PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-13 Minneapolis Massacre; MIN 10 SOX 3 Pants-Pissing Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2013, 10:10 PM
The solid pitching had to end sometime.

GlassSox
05-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Another error, only 3 runs, and not so good pitching. I enjoyed watching Dunn yesterday but not at all today. Duente Heath should never pitch for us again.

Tragg
05-13-2013, 10:24 PM
This team....Mercy!

insp
05-13-2013, 10:26 PM
The solid pitching had to end sometime.

There were only 3 runs charged to Santiago, so you can't blame him. Omogrosso looked good in his inning.

The real problem was Gillaspie swinging like an idiot obsessed with getting his ugly mug on ESPN on the first pitch right after Dunn walked on four straight pitches.

Noneck
05-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Whenever to put in Heath or Omogrosso you cant expect much. The pitching wasnt that bad. Twinks threw a stiff at the Sox and of course they couldnt do anything with him.

Marqhead
05-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Could have been a very different game if Ramirez doesn't miss that ball early on.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Gonna be a long, long season.

1-11 RISP tonight.

Don't know what more you can say this is a bad, bad team and it will be interesting to see what Hahn can do at the trade deadline or in the off season. Agreed Heath is ****ing awful... as bad as Septimo.

The good news? hey they only made one error!!! WOO HOO!!

Lip

Soxman219
05-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Hawk is going to have an angry rant real soon. You can tell on the broadcast.

amsteel
05-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Keep on rollin' downhill.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Sox have now scored three runs or less in 19 of their 36 games...53%

Lip

slavko
05-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Could have been a very different game if Ramirez doesn't miss that ball early on.

That was the ball game.

JB98
05-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Gonna be a long, long season.

1-11 RISP tonight.

Don't know what more you can say this is a bad, bad team and it will be interesting to see what Hahn can do at the trade deadline or in the off season. Agreed Heath is ****ing awful... as bad as Septimo.

The good news? hey they only made one error!!! WOO HOO!!

Lip

In my book, they made three. Flowers should have been charged with an error when he dropped that popup over by the dugout, and that misplay in shallow CF in the bottom of the eighth was disgraceful. Seven gift runs. Each of the last three Sox losses was gift-wrapped for the opposition.

I don't know what you do when Ramirez and De Aza are butchering routine defensive plays. You can't bench them because they are two of the only guys hitting at respectable levels.

It's clear Ventura's lecture on Saturday had no effect on these players.

Golden Sox
05-13-2013, 11:16 PM
1) Does anybody know why Konerko was not in the lineup tonight?
2) If the White Sox offered Done, Greene, Keppinger and Wells in a trade, does anybody think they could get one decent player in return for these guys? When you have these 4 guys in our everyday lineup, does anybody really think this team can contend this year? Even if John Danks and Beckham come back and produce for this team, the team is still missing a few things.

DirtySox
05-13-2013, 11:24 PM
The overdue rebuild is inevitable.

Noneck
05-13-2013, 11:28 PM
2) If the White Sox offered Done, Greene, Keppinger and Wells in a trade, does anybody think they could get one decent player in return for these guys?

No chance, that group has negative worth.

shingo10
05-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Hawk is going to have an angry rant real soon. You can tell on the broadcast.

He finally snapped in 2007 when the Sox got embarrassed at home in a double header against the Twins. I think the first game was like 18-14 or something and then they got beat 12-0 the second game. I clearly remember him saying that it was the worst performance he's ever seen in any league from minor league all the way up.

Back to this year....its all been said I think. Horrendous offense, defense, and everything except starting pitching and Reed.

Its sad that on May 13th I don't get upset when they lose because it doesn't seem to matter. Really depressing.

Tragg
05-13-2013, 11:57 PM
The real problem was Gillaspie swinging like an idiot obsessed with getting his ugly mug on ESPN on the first pitch right after Dunn walked on four straight pitches.

Isn't there a sense in the dugout in such situations to make the guy throw strikes and be patient?
Or is that just neither an organizational or dugout consideration? We're so bad in that regard I really wonder if they talk about it at all.

BainesHOF
05-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Ventura has done a lot for the organization so he doesn't deserve to be fired, but the manager of this team deserves to be fired.

shingo10
05-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Robin kind of implied a change could be coming in his postgame remarks.

We shall see.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Its sad that on May 13th I don't get upset when they lose because it doesn't seem to matter. Really depressing.

Shingo:

Agreed...you wait all winter for the games to start and what they mean to you (memories of teams / games past, summer days and nights etc...) and then this happens.

