PDA

View Full Version : Viciedo returns, Danks optioned

kittle42
05-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Yes! One more cold weather wonder!

BigHurt3515
05-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I am glad he is back. Might take him a few game to get going. Hopefully he is fully healed though

SephClone89
05-10-2013, 02:38 PM
And the Danks conspiracy will continue.

TheVulture
05-10-2013, 03:38 PM

I'm fairly confident Danks could do better than .145/.242/.347.

Brewski
05-10-2013, 06:53 PM
His mistake was hitting that game-winning home run. That'll do it every time. The demotion did take a few days longer this year.

Golden Sox
05-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Jordan Danks must not fit into the White Sox plans. Every time he hits a game winning home run he gets sent down to the minors. I was at that game last year when Danks hit the walk off home run against Oakland. It was one of the hardest hit home runs I have ever seen in my life. He's probably our best defensive outfielder also. For some reason or another, the White Sox management team does not think highly of him. If he doesn't fit into this teams future plans the White Sox should move him to another team and he can get another chance elsewhere.

Noneck
05-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Danks was the only ofer that had options.

kittle42
05-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Danks was the only ofer that had options.

Which is how baseball works. They're not gonna release Wise, regardless of what you think of him, to keep Danks up.

Falstaff
05-10-2013, 08:47 PM
So, "that's just baseball" is why the WS do not field their best possible line up? Jordan Danks has proven himself to be more valuable than DeWayne Wise, he deserves to play everyday, or at least fill that bench slot. Not "just baseball", its the White Sox mgt being stupid and giving fans one less reason to care.

Mr. Jinx
05-10-2013, 08:50 PM
So, "that's just baseball" is why the WS do not field their best possible line up? Jordan Danks has proven himself to be more valuable than DeWayne Wise, he deserves to play everyday, or at least fill that bench slot. Not "just baseball", its the White Sox mgt being stupid and giving fans one less reason to care.

Exactly how has Danks proven himself to be more valuable than anyone at this point? Because he hit one home run that covered up his baserunning screwup earlier?

Danks may be a good player down the road (although I doubt it) but he hasn't done anything yet to suggest something like that.

dickallen15
05-10-2013, 09:22 PM

What? Jordan Danks? You are actually complaining about Jordan Danks going to Charlotte? Wise is a better player.

RKMeibalane
05-10-2013, 10:10 PM
What? Jordan Danks? You are actually complaining about Jordan Danks going to Charlotte? Wise is a better player.

:rolling:

Dewayne Wise isn't better than anybody at baseball except that worthless piece of **** named Adam Dunn.

Mr. Jinx
05-10-2013, 11:57 PM
:rolling:

Dewayne Wise isn't better than anybody at baseball except that worthless piece of **** named Adam Dunn.

Please show me any statistical evidence that Jordan Danks is better than Wise. Hell, give me any circumstantial evidence at that rate.

doublem23
05-11-2013, 12:05 AM

Oh for Christ's sake, the other 29 teams would have done the exact same thing; when you have a chance to keep both crappy players why get rid of one for the other? Wise and Danks are completely interchangeable players.

The only people being stupid are the people who get worked up over whether Wise or Danks deserves to be man #25 on this roster.

P.S. by sending him to Charlotte to play regularly instead of sit on the bench 6 days a week, you can argue the Sox actually hold Danks in higher regard than Wise.

JB98
05-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah, Wise and Danks are essentially the same player. Wise has spent the better part of a decade bouncing back and forth between the majors and AAA. Jordan Danks is well on his way to a similar existence.

I don't know why people think Jordan Danks is the answer to the Sox problems. He's too old to be a prospect anymore. He's spent the better part of the last four years at AAA. He's just an organizational player.

Bobby Thigpen
05-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't know why people think Jordan Danks is the answer to the Sox problems. He's too old to be a prospect anymore. He's spent the better part of the last four years at AAA. He's just an organizational player.
Because, as a fan base, Sox fans seem to think there's always someone who is being misused by the organization that if only they'd use them like they need to be used they'd be the answer to every problem there is.

amsteel
05-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Wise and Danks are the R in WAR.

kittle42
05-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah, Wise and Danks are essentially the same player. Wise has spent the better part of a decade bouncing back and forth between the majors and AAA. Jordan Danks is well on his way to a similar existence.

Because, as a fan base, Sox fans seem to think there's always someone who is being misused by the organization that if only they'd use them like they need to be used they'd be the answer to every problem there is.

Great posts.

I would add, Sox fans only like Jordan Danks because his last name is Danks. Oh, his brother sucks, too, but is at least a No. 4 MLB rotation guy. Jordan? He is a 24th/25th/AAA guy on every team. Every organization has them. They're called "organizational depth."

DSpivack
05-11-2013, 11:20 AM

I don't think Sox fans are alone in that. The backup QB is often the most popular player on a football team.

kittle42
05-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't think Sox fans are alone in that. The backup QB is often the most popular player on a football team.

Yeah, but that's just Bears fans.:D:

mahagga73
05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Please show me any statistical evidence that Jordan Danks is better than Wise. Hell, give me any circumstantial evidence at that rate.

Anybody is better than Wise, I agree with the poster wondering why Danks was optioned. The man has a career OBP of 260 . Normally that makes you a career minor leaguer except if the Sox love you, and for some reason, keep you in the bigs. Danks looks to me like a player who can't help but be better than Wise.

mahagga73
05-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Great posts.

I would add, Sox fans only like Jordan Danks because his last name is Danks. Oh, his brother sucks, too, but is at least a No. 4 MLB rotation guy. Jordan? He is a 24th/25th/AAA guy on every team. Every organization has them. They're called "organizational depth."

So why is Wise in the major leaguers then? Only the Sox keep a guy with a career batting average of .220 and an OBP of .260 around. He has no business on a quality major league roster.

Heff
05-12-2013, 07:39 PM
He has no business on a quality major league roster.

The key word is "quality". :smile:

We've got a ways to go, it seems... it's going to be a long few years if something drastic doesn't happen soon...

SephClone89
05-12-2013, 07:49 PM

I'm fairly confident Danks could do better than .145/.242/.347.

I was referring to the fact that Jordan and John have yet to be on the 25-man roster at the same time.

SephClone89
05-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Great posts.

Wait, do you really think John Danks sucks?

asindc
05-12-2013, 07:50 PM
So why is Wise in the major leaguers then? Only the Sox keep a guy with a career batting average of .220 and an OBP of .260 around. He has no business on a quality major league roster.

Bull****.

JB98
05-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Anybody is better than Wise, I agree with the poster wondering why Danks was optioned. The man has a career OBP of 260 . Normally that makes you a career minor leaguer except if the Sox love you, and for some reason, keep you in the bigs. Danks looks to me like a player who can't help but be better than Wise.

Wise isn't even the worst player on the Sox, let alone the worst player in baseball. I don't know how you can make that statement, unless you have something personal against the guy.

It's pretty easy to see why Danks was optioned. He and Wise are essentially the same player. Danks has options; Wise does not. Easy decision. Every other team in MLB would have done the same thing.

mahagga73
05-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Bull****.

Nope, the Sox have kept him in the league longer than anyone with his numbers should be, so no bull. Nobody else wants him.

JB98
05-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Nope, the Sox have kept him in the league longer than anyone with his numbers should be, so no bull. Nobody else wants him.

I disagree. The guy has had three different stints with Toronto. If the Sox DFA'd him, I'd bet you somebody else would pick him up. Wise has managed to stay in pro ball a long time. He hasn't been with the Sox for his entire career, ya know?

asindc
05-12-2013, 08:10 PM

And you know this how?

mahagga73
05-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Wise isn't even the worst player on the Sox, let alone the worst player in baseball. I don't know how you can make that statement, unless you have something personal against the guy.

It's pretty easy to see why Danks was optioned. He and Wise are essentially the same player. Danks has options; Wise does not. Easy decision. Every other team in MLB would have done the same thing.

I don't have anything against anybody , Wise is clearly a AAA player who has had his career extended by one team way longer than it should have been. Is there something about .229 and .260 you don't understand? That clearly has to be among the worst numbers of any player that has somehow been kept in the majors as long as he has been .

mahagga73
05-12-2013, 08:21 PM
And you know this how?

LOL, the Sox continually rescue him from the scrap heap that's how. Pretty easy to see. Thanks to the complete lack of quality position players in the system we have to watch players like Greene and Wise . I'm not trying to disrespect a guy that is better than almost anyone in the world at his craft, just by virtue of ever having made the majors, but he isn't anyone that will play on a good team at this level.

SI1020
05-12-2013, 09:20 PM
A cyber brawl over who should be on the team, Wise or Danks. It just shows the dearth of talent in the Sox organization right now. Relax and have the drink of your choice, it promises to be a long difficult baseball season.

