem classifying that as a "bang-bang" play. Alex was clearly safe. If you can't get that call right you should not be umpiring Major League Baseball games.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Sox have won by the way eight of their last 12, probably the best stretch of the year.

Unfortunately with umpires it appears to be the same umpires blowing calls time after time. I thought when Selig took them over that things would change since they didn't have as much power anymore via the union but you can make the case things have gotten worse.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Hawk got reprimanded for ripping Mark Wegner (not Joe West) after he ejected Jose Quintana in Tampa Bay, IIRC.

TDog
05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
There are some teams that won't give you a chance to win the game twice. Fortunately, the Marlins weren't such a team tonight, and unfortunately it only counts as one win. The runner on third with one out that didn't score after Gimenez struck out in the third could have given the Sox enough to win in nine, but Gillaspie was only at second when the Gimenez at bat began. And Gimenez did go on to have a good offense night.

Credit the White Sox with coming back in the 11th after the bad call kept them from winning in the 10th. I liked the way Konerko got it started with one out. I liked Viciedo, of all hitters, hitting behind the runner and getting him to third and I liked Keppinger hitting the ball though the infield with the third baseman playing in.

It was a nice outing from Danks. It wasn't a great night for the starter to go just six in a game that would go extras with the long reliever still resting after his last start. I would have liked to have seen Konerko and Chad Qualls relive a special memory, but it was a good ballgame with the bullpen tough when it needed to be and one the Sox and Nate Jones needed to win.

Huisj
05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I really have a problem classifying that as a "bang-bang" play. Alex was clearly safe. If you can't get that call right you should not be umpiring Major League Baseball games.

Agreed. That was more of a "bang.....bang" play. Absolutely pathetic. And if Harrelson get's talked to, even more pathetic.

doublem23
05-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Hawk got reprimanded for ripping Mark Wegner (not Joe West) after he ejected Jose Quintana in Tampa Bay, IIRC.

That Wegner rant was pretty epic, and it was based on opinion (he doesn't understand baseball!). Hawk was much more restrained on Hernandez and there's absolutely no doubt that he blew that call.

slavko
05-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Credit the White Sox with coming back in the 11th after the bad call kept them from winning in the 10th. I liked the way Konerko got it started with one out. I liked Viciedo, of all hitters, hitting behind the runner and getting him to third and I liked Keppinger hitting the ball though the infield with the third baseman playing in.

Playing the infield in was the key. Doesn't it increase BA's by 80 points? At normal depth, it was likely a double play.

Chez
05-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Just got home from the ball park. Nice to get a win, but I'm curious why RV didn't let Reed start the 10th? I think he got the Marlins out on 7 pitches in the 9th. The Marlins had mostly RH hitters coming up in the 10th and RV brings in Thornton (who has been struggling this week). I hate to pick nits, but the move made no sense to me.

TDog
05-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Playing the infield in was the key. Doesn't it increase BA's by 80 points? At normal depth, it was likely a double play.

Some people say 80 points. Some say 100 points. It probably depends on the hitter's ability to make contact. Whether tonight's game-ending hit would have been a double play at normal depth depends on how far the third baseman would have had to range for the ball. You would like to think Keppinger hit it where he did because the infield was playing in at the corners, and, really, there's no reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt. If the third baseman has to leave his feet, the double play is probably lost, and he probably isn't going to get the runner out at the plate.

Gene Mauch, when he managed the Expos, used to pull in an outfielder to add another infielder in such situations. The only time I saw it work though was when the hitter struck out.

FielderJones
05-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Just got home from the ball park. Nice to get a win, but I'm curious why RV didn't let Reed start the 10th? I think he got the Marlins out on 7 pitches in the 9th. The Marlins had mostly RH hitters coming up in the 10th and RV brings in Thornton (who has been struggling this week). I hate to pick nits, but the move made no sense to me.

We're going to need Reed tomorrow (when I go), and probably Sunday as well. Short stints to keep his arm ready.

JB98
05-25-2013, 12:05 AM

The Sox don't have too many relievers who excel when sent out for a second inning of work. That's not the way it should be, but that's the way it is.