Just makes the summer seem, not worthless but far less that it could be or should be.

----------------

JB: De Aza also decided to make a throw to 3rd base for some bizarre reason which allowed Morneau to move into second base where he scored easily on a hit. That's not a physical error but a really, really stupid mental one...something the Sox have been guilty of for a long, long time. Just baseball dumb players the past few years. And naturally nothing is done about it...guys aren't waived, guys aren't benched, guys aren't fined...nothing is done.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2013, 05:19 AM
1) Does anybody know why Konerko was not in the lineup tonight?
2) If the White Sox offered Done, Greene, Keppinger and Wells in a trade, does anybody think they could get one decent player in return for these guys? When you have these 4 guys in our everyday lineup, does anybody really think this team can contend this year? Even if John Danks and Beckham come back and produce for this team, the team is still missing a few things.

Tribune said it was a scheduled day off.

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2013, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=Golden Sox;3051320]1) Does anybody know why Konerko was not in the lineup tonight?

Tribune said it was a scheduled day off.

asindc
05-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Well, the night was a double dip of ineptitude for me, with the 2013 Sox being the 2013 Sox and the Caps being the Game 7 Caps. At least we are not Maple Leafs fans this morning.

SCCWS
05-14-2013, 07:59 AM
They are now worse than the Cubs in winning %. We are still better than Toronto though.

blandman
05-14-2013, 08:34 AM
The overdue rebuild is inevitable.

Cue the "we can't do a full rebuild" crew.

Tragg
05-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Ventura has done a lot for the organization so he doesn't deserve to be fired, but the manager of this team deserves to be fired.
Isn't that kind of the problem, though? Robin's done so much, Harold's done so much and on and on.
Reward them in ways other than the field jobs.
Indeed, when the team plays poorly and without focus, the coach is usually held responsible.

Foulke You
05-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Shingo:

Agreed...you wait all winter for the games to start and what they mean to you (memories of teams / games past, summer days and nights etc...) and then this happens.

Just makes the summer seem, not worthless but far less that it could be or should be.

----------------

JB: De Aza also decided to make a throw to 3rd base for some bizarre reason which allowed Morneau to move into second base where he scored easily on a hit. That's not a physical error but a really, really stupid mental one...something the Sox have been guilty of for a long, long time. Just baseball dumb players the past few years. And naturally nothing is done about it...guys aren't waived, guys aren't benched, guys aren't fined...nothing is done.

Lip
De Aza has been on of the more maddening Sox players this year. He has picked it up offensively lately but his outfield play both in LF and CF have been terrible. Missing cutoff men, misplaying the angles on balls off the wall, etc. Some of his ABs this year have been downright atrocious almost as if he is mailing it in by lunging at a pitch above his head or in the dirt. Alejandro has 45Ks already this year (he had 109 all of last season) and because of the high K rate, his OBP has dropped over 60 points. This is not acceptable for a leadoff man. Like many of the Sox slumps, it is hard to put a finger on what has changed. Is there a book on De Aza now from an advanced scouting standpoint and he hasn't adjusted? Has he lost his edge a bit because he finally got his arbitration raise? Maybe we just got a career year out of him last year and this is who he really is. I hope that is not the case because CF and leadoff man is a tough spot to fill but you simply cannot have your leadoff man strikeout at an Adam Dunn clip while having an OBP under .300.

blandman
05-14-2013, 10:13 AM
The truly unfair thing is guys like De Aza, who never belonged in a major league lineup to begin with, get called out for not producing or making errors.

He is who he is. His swing is long because he doesn't have the tools necessary to hit another way. He's adequate defensively, but a better corner option. Yeah, he produced for a stretch despite it. But the league caught up. It's not his fault expectations are unreasonable in regards to him. Blame the general manager for not noticing and addressing it. The guy is a fourth outfielder, always has been.

Jurr
05-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Cue the "we can't do a full rebuild" crew.

Exactly. It is a sad state of affairs when die hard White Sox fans are having problems being able to sit through games, even decent performances.

This is a team without heart and sadly without much talent.
It is loaded with aging vets that have financial security and contracts so big that they MUST be played, regardless of results.

Usually, it is the WORST teams that combine crappy young players with veterans past their primes, playing out the string.

In this case, those terrible vets were added to actually ANCHOR the roster, and at a high price tag. At this point, they should just purge the roster to ANY bidder, take what they can get, and hope they figure out how to draft talent.

I see a LONG rebuild ahead.

Jurr
05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
That said, THANK GOD they caught lightning in a bottle one season and have a championship banner hanging.

