PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/20 Starting Well at Home Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Your success begins in your park.

doublem23
05-20-2013, 10:06 PM
How about that play by Paul to get Out #27? Looked like a young buck diving around out there. :cool:

Railsplitter
05-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Paulie has alway been good with the leather
:bandance:

vinny
05-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Nice outing by Axelrod. Thornton's K rate has dropped off a cliff, if he doesn't strike people out he becomes a bit of a liability out of the pen.

Not sure if Dunn makes that play in the 9th. But he's doubled his RBI total in the past week!

Third place, here we come!

24thStFan
05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
I like Axelrod. He's a grinder.

Brian26
05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
How about that play by Paul to get Out #27? Looked like a young buck diving around out there. :cool:

That's a ball that shoots right past Dunn. I don't understand the misconception I have seen here that Dunn has better range than PK. Watch the games.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Konerko is a much better 1st baseman. Nice win.

Lip

Brian26
05-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Konerko is a much better 1st baseman. Nice win.

Lip

First team to hang an L on Lester (with Axelrod on the mound no less). That's something to build on.

doublem23
05-20-2013, 10:30 PM
That's a ball that shoots right past Dunn. I don't understand the misconception I have seen here that Dunn has better range than PK. Watch the games.

I get why Dunn is having to supplant Paul at 1B more than we're used to nowadays, but people don't actually think it's because the Sox are getting better D from Adam, is it?

Golden Sox
05-20-2013, 11:16 PM
I never noticed it until today that the White Sox don't have one weekend series at home against Boston, New York AND Detroit this year. You would think the schedule makers would give the White Sox at least one weekend series against one of these teams. I would like to think the White Sox would draw more people on a weekend against Boston, New York and Detroit than what they would during the week. I'm sure the White Sox management would rather be playing the Red Sox, Yankees and Tigers this weekend at home instead of the Miami Marlins.

doublem23
05-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I never noticed it until today that the White Sox don't have one weekend series at home against Boston, New York AND Detroit this year. You would think the schedule makers would give the White Sox at least one weekend series against one of these teams.

why

shingo10
05-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Thornton cannot be trusted.

That being said, great win right? Beat Lester, have some really good AB's going to the opposite field, and a great play by Paulie to end it.

I wish Cleveland would lose sometime but I'm sure there slump is coming.

In the meantime this next stretch of 15 out of 23 at home is huge. Gotta make up some ground.

Foulke You
05-21-2013, 12:15 AM
I have to eat crow about Axelrod. I thought the Sox made a mistake when they chose him over Santiago out of Spring Training but all Ax does is give you a chance to win almost every start. I thought his lack of big league stuff would get the best of him but he seems to be the perfect #5 so far. He changes speeds, location, and eye level constantly and keeps hitters guessing. It will be interesting to see how our "crafty right hander" does the second time through the league after teams have seen him before. So far, so good. I don't think he needs to worry about losing his spot when Danks comes back.

Nice to see some offense too even though we missed on some chances to drive a stake in the Carmines. What a difference in the lineup to have Dunn doing what he is paid to do. Also, Tank has really seemed to have turned a corner on his approach at the plate. He is taking his walks, working counts deep, and is not swinging for the Dan Ryan on every pitch. It is a small sample size since his return but the sky is the limit on Tank if he maintains this approach all year. This might be the most "hitter-ish" he has looked.

ChiSoxGal85
05-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Only got to see the 8th and 9th innings last night. Kind of a nail-biter! Great play by Paulie to end the game - no way Dunn makes that play, especially if he has any lingering issues from the back spasms over the weekend.

Speaking of Paulie: still waiting for the bat to break out. Anytime, Captain...

kittle42
05-21-2013, 09:03 AM
I like Axelrod. He's a grinder.

Is he Chicago Tough?

SCCWS
05-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Solid performance last night against a team that was coming in hot and add one of their aces going. Opposite field hitting was a thing of beauty. Kippinger and Greene had a few good at bats and Viciedo had a very good night at the plate. Great double play turn by Alexei on the future Cub, Ellsbury. Axelrod was solid but the Sox almost gave it away on the Middlebrooks shot in the ninth. Get another one tonight, boys.

hawkjt
05-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Tank is like a changed hitter after returning from the DL....that 9 pitch at bat where he ended up going up the middle to drive in the huge 6th run was a classic.
Then he takes another walk later. Tank is turning the corner,and could be a huge factor in a Sox resurgence.

Dunn...all good, that was a huge rally in the 1st,with two out.
The sound of that homer,the crack of the bat, was distinctive...love that sound when it comes from a Sox hitter.

Axe is a tough cookie. Not bad for a 5th/6th starter. He makes the decision easy, Hector to the pen when Danks returns.

Thornton is done, I think. He has been for a season or two...just hanging on now.

doublem23
05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Tank is like a changed hitter after returning from the DL....that 9 pitch at bat where he ended up going up the middle to drive in the huge 6th run was a classic.
Then he takes another walk later. Tank is turning the corner,and could be a huge factor in a Sox resurgence.

Since returning from the DL, he's hit .400/.500/.600. Fueled mostly by a .400 BAbip, which is insustainably high, but the big numbers: 8 walks & 5 strikeouts in 46 PA over 11 gamess. Incredible.

TomBradley72
05-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Since returning from the DL, he's hit .400/.500/.600. Fueled mostly by a .400 BAbip, which is insustainably high, but the big numbers: 8 walks & 5 strikeouts in 46 PA over 11 gamess. Incredible.

The turnaround for him and for Dunn is truly amazing- if PK gets back on track- that's a nice middle of the order- TCM-Rios-Dunn-PK-Dayan

kufram
05-21-2013, 01:14 PM
There is no guarantee that Viciedo can keep his recent hitting surge going but there are some very good signs. This is why you shouldn't write off a young player with hints of real talent just because he hasn't figured it out in his second year in the majors.

I wonder what happened while he was injured? Maybe he's not swinging so hard? That doesn't explain how Tank learned how to take a pitch, though.

PalehosePlanet
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM

He was also 7-14 his last 3+ games before going on the DL. And, yeah, I agree the walks are the key stat.

WhiffleBall
05-21-2013, 02:18 PM
why

Much better ticket sales. Weekend games sell better than weekday games but weekend games against so called premium teams and division rivals sell better than most other games especially during warmer months/when school is out.

My guess is they adjusted the schedule for the Sox to play the Marlins on a weekend when Ozzie and MB were still on that team.

doublem23
05-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Much better ticket sales. Weekend games sell better than weekday games but weekend games against so called premium teams and division rivals sell better than most other games especially during warmer months/when school is out.

My guess is they adjusted the schedule for the Sox to play the Marlins on a weekend when Ozzie and MB were still on that team.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Tigers sell pretty well regardless of what night they fall on, I don't think it helps the Sox attendance-wise at all to have more popular opponents coincide with already popular days for games.

salty99
05-21-2013, 03:11 PM
The Yankees, Red Sox, and Tigers sell pretty well regardless of what night they fall on, I don't think it helps the Sox attendance-wise at all to have more popular opponents coincide with already popular days for games.

I think those days are over. 21,800 against the Red Sox is pretty poor. I guess we'll wait and see what happens tonight.

cards press box
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
It is always nice when your fifth starter can beat their ace.

:winner

Winningugly23
05-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Is it just me or does this message board swing from game to game..One min everyone thinks we are the worst team ever next maybe we are not so bad. Lol gotta love it GO Sox

XplodingScorbord
05-21-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm considering suing WSI for the whiplash I have endured this year. :lol: