PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-21 Quintana hurls no-no for 6.1; Kep tater; SOX 3 BOS 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Nicely done

Railsplitter
05-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Two in a row over the Faux Sox.
:bandance::bandance:

thomas35forever
05-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Keep this train rolling and go for the sweep tomorrow, even with Santiago on the mound.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Just enough offense. Nice job by Alexei and Alex on the insurance run. Good 1-2-3 ninth by Reed.

ChiSoxGal85
05-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Good things almost all the way around, except for a rather nerve-wracking top of the 8th, courtesy of Thornton, Lindstrom and Ramirez. Worked out ok though. :thumbsup:

Bucky F. Dent
05-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Don't know what to think about this team right now......Hell! I'll take the win!

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Seems like Alexei is hitting well in the two-hole, while Keppinger seems to hit better lower in the order.

Rios maintains the hitting streak.

tstrike2000
05-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Quintana awesome again. Keppinger is ready to break out, I just know it.

voodoochile
05-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Anytime you can take a series from one of the best teams in the AL it's a good thing. Now go for the sweep tomorrow and let's get on with getting it on...

:soxwin:

24thStFan
05-21-2013, 11:12 PM
With our starting pitching and bullpen, and if the hitting keeps improving, I might stop complaining about this team :smile:

Lip Man 1
05-21-2013, 11:15 PM
You know things are starting to go well when Keppinger hits a home run and has his batting average up to .201 and Flowers has his up to .196 :tongue:

First time since the first week of the season the Sox have won a series at home..........that's progress.

Lip

24thStFan
05-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Box score shows a nice DP started by Paulie in the 8th. That's two key late inning defensive plays by Konerko in this series.

Can anyone elaborate? I don't live in Chicago and can't see all the games.

DickAllen72
05-21-2013, 11:24 PM
You know things are starting to go well when Keppinger hits a home run and has his batting average up to .201 and Flowers has his up to .196 :tongue:
Lip
Ugh Flowers. If you had a top notch defensive catcher you could live with him hitting in the low .200s. But not only is Flowers hitting below .200, his defense has been pretty mediocre to poor.

Sox need a catcher.

vinny
05-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Box score shows a nice DP started by Paulie in the 8th. That's two key late inning defensive plays by Konerko in this series.

Can anyone elaborate? I don't live in Chicago and can't see all the games.

Yep, a 3-6-3 to end the scoring threat in the 8th.

shingo10
05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Once again Thornton cannot be trusted. He does not have the make up to pitch in tight ballgames.

I know Jones has been struggling this year but at this point he would be a better option in my opinion. Unless he is hurt because I haven't seen him in a while.

Quintana backs up last years solid outing against Boston with another. On their message board they must be going crazy about how Cy Quintana owns them...the thought makes me smile.

Hopefully Hector can keep it rolling tomorrow. If Konerko could get going offensively our team might look really good all of the sudden...

Maybe this is the year where we take off in the second half and finish the job. Here's to hoping :gulp:

Brian26
05-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Did Hawk debut a new nickname tonight? EL STALLIONE?

Hitmen77
05-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Nice recovery by Wells after slipping in the downpour to catch that fly ball in the 9th!

I noticed that too. For Rios, right?

doublem23
05-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Hate to ruin the motif, but this White Sox team is kind of fun to watch right now...

shingo10
05-22-2013, 12:19 AM

Pretty sure he did but I had no idea what the hell he was saying. He has seemed exceptionally upbeat this series and is chatting with Steve like they are best friends. Wimpy must have rejuvenated him.

BainesHOF
05-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Once again Thornton cannot be trusted. He does not have the make up to pitch in tight ballgames.

It's been going on for two seasons now yet Ventura continues to pitch him with the game on the line.

ChiSoxGal85
05-22-2013, 12:37 AM
in a game over the weekend, Hawk said something like "Rios has been such a stallion for us". I remember cuz it made me snicker. I'll bet he's decided it will be his nickname.

Zakath
05-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Nice to see our 4th and 5th starters at the beginning of the season beating one of the AL's best teams. Shame that Sale will miss a start, but with the off-day on Thursday, no reason to leave Santiago in tomorrow any longer than is necessary if he gets in trouble.

Sox have stayed within striking distance despite the myriad of injuries. After tomorrow, the schedule gives up a pretty big break over the next month, where the only team we play between now and June 28 that has a winning record at the moment is Oakland (3 vs. Miami, 2 vs. the Cubs, 2 at the Cubs, 3 at Oakland, 3 at Seattle, 4 vs. Oakland, 3 vs. Toronto, 4 at Houston, 3 at Minnesota, 3 at Kansas City, 2 vs. the Mets). If they're going to put themselves in contention, it has to come in this stretch.

slavko
05-22-2013, 12:44 AM
It's been going on for two seasons now yet Ventura continues to pitch him with the game on the line.