Also, it's a long season and Crain and Reed have already had a lot of work. In particular, they need to be careful with Crain, who is on pace for about 90 appearances.

RCWHITESOX
05-25-2013, 12:06 AM

I have to disagree with you. I like you believe that instant replay is important; but so does the human element that has made this game great over the years. I hope Joe Torre and staff continue their good work and live on.

doublem23
05-25-2013, 12:55 AM
I have to disagree with you. I like you believe that instant replay is important; but so does the human element that has made this game great over the years. I hope Joe Torre and staff continue their good work and live on.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you, I can't imagine anything else in which we would continue to allow such egregious human error to continue unabated when the technology to rectify much of those mistakes exists.

That said, can we at least find some middle ground in saying that if we're going to have human umps, they be put through rigorous evaluations and competition every year? How do we keep letting **** umps like Angel Hernandez and Joe West seemingly hold their job forever? If we're going to stick it out with people, can we at least hold them accountable to be the best umpires in the business? Just as players are expected to perform at a certain level, it's becoming ridiculous how many times per night these guys blow a call. I can count three pretty awful blown calls around the MLB tonight alone

Brian26
05-25-2013, 01:10 AM
How do Hawk and Stoney not bring up the PK homer off Qualls in 2005 tonight?

Tragg
05-25-2013, 02:27 AM
When Angel Hernandez is allowed to umpire, replay won't help.

Marqhead
05-25-2013, 04:28 AM
How do Hawk and Stoney not bring up the PK homer off Qualls in 2005 tonight?

Farmer did.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2013, 06:25 AM

Lip

Joe Torre and Bud Selig won't live forever.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2013, 06:26 AM

Hey, we agree. :)

socko82
05-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Nice win, Keppinger and Pauly seem to finally be coming around.

On the down side, after his hot week, Adam seems back to being Adam, and yet another error by our catchers.

johnny bench
05-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Waking up in third place beats hell out of last place. Progress is being made.

Railsplitter
05-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Our guys needed extras to beat a team as bad as the Fish.

Still, Sox win nanner dances
:bandance:

SCCWS
05-25-2013, 08:19 AM
I will have to respectfully disagree with you, I can't imagine anything else in which we would continue to allow such egregious human error to continue unabated when the technology to rectify much of those mistakes exists.

That said, can we at least find some middle ground in saying that if we're going to have human umps, they be put through rigorous evaluations and competition every year? How do we keep letting **** umps like Angel Hernandez and Joe West seemingly hold their job forever? If we're going to stick it out with people, can we at least hold them accountable to be the best umpires in the business? Just as players are expected to perform at a certain level, it's becoming ridiculous how many times per night these guys blow a call. I can count three pretty awful blown calls around the MLB tonight alone

I like your second choice. I think they should use technology to rate the umpires. Certainly umpires should be rated both at the minor and major league levels. If a guy like Hernandez is missing calls, send him down to the minors until he shows improvement. You may have an umpire who is having a vision issue, an injury that limits his mobility to move around to get better views or even a guy who is partying too much and not giving his best effort on the job.

I am not a fan of letting technology call balls and strikes, determine goal or no goal, touchdown or just short. field goal or wide right etc.

SI1020
05-25-2013, 08:43 AM
I am not a fan of letting technology call balls and strikes, determine goal or no goal, touchdown or just short. field goal or wide right etc. I'm an OF but I'm with the youngbloods on this one. We have the technology to get it right, so just get it right dammit.

TomBradley72
05-25-2013, 08:43 AM
i have to disagree with you. I like you believe that instant replay is important; but so does the human element that has made this game great over the years. I hope joe torre and staff continue their good work and live on.

+1

doublem23
05-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Farmer did.

I feel like either Hawk or Stone did, too, just after the fact. I feel like an inning later one of them said something like "I wish Paul could have relived his favorite at bat against Qualls last inning" or something like that

white sox bill
05-25-2013, 10:01 AM
When we had runners on in the 11th I kept thinking, dammit just keep the ball to the left side of the diamond so numnuts wont have to be involved in the play!

