PDA

View Full Version : Phegley

LITTLE NELL
05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
What's the skinny on him?
Someone a couple weeks ago posted that he stinks.
Right now he's batting .333 with 10 homers and 28 ribbies.
Flowers should stink like that.

35th and Shields
05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
I hope they give him a chance soon assuming Flowers continues to struggle. Really couldn't be any worse except for his defense, though I haven't been impressed by Flowers defense anways. We need to find out who are Catcher is going to be moving forward. Flowers is not the answer.

doublem23
05-23-2013, 04:28 PM
30 or so games of AAA production at age 25 doesn't automatically erase years of watching a guy's development and I think the book on Phegley is he's probably a borderline at best MLB player. FWIW, Phegley's a career .261/.319/.409 MiLB hitter while Flowers was a .275/.391/.484 hitter.

That being said, I say why the **** not with Phegley. I would be stunned if he turned out to be any worse than Flowers has been to this point.

aryzner
05-23-2013, 04:32 PM
All I can say is that Flowers' 2nd AB vs Buchholz last night was beyond awful. Swung at a pitch WAY out of the zone and then took strike 3 called.

thomas35forever
05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Bring him up. His caught/passed ball ratio couldn't be much worse.

EMachine10
05-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Lots of talk here in the Minor League Catch-All : http://whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137572&page=6

Domeshot17
05-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Phegley's Home and Road splits are also really odd. As some have pointed out, its more likely a hot start than something sustainable, but stranger things have happened. I still think you have to give Flowers until the all-star break to prove he can't be the guy we thought he could. Heck, Beckham got 3+ years!

Crestani
05-23-2013, 05:36 PM
30 or so games of AAA production at age 25 doesn't automatically erase years of watching a guy's development and I think the book on Phegley is he's probably a borderline at best MLB player. FWIW, Phegley's a career .261/.319/.409 MiLB hitter while Flowers was a .275/.391/.484 hitter.

That being said, I say why the **** not with Phegley. I would be stunned if he turned out to be any worse than Flowers has been to this point.

Don't forget he won the gold glove for cathers so wouldn't it be nice to see someone who could block the ball behind the plate as well as hit..??

mark1529
05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
is there anybody out there who is worth taking a chance on?? somebody,anybody???:?:

EMachine10
05-23-2013, 06:28 PM
As mentioned in the Minor League thread, Phegley dealt with a rare blood disorder that carved into some of his development in the few seasons immediately following his draft year in 2009. He may cool off and be an afterthought, but it's not right to simply turn the other cheek and disregard him because he came out of nowhere and is 25 years old in AAA.

doublem23
05-24-2013, 09:08 AM
As mentioned in the Minor League thread, Phegley dealt with a rare blood disorder that carved into some of his development in the few seasons immediately following his draft year in 2009. He may cool off and be an afterthought, but it's not right to simply turn the other cheek and disregard him because he came out of nowhere and is 25 years old in AAA.

Age is still the #1 most important stat when you're looking at minor league players, though. And I'll admit that Phegley's health makes him a special case, however, any time you see someone dominating a minor league level who is over age for that level you have to wonder if it's primarily the player's still level or age... Only one translates well the next step up the ladder.

kufram
05-24-2013, 09:32 AM
It would be nice to find a quick fix for the 8 position but I think one needs to take into account what a change might mean to a starting staff that has been pretty good all year. Flowers clearly has not performed well but do we really want someone new and unproven to step in at this point? I'm not sure.

LITTLE NELL
05-24-2013, 09:36 AM
According to this he won't be called up in the very near future.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130522&content_id=48295478&notebook_id=48335946&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

SephClone89
05-24-2013, 09:46 AM

:?:

EMachine10
05-24-2013, 09:56 AM
:?:
Some choose to simply see his age and disregard him as a player, when there may be a little more to the story.

SephClone89
05-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Some choose to simply see his age and disregard him as a player, when there may be a little more to the story.

Yeah, but that's not what "turn the other cheek" means.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/20305852-419/catcher-josh-phegley-has-been-minor-bright-spot.html

Lip

TheVulture
05-25-2013, 06:00 PM
any time you see someone dominating a minor league level who is over age for that level you have to wonder if it's primarily the player's still level or age...

I would think that would be more of a concern at the lower levels than it is at AAA. The only higher level is the majors, and there's no expected age at that level. Either you can hit major league pitching or you can't, doesn't matter if you're twenty or thirty five. And there's only one way to find out. Besides, he's a catcher, they usually develop more slowly anyway.

doublem23
05-25-2013, 07:47 PM
I would think that would be more of a concern at the lower levels than it is at AAA. The only higher level is the majors, and there's no expected age at that level. Either you can hit major league pitching or you can't, doesn't matter if you're twenty or thirty five. And there's only one way to find out. Besides, he's a catcher, they usually develop more slowly anyway.

That's true, but the flip to that coin is that AAA is populated by a lot of MLB burnouts and never-will-be's. These are guys who are the prototypical AAAA players; not necessarily good enough to be in the Majors, but still valuable to teams for organizational depth.

SI1020
05-25-2013, 08:08 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/20305852-419/catcher-josh-phegley-has-been-minor-bright-spot.html

Lip Not much encouragement in that story.

rdivaldi
05-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Age is still the #1 most important stat when you're looking at minor league players, though. And I'll admit that Phegley's health makes him a special case, however, any time you see someone dominating a minor league level who is over age for that level you have to wonder if it's primarily the player's still level or age... Only one translates well the next step up the ladder.

I really wouldn't call 25 "over age". AAA is full of guys in their mid 20's who are waiting patiently for their first shot.

mzh
05-25-2013, 08:25 PM
I really wouldn't call 25 "over age". AAA is full of guys in their mid 20's who are waiting patiently for their first shot.
Connor Gillaspie is 25 and getting his first shot right now as we speak and doing pretty damn well, so this is correct.

vinny
05-25-2013, 08:40 PM
We might see Phegley sooner than expected. Flowers is having back spasms.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130525&content_id=48542970&notebook_id=48586444&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

doublem23
05-26-2013, 12:48 AM

Those guys usually don't turn out to be solid MLB players, though, they're the kind of AAAA-type, organizational depth players you find in AAA.

FWIW, a small sampling of the names you'll find at the top of the International League's leaderboard in IP so far through 2013: Zach Stewart, Jair Jurrgens, Ross Ohlendorf, Alex Colome...

Wash outs and a busted prospect...

Connor Gillaspie is 25 and getting his first shot right now as we speak and doing pretty damn well, so this is correct.

That's true, though part of his problem was that he was blocked in the Giants organization. It's not that I don't think Phegley can play at this level, it's just that people need to have a tempered expectation of what he can do here. If he can hit the Mendoza line and not have a passed ball every god damn game, that would be enough to be considered successful.

rdivaldi
05-26-2013, 02:52 PM
It's not that I don't think Phegley can play at this level, it's just that people need to have a tempered expectation of what he can do here. If he can hit the Mendoza line and not have a passed ball every god damn game, that would be enough to be considered successful.

LOL, those are some "tempered" expectations.

TheVulture
05-27-2013, 01:21 PM
LOL, those are some "tempered" expectations.

I think we can all agree one thing Phegley has going for him at this point is a pretty low bar to pass over.