It makes what's coming a little more bearable.

The Sox are the family that draws out of its IRA to buy nice automobiles.
At some point, the well runs dry and nothing remains but a couple of fully depreciated assets.

It's time to eat ramen noodles, Sox fans.

blandman
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I see a LONG rebuild ahead.

Sadly, this is a result of the system purge keeping us slightly afloat for many years (the we can't rebuild mentality). Eventually, you have to. You can say "we can't" until you're blue in the face, but it's a reality for teams not the Yankees. The bubble bursts eventually, it's more about the position you put yourself in when it happens that determines how long it takes. And we've put ourselves in the WORST possible situation going in (expensive, non-tradeable roster and no minor league system).

This team isn't winning in the next five years. No one should be untradeable. Not even Sale. There's no guarantee he'll be here when we're ready to compete again.

blandman
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
That said, THANK GOD they caught lightning in a bottle one season and have a championship banner hanging.

At some point, the well runs dry and nothing remains but a couple of fully depreciated assets.

Haha...nice way of putting it

Foulke You
05-14-2013, 10:26 AM
The truly unfair thing is guys like De Aza, who never belonged in a major league lineup to begin with, get called out for not producing or making errors.

He is who he is. His swing is long because he doesn't have the tools necessary to hit another way. He's adequate defensively, but a better corner option. Yeah, he produced for a stretch despite it. But the league caught up. It's not his fault expectations are unreasonable in regards to him. Blame the general manager for not noticing and addressing it. The guy is a fourth outfielder, always has been.
Maybe the league has figured him out or maybe not. The approach he has at the plate this year seems different than last year. He has been way more aggressive (even for him) and the swing he had last year wasn't always this long. The defense wasn't gold glove but he was very solid out there. He also got on base at a decent clip. For part of 2011 and all of 2012, he was a capable leadoff man. Fourth outfielders don't usually hit .280+ after 800 ABs as a starter. I'm not comfortable saying "he just isn't that good" yet.

blandman
05-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Maybe the league has figured him out or maybe not. The approach he has at the plate this year seems different than last year. He has been way more aggressive (even for him) and the swing he had last year wasn't always this long. The defense wasn't gold glove but he was very solid out there. He also got on base at a decent clip. For part of 2011 and all of 2012, he was a capable leadoff man. Fourth outfielders don't usually hit .280+ after 800 ABs as a starter. I'm not comfortable saying "he just isn't that good" yet.

I'm having a hard time finding footage of his swing last year where it wasn't long.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but my impression last year was that his swing was always too long to be successful and clips of his hitting from last year aren't really dissuading my thoughts on the subject...

slavko
05-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Cute. I've been posting for years that it's an unsustainable business model. The part of an organization that decides on the business model is the Board of Directors. The head of the Board of Directors is called the Chairman. You do the math.

The reason why this is so becomes a matter of WSI agendas.

blandman
05-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Cute. I've been posting for years that it's an unsustainable business model. The part of an organization that decides on the business model is the Board of Directors. The head of the Board of Directors is called the Chairman. You do the math.

The reason why this is so becomes a matter of WSI agendas.

It's time for Jerry to sell.

*cue the "cell" no sell jokes*

Foulke You
05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm having a hard time finding footage of his swing last year where it wasn't long.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but my impression last year was that his swing was always too long to be successful and clips of his hitting from last year aren't really dissuading my thoughts on the subject...
Well, he has 45Ks already this year (only 109Ks in 2012) and 7HRs (only 8HRs all of last year) and it is only May 14th. These stats would seem to indicate a longer swing and different approach in 2013. Longer swings will often inflate both the K and HR categories. Even if the swing is not the difference, his overall approach in 2013 has become insanely over aggressive for a leadoff man and not indicative of what he showed in 2012 in my opinion.

blandman
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Well, he has 45Ks already this year (only 109Ks in 2012) and 7HRs (only 8HRs all of last year) and it is only May 14th. These stats would seem to indicate a longer swing and different approach in 2013. Longer swings will often inflate both the K and HR categories. Even if the swing is not the difference, his overall approach in 2013 has become insanely over aggressive for a leadoff man and not indicative of what he showed in 2012 in my opinion.

His approach doesn't look different, at least not to my eyes.

I think the league is just pitching him how they should now. This isn't something new to this year. After De Aza went on the D.L. late last year, he came back and was horrible. The assumption was that he was just not ready to come back, but in reality pitcher's approaches to pitching him changed. He had the same approach.

Noneck
05-14-2013, 11:29 AM
It's time for Jerry to sell.

