PDA

View Full Version : Paciorek in the booth in Anaheim

vinny
05-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Per Hawk on today's broadcast. Thursday, Friday, Sunday (Sat is on Fox)

edit: That's Wimpy and Hawk. Stone will be off.

Tragg
05-15-2013, 04:32 PM
I know yall like him, but to me he's Hawk's cheerleader and makes the broadcasts Hawk squared. Well, they probably aren't on WGN so no matter to me.

ChiSoxGirl
05-15-2013, 09:54 PM
You all remember what happened last time Tom Paciorek was with Hawk in the booth, don't you?

:hawk
"He threw him outta the game??? What are you doing, Wegner?!"

Things could get interesting this weekend....

SephClone89
05-16-2013, 07:29 AM
You all remember what happened last time Tom Paciorek was with Hawk in the booth, don't you?

:hawk
"He threw him outta the game??? What are you doing, Wegner?!"

Things could get interesting this weekend....

Wasn't the Wimpy-giggle on the Dunn homer in Toronto ("that was a Herman Munster shot!") more recent than that?

Foulke You
05-16-2013, 12:46 PM
I love me some Hawk and Wimpy. It's comfort food for this Sox fan. :cool:

BringBackBlkJack
05-16-2013, 01:01 PM
YES!! I'll take all of the 90's nostalgia I can get!

doublem23
05-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Wasn't the Wimpy-giggle on the Dunn homer in Toronto ("that was a Herman Munster shot!") more recent than that?

Yes

Wegner game was May 30. Wimpy's Krusty the Clown laugh was August 13. Both last season.

Irishsox1
05-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Wimpy and Hawk remind me of the magical/unexpected 1990 season. 94 wins and no playoff appearance.

Bobby Thigpen
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Wimpy and Hawk remind me of the magical/unexpected 1990 season. 94 wins and no playoff appearance.
Agreed. That was the season I officially came over to the dark side.

They work well together and are FAR more entertaining than anything the Sox have put together since Wimpy left.

Wimperoo has slipped considerably since the old days, but they're still a better team than any of the other incarnations since.

hawkjt
05-16-2013, 04:14 PM
I like Wimpy,but in small doses....I'll settle for one or two series a year.

Bottom line...if the Sox win, I am a happy camper,no matter who describes the action.

Mr. Jinx
05-16-2013, 04:21 PM
I like Wimpy,but in small doses....I'll settle for one or two series a year.

My thoughts exactly. Great a few times a year for nostalgia sake, but that's about all I need.

Steelrod
05-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Thats how I feel about Hawk!

Wedema
05-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Yes

Wegner game was May 30. Wimpy's Krusty the Clown laugh was August 13. Both last season.

It didn't take long for Wimpy to mention the Wegner game at the start of the bottom of the first inning. Hawk said to not go there.

ChiSoxGirl
05-16-2013, 09:55 PM
I love me some Hawk and Wimpy. It's comfort food for this Sox fan. :cool:

This is a great way to describe Hawk & Wimpy!

YES!! I'll take all of the 90's nostalgia I can get!

Absolutely! We haven't had a whole lot to enjoy in this young season thus far, so it's nice to at least have a great broadcast team reunion to entertain us this weekend.

ChiSoxGal85
05-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Hawk and Wimpy are kinda giggly today! :D: Of course, this game is still young.

TomBradley72
05-17-2013, 07:23 AM
I'd take Wimpy back full time in a heartbeat- games are alot more fun to listen to then he's in the booth-

mrwag
05-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Hawk always seems to have a little extra "zest" when Wimpy is in the booth.

Bobby Thigpen
05-17-2013, 10:53 PM
I'd take Wimpy back full time in a heartbeat- games are alot more fun to listen to then he's in the booth-

Agree 100%. Like or dislike them, this is what White Sox baseball should sound like for me.

doublem23
05-17-2013, 11:14 PM

He really does, but I'll also add the footnote that the Sox are actually playing well, at least, less bad than their opposition at the moment.

Golden Sox
05-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Time doesn't wait for anyone. Everybody gets old. The only person who never gets old is my wife, The Goddess. Other than her, we all age. I've always liked Hawk as an announcer for the White Sox. I have even met him a few times and he really seems like a nice guy. I can't help but notice that he is starting to slip as an announcer. Last night he talked about Albert Belle and his first year with the White Sox. Hawk said Belle got off to a slow start his first year with the White Sox and had one of the greatest 2nd halfs in White Sox history. Hawk was wrong, that was Belles 2nd year with the White Sox. Belle didn't do well his first year and a half with the White Sox. He had a great 2nd half of his second and ironically last year with the White Sox. I hope if he is starting to lose it,he doesn't hang around too long like Harry Caray did. I thought it was awful when Caray kept calling Andre Dawson, Andre Rogers.

October26
05-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Love hearing Hawk and Wimpy together again!

Chez
05-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Wimpy is a nice change of pace from Stone. He's great in small doses and, as others have posted, seems to energize Hawk. It's like runnng into an old friend whom you haven't seen for a while. But Stone is a far superior analyst. Say what you will about Stone's delivery and attitude, but not many analysts are more prepared than or deliver the same depth of insight as Stone.

