PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/11 Errors R Us, Angels 3 White Sox 2 Postgame Thread

shingo10
05-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Same song verse 20.

Horrible AB by Dunn in the 9th. 3 pitches? Really.

But the problem is not just him....it's everything.

SCCWS
05-11-2013, 09:20 PM
At least the Sox have helped the Angels end their losing ways. I think we need to start a Tyler Flowers Appreciation Thread.

DumpJerry
05-11-2013, 09:26 PM
The gameday thread was only one page long. That says it all.

delben91
05-11-2013, 09:30 PM
A positive is that Quintana is continuing last year's success.

Bucky F. Dent
05-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Under the circumstances I'm impressed with our starting pitchers, and don't have a great deal bad to say about the bullpen.

The rest of the team just makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

thomas35forever
05-11-2013, 09:39 PM
The game got colder as it went on and so did the bats. The difference was the errors and I continue to shake my head at this. Wish I didn't have to suffer all this at the park tonight. We might be in the 11th by now otherwise

shingo10
05-11-2013, 09:39 PM
A positive is that Quintana is continuing last year's success.

Yes, hopefully his strength is a little better this year so he can stay solid all the way through...I agree he has been impressive and a bright spot in an otherwise dark place.

DickAllen72
05-11-2013, 09:41 PM
I think we need to start a Tyler Flowers Appreciation Thread.
During tonight's telecast, they mentioned that the Sox now lead the league in passed balls.

Boondock Saint
05-11-2013, 09:46 PM
During tonight's telecast, they mentioned that the Sox now lead the league in passed balls.

We lead the league in something!!! :gulp:

Railsplitter
05-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Bleh

RadioheadRocks
05-11-2013, 10:02 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/ldgm19Grlqfijcok0l0Tl5BAo1_400.jpg

This team needs an enema.

SoxSpeed22
05-11-2013, 10:11 PM
So do you bench everybody? :scratch:

DumpJerry
05-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Everybody but the pitchers.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2013, 10:31 PM
This and That:

Tribune reports Robin had a team meeting after the game upset with the poor play.

Another game, another night of pure unadulterated garbage.

Offense is putrid, defense is atrocious.

8th loss this year when allowing three runs or less...
8th loss in the last 12 games...

Tribune also has a story tonight when Dunn says that despite the Sox awful play they are "only" five or six games out of first and that things have to get better.

You'd think so just statistically however Dunn's 2011 campaign shows that's not always the case.

Besides to get back into things the Sox would have to get on a streak where they win like 10 of 11...with this brain-dead bunch that's not going to happen.

Maybe they'll do us all a favor and tank by June 1st so it won't be an issue anymore.

Hard to say that but this team disgusts me.

Lip

waldo_the_wolf
05-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Everybody but the pitchers.

And have Mike Ditka play every position?:lol:

Tragg
05-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Our starting pitchers have been great, but goodness they throw a lot of pitches. WE need them to either a)trade or b)to still have arm left when we get good in the future years.

tstrike2000
05-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Besides the usual errors, we're also among the league leaders in passed balls. Just more categories this team doesn't need to be in.

BainesHOF
05-11-2013, 11:11 PM
On the way to the game tonight I heard Ventura's pregame interview session. Someone asked him if any extra work is being done to address the defensive problems. He basically danced around answering the question, which led me to believe not a lot is being done. Then three errors and a passed ball take place in the first five innings. That does not include a Ramirez throw into the dirt that Dunn picked and a throw from the outfield that got away.

The players are ultimately responsible for their performance, but this team has gotten away from Ventura. It's the dumbest, dopiest Sox team I've seen. It's like watching Bozo's Circus everyday.

Dunn needs a day or two off immediately. He was booed loudly tonight, especially after his final at-bat. There's no need to let him get destroyed by the boo-birds Sunday night. Ventura needs to do the Donkey a favor and give him a mental break.

It's ridiculous that Ventura continues to bat Dunn cleanup. Drop him in the order. If he recaptures his home run mojo, then put him back in the cleanup spot. For now, though, he needs to be dropped.