TaylorStSox
05-25-2013, 10:07 AM

First, I hate using closers in non-save situations. Secondly, you don't want a closer to get warmed up, pitch, then rest between innings and come back out. You're just asking for a blow up.

SOXSINCE'70
05-25-2013, 11:04 AM

I already knew that.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
05-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Yes,he did.

SOXSINCE'70
05-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Waking up in third place beats hell out of last place. Progress is being made.

Next step: .500 .Then,we'll talk.:cool:

hawkjt
05-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Good win. Much needed,the way the Tigers are streaking...must stay within 5 games of tigers.

I agree that there are certain umps who are chronically error-prone.
Hernanadez is certainly on that list,along with Marquez,and Buckner.
West also.

I am not for electronic umping,but am for electronic monitoring of umps,and their performance....and for sending them down to the minors for a season,bringing up the best of the minor league guys. These guys are not Supreme Court Justices...they should be subject to demotion.
Hawk better not be reprimanded for his understandable observations.

Rios continues to be Stallion-like...PK coming to life,slowly,and the two out rbis are becoming a habit...love it.
Gimenez seems to be deserving of more starts vs righthanded starters,imo.
He is not a great defender,but neither is Tyler flowers,and at least Hector makes contact more often at the plate,from the left side.
I think if he got more at bats,he might hit for a decent average.

Kepp is starting to make regular contact...progress.

Finally, Danks did his job. Kept them in the game,despite not breaking 90mph...the thing is...I am not certain that he needs to throw 94,as a lefty. Leftys can win with less than overpowering stuff,as we all know from Burls. Can Danks recover his pop? I think so,over time. In the meantime,he can be a crafty lefty, if he throws strikes. This was about the most efficient Danks I have seen in a few years...like it.

SOXSINCE'70
05-25-2013, 11:10 AM
"Don't fall down,Tyler!!":D:

It's now up there with "C'mon,Timo!","Joe...Crede!!", "C'mon,AJ!!"*
"You gotta be beepin' me" and "What are you doing,Wegner?!?!?" as my favorite Hawkisms.

* Actually,Steve Stone uttered this one in ST 2012. AJ had hit an inside the park HR.Neither Hawk nor Stone knew if he'd beat the throw to home plate.AJ
just beat the relay and scored.I found it hysterical.

doublem23
05-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Next step: .500 .Then,we'll talk.:cool:

:nod:

Seven straight games against the Marlins and Cubs... Sox better take advantage of this gift the schedule makers left them

DonnieDarko
05-25-2013, 02:26 PM
As an aside...was I the only one who laughed my ass off to Hawk's reaction to the blown call in the 10th? It sounded like someone killed his dog or something.

I actually am thankful that Hawk did that: because of his inanity, I didn't get nearly as angry as I thought I was going to be.

tstrike2000
05-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Lip

That's fine, if they could just get the humans that are C.B. Bucknor, Angel Hernandez, and Joe West out of MLB, then things would start looking up.

TheVulture
05-25-2013, 03:49 PM
First, I hate using closers in non-save situations. Secondly, you don't want a closer to get warmed up, pitch, then rest between innings and come back out. You're just asking for a blow up.
You can't keep your closer for a save in extra innings at home, because it's not possible to have a save situation. Every inning is as close to a save situation as you are going to get in extra innings at home, and there's no sense in keeping your best reliever on the pine if you're trying to win the game IMO.

slavko
05-25-2013, 03:55 PM
You can't keep your closer for a save in extra innings at home, because it's not possible to have a save situation. Every inning is as close to a save situation as you are going to get in extra innings at home, and there's no sense in keeping your best reliever on the pine if you're trying to win the game IMO.

They're not going to give in just because you have superior logic. Rules is rules and we're going to follow them even if they keep our best pitcher out of the game.

RKMeibalane
05-25-2013, 05:45 PM

To be replaced by younger morons with similar agendas. Baseball is the foremost example of the "good ole' boys club" on this planet.