PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Konerko/Crain/Santiago 3-team trade?

vinny
05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
This popped up on Chicago White Sox Memes on facebook this morning:

According to our inside sources, the White Sox are currently in trade talks for a three team deal with the Angels and Diamondbacks that would send Paul Konerko to Arizona and Jessie Crain/Hector Santiago to LA. In return the Sox would get Paul Goldschmidt and Alberto Callaspio.

Nothing on the source other than "someone with ties to Yahoo sports", so take it with a grain of salt.

DSpivack
05-20-2013, 11:35 AM
That's a pretty dumb rumor, as Goldschmidt is looking like the best 1B in the NL this year (so far).

vinny
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
That's a pretty dumb rumor, as Goldschmidt is looking like the best 1B in the NL this year (so far).

Agreed, I don't see "Crain Wreck" having much trade value anyway.

JB98
05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Who dreams this crap up? Why would the Diamondbacks trade a productive, 25-year-old first baseman with a team-friendly contract for a half-season of Paul Konerko?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Who dreams this crap up? Why would the Diamondbacks trade a productive, 25-year-old first baseman with a team-friendly contract for a half-season of Paul Konerko?

True, unless they are getting a good haul from LAA.

blandman
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
True, unless they are getting a good haul from LAA.

Unless they are getting Mike Trout, that makes no sense (the Angels are bereft of high end minor league talent). And if it were Trout, the Angels haul is then lacking.

Chalk this one up to a complete moron.

doublem23
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM

This is the same Diamondbacks team who last year shipped out one of the game's best young arms for a relatively light haul so who knows what AZ is up to?

That said, I doubt we're that lucky.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Well Crain is having a tremendous season so far.

Lip

aryzner
05-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Forget the NL, you could make a strong argument for best 1B in all of baseball so far this season.

vinny
05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Well Crain is having a tremendous season so far.

Lip

He's doing great as long as he comes into a game with the bases empty. But 5 of 9 of his inherited runners have scored this season. Small sample, yes (5 games with inherited runners) but he only let 5 inherited runners score all of last year.

Just don't bring him in with ducks on the pond.

Noneck
05-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Crain is FA after this year, Pauls worth is next to nothing, so the only chip is Santiago. Goldschmidt (who is knocking the cover off the ball) is locked up at reasonable numbers. Trades like this only happened in my days of trading baseball cards

JB98
05-20-2013, 01:41 PM
He's doing great as long as he comes into a game with the bases empty. But 5 of 9 of his inherited runners have scored this season. Small sample, yes (5 games with inherited runners) but he only let 5 inherited runners score all of last year.

Just don't bring him in with ducks on the pond.

Ehh ... three of those five inherited runners scored as the result of one bad pitch to Josh Willingham on April 21. That skews that statistic pretty severely.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Forwarded this along and asked some folks if they had heard anything or what they thought. Here are some responses for what that may be worth to you:

"The Konerko-Goldschmidt talks popped up two years ago, and the D-Backs said no. Why would they do this now? "

"I'm not 100 percent sure on this, but I think the Diamondbacks got rid of Callaspo about five years ago after he roughed up his wife."

Lip

vinny
05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
LOL:

http://www.fantasysp.com/trade/mlb/349180/santiago-konerko-crain-callaspo-goldschmidt

Foulke You
05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
This post is proof that bullpen setup man is the most under appreciated job in baseball. Nobody notices when you do your job but they remember those one or two times you didn't get the job done. Crain has been very solid this year and has been an excellent bridge to get to Reed. There are plenty of contending clubs that would love to have a guy like him in their bullpen. However, I don't see the D backs giving up Goldschmidt for him along with an aging Paulie.

vinny
05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
This post is proof that bullpen setup man is the most under appreciated job in baseball. Nobody notices when you do your job but they remember those one or two times you didn't get the job done. Crain has been very solid this year and has been an excellent bridge to get to Reed. There are plenty of contending clubs that would love to have a guy like him in their bullpen. However, I don't see the D backs giving up Goldschmidt for him along with an aging Paulie.

If you're referring to the nickname, he had it for several years with the Twins before coming to the South Side. Is it fair to apply to him during his time here? Probably not. Mea culpa.

If you're referring to the setup man role, maybe sabermetrics don't appreciate it either, since his WAR, WPA, and BABIP were better in 2012 than this year (BABIP especially, .229 vs. .313 this season). Is he horrible? No. Is he a lights-out pitcher? No. Just an average middle reliever, and not especially young. We'll see if his ERA reverts to the mean this year.

Mr. Jinx
05-20-2013, 05:30 PM
This popped up on Chicago White Sox Memes on facebook this morning:

Nothing on the source other than "someone with ties to Yahoo sports", so take it with a grain of salt.

What the hell is a "Chicago White Sox Memes" and why would it be any more or less useful than overhearing Kenny on his phone in the airport?

kittle42
05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
What the hell is a "Chicago White Sox Memes" and why would it be any more or less useful than overhearing Kenny on his phone in the airport?

/thread

DonnieDarko
05-20-2013, 07:59 PM
From a post from the "White Sox Meme" group on Facebook. Take this with a gigantic grain of salt. Still thought that WSI would like to know it, however.

"According to our inside sources, the White Sox are currently in trade talks for a three team deal with the Angels and Diamondbacks that would send Paul Konerko to Arizona and Jessie Crain/Hector Santiago to LA. In return the Sox would get Paul Goldschmidt and Alberto Callaspio."

Thoughts?

EMachine10
05-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Probably should be written in pink. I would be more worried about losing Santiago at this point. If you can essentially swing Konerko for Goldschmidt, though, you win GM of the Year.

Huisj
05-20-2013, 08:02 PM
My first thought is why the heck would Arizona trade Goldschmidt for Konerko? He's 25, his OPS is currently 1.049 (leads the NL), and they just locked him up through 2018 with an option for '19. This is sillyness.

DSpivack
05-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Some facebook page no one ever heard of before today. There's another thread on it.

voodoochile
05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
My thought is that since this is nothing but a rumor it should be posted in the rumor section. So I moved it there...

RKMeibalane
05-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Rumor: Buster Posey Wants to Play for White Sox; Reinsdorf Unwilling to Take On Contract; City of Chicago Riots

KRS1
05-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Goldy is a ginormous fan favorite down here, and as has been said, is signed to a great deal. He gets the biggest cheers at Chase every time I go (five times this season) and absolutely rakes NL West pitching. I believe this rumor about as far as I can throw a Jeep.

CoopaLoop
05-21-2013, 01:07 AM
The funniest part of this bogus rumors is all the idiots on facebook saying trade Paulie for Goldschmidt? WHY? NO WAY.

SephClone89
05-21-2013, 07:39 AM
The funniest part of this bogus rumors is all the idiots on facebook saying trade Paulie for Goldschmidt? WHY? NO WAY.

I think people on sports Facebook pages rival people in YouTube comments in terms of sheer stupidity.

chisoxjtrain
05-21-2013, 10:36 PM
The Facebook group is now saying they were hacked.

TheVulture
05-21-2013, 11:48 PM
The Facebook group is now saying they were hacked.

:rolling:

http://www.troll.me/images/rm-community/someone-hacked-my-world-of-warcraft-account.jpg

JB98
05-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Ehh ... three of those five inherited runners scored as the result of one bad pitch to Josh Willingham on April 21. That skews that statistic pretty severely.

I just realized, Crain allowed those other two inherited runners to score when Rios dropped a routine fly to right against Tampa Bay on April 28.

So, that statistic about Crain allowing inherited runners to score is really, really misleading.

Essentially, he's made one bad pitch all season in those situations. He was awesome with the bases loaded last night.

vinny
05-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I just realized, Crain allowed those other two inherited runners to score when Rios dropped a routine fly to right against Tampa Bay on April 28.

So, that statistic about Crain allowing inherited runners to score is really, really misleading.

Essentially, he's made one bad pitch all season in those situations. He was awesome with the bases loaded last night.

I remember now, I was at that game. Fair enough. He was the man last night for sure. :cool:

white sox bill
05-24-2013, 07:27 AM
I wish Hahn would keep his cell convo's private at O'Hare

ChiSoxGal85
05-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Crain has been terrific this year. Right now, he and Reed are the only two relievers that don't make me worry when they come in a game.