Milw
05-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Every game that Dunn hits higher than the No. 7 spot in the lineup, I lose a little more respect for Robin. I don't think this debacle of a team is ultimately his fault, but he has to realize by now that Dunn simply isn't a middle-of-the-order hitter at this point.

JB98
05-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Besides the usual errors, we're also among the league leaders in passed balls. Just more categories this team doesn't need to be in.

After the passed ball cost the Sox the go-ahead run tonight, I came up with a great idea for a promotion: Tyler Flowers Bobblehands Doll Night. Maybe I'll email Brooks.

Flowers is Chris Snopek in catcher's gear. This reminds me of 1998 when the organization tried to dupe us fans into believing Snopek would be an adequate replacement for Robin Ventura. Nonsense. Now, the organization is trying to tell us Flowers is an adequate replacement for A.J. Pierzynski. Nonsense. Flowers is a marginal player, a career backup at best. He does not excel in any aspect of the game. End of story. He's only getting an opportunity because he's cheap and happened to be hanging around. He's done nothing to earn an everyday job.

It's time for Robin to make some changes. Start with dropping Dunn down in the batting order. I know they won't bench him, but can we at least reduce the number of ABs he gets by batting him eighth? Move Tank up. He can swing the bat.

When Beckham comes back, Keppinger plays 3B against left-handed pitching only. Otherwise, he rides the pine. I know Beckham isn't a good hitter, but look at how badly the infield defense is suffering without him. Keppinger stinks at 2B. Greene had an atrocious night in the field this evening.

And why the hell isn't Konerko playing 1B? I realize neither Konerko nor Dunn have any range, but Paulie is simply a better defender. He doesn't embarrass himself over there around the bag like Dunn does.

amsteel
05-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Until Dunn is out of the lineup this manager and organization are actively and knowingly not starting the best lineup they can. Simple as that.

I wish one of the players A) had a personality and B) the mindset to call a players only meeting. The only guy I could see doing that is Peavy and even that's a long shot.

Golden Sox
05-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Went to the game and it was another discouraging loss. I couldn't help but notice that half of the crowd got up and left after the 8th inning. The White Sox were only down by one run with one inning to go and still a ton of people left the game. This is starting to remind me of the 2007 season. Whenever the team was losing in 2007 most people left after the 7th inning. Needless to say, people obviously don't think this team is good enough to come back late in a game. Virtually every playoff team gets there with good pitching. This team can pitch but it simply can't hit. I hope Hahn does something about this, sooner rather than later. For all you old time White Sox fans that are reading this: Can you just about imagine what Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall would be saying about Adam Done if they were announcing for the White Sox now?

JB98
05-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Went to the game and it was another discouraging loss. I couldn't help but notice that half of the crowd got up and left after the 8th inning. The White Sox were only down by one run with one inning to go and still a ton of people left the game. This is starting to remind me of the 2007 season. Whenever the team was losing in 2007 most people left after the 7th inning. Needless to say, people obviously don't think this team is good enough to come back late in a game. Virtually every playoff team gets there with good pitching. This team can pitch but it simply can't hit. I hope Hahn does something about this, sooner rather than later.

We were also at the game tonight, and in the fifth inning, I believe I said, "We're only down 3-2, but I know we're going to lose." Sure enough. It sucks to be right about that, but you just get that feeling sometimes. I had it for most of 2011. I have it now. A one-run deficit might as well be 10. You just know they don't have it in them to come back.

amsteel
05-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Also, whatever good will the Sox built in May-August 2012 and by lowering ticket prices offseason has been completely destroyed in 35 games. Hell of an #Impact.

Brewski
05-11-2013, 11:40 PM
You fill holes with other teams' rejects and you expect air tight baseball? Ha. It's getting hard to care.

insp
05-11-2013, 11:53 PM
This and That:

Tribune reports Robin had a team meeting after the game upset with the poor play.

Another game, another night of pure unadulterated garbage.

Offense is putrid, defense is atrocious.