Where else is he going to look for a first lefty out of the 'pen? Santiago back in the 'pen when Danks returns could move Thornton back a notch. That would work for me. First it took forever to figure out that he couldn't close. Now he can't do much of anything.

Addison Reed can. He's got it all, 2013 control of that tight slider is the big change. Got the mental makeup for the job, too.

Quintana is right there with Sale and Peavy or soon will be, IMO. We got a winner there, guys.

JB98
05-22-2013, 01:08 AM

I know Jones has been struggling this year but at this point he would be a better option in my opinion. Unless he is hurt because I haven't seen him in a while.

Quintana backs up last years solid outing against Boston with another. On their message board they must be going crazy about how Cy Quintana owns them...the thought makes me smile.

Hopefully Hector can keep it rolling tomorrow. If Konerko could get going offensively our team might look really good all of the sudden...

Maybe this is the year where we take off in the second half and finish the job. Here's to hoping :gulp:

You can't be serious. Thornton doesn't have the stuff he used to have. His velocity has declined with age and his K rate has declined as well. He's been a good reliever for the Sox for years, but the end is obviously coming. It doesn't have anything to do with "make up." He has a high-mileage arm at this point, plain and simple.

Jones has been walking people whenever he gets into a high-leverage situation. Until I see more strikes, I don't want him out there in a tight game.

JB98
05-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Where else is he going to look for a first lefty out of the 'pen? Santiago back in the 'pen when Danks returns could move Thornton back a notch. That would work for me. First it took forever to figure out that he couldn't close. Now he can't do much of anything.

Addison Reed can. He's got it all, 2013 control of that tight slider is the big change. Got the mental makeup for the job, too.

Quintana is right there with Sale and Peavy or soon will be, IMO. We got a winner there, guys.

Exactly. He's all we got right now. Veal sucks. Santiago has moved into the rotation on an emergency basis.

Really, the bullpen gets pretty thin after you get past Reed and Crain, both of whom have been awesome.

The Sox need some other relief pitchers to step up their game. Lindstrom cleaned up a mess tonight. Hopefully, he gets his **** together. I really liked that signing when it was made.

Foulke You
05-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Two nicknames. Don't forget about Jesse "Stone".:D:

TaylorStSox
05-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Thornton's never had a good offspeed pitch. He used to dominate with an explosive fastball. It used to pop out of his hand in such a strange way. It's almost like watching Soriano hit. He's a small guy, but the ball just explodes off his bat. Both those guys are probably gone. That doesn't mean he's not tough. It doesn't mean he doesn't have the "make up." His arm's falling off. It's what happens to pitchers.

SCCWS
05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Thornton's never had a good offspeed pitch. He used to dominate with an explosive fastball. It used to pop out of his hand in such a strange way. It's almost like watching Soriano hit. He's a small guy, but the ball just explodes off his bat. Both those guys are probably gone. That doesn't mean he's not tough. It doesn't mean he doesn't have the "make up." His arm's falling off. It's what happens to pitchers.

Robin has the same mentality w relievers that Ozzie had--always lefties against lefties if you have one available. Crain only threw 12 pitches in the 8th and he over powered them. Why not let him come back in the 8th. It wasn't Ortiz coming up but rather their 9th and leadoff hitters. I think the more relievers you throw out there, the better chance you bring in one who doesn't have it that night. But hey, Lindstrom bailed them out.

FielderJones
05-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Robin has the same mentality w relievers that Ozzie had--always lefties against lefties if you have one available. Crain only threw 12 pitches in the 8th and he over powered them. Why not let him come back in the 8th. It wasn't Ortiz coming up but rather their 9th and leadoff hitters. I think the more relievers you throw out there, the better chance you bring in one who doesn't have it that night. But hey, Lindstrom bailed them out.

I put this on Coop. Robin still being a new manager would probably defer to Coop if he said leave Crain in for the 8th. Maybe they're trying to limit Crain's innings for the long haul.

Carolina Kenny
05-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Ugh Flowers. If you had a top notch defensive catcher you could live with him hitting in the low .200s. But not only is Flowers hitting below .200, his defense has been pretty mediocre to poor.

Sox need a catcher.

Agreed, even Ron Karkovice averaged 17 HR and .221 BA.

And Karko was vastly superior to Flowers defensively.

shingo10
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
You can't be serious. Thornton doesn't have the stuff he used to have. His velocity has declined with age and his K rate has declined as well. He's been a good reliever for the Sox for years, but the end is obviously coming. It doesn't have anything to do with "make up." He has a high-mileage arm at this point, plain and simple.

Jones has been walking people whenever he gets into a high-leverage situation. Until I see more strikes, I don't want him out there in a tight game.

He couldn't close and it wasn't because he didn't have good enough stuff...which leads me to believe that he doesn't have the make up to pitch in tight ball games.

A guy who was dominant in a setup role gets moved to closer and has struggled ever since. I don't see it as a coincidence.

MISoxfan
05-22-2013, 11:45 AM

This is exactly what I was going to say. The lack of respect Thornton gets is ridiculous. The guy has pitched with the game on the line countless times. He didn't work out as a closer, but he was among the best setup man in baseball for years. The guy has been a major piece in the Sox pen for 8 seasons. How many relievers can say that? From 2008-2010 he threw 200.1 innings with a 2.70 ERA, 1.028 WHIP, and 11 K/9. The man is 36 years old, it has nothing to do with his "make up".

MISoxfan
05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
He couldn't close and it wasn't because he didn't have good enough stuff...which leads me to believe that he doesn't have the make up to pitch in tight ball games.

A guy who was dominant in a setup role gets moved to closer and has struggled ever since. I don't see it as a coincidence.

So during all of the seasons he dominated as a setup man, he just happened to avoid all of the tight ball games?

shingo10
05-22-2013, 12:05 PM
So during all of the seasons he dominated as a setup man, he just happened to avoid all of the tight ball games?

People talk all the time about how there is a different mindset when you pitch as a closer and try to get those last 3 outs. Thornton didn't have the right mindset to succeed in that role. It apparently has carried over into anytime he pitches in a close game the last few seasons. He simply cannot be counted on. If you feel confident with him coming in a close game thats fine but I sure as hell don't. In fact I would love to see his role diminished so everyone else would stop having to come in and clean up his messes.

I think its wrong to automatically dismiss the importance of "mental makeup" in performances. Gavin Floyd had ace stuff but for whatever reason couldn't put it together. He had trouble pitching with a lead in recent years. Seemed like a mental thing to me.

MISoxfan
05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't feel confident with him coming in a close game, but only because he's 36 years old and almost entirely relies on one pitch, which is losing effectiveness.

Chez
05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Before the last two outings against Boston, Thornton had gone 11 consecutive appearances without giving up an earned run. He gave up one[!] unearned run over that stretch. I'm not quite ready to give up on him!

hawkjt
05-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Matt Thornton has lost just enough off that fastball,which has always been laser straight, to be pretty hittable at this point.

But, as indicated, he has been effective until the last couple of games,so we have to hope it is just a bit of a drought.

I have not had confidence in Matt for awhile,but Veal has seemingly lost his fine control from last year,so Sox need Matt as a lefty out of the pen.

Bottom line, good game for the Sox. Great job getting out of that jam in the 7th by Crain,who has Marco Bellinini-sized stones.

Jose once again was super solid until he had to pitch out of the stretch.
This is a recurring problem for Jose. That little hitch in his full windup is very decieving for the batter,and a great rythmn move for Jose. But once he has guys on base, he loses that hitch out of the stretch and then he struggles. I am sure Coop is trying to help him get over that hump.
Jose,Axe,and even Hector,have all been very key guys to rally back into this race....keep it goin.

Oh,and kepp finally gets that first homer as a Sox and boom...it was a huge one. Loved the two out run production again...all year it has been a bright spot.

As for ''El Stallione''...I assumed it was a nickname for Rios down in PR,but maybe just Hawk doing an Carlos Lee deal.
I actually like it,because Rios seems like a flat thoroughbred racehorse out there....tall,lean,strong,athletic,graceful....he is certainly a pretty baseball player to watch,period.

JB98
05-22-2013, 02:13 PM

So, "he doesn't have the make up to pitch in tight ball games," but he was also "dominant in a setup role."

OK.

kittle42
05-22-2013, 07:39 PM
People talk all the time about how there is a different mindset when you pitch as a closer and try to get those last 3 outs.

And those people are likely morons.

kittle42
05-22-2013, 07:42 PM
So, "he doesn't have the make up to pitch in tight ball games," but he was also "dominant in a setup role."

OK.

Whatever. It's the common **** that people spew who just believe junk that comes out of message boards and announcers' mouths.

The guy was great for years in his 8th inning role. He has sucked for as bit because he is older and his stuff is worse, not because of the fans' perceived "mental issue." Shingo, go talk to his psychologist if you think it's something else, because the late 2000s Thornton would be great to have.

Does Drew Storen have a mental issue these days because he is no longer pitching in the 9th with "high pressure?" Does it work both ways? Answer that, Shingo.