Tragg
05-12-2013, 09:23 PM

We have Greene, so I guess it's arguable. Maybe wells. Otherwise, he's clearly the worst player on the roster. Danks has less than 300 career at bats.
Most teams wouldn't have this guy on the roster and certainly not as top bench bat. He's a remnant of the Guillen/Williams philosophy in this organization. Options? Yikes.
over 1000 at bats and an OBP under .270. Who, pray tell in MLB is worse? I know it probably doesn't make any difference, but wise has no chance to improve and just gets up there and does exactly what we shouldn't want a hitter to do - swing at everything.

JB98
05-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't have anything against anybody , Wise is clearly a AAA player who has had his career extended by one team way longer than it should have been. Is there something about .229 and .260 you don't understand? That clearly has to be among the worst numbers of any player that has somehow been kept in the majors as long as he has been .

So is Danks.

JB98
05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
We have Greene, so I guess it's arguable. Maybe wells. Otherwise, he's clearly the worst player on the roster. Danks has less than 300 career at bats.
Most teams wouldn't have this guy on the roster and certainly not as top bench bat. He's a remnant of the Guillen/Williams philosophy in this organization. Options? Yikes.
over 1000 at bats and an OBP under .270. Who, pray tell in MLB is worse? I know it probably doesn't make any difference, but wise has no chance to improve and just gets up there and does exactly what we shouldn't want a hitter to do - swing at everything.

That's an easy one. Corky Miller is worse.

Actually, Casper Wells is worse too. Wise isn't even the worst player on this roster, as I indicated.

JB98
05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
LOL, the Sox continually rescue him from the scrap heap that's how. Pretty easy to see. Thanks to the complete lack of quality position players in the system we have to watch players like Greene and Wise . I'm not trying to disrespect a guy that is better than almost anyone in the world at his craft, just by virtue of ever having made the majors, but he isn't anyone that will play on a good team at this level.

He played on the Yankees last year. And they were disappointed when they had to let him go. He played well for them.

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2013, 10:55 PM
That's an easy one. Corky Miller is worse.

Actually, Casper Wells is worse too. Wise isn't even the worst player on this roster, as I indicated.

That says more about the Sox than it says about Wise.

Putting longevity and salary aside, the Sox have three position players whose performance would merit a starting job on a few other teams: Rios, Alexei and Gillaspie.

CoopaLoop
05-12-2013, 11:22 PM
All we need is Brian Anderson and we have ourselves a party in this here thread.

WLL1855
05-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Holy ****. After all the warts this team has are we really bitching about Danks being sent down over Wise getting his release?

REALLY? Sweet Jesus.

It is like arguing the band playing on the deck of the titanic is out of tune while the ship is ****ing sinking.

Boondock Saint
05-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Holy ****. After all the warts this team has are we really bitching about Danks being sent down over Wise getting his release?

REALLY? Sweet Jesus.

It is like arguing the band playing on the deck of the titanic is out of tune while the ship is ****ing sinking.

Well, the cellist was really ****ty.

JB98
05-13-2013, 12:22 AM
That says more about the Sox than it says about Wise.

Putting longevity and salary aside, the Sox have three position players whose performance would merit a starting job on a few other teams: Rios, Alexei and Gillaspie.

Probably true, although Konerko would start for other teams based upon reputation and track record. He certainly has not played well this season, however.

The whole Wise/Danks question isn't going to tip the scales one way or the other, and I'm just baffled that some people here believe the organization has done Danks wrong. The guy is just an organizational outfielder, nothing more, nothing less. He'll be back if there's another injury.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
I don't think the organization "has done Danks wrong," but I do think the organization - with it's emphasis on longevity and profit over performance excellence - often prefers veteran mediocrity over young mediocrity.

In this exact situation, I'd keep Wise over Danks because Danks has options. But I'd look for a way to get a player better than Wise.

Actually, let's think big picture. I'd look for a much better starting CF, to push DeAza to the bench and push Wise and Wells off the roster.

Bobby Thigpen
05-13-2013, 09:21 AM
All we need is Brian Anderson and we have ourselves a party in this here thread.
No. Rowand. This thread needs more Aaron Rowand.

Or Nick Swisher. You make the call.

doublem23
05-13-2013, 09:24 AM

You have to realize your argument is kind of flawed considering last season, the Wise made more appearances for the Yankees than the Sox, right?

SCCWS
05-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Oh for Christ's sake, the other 29 teams would have done the exact same thing; when you have a chance to keep both crappy players why get rid of one for the other? Wise and Danks are completely interchangeable players.

