PDA

View Full Version : Cubs, Rizzo 7 years and 41 Million

Marqhead
05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9268539/chicago-cubs-lock-anthony-rizzo-7-year-41-million-deal

DSpivack
05-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Another good deal locking up young talent. Free agency isn't what it used to be.

CoopaLoop
05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
To put this deal in perspective, Edwin Jackson signed a 4 year 52 million dollar deal.

Great contract for the Cubs for the next 9 years.

Noneck
05-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Good deal for both. Upcoming good FAs are going to be quite a bit older. Tampa locking up Longoria must has got the rest of the teams to think.

Golden Sox
05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Lots of things happen in the world everyday. Shootings, crime, world and local problems. Stuff most people are interested in. Stuff that is front page news. But todays front page of the Sun Times has the signing of Rizzo all over the front page of the paper.The signing of Rizzo takes up 90% of the FRONT PAGE of the paper. I would like to think its a big story for some Cubs fans but as a whole I would hardly make this front page news. When the White Sox signed Chris Sale to a long term contract recently, the Sun Times put the story in the sports pages where it belonged. One of the reasons why Eddie Einhorn wanted to move the White Sox to Florida years ago was because of the media bias in Chicago with the Cubs. He didn't think the White Sox could ever get a fair shake in this city with the media. The Sun Times has a feature everyday called "This Date In Baseball". They should rename it "This Date In Cubs Baseball History". Of the 8 things mentioned today on page 56, half of the dates are Cubs History. I hope I never live to see the day when the Cubs actually win a World Championship or a Pennant. The Media in this city would go absolutely crazy and would bury the White Sox completely.

vinny
05-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Lots of things happen in the world everyday. Shootings, crime, world and local problems. Stuff most people are interested in. Stuff that is front page news. But todays front page of the Sun Times has the signing of Rizzo all over the front page of the paper.The signing of Rizzo takes up 90% of the FRONT PAGE of the paper. I would like to think its a big story for some Cubs fans but as a whole I would hardly make this front page news. When the White Sox signed Chris Sale to a long term contract recently, the Sun Times put the story in the sports pages where it belonged. One of the reasons why Eddie Einhorn wanted to move the White Sox to Florida years ago was because of the media bias in Chicago with the Cubs. He didn't think the White Sox could ever get a fair shake in this city with the media. The Sun Times has a feature everyday called "This Date In Baseball". They should rename it "This Date In Cubs Baseball History". Of the 8 things mentioned today on page 56, half of the dates are Cubs History. I hope I never live to see the day when the Cubs actually win a World Championship or a Pennant. The Media in this city would go absolutely crazy and would bury the White Sox completely.

LOL, Buster Olney even shared this "breaking news" on air from the Sox dugout during last night's game. :rolleyes:

The glorification of the Cubs goes beyond Chicago media.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Golden:

As you know back in the 50's and through the mid 60's the Sox got the lions share of local media coverage in this town.

Why?

Well a big part of it was because they were actually winning.

Just something to think about.

That and the fact that they actually fought for their own part of the city landscape.

Lip

Foulke You
05-13-2013, 12:20 PM
When I picked up my paper this morning, I rolled my eyes at the Rizzo contract being on the front page of the entire paper as well. It is really not front page news and an argument can be made that it isn't even front page of the sports section news considering the Bulls play the Heat tonight and the Red Wings are now the official Blackhawks opponent in Round 2. Rizzo signing an extension really is not even close to being as big as those two stories.

Noneck
05-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Lip is dead on here. The Sox know what goes on and do nothing to try to change it. They are what they are and must be very happy or they would try to change it.

asindc
05-13-2013, 01:52 PM
LOL, Buster Olney even shared this "breaking news" on air from the Sox dugout during last night's game. :rolleyes:

The glorification of the Cubs goes beyond Chicago media.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the news came out yesterday. If there is anything the Cubs' front office is good at, it is promoting its team. I also think the ESPN folks understand the rivalry enough to instigate it further for dramatic effect.

As always, winning would cure all.

Golden Sox
05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Lip Man 1: It's true that the White Sox have not been winning but neither are the Cubs. The Cubs are in last place and STILL the Sun Times gives front page coverage about signing a player. They didn't put Chris Sale on the front page when the White Sox signed him to a long term contract.

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Nice contract for a guy whose manager threatened to send back to the Minors a couple of weeks ago.

DSpivack
05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Nice contract for a guy whose manager threatened to send back to the Minors a couple of weeks ago.

And who has been hitting the ball very well since.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Lip Man 1: It's true that the White Sox have not been winning but neither are the Cubs. The Cubs are in last place and STILL the Sun Times gives front page coverage about signing a player. They didn't put Chris Sale on the front page when the White Sox signed him to a long term contract.

Golden:

It's due to everything that occured (or didn't occur) in the 25 years leading up to it that enables the Cubs to not win and still get more than their fair share of coverage....and some of that fault lies with the Sox themselves.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Lip is dead on here. The Sox know what goes on and do nothing to try to change it. They are what they are and must be very happy or they would try to change it.

Noneck:

It's a lot different isn't it from back in the day when Veeck owned the club for a second time and if he didn't like the coverage (or lack of coverage) with the club, he'd call up the sports editors and complain about it.

Lip

PaleHoser
05-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Sale is a mere All-Star. Rizzo is the Messiah, hence the need for front page coverage.

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2013, 06:10 PM
And who has been hitting the ball very well since.

