PDA

View Full Version : Astros DFA Humber

StillMissOzzie
05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Saw it on the crawl during ESPN's telecast of tonight's Sox game. It said he was 0-8 with an ERA of 9.59. Granted, Humber was pitching for arguably the worst team in baseball this year, so I can't speak to that W-L record, but that lofty ERA means he was not getting anybody out.

If Humber can't stick with the worst team in MLB, is he done, one year removed from a perfect game?

SMO
:o:

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Coop'll fix him?

:)

Lip Man 1
05-12-2013, 11:13 PM
In the long article S.I. had on him this off season a big point that was brought out was how difficult it was for him mentally pitching in the big leagues...every pitch had to be perfect, he had to get every hitter out, he had to win every game or his mind started to put undue pressure on him.

He was never able to overcome the mental side of the game and ultimately it probably ended his career.

He probably is the perfect example for the old saying, "million dollar arm...ten cent head."

Lip

doublem23
05-13-2013, 09:20 AM
He probably is the perfect example for the old saying, "million dollar arm...ten cent head."

Lip

You're still talking about a guy who pitched over 350 innings in his professional career, there's probably thousands of guys with just as electric stuff as Humber who never made it above AA.

asindc
05-13-2013, 09:45 AM
You're still talking about a guy who pitched over 350 innings in his professional career, there's probably thousands of guys with just as electric stuff as Humber who never made it above AA.,

True, but it really doesn't make sense that a pitcher with Humber's physical talents can't be more successful in the majors. Just as Hershieser last night talked about C.J. Wilson getting into his own head too much, that might also apply to Humber.

Red Barchetta
05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
In the long article S.I. had on him this off season a big point that was brought out was how difficult it was for him mentally pitching in the big leagues...every pitch had to be perfect, he had to get every hitter out, he had to win every game or his mind started to put undue pressure on him.

He was never able to overcome the mental side of the game and ultimately it probably ended his career.

Lip

So I guess his perfect game only added to his relentless pursuit of perfection. I can't imagine his W/L record and ERA has been too good since that pefecto in Seattle. It obviously hurt him more than it helped him in the long run.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Red:

Humber admitted in the article that yes it did put pressure on him, he felt that he had to try to "live up" to what he did.

Remember this guy was if I remember correctly, the #5 pick in the draft the year he came out, I guess if you base his career on his draft position he's been a big disappointment.

Lip

Taliesinrk
05-13-2013, 12:34 PM
I feel you guys writing his eulogy is just slightly premature. I guarantee another team takes a flyer on him and he'll be pitching at worst in AAA (or AA, I guess) soon. With his potential, he's guaranteed to have at least a few more years in the minors with teams giving his a shot to regain form/potential. I could even see some other struggling teams put him in the bullpen right now in a long relief type role.

russ99
05-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Humber has been beyond awful this year for the Astros, surprised it took them so long to cut him.

Yes, they're the worst team in the AL, but their offense has done fairly well, it's the starting pitching especially that's not done well for them.

Can't say that he didn't get every chance.

doublem23
05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
I feel you guys writing his eulogy is just slightly premature. I guarantee another team takes a flyer on him and he'll be pitching at worst in AAA (or AA, I guess) soon. With his potential, he's guaranteed to have at least a few more years in the minors with teams giving his a shot to regain form/potential. I could even see some other struggling teams put him in the bullpen right now in a long relief type role.

The guy's 30 years old and his career ERA is well over 5. Not sure how much more "potential" there is in that arm.

FielderJones
05-13-2013, 02:13 PM
The guy's 30 years old and his career ERA is well over 5. Not sure how much more "potential" there is in that arm.

Like Charlie Robertson, he's a mediocre Texas-born pitcher who caught lightning in a bottle one day. That's it.

Foulke You
05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Like Charlie Robertson, he's a mediocre Texas-born pitcher who caught lightning in a bottle one day. That's it.
Even if he never pitches another day in the big leagues, he will always have a spot in White Sox and MLB history for that perfect game. It remains a hell of an accomplishment.

amsteel
05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Well, this proves it: the 2012 Mariners were that bad.

white sox bill
05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
In music they are called one hit wonders, so would Phillip be a no hit wonder? Perfect wonder?

Anyone remember Len Barker w/ Cleveland back in the 70's? IIRC he had a no no but that was the climax of a rather mediocre career

vinny
05-14-2013, 12:43 PM
In music they are called one hit wonders, so would Phillip be a no hit wonder? Perfect wonder?

Anyone remember Len Barker w/ Cleveland back in the 70's? IIRC he had a no no but that was the climax of a rather mediocre career

LOL, he was already dipping toward mediocrity when he threw his perfecto in 1981, before the strike. The Braves picked him up in 1983, but he spend a lot of time on the DL in 1984 and 1985.

Dallas Braden might be an apt comparison, but he was plagued by injuries after his perfecto. But Braden threw several complete games in his short career.

Foulke You
05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Well, this proves it: the 2012 Mariners were that bad.
A lot of people forget that Humber actually put together a respectable 2011 season with the Sox. He was 9W-9L, 3.75 E.R.A. and he had that curve ball working for most of the year. If the 2011 club had any offense, he could have won 14 or 15 games that year. He was also off to a respectable April in 2012 until the perfect game. An argument could definitely be made that it really messed with his head.

ChiSoxGal85
05-14-2013, 06:11 PM
A lot of people forget that Humber actually put together a respectable 2011 season with the Sox. He was 9W-9L, 3.75 E.R.A. and he had that curve ball working for most of the year. If the 2011 club had any offense, he could have won 14 or 15 games that year. He was also off to a respectable April in 2012 until the perfect game. An argument could definitely be made that it really messed with his head.
I remember Humber being really good before the 2011 All-Star break. His second half was not so good, possibly attributed to running out of steam. I thought he'd be better in 2012, but it was not to be.

doublem23
05-14-2013, 11:53 PM
I remember Humber being really good before the 2011 All-Star break. His second half was not so good, possibly attributed to running out of steam. I thought he'd be better in 2012, but it was not to be.

Yes, he started 2011 great but he really wore on as the season went along. I admit I drank the Humber Kool-Aid, thought that Coop had fixed his former 1st round arm, and that he just ran out of steam in what has proven to be his first, and so far only, full season in the Majors. I assumed he was destined to be a key piece of the 2012 White Sox rotation. Man did I whiff on that one. :redface:

Foulke You
05-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Yes, he started 2011 great but he really wore on as the season went along. I admit I drank the Humber Kool-Aid, thought that Coop had fixed his former 1st round arm, and that he just ran out of steam in what has proven to be his first, and so far only, full season in the Majors. I assumed he was destined to be a key piece of the 2012 White Sox rotation. Man did I whiff on that one. :redface:
Don't feel bad, I thought the same thing. Humber ultimately was a big tease in 2011.

cards press box
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Is it possible that the perfect game will be Phil Humber's last complete game in the majors? How about that?

wilburaga
05-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Is it possible that the perfect game will be Phil Humber's last complete game in the majors? How about that?

Joe Cowley never won another game after his no hitter.

SI1020
05-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I've missed the boat on so many prospects, ones I thought would be major contributors but just weren't for whatever reasons. Not only is baseball a hard game, it's harder to handicap young players than it is for the other three major professional sports in the USA. As for Humber, I thought he could still be a decent back end of the rotation guy and think I posted as much. I wonder if he gets another opportunity somewhere else down the line.