PDA

View Full Version : Cubs + Sox?

Randar68
08-01-2002, 12:41 PM
Was joking around with a Cub fan friend of mine yesterday. We started bitching about Steinbrenner.

Funny thing came up. Add the Sox and Cubs together, and the payroll (even at the start of this season) would not have been equal to the Yankme's current, $130+ million dollars.

Can you put together a team of Sox and Cubs players to get to the World Series?

using Pre-season rosters

C - Alomar
1B - Konerko
2B - Durham
SS - Gonzalez
3B - Mueller
RF - Maggs
CF - Lofton
LF - CLee, Alou, Patterson???
DH - Sosa (or do you play him in RF with Maggs in LF)

Rotation:
Buehrle
Lieber
Wood
Ritchie
Clement

Bullpen:
Foulke
Glover
Alfonseca
Osuna
Marte
Wunsch
Howry

This is just spur of the moment, and remembering how we thought things would be during the preseason.

I would take the Cubs starters, but the Sox bullpen is far superior(as sad as that is). Also, there is the dillema at SS and 3B. Where would you put Jose. Would you pick him over either Mueller or Gonzalez?

I still don't think this combined team could beat NY in the WS or ALDS.

Paulwny
08-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I still don't think this combined team could beat NY in the WS or ALDS.

As far as position players, with the exception of rf, lf, and dh, the yankmees have the better players.

Randar68
08-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

As far as position players, with the exception of rf, lf, and dh, the yankmees have the better players.

and a better rotation and bullpen.

Paulwny
08-01-2002, 12:55 PM

and a better rotation and bullpen.

at the start of the season yes, now all the aches,pains of the vet starters--- toss up. Of course the big ace in the hole, a healthy Rivera.

Randar68
08-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

at the start of the season yes, now all the aches,pains of the vet starters--- toss up. Of course the big ace in the hole, a healthy Rivera.

As bad as Weaver's been, he won't struggle like that for long. In addition, IMO, even Ted Lilly would have been one of the top 5 starters int he Cubs+Sox rotation. Sheeeesh.

Paulwny
08-01-2002, 01:05 PM

As bad as Weaver's been, he won't struggle like that for long. In addition, IMO, even Ted Lilly would have been one of the top 5 starters int he Cubs+Sox rotation. Sheeeesh.

I'm hoping Weaver gets NYitis, as did Neagle and K. Rogers. It'll be his 1st year in pressure situations.
Yea, agree about Lilly, it's really sad.