PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/17 "Saleing" Along; Sox-3 Angels-0

Lip Man 1
05-18-2013, 12:10 AM
16 2/3 consecutive shutout innings for the kid.

He's special.

Oh, 12 strikeouts tonight for good measure.

Lip

Shoeless_Jeff
05-18-2013, 12:14 AM
A combined 16 and 2/3 innings pitched, zero runs, four hits, 3 walks and 19 strikeouts in two starts against the same team in the same week...

I'll take it.

Dan H
05-18-2013, 12:18 AM
I can't remember seeing a White Sox pitcher be this dominating. The team has had some good pitchers but not like this guy.

Even more amazing is that Adam Dunn is starting to look like a major league hitter.

slavko
05-18-2013, 12:18 AM
I can't recall a harder hit ball than that Dunn HR. Got out in a blink. He looks like a different player. Unfire Jeff Manto!

tstrike2000
05-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Sale's a machine.

LoveYourSuit
05-18-2013, 12:32 AM
I can't remember seeing a White Sox pitcher be this dominating. The team has had some good pitchers but not like this guy.

Even more amazing is that Adam Dunn is starting to look like a major league hitter.

A guy in the elite category like this, only BlackJack comes close. But BlackJack was not this filthy and over-powering.

I keep telling folks, not many teams can throw up there what we can with one and two in Sale and Peavy. That's Johnson/Schilling type of dominance you can throw in a playoff series.

If the offense could only give these guys enough of a push to get into postseason. Just be average, nothing else.

Falstaff
05-18-2013, 12:34 AM
A combined 16 and 2/3 innings pitched, zero runs, four hits, 3 walks and 19 strikeouts in two starts against the same team in the same week...

I'll take it.
Yes! I am thinking that all that harping last winter to develop offspeed junk a la forkball/sloshball/knucklecurve much have sunk in as he is much more effective now.

TomBradley72
05-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Adam Dunn is dominant right now- can't believe I'm typing that- but he is.

BleacherBandit
05-18-2013, 02:46 AM
Adam Dunn is dominant right now- can't believe I'm typing that- but he is.

I can't believe it, either. That "new swing" must be the trick. Let's hope it's not temporary, either.

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2013, 05:03 AM
A tip of the hat to these guys, this stretch of 15 of 18 on the road and so far
8-5 on those road games. Don't stop now boys.

ChiSoxGal85
05-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Another gem by Sale. He has been amazing. The team gave him a little more run support this time too. Sox are becoming fun to watch...DSNB!

Konerko hit the ball pretty hard, but not much to show for it. I hope it's a sign that he's on the cusp of breaking out.

Bucky F. Dent
05-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Chris Sale is the man! Let's keep this kid healthy!

Railsplitter
05-18-2013, 07:52 AM
If it weren't for the Astros, the angels would be dead last in the West with thier winning percentage.
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Noneck
05-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Its nice to have a winning streak going. After what Ive seen over the past 2 years its way too early to get excited over dunn. Hamilton looks really bad and Pujols looks very ordinary. Its very lucky to catch the angels when the Sox did.

SephClone89
05-18-2013, 08:04 AM
First true dominant ace we've had since I started watching the Sox in '98/99.

Neyer tweeted that he had a flashback to Black Jack. ("mirror image, of course")

October26
05-18-2013, 08:20 AM
I've been away from WSI since early April due to complex/extended illness in my family. So glad to be back.

I haven't watched many Sox games (since Opening Day) but have followed the scores/game summary via my MLB app. I'v been disappointed to read about the Sox playing bad defense and having almost zero offense. Hopefully, things are turning around for our Sox.

I have been able to watch the last couple of games thanks to my DVR. What else can you say about Chris Sale besides he is awesome! And Adam Dunn is hitting again? Yay! Keep on winning, White Sox!

Mizzourah
05-18-2013, 08:26 AM

Neyer tweeted that he had a flashback to Black Jack. ("mirror image, of course")

As of right now the team has the best pitching staff in the AL and the worst hitting and defense.

Zakath
05-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Its nice to have a winning streak going. After what Ive seen over the past 2 years its way too early to get excited over dunn. Hamilton looks really bad and Pujols looks very ordinary. Its very lucky to catch the angels when the Sox did.

The Angels are really suffering on the mound, unlike the Sox. They're not hitting either as well as that team should be able to (.253 right now), but their team ERA is pushing 5 and they're getting outscored by over a run a game (-45 run differential over 42 games).