I very seldom watch them but I had them on a couple of weeks ago and he hit one of the longest homers I've ever seen at Wrigley, it landed in the first row of the upper section that's below the scoreboard, a little left of right center.

DSpivack
05-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I very seldom watch them but I had them on a couple of weeks ago and he hit one of the longest homers I've ever seen at Wrigley, it landed in the first row of the upper section that's below the scoreboard, a little left of right center.

I have two fantasy teams. On one Rizzo is my 1B and I have Paulie in the other. Rizzo is now hitting .280/.352/.538 with 9 HRs and 28 RsBI. When he was scuffling a bit at the start he was still knocking out HRs, but now he's collecting other hits, as well.

While Cashner has looked good so far this season, I still don't understand that trade for San Diego. I suppose they had to choose between Rizzo and Alonso if they were both just 1B, but they appear to have made the wrong choice there (and Rizzo's minor-league numbers were slightly better, anyway).

Noneck
05-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Noneck:

It's a lot different isn't it from back in the day when Veeck owned the club for a second time and if he didn't like the coverage (or lack of coverage) with the club, he'd call up the sports editors and complain about it.

Lip

Lip,

Yes he did and he cared when he knew the Sox were getting the short end of the stick. But he was also running the team on a shoe string ,not raking in the dough hand over fist. This group doesnt want to upset the apple cart, on a very good thing they have going.

SI1020
05-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Golden:

As you know back in the 50's and through the mid 60's the Sox got the lions share of local media coverage in this town.

Why?

Well a big part of it was because they were actually winning.

Just something to think about.

That and the fact that they actually fought for their own part of the city landscape.

Lip They also had some powerful friends in the local sports media. John Carmichael comes to mind. As does Bill Gleason. Edgar Munzel and Jerome Holtzman took turns covering the Sox and Cubs for the Sun Times, trading places at the All Star break IIRC. They were both very positive towards the Sox. Definitely a different era and hard for many younger Sox fans to understand I suspect. By 'younger" I suppose I mean under 55 LOL. It all started to change drastically when the Cubs had their mini resurgence under Leo Durocher. The defunct tabloid Chicago Today had a sportswriter, Rick Talley, who was especially pro Cub and openly hostile to the White Sox. For decades the Sox have been the red haired step child of the Chicago sports scene.

Noneck
05-13-2013, 10:53 PM
They also had some powerful friends in the local sports media. John Carmichael comes to mind. As does Bill Gleason. Edgar Munzel and Jerome Holtzman took turns covering the Sox and Cubs for the Sun Times, trading places at the All Star break IIRC. They were both very positive towards the Sox. Definitely a different era and hard for many younger Sox fans to understand I suspect. By 'younger" I suppose I mean under 55 LOL. It all started to change drastically when the Cubs had their mini resurgence under Leo Durocher. The defunct tabloid Chicago Today had a sportswriter, Rick Talley, who was especially pro Cub and openly hostile to the White Sox. For decades the Sox have been the red haired step child of the Chicago sports scene.

The Daily News also had John Justin Smith who was a big fan of the Sox. I didnt remember Talley being so pro cubs considering he hosted the Dick Allen show. I also remember Talley covering for Allen during his no shows to the show.

DirtySox
05-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Looks like a great deal. Rizzo is a real fun player to watch. Good for them.

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2013, 06:14 AM
They also had some powerful friends in the local sports media. John Carmichael comes to mind. As does Bill Gleason. Edgar Munzel and Jerome Holtzman took turns covering the Sox and Cubs for the Sun Times, trading places at the All Star break IIRC. They were both very positive towards the Sox. Definitely a different era and hard for many younger Sox fans to understand I suspect. By 'younger" I suppose I mean under 55 LOL. It all started to change drastically when the Cubs had their mini resurgence under Leo Durocher. The defunct tabloid Chicago Today had a sportswriter, Rick Talley, who was especially pro Cub and openly hostile to the White Sox. For decades the Sox have been the red haired step child of the Chicago sports scene.

Amen on Rick Talley, he was a jerk and probably on the Cubs payroll.

Red Barchetta
05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Golden:

It's due to everything that occured (or didn't occur) in the 25 years leading up to it that enables the Cubs to not win and still get more than their fair share of coverage....and some of that fault lies with the Sox themselves.

Lip

Yep, and it all started with the current ownership thinking they could market the White Sox as "Chicago's American League team". Remember that marketing move?! :o:

The SOX revenue model is built around drawing around 2M fans and anything above that is great. For example, look how much parking has increased over the past 20 years at Comiskey II.

I don't think JR ever intended for the SOX to be the number one team in Chicago. IMO, Chicago became a Cubs town the moment the SOX went to Sportsvision and the Cubs became the anchor of the WGN superstation, broadcasting day baseball to the nation and widening their fanbase. Wrigley morphed from an old ballpark with no lights to the shrine of all thinks old-school baseball "nestled" into a uber-trendy Chicago neighborhood. The rest is history.

The SOX will never re-claim Chicago or even come close to being considered an equal to the Cubs in both the local and national media under the current ownership's management plan. A downtown loop, Detroit-like, ballpark would be a big step forward, but the marketing team would need to be gutted with a new focus on re-branding the team.

white sox bill
05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Looks like a great deal. Rizzo is a real fun player to watch. Good for them.

Yes this says what I mean to say. He seems like he's gonna be a good one. I really don't particularly care for the cubs and all the fawning but this is a cubs moment. Its like on youtube, whenever I see an old song from way back, all the haters of today's music come on and do their hating on rap, hip hop and whatever and of course pedestalize their music. Live and let live...