8th loss this year when allowing three runs or less...
8th loss in the last 12 games...

Tribune also has a story tonight when Dunn says that despite the Sox awful play they are "only" five or six games out of first and that things have to get better.

You'd think so just statistically however Dunn's 2011 campaign shows that's not always the case.

Besides to get back into things the Sox would have to get on a streak where they win like 10 of 11...with this brain-dead bunch that's not going to happen.

Maybe they'll do us all a favor and tank by June 1st so it won't be an issue anymore.

Hard to say that but this team disgusts me.

Lip

Given your track record of sheer unadulterated negativity, I'd say that it was pretty easy for you to say that......

TaylorStSox
05-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Viciedo looks good. That's all I got.:redface:

thomas35forever
05-11-2013, 11:56 PM
We were also at the game tonight, and in the fifth inning, I believe I said, "We're only down 3-2, but I know we're going to lose." Sure enough. It sucks to be right about that, but you just get that feeling sometimes. I had it for most of 2011. I have it now. A one-run deficit might as well be 10. You just know they don't have it in them to come back.
During Dunn's final at-bat, before the last pitch was even released, I said "Strike 3, you're out." He didn't disappoint. God, I hate that he has to be this kind of player. Easily one of the worst contracts in White Sox history.

shingo10
05-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Until Dunn is out of the lineup this manager and organization are actively and knowingly not starting the best lineup they can. Simple as that.

I wish one of the players A) had a personality and B) the mindset to call a players only meeting. The only guy I could see doing that is Peavy and even that's a long shot.

I think its time for some new ownership. I know its been discussed at length around here already but this is freaking Chicago, one of the biggest and best markets in the country and this is what we are running out there every night? It's beyond embarrassing. The fans deserve better and the city deserves better.

A Chicago sports team should NOT feel like a small time operation. But who would want to come play for the White Sox at this point? Its a black hole...there are very supportive and loyal fans but they are also smart enough to recognize when nobody gives a damn.

JR did show some solid support for this team when he opened up his checkbook before the 2010 season and I know our payroll is one of the higher ones in the league. BUT. There comes a point when enough is enough. I have no idea if this ownership group feels like they have given enough and are okay with the results or if they take a horrible start like this as hard as the rest of us do. But if its the former then why don't they sell to people who will actively try to help this organization become what a Chicago sports franchise should be. And if its the latter then the public perception might be better if they expressed some kind of willingness to make necessary changes to improve the team.

StillMissOzzie
05-12-2013, 12:47 AM
I would like to believe that the offense will come around, although Dunn is proof positive that it doesn't have to. The starting pitching has been very good, and the bullpen, while walking way too many, has shown signs of life.

The part that continues to mystify and aggravate me to no end is the sloppy defense. What good is Tyler Flower's superior throwing capability when a passed ball allows runners to advance uncontested? Even a few of the regulars have seemed to have grown hands of iron lately.

Even Chris "Let me blow some more sunshine up your poop chute" Rongey has grown skeptical, talking about Tyler Greene's days probably being numbered. I sure hope he has some inside info here.

SMO
:mad::angry::scratch:

Foulke You
05-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Watched this game in person and it was just a death march after we coughed up the go ahead run. Down only 1 run, there was no energy in the ballpark for the remainder of the game despite 28k in the house on a frigid night. It seemed like we were down 8 runs. Can't get excited when there is nothing to cheer about. The Sox are just so unexciting to watch right now. Hard to fathom so many slumping guys can be in one lineup. The comedy of defensive errors is embarassing.

Dunn was extra pitiful tonight. Not sure what Sox management must be thinking behind the scenes with each K and mounting boos from the crowd. Keppinger has been almost as pathetic minus the Ks. Zero walks, 6 RBI, .185 ish avg and zero HRs for our offseason free agent signing.

Also, you have to admire the bad luck this team has going to compliment the ineptitude.Gillespie was a late scratch tonight with a respiratory infection. He is one of two hitters on the Sox batting close to .300 that gives quality at bats and of course he is sick.