Their schedule lightens up a little after us, as they see the Mariners, the Royals, and then have 4 with the Dodgers (same arrangement the Sox have with the minor leaguers) before they get the Astros and Cubs. But, unlike us, they're in a division where a team is running away with it a bit (Texas is 12 over .500 and doing most of their damage on the road), so they could find themselves running out of time to catch up if they get too far in the hole (they're already 12 out).

Chez
05-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Hard to believe that about one year ago KW wanted to move Sale back to the bullpen!

As for "dominant aces," Contreras and Loaiza were awfully good over a similar stretch of time.

Happy for Adam Dunn.

hawkjt
05-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Sale is on fire!
Dunn is on fire!
Alex is on fire!

That gets you wins!

Rios looks so relaxed on the field, and his natural talent continues to shine. He is a joy to watch right now. One of the best all around players in the AL.

Dunn? Go figure...don't think,just keep this going,Adam!

Sale...omg.

If the Sox offense keeps warming as June approaches, they can be in the hunt by June 1, when they traditionally take off.
With the cheap tickets...they could be getting hot at the perfect time for Sox families with kids getting out of school...home cooking!

SephClone89
05-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Hard to believe that about one year ago KW wanted to move Sale back to the bullpen!

As for "dominant aces," Contreras and Loaiza were awfully good over a similar stretch of time.

Happy for Adam Dunn.

True, but both of those (Loaiza in particular) seemed like catching lightning in a bottle. Sale is 24 years old!

TheOldRoman
05-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Kenny didn't "want" to move Sale back to the bullpen. They were concerned about Sale's soreness between starts and thought it might be best to give him more time in the bullpen to get innings under his belt while his arm built up a little more. They were concerned about injury, and they would have only put him in the bullpen temporarily.

As for the team, winning baseball is fun. Dunn is hitting. Rios is still a rock. Tank has been hitting AND walking since he got back. Hopefully we can go on a nice little ride here.

DumpJerry
05-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Teams who are facing Sale are probably investing in extra Sport Psychologists to help their players deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

SCCWS
05-18-2013, 10:51 AM
When a team needs to rebuild, 2 important components are a Number 1 starter and a closer. Both were present last night. Many teams go years without a Number 1 starter and the White Sox even won a World Series with a solid rotation but not a dominating Number 1. This kid may already be able to challenge the Verlanders of the world in big games as we go forward. Many teams also struggle to find a solid closer. Reed has been very good for 2 years now and is a top closer right now on a team that has been playing below .500. The Angels got to see both of them last night.
Next we have to find that all-league hitter type.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2013, 11:36 AM

Dan:

Between 1990 and 1994 McDowell won the most games in the A.L. and if memory serves was second overall in baseball (behind Maddux??). He was pretty dominating. Had that split finger that fell off the table the last few feet before the hitter. Was a tough, hard nosed guy to boot which helped him in difficult situations.

Sale could become a left handed version of Black Jack.

Lip

CoopaLoop
05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
When a team needs to rebuild, 2 important components are a Number 1 starter and a closer. Both were present last night. Many teams go years without a Number 1 starter and the White Sox even won a World Series with a solid rotation but not a dominating Number 1. This kid may already be able to challenge the Verlanders of the world in big games as we go forward. Many teams also struggle to find a solid closer. Reed has been very good for 2 years now and is a top closer right now on a team that has been playing below .500. The Angels got to see both of them last night.
Next we have to find that all-league hitter type.

Disagree completely with that.

As for Sale, I am glad it appears we have all moved on from wondering if he is going to stay healthy and just enjoying one of the best left handers in the game of baseball.

TaylorStSox
05-18-2013, 01:25 PM
The Count is criminally underrated by Sox fans.

TheVulture
05-18-2013, 02:15 PM
16 2/3 consecutive shutout innings for the kid.

He's special.

Oh, 12 strikeouts tonight for good measure.

Lip
Actually, that's 23 straight shutout innings. His start May 6 he gave up one run, which came in the first inning, over 7 1/3.

Nelfox02
05-18-2013, 02:25 PM
most fun I had watching a sox game in a long time, well played game.....so timely hitting, mostly good at bats even when making outs, and Sale is a joy to watch when he is on

keep it rolling---.500 is well in sight

DonnieDarko
05-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Teams who are facing Sale are probably investing in extra Sport Psychologists to help their players deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

C'mon. That isn't funny.