But it is fun to hear Hawk and Wimpy back together!

hawkjt
05-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Wimpy is a nice change of pace from Stone. He's great in small doses and, as others have posted, seems to energize Hawk. It's like runnng into an old friend whom you haven't seen for a while. But Stone is a far superior analyst. Say what you will about Stone's delivery and attitude, but not many analysts are more prepared than or deliver the same depth of insight as Stone.

It is like a boys weekend in nostalgiaville for these two. With Stoney in the booth he acts as a bit of governor on the full-bore old timey stories from Hawk. With Wimpy...it is simply full-bore.

Now, I will say it was fun. I know Hawk has probably told the ''riding the mule in Yankee stadium'' story dozens of times, but for some reason,it struck me as new last nite,and was truly funny hearing about how Roger Maris threw a fungo at the mules arse,causing him to almost buck Hawk off and resulting in Hawk ending up under the belly,nose to mouth with the mule....now thats entertainment!

Bobby Thigpen
05-18-2013, 09:42 AM

Stone knows his stuff, but he's about as fun to listen to as watching paint dry is to watch. Give me Hawk and Wimpy any day. Stone is good, just not someone I want to listen to over 162 games.

TomBradley72
05-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Stone knows his stuff, but he's about as fun to listen to as watching paint dry is to watch. Give me Hawk and Wimpy any day. Stone is good, just not someone I want to listen to over 162 games.

+1

Stone is the better true analyst- but Paciorekl and his self effacing sense fo humor and the chemistry with Hawk- making Hawk better- it my strong preference.

Their schtick about Wimpy being cheap has been going on for decades- still cracks me up. When Hawk & Wimpy are paired up- I like having the game on in the background just listening to the two of the them regardless of the score- when it's Hawk/Stone- I'm recording and fast forwarding through chunks of the game-

Hawk & Wimpy make ths Sox more fun and more likeable- and more like a family.

Hawk & Stone- not so much.

Bobby Thigpen
05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
+1

Stone is the better true analyst- but Paciorekl and his self effacing sense fo humor and the chemistry with Hawk- making Hawk better- it my strong preference.

Their schtick about Wimpy being cheap has been going on for decades- still cracks me up. When Hawk & Wimpy are paired up- I like having the game on in the background just listening to the two of the them regardless of the score- when it's Hawk/Stone- I'm recording and fast forwarding through chunks of the game-

I have watched more of the Sox games the past two nights than I have any games over the past two years. Maybe that makes me a bad fan, but Hawk and Stone have been miserable TV to watch. Having Wimpy back in the booth makes me think it's not Hawk who is totally to blame.

I'm in full on "Bring back Wimpy!!" mode now.:cool:

SephClone89
05-18-2013, 10:29 AM
+1

Hawk makes the same joke about Stone.

I get nostalgic about Hawk/Wimpy too, and it's nice to hear for a series or two, but if I had to hear them commentate every game...I'd probably go insane

Brian26
05-18-2013, 10:36 AM
It is like a boys weekend in nostalgiaville for these two. With Stoney in the booth he acts as a bit of governor on the full-bore old timey stories from Hawk. With Wimpy...it is simply full-bore.

Now, I will say it was fun. I know Hawk has probably told the ''riding the mule in Yankee stadium'' story dozens of times, but for some reason,it struck me as new last nite,and was truly funny hearing about how Roger Maris threw a fungo at the mules arse,causing him to almost buck Hawk off and resulting in Hawk ending up under the belly,nose to mouth with the mule....now thats entertainment!

And he still got his $25, dadgumit.... Even though he swallowed his chaw! :tongue:

cards press box
05-18-2013, 04:29 PM
+1

Wouldn't the Sox TV and radio lineups improve if these changes were made:

(1) Hawk and Wimpy on TV; and

(2) Stone to the radio booth to pair with DJ with Farmer going back to scouting.

DJ does play-by-play very well. A DJ-Stone combination on radio would work well.

RKMeibalane
05-18-2013, 05:30 PM

(2) Stone to the radio booth to pair with DJ with Farmer going back to scouting.

DJ does play-by-play very well. A DJ-Stone combination on radio would work well.

I'd prefer DJ leave the booth, as well. He has improved a lot since he started, but he's still brutal to listen to. Between his singing and his awful home run calls ("Ohhh my!"), it's a wonder anyone can stand to listen to radio broadcasts. He may be better paired with someone besides Ed Farmer, but I doubt it.

Steelrod
05-19-2013, 06:34 AM
As far as I'm concerned, feel free to replace the entire tv and radio staff. I am tired of hearing about how good Cubs players are, Catfish and Yaz, Notre Dame, transplants. Not to mention 5 cliches a minute.

TomBradley72
05-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Agree- I'd go with Stone/Farmer- even though I'm not much of a Farmer fan.

Sign Hawk and Wimpy to a 2 year deal- let them close out their careers together- then bring in a new team.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
As long as JR owns the franchise, Hawk will remain in the TV booth.

Lip

Brian26
05-19-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure Stone would go back to radio. I have enjoyed Hawk and Wimpy though.

Winningugly23
05-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Hawk and wimpy are the best brings back good memories when I was a kid..good times