One positive besides the pitching is that Tank looked good again tonight. Couple of hits, another walk, and he is working counts deeper. This team desperately needs him to take the next step.

JB98
05-12-2013, 01:51 AM
During Dunn's final at-bat, before the last pitch was even released, I said "Strike 3, you're out." He didn't disappoint. God, I hate that he has to be this kind of player. Easily one of the worst contracts in White Sox history.

CSG, tebman, son of tebman and I were trying to predict how many pitches it would take Dunn to strike out during each of his plate appearances. "3" was the winning number on two occasions, including the ninth.

You have to joke about the lousiness of this team to keep from crying.

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2013, 07:01 AM
That throw from Greene killed us, game should still be going on.
It was very lackadaisical. We need Beckham back ASAP.
I can't believe what a bad defensive team this is right now.

Adam Dunn if he was any kind of a man would either retire or give back at least half the money on his contract, man is a disgrace.
He deserved all the boos he heard last night.

Hate to say it but Paulie might be just about finished.

The Tank hit the ball hard last night, might be time to groom him for first base.

Flowers was going to be this great defensive catcher, not happening. I thought with regular playing time he would become a decent hitter, not going to happen. Another Sox minor league product flopping.

Chrisaway
05-12-2013, 07:12 AM
I caught a foul ball....that's the only positive i can come up with. This team pains me.

DrCrawdad
05-12-2013, 08:07 AM

After the passed ball cost the Sox the go-ahead run tonight, I came up with a great idea for a promotion: Tyler Flowers Bobblehands Doll Night. Maybe I'll email Brooks.

Flowers is Chris Snopek in catcher's gear. This reminds me of 1998 when the organization tried to dupe us fans into believing Snopek would be an adequate replacement for Robin Ventura. Nonsense. Now, the organization is trying to tell us Flowers is an adequate replacement for A.J. Pierzynski. Nonsense. Flowers is a marginal player, a career backup at best. He does not excel in any aspect of the game. End of story. He's only getting an opportunity because he's cheap and happened to be hanging around. He's done nothing to earn an everyday job.

It's time for Robin to make some changes. Start with dropping Dunn down in the batting order. I know they won't bench him, but can we at least reduce the number of ABs he gets by batting him eighth? Move Tank up. He can swing the bat.

When Beckham comes back, Keppinger plays 3B against left-handed pitching only. Otherwise, he rides the pine. I know Beckham isn't a good hitter, but look at how badly the infield defense is suffering without him. Keppinger stinks at 2B. Greene had an atrocious night in the field this evening.

And why the hell isn't Konerko playing 1B? I realize neither Konerko nor Dunn have any range, but Paulie is simply a better defender. He doesn't embarrass himself over there around the bag like Dunn does.

That throw from Greene killed us, game should still be going on.
It was very lackadaisical. We need Beckham back ASAP.
I can't believe what a bad defensive team this is right now.

Adam Dunn if he was any kind of a man would either retire or give back at least half the money on his contract, man is a disgrace.
He deserved all the boos he heard last night.

Hate to say it but Paulie might be just about finished.

The Tank hit the ball hard last night, might be time to groom him for first base.

Flowers was going to be this great defensive catcher, not happening. I thought with regular playing time he would become a decent hitter, not going to happen. Another Sox minor league product flopping.

I had a degree of hope for Flowers going into the season. But Flowers can't hit and can't catch, other than that...

IIRC a couple of Flowers passed balls have been very costly too.

This Sox team consistently produces just enough to lose.

SephClone89
05-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Terrible weather the last two nights, and not very good baseball, either.

At least I got to see Mike Trout being awesome?

Heff
05-12-2013, 08:38 AM
I had a degree of hope for Flowers going into the season. But Flowers can't hit and can't catch, other than that...

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln? :smile:

With the way this season's going, I'm betting that as soon as the hitting gets going, our pitching (the lone bright spot thus far) runs out of gas. On the plus side, I'll have an extra 3 hours a day this summer to, like, clean the garage or something...