The only people being stupid are the people who get worked up over whether Wise or Danks deserves to be man #25 on this roster.

P.S. by sending him to Charlotte to play regularly instead of sit on the bench 6 days a week, you can argue the Sox actually hold Danks in higher regard than Wise.

Actually, if you are only using your 4th outfielder once a week, you better have 3 studs playing in front of him. Now considering the White Sox are one of the weakest offensive teams in baseball, I would think the 4th outfielder would get a chance to play several times a week.
Also, I don't think options is even a concern. If you kept Danks and DFA'd Wise, my guess is Wise claears waivers and could go to AAA. If someone claims him, even better, you have found a great future trading partner when the time comes.

doublem23
05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Actually, if you are only using your 4th outfielder once a week, you better have 3 studs playing in front of him. Now considering the White Sox are one of the weakest offensive teams in baseball, I would think the 4th outfielder would get a chance to play several times a week.

OK, but anyone whose been paying attention to the way Robin manages knows that's not the case

mahagga73
05-13-2013, 07:36 PM
I disagree. The guy has had three different stints with Toronto. If the Sox DFA'd him, I'd bet you somebody else would pick him up. Wise has managed to stay in pro ball a long time. He hasn't been with the Sox for his entire career, ya know?

Maybe, but I cannot see what it is that he brings to a team that a hundred AAA players can't. A .270 OBP is historically bad. The Yankees , who won 90 plus last year had him and Nix on the roster , how's that work . A previous poster said Danks was also AAA quality, I don't know how you can make that statement after 300 at bats, especially when he has played pretty decent.

DSpivack
05-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Maybe, but I cannot see what it is that he brings to a team that a hundred AAA players can't. A .270 OBP is historically bad. The Yankees , who won 90 plus last year had him and Nix on the roster , how's that work . A previous poster said Danks was also AAA quality, I don't know how you can make that statement after 300 at bats, especially when he has played pretty decent.

.220/.290/.305 is not "pretty decent." It's horrendously awful, especially for an OF. Heck, he has a career .268 batting average in the minor leagues.

Jordan Danks, like Dewayne Wise, sucks. The Sox would be better off finding upgrades over both of them.

TheVulture
05-13-2013, 08:25 PM
No. Rowand. This thread needs more Aaron Rowand.

Are you kidding? No one mentioned in this thread is fit to carry Rowand's jock strap. Rowand in his prime would be the best player on this team.

JB98
05-13-2013, 08:39 PM
.220/.290/.305 is not "pretty decent." It's horrendously awful, especially for an OF. Heck, he has a career .268 batting average in the minor leagues.

Jordan Danks, like Dewayne Wise, sucks. The Sox would be better off finding upgrades over both of them.

Exactly. I hesitate to defend Wise too much. If he were sent packing, I wouldn't shed a tear. But, the reality isn't Danks can't play a lick either. It's hardly an injustice that he was sent out while Wise was kept.

doublem23
05-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Exactly. I hesitate to defend Wise too much. If he were sent packing, I wouldn't shed a tear. But, the reality isn't Danks can't play a lick either. It's hardly an injustice that he was sent out while Wise was kept.

Yes, the reason you option Danks to Charlotte and keep Wise is because they're the exact same player but at least now you have a little cushion. If something happens to Wise, you just call up Wise, Jr. AKA Danks. But if you let go of Wise to keep Danks, what happens if something happens to him? I don't even know who is next in line in this organization... Luis Durango? Tekotte? Mitchell?

Ugh

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Rowand in his prime would be the best player on this team.

That's not far from the truth, actually.

Bobby Thigpen
05-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Are you kidding? No one mentioned in this thread is fit to carry Rowand's jock strap. Rowand in his prime would be the best player on this team.
Yes!

The legend of Rowand continues!

delben91
05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
What if they brought back both Rowand AND Brian Anderson?!?!?! (Is Julio Ramirez free? That kid has an impressive bat...)

Bobby Thigpen
05-14-2013, 10:02 AM
What if they brought back both Rowand AND Brian Anderson?!?!?! (Is Julio Ramirez free? That kid has an impressive bat...)
I think that much awesomeness in one place at one time would cause a rip in the space time continuum and we would all instantly perish.

doublem23
05-14-2013, 10:48 AM
I think that much awesomeness in one place at one time would cause a rip in the space time continuum and we would all instantly perish.

I'm having a hard time deciding between that or continuing to watch the 2013 Sox. :D: