PDA

View Full Version : Happ drilled in the head

shingo10
05-07-2013, 10:31 PM
J.A. Happ became the latest to take a liner off the head. The ball bounced WAY down the first base line after ricocheting off his head. Just sickening.

1) Sincerely hope he is okay.

2) ESPN is "reporting" that baseball has been having discussing about pitchers wearing helmets. I don't want to claim that as fact because ESPN spews a lot of nonsense but if it really is the case then it'll obviously be a hot topic of debate. To me it is almost becoming necessary. I really would hate to see the day someone gets hit just right and is injured in a life altering way or worse.

Marqhead
05-07-2013, 11:08 PM
I don't want to see anyone injured either, but it's a risk you take when you play the game. It's one of the reasons these guys get paid millions.

thomas35forever
05-07-2013, 11:17 PM
That's the quietest I've heard a ballpark in a long time.

DonnieDarko
05-08-2013, 05:44 AM
God, that was a sickening sound.

eriqjaffe
05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
FWIW, Happ is currently listed in Stable condition. So it could have been worse.

#1swisher
05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Sportsnet
J.A. Happ left the hospital Wednesday with the use of crutches and a brace on
his right knee. The left-hander is in good condition after taking a line drive to the head in Tuesday's game.

WhiteSox5187
05-08-2013, 12:51 PM
They say that when a ball bounces far off a player's head it is actually a good sign. I am not so sure about that, when Ray Chapman was killed back in 1920 they say that the third baseman threw the ball over to first because he initially believed that Chapman had bunted. I am glad to see he is okay.

Oblong
05-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't want to see anyone injured either, but it's a risk you take when you play the game. It's one of the reasons these guys get paid millions.

They don't get paid millions due to the risk. It's simply because they excel at something that lots of people pay to watch and that attracts large TV audiences. Golfers make millions too and they are not at risk.