ChiSoxGal85
05-12-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm really disappointed in the defense. I think the Sox need Beckham's D a lot more than most realized. And I wish Robin would play Konerko at first more. Dunn at first isn't helping Dunn or the team. I wonder if Konerko has some medical issue that's keeping him DHing.

When the Sox went down one run last night, I gave up. For me this season is so 2011-ish, except I'm not angry, mostly apathetic. But still hoping they can pull it together and go on a run.

SCCWS
05-12-2013, 09:05 AM

Lip

Obviously Dunn's math skills are as bad as his hitting. The White Sox are 6 games behind the Tigers. If The Sox won 6 straight and the Tigers lost 6th straight they would be tied. But the White Sox would most likely not be tied for first. There are 3 other teams in front of them. So If the Indians or Royals won 6 straight at the same time, the Sox would still be 5 out. With divisional play, this problem becomes more pronounced.
With 4 teams in front of them, all 4-6 games ahead in the loss column, the White Sox are more closer to 10-12 games out of first than 6.

Over By There
05-12-2013, 09:10 AM
With the way this season's going, I'm betting that as soon as the hitting gets going, our pitching (the lone bright spot thus far) runs out of gas.

Funny, I had the same thought last night. The starters have been laboring, throwing a lot of pitches, keeping the team in games. I was thinking, the offense almost can't help but get a little better as the season goes on, but I wonder if the pitching staff can hold up when they're constantly asked to keep it close in low scoring games.

nsolo
05-12-2013, 09:13 AM
For all you old time White Sox fans that are reading this: Can you just about imagine what Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall would be saying about Adam Done if they were announcing for the White Sox now?

They would be leading the charge with the boo-birds. But considering the whole team performance, I doubt that neither Caray or Piersall would be merciful on anyone.

Bobby Thigpen
05-12-2013, 10:58 AM
. Another Sox minor league product flopping.
He's been with the Sox two or three years right?

Tragg
05-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Just look at the roster. Greene was cut by the Astros. Wise and his career .268 OBP is signed to be the 4th outfielder and top bench hitter. Keppinger is basically a utility player who has always been weak defensively - ended up the Sox need him as a starter instead of a role player.
Flowers and Tank just haven't pushed out to start producing credible numbers.
As a team, they don't work counts; I tend to think that's a weakness in organizational philosophy and instruction, but it's just a guess as it's been going so long and long-time manager Guillen in his own words had little use for patient approaches.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Since last September 19th the Sox are now 18-31 in their last 49 games.

Obviously last year's collapse is still going on.

Honestly as much as I'd like to see Hahn do something, anything to shake things up, turn things around I don't know what he can do.

There's no help in the minor leagues, still a bunch of guys are injured and it's to early to trade even if another team wanted some of the Sox stiffs.

There's also a chance as Noneck believes that even if Hahn could do something he might not be allowed to (which supposedly why he didn't do much of anything this off season...)

It's yet another 'caught between a rock and a hard place' situation the Sox find themselves in, with no clear way out and no clear plan.

And to those wondering about why Konerko isn't playing first base, I thought I saw where he continues to have some back issues.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2013, 11:30 AM
He's been with the Sox two or three years right?

You are right, we got him in December of 2008 from Atlanta in the Vasquez trade along with Lilibeast.
Just seems that he should be a product of our farm system, he fits right in.

Mr. Jinx
05-12-2013, 11:37 AM
We gotta get Flowers back on the juice.

harwar
05-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I think that it's time to try the names in the hat thing .. put the names of the starting lineup in a hat and pick the batting order at random..

Bobby Thigpen
05-12-2013, 12:00 PM
You are right, we got him in December of 2008 from Atlanta in the Vasquez trade along with Lilibeast.
Just seems that he should be a product of our farm system, he fits right in.
Wow. I don't remember him being around that long.

GoSox2K3
05-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Given your track record of sheer unadulterated negativity, I'd say that it was pretty easy for you to say that......

Wow, only your 2nd post in more than 6 months and you use it to make a slam on Lip. :rolleyes:

Do you actually have anything insightful to add to the conversation?