*cue the "cell" no sell jokes*

Why would anyone sell when they have always been in it for the money and money keeps rolling in?

blandman
05-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Why would anyone sell when they have always been in it for the money and money keeps rolling in?

The party's over. We aren't going to be "in it" for several years.

Noneck
05-14-2013, 11:35 AM
The party's over. We aren't going to be "in it" for several years.

Im sure they knew this and I bet the money will keep coming in. If they wanted to sell they would have sold high, a blind man could have seen what was coming.

blandman
05-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Im sure they knew this and I bet the money will keep coming in. If they wanted to sell they would have sold high, a blind man could have seen what was coming.

My point is they can't operate with the model anymore. The team is going to win 70 games a year for a long time. They aren't going to make money anymore.

Noneck
05-14-2013, 01:10 PM
My point is they can't operate with the model anymore. The team is going to win 70 games a year for a long time. They aren't going to make money anymore.

They knew it was coming and Im sure they have planned for it.

blandman
05-14-2013, 01:23 PM
They knew it was coming and Im sure they have planned for it.

A $100 million untradeable payroll, one of the worst rosters in baseball, and one of the worst farm systems in baseball all point to that being incredibly unlikely.

That's planning for the future like binge drinking is planning for a test.

Brewski
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
A $100 million untradeable payroll, one of the worst rosters in baseball, and one of the worst farm systems in baseball all point to that being incredibly unlikely.

If I was looking for someone to run my business and I saw that on a resume, I would likely conclude that the individual didn't know how to run a business.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2013, 02:26 PM
If I was looking for someone to run my business and I saw that on a resume, I would likely conclude that the individual didn't know how to run a business.

Except that JR is one of the sharpest, shrewdist business people around. The guy is a self made multimillionair.

There are ways to make money even if you aren't drawing three million fans or winning 95 games a season. I think the Sox have been doing it for years and agree with Noneck. I don't think JR and the board will like drawing say 1.8 million fans and winning 70 games, but they'll find a way to either break even or make some profit regardless.

The Sox won't be having this 118 million dollar payroll forever. I'd guess it will be down to about 98 by August 1st.

Lip

Brewski
05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Except that JR is one of the sharpest, shrewdist business people around. The guy is a self made multimillionair.

There are ways to make money even if you aren't drawing three million fans or winning 95 games a season. I think the Sox have been doing it for years and agree with Noneck. I don't think JR and the board will like drawing say 1.8 million fans and winning 70 games, but they'll find a way to either break even or make some profit regardless.

The Sox won't be having this 118 million dollar payroll forever. I'd guess it will be down to about 98 by August 1st.

Lip

Lip, you're unusually optimistic today. The weather must be great where you are. Your last point's an excellent one. But it'll be the wrong $20M that goes. I just don't think Reinsy is any good at baseball. Balcor Corp. where he made his fortune wasn't in the baseball business.

Noneck
05-14-2013, 02:59 PM

That 100M will be less than that after the trade deadline. Next year the only untradeables making money will be Dunn and Danks. Next years salaries could be around 70M, maybe lower. Every team in baseball makes money if they draw or not and I dont think any team has as sweet of a lease deal as the Sox do. What we all saw coming, they did also.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Lip, you're unusually optimistic today. The weather must be great where you are. Your last point's an excellent one. But it'll be the wrong $20M that goes. I just don't think Reinsy is any good at baseball. Balcor Corp. where he made his fortune wasn't in the baseball business.

It was 90 yesterday and is about 75 today. :D:

Lip

KingXerxes
05-14-2013, 04:19 PM
In the past, I worked directly for two members of the board who are contemporaries of Reinsdorf (they thrived in commercial real estate syndication as well).

These guys are great at structuring deals, and they are great at raising money - but they are not necessarly so good at managing the empires they create. Loyal to a fault in many cases.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Another issue to consider about the franchise is this, if they are bad, really bad over the next few seasons that is going to impact TV negotiations when the Comcast deal expires in 2016.

They'll probably take a big hit on what they could be getting from whomever revenue-wise if they were actually good.

It all factors in doesn't it?

Lip

Noneck
05-14-2013, 05:29 PM
The TV deal is what baffles me. They see what teams are getting for tv contracts and have done nothing to increase its value. They have to have something up their sleeve, right?

joegraz
05-14-2013, 06:04 PM
The TV deal is what baffles me. They see what teams are getting for tv contracts and have done nothing to increase its value. They have to have something up their sleeve, right?

