PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten baseball tourney who u got

Winningugly23
05-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Anyone else gonna be watching this tourney I going for Illinois..shocking I know..

rdivaldi
05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
The DVR is set, go Hoosiers!

Winningugly23
05-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Illinois is up right now vs the gophers 2-1 bottom 3

Winningugly23
05-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Illini vs gophers game was pretty good.

Huisj
05-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Is there any point to playing the tournament at a 40000 seat MLB stadium? Sure, great facility, but it just looks depressing and weird with nobody there. Smaller college stadiums are so much better for college games.

Bobby Thigpen
05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
I have no idea why, because I really like baseball, but I've never, ever had any interest in college baseball.

And this is from a guy who would rather watch college football than pro.

That said, I'll take Illinois? Why? Their school colors are the same as ours.

Winningugly23
05-23-2013, 11:08 AM
You should watch some really good baseball, but to each their own I guess..

Bobby Thigpen
05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
You should watch some really good baseball, but to each their own I guess..
Isn't that what the pros do?

I mean that argument could be made about professional football and why shouldn't I like that more than college. I just like the style of play- offenses and defense more in college. Is there a comparable style difference, other than the bats, in college?

doublem23
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
I have no idea why, because I really like baseball, but I've never, ever had any interest in college baseball.

I would assume it is because most top prep ballplayers forgo college and jump straight to the professional ranks. NCAA football and basketball is littered with NFL and NBA caliber players who are just biding their time in college before they can jump to the pros. In baseball, sure, there are lot of good collegiate players who will have successful MLB careers, but if you're looking for the best 18-21 year old baseball players in the country, you're going to look at the Midwest League and Carolina League before you look at the Big 10.

This is especially true up north where the quality of play significantly lags behind our friends down South or out West.

Bobby Thigpen
05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
I would assume it is because most top prep ballplayers forgo college and jump straight to the professional ranks. NCAA football and basketball is littered with NFL and NBA caliber players who are just biding their time in college before they can jump to the pros. In baseball, sure, there are lot of good collegiate players who will have successful MLB careers, but if you're looking for the best 18-21 year old baseball players in the country, you're going to look at the Midwest League and Carolina League before you look at the Big 10.

This is especially true up north where the quality of play significantly lags behind our friends down South or out West.
I'm sure that's part of it.

I also don't get the college world series. How many freaking games can you lose and still win the tournament? Isn't a tournament usually win or go home?

Winningugly23
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm sure that's part of it.

I also don't get the college world series. How many freaking games can you lose and still win the tournament? Isn't a tournament usually win or go home?
Most baseball tournaments are double elimination just like the college world series...these guys go all out, to me it's really fun baseball but iam pretty much a baseball junkie so that might explain it....Then again I coach cal Ripken all star to 11-12 year old and I enjoys watch the other games my teams not playing as well..maybe I need baseball AA..

rdivaldi
05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Is there any point to playing the tournament at a 40000 seat MLB stadium? Sure, great facility, but it just looks depressing and weird with nobody there. Smaller college stadiums are so much better for college games.

Well, it is the morning game between 2 lower seeded teams. I bet the night game between the hometown Gophers and the nationally ranked Hoosiers will see many more fans.

Winningugly23
05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Well, it is the morning game between 2 lower seeded teams. I bet the night game between the hometown Gophers and the nationally ranked Hoosiers will see many more fans.
Plus it was raining all day yesterday as well.

DumpJerry
05-23-2013, 04:03 PM

And this is from a guy who would rather watch college football than pro.

That said, I'll take Illinois? Why? Their school colors are the same as ours.
Metal bats.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Last year, the B1G baseball tournament ended in a bench-clearing brawl between Purdue and Indiana.

Huisj
05-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Well the official numbers say they drew a whopping 1761 fans to the night game with the hometown team. That could feel like an ok crowd in a nice small college stadium, but would feel tiny even at a Lansing Lugnuts game, let alone in an MLB stadium.

Winningugly23
05-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Last year, the B1G baseball tournament ended in a bench-clearing brawl between Purdue and Indiana.
I remember that it got pretty nasty.

rdivaldi
05-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Well the official numbers say they drew a whopping 1761 fans to the night game with the hometown team. That could feel like an ok crowd in a nice small college stadium, but would feel tiny even at a Lansing Lugnuts game, let alone in an MLB stadium.

Yeah, that was a bit disappointing. I wonder how well they would draw in Chicago? I imagine there 1- 2 million BIG alumni here.

rdivaldi
05-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Looking bad for Nebraska, this may end tonight with the favorites on top.

rdivaldi
05-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Looking bad for Nebraska, this may end tonight with the favorites on top.

Spoke too soon, awesome comeback by the Huskers. There could be a game tomorrow.

Bobby Thigpen
05-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah, that was a bit disappointing. I wonder how well they would draw in Chicago? I imagine there 1- 2 million BIG alumni here.
Probably the same way it draws in Minnesota.

It's not like these alumni flock out to Northwestern to watch their teams when they come to town.

rdivaldi
05-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Indiana wins it in walk-off fashion. Hopefully the Hoosiers host a regional next week.