PDA

View Full Version : 2003 All-Star Game Information

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2002, 07:16 PM
Thanks to whitesox.com:

The Chicago White Sox and Major League Baseball will unveil the official logo for the 74th All-Star Game, to be played on July 15, 2003 at Comiskey Park, during a pregame on-field ceremony on Wednesday, August 7. This will be the fourth Midsummer Classic played on Chicago's south side and the first at new Comiskey Park.

The logo unveiling, which takes place before the 7:05 p.m. White Sox vs. Anaheim Angels game, begins the countdown to next year's All-Star festivities, held across Chicago from July 11-15, 2003. Next July will feature a week's worth of baseball-themed celebrations, including the John Hancock All-Star FanFest (July 11-15, McCormick Place), All-Star Sunday, featuring the Futures Game and Legends and Celebrity Softball Game (July 13), All-Star Workout Day and Home Run Derby (July 14), and the 74th All-Star Game (July 15).

guillen4life13
08-01-2002, 10:14 PM
awesomeness. i gotta somehow convince hootie to get his hands on good tix for me and scalp em 2 me.

doublem23
08-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
awesomeness. i gotta somehow convince hootie to get his hands on good tix for me and scalp em 2 me.

Save yer dough. The players will be on strike.

:reinsy
I'm makin' money and that's the way I likes it!

ISUSoxfan
08-01-2002, 11:12 PM
The All-Star game is always on a Tuesday...Does that mean fans get in for half price if they bring a Pepsi can?

Seriously, I wouldn't even pay half price to watch that silly exhibition game that the All-Star game has become. I was at the 1983 All-Star game at the original Comiskey when I was 8, and I will remember it for the rest of my life. Back then it was a serious competition between the leagues for bragging rights. The AL broke the NL's 12 year winning streak and Fred Lynn hit the first grand slam in All-Star history. Before the game, my father took me to the picknic area under the left field stands and we saw the all-time greats walk by right on the other side of the chicken wire fence, then we saw more players who are now considered all-time greats play. Bench, Yaz, Schmitd, Rose, etc. Back then, player salaries were under control, and they played in the All-Star game because they took pride in being the best and they played to win to prove they were the best of the best. Now too many players and managers treat the All-Star game like it's a Little League game. It doesn't matter who wins as long as everyone plays, then the players get a $50,000 bonus for treats. The rest of the proceeds from the All-Star game go to the players' pension fund so they can go on strike and never play again.

Those of us who went in 1983 have already experienced an All-Star game, and those who haven't yet experienced one never will. Sox fans, save your money and go to more regular season games.

OEO Magglio
08-02-2002, 01:01 AM
How do you get tickets for the homerun derby and the futures game, do you just get them at the beginning of the season when regular tickets come out?

guillen4life13
08-02-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
How do you get tickets for the homerun derby and the futures game, do you just get them at the beginning of the season when regular tickets come out?

going to the homerun derby would be fun though, you gotta admit.

hold2dibber
08-02-2002, 01:35 PM

going to the homerun derby would be fun though, you gotta admit.

The homerun derby would be kind of fun, but it will also expose yet another flaw of Comsikey - there's nothing to "aim for" in terms of homers. At old Comiskey, you had the upper deck and roof shots, but at the new Comiskey, hitting one onto the concouse simply doesn't give one the sense of awe that an upper deck or roof shot does.

MarkEdward
08-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

The homerun derby would be kind of fun, but it will also expose yet another flaw of Comsikey - there's nothing to "aim for" in terms of homers. At old Comiskey, you had the upper deck and roof shots, but at the new Comiskey, hitting one onto the concouse simply doesn't give one the sense of awe that an upper deck or roof shot does.

How about the Dan Ryan? :smile:

doublem23
08-02-2002, 04:59 PM

A concourse shot is in the range of 500 feet.

I dunno about you, but I'm damn impressed by that.

Chisox_cali
08-02-2002, 05:26 PM

Well they could aim to hit it completely out of Comiskey, that would impress the hell out of me. Even if they hit the back wall, or even some of the stuff that holds up the lights would be pretty cool.

Soxheads
08-02-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

A concourse shot is in the range of 500 feet.

I dunno about you, but I'm damn impressed by that.

How many have been hit to the concourse?

guillen4life13
08-02-2002, 05:45 PM
prolly one to five

i'm almost positive miguel tejada hit one there last year of glover. did hurt's 495 footer make it to the concourse?

Soxheads
08-02-2002, 05:46 PM
prolly one to five

i'm almost positive miguel tejada hit one there last year of glover. did hurt's 495 footer make it to the concourse?

I know Hurt's hit at least 2 out there.

Foulke You
08-02-2002, 05:54 PM
prolly one to five

Actually, I believe Eric Chavez was the A's player that jacked it off of Glover up on the concourse. A-Rod also hit one up on the LF concourse in 2000.

Dan Pasqua held the record for longest homer at New Comiskey with his bomb onto the right field concourse in 1992 until Chavez broke it in 2001 and now Big Hurt in 2002.

Foulke You
08-02-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Well they could aim to hit it completely out of Comiskey, that would impress the hell out of me. Even if they hit the back wall, or even some of the stuff that holds up the lights would be pretty cool.

I think HR derby at Comiskey will be great. The fact that nobody has EVER hit one out of the park will be alluring enough to me to see if it can be done. Maybe Paulie can bounce one off the Waterhouse sign in LF? I for one, will want to get LF seats in Sec 157 for the event.

nut_stock
08-02-2002, 11:50 PM
Any idea as to how much tickets will cost?

VeeckAsInWreck
08-04-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

How many have been hit to the concourse?

Mark McGwire hit one on the concourse off of James Baldwin in 1996, however, I saw Canseco hit about five in batting practice in 1994.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-04-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Any idea as to how much tickets will cost?

Well, if they are priced the same as this year's, you're looking to spend about $175 per ticket. Start selling blood now!