Hmmm....like a move? To another city who rolls out an unbelievably sweet deal, new stadium, no lease payments, restaurant, etc, etc??? Where the Sox can finally be the Number One Team in town? Where the fans will flock to see them just because they're happy to have a team???

Nah. Jerry would never do that. Would he?

DSpivack
05-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Hmmm....like a move? To another city who rolls out an unbelievably sweet deal, new stadium, no lease payments, restaurant, etc, etc??? Where the Sox can finally be the Number One Team in town? Where the fans will flock to see them just because they're happy to have a team???

The market isn't the same now as it was in the mid-80s. I don't know that there is any leverage to move anywhere else, unless it's the Chicago suburbs.

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2013, 06:33 PM
The market isn't the same now as it was in the mid-80s. I don't know that there is any leverage to move anywhere else, unless it's the Chicago suburbs.

I'll give you one that might be ripe for a MLB franchise, San Antonio Texas, it's one of the fastest growing places in the USA. It's now number 7 in city population and number 24 in metro area population. Some MLB is going to wind up there.
I did my USAF basic training there in 1965, we drove through there a few years ago and I couldn't believe it was the same city.

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2013, 06:42 PM

That thought has crossed my mind more than once the last couple of years.
Say JR and company want to sell, who in Chicago would buy them?
2nd team in the city with a park that a lot of people won't go to for various reasons, another city might make a pitch.

WhiteSox5187
05-14-2013, 07:51 PM
That thought has crossed my mind more than once the last couple of years.
Say JR and company want to sell, who in Chicago would buy them?
2nd team in the city with a park that a lot of people won't go to for various reasons, another city might make a pitch.

Maybe no one in Chicago would want to buy them, but somebody would. As someone pointed out anymore, there aren't as many untested viable baseball markets around anymore. I think that the idea of buying a baseball team in the third largest market in the US has to be appealing to someone. This team CAN make money, JR has made a lot of money with this team and knows the ins and outs of how to make money in baseball. If the team is struggling to draw and winning only seventy wins, you can bet that JR will find a way to make money somehow (though it might be by slashing payroll so he can get assistance).

For all the knocks on JR he is the one White Sox owner who has been able to consistently make money with this team and that is because he treats this as a business, which it is. It would be nice if a guy like Mark Cuban, a guy who wants to win AND make money buy the White Sox.

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Maybe no one in Chicago would want to buy them, but somebody would. As someone pointed out anymore, there aren't as many untested viable baseball markets around anymore. I think that the idea of buying a baseball team in the third largest market in the US has to be appealing to someone. This team CAN make money, JR has made a lot of money with this team and knows the ins and outs of how to make money in baseball. If the team is struggling to draw and winning only seventy wins, you can bet that JR will find a way to make money somehow (though it might be by slashing payroll so he can get assistance).

For all the knocks on JR he is the one White Sox owner who has been able to consistently make money with this team and that is because he treats this as a business, which it is. It would be nice if a guy like Mark Cuban, a guy who wants to win AND make money buy the White Sox.

Read my post about San Antonio.

Noneck
05-14-2013, 08:03 PM
I dont know about moving. I cant see them getting a sweeter lease than they have now.

DSpivack
05-14-2013, 11:48 PM

All this somewhat assumes that the Sox aren't making money as it is right now.

While fans are upset that the performance of the team on the field has been lacking in recent years, the performance on the books may very well be perfectly fine (and I think the Forbes guesstimates show that).

I'll give you one that might be ripe for a MLB franchise, San Antonio Texas, it's one of the fastest growing places in the USA. It's now number 7 in city population and number 24 in metro area population. Some MLB is going to wind up there.
I did my USAF basic training there in 1965, we drove through there a few years ago and I couldn't believe it was the same city.

Big revenue these days lies in TV money and cable contracts. That's a pretty small TV market.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Spivack:

Correct...San Antonio isn't getting anything.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-15-2013, 06:22 AM
All this somewhat assumes that the Sox aren't making money as it is right now.

While fans are upset that the performance of the team on the field has been lacking in recent years, the performance on the books may very well be perfectly fine (and I think the Forbes guesstimates show that).

Big revenue these days lies in TV money and cable contracts. That's a pretty small TV market.

But not forever, it's growing.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Nell:

Well I'd assume Portland, Salt Lake City, Charlotte...they are all growing to... but back to the point about San Antonio, they could have a market size worthy of a MLB team in 15 years or so, which means Sox fans have nothing to worry about in the immediate future regarding the possibility of the "San Antonio Sox." By the time the area could get a MLB team I won't be around to see it anyway.

Lip