PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-7 One hit in 10 innings won't cut it; NYM 1 SOX 0 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Sometimes you tip your cap to the opposing pitcher; sometimes you flip the double bird to your own hitters. Tonight, we do both.

shingo10
05-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Great job Santiago.

Horrible job offense.

And on a baseball note, hope Illinois' own J.A. Happ is okay after taking a liner off the head.

Bucky F. Dent
05-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Santiago deserved better, much better!

Shoeless_Jeff
05-07-2013, 09:50 PM
This team is boring. I'm going to take some time off from watching them.

Frater Perdurabo
Could we petition Selig to change the rules to make it possible to score runs while playing the field? That way, we never have to hit?

thomas35forever
Santiago was great, but Harvey was even better. Can't do anything about that sometimes.

Tragg
05-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Another loss on a walk.

But that's okay offense, we don't need any walks. We learned through this "aggressive hitting" organization that walks don't matter - keep up that aggressive hitting - a pitch taken is a wasted opportunity to hit a homer.

DirtySox
05-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Matt Harvey is really fun to watch. He's fantastic. Glad I finally caught one of his starts. Santiago was no slouch either. Entertaining game tonight, despite the loss.

Also:

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 12s
Matt Harvey's Game Score tonight was 97. Since 1916, there have been only 40 outings of nine innings or fewer with a higher Game Score.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Zakath
05-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Harvey was fantastic, as was Hector.

Not sure why Robin sent Jones out to pitch the 10th, but that came back to bite us in the ass with the D.L.O.W.

LITTLE NELL
05-07-2013, 10:00 PM
What more else is there to say except this is the worst hitting Sox team since I became a fan in the early 50s.

SI1020
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Matt Harvey is really fun to watch. He's fantastic. Glad I finally caught one of his starts. Santiago was no slouch either. Entertaining game tonight, despite the loss.

Also:

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 12s
Matt Harvey's Game Score tonight was 97. Since 1916, there have been only 40 outings of nine innings or fewer with a higher Game Score.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More Game Score is one of the newer stats I really like. What an accomplishment for Harvey. How weak and pathetic our hitting is.

Lip Man 1
05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Time for the pitchers to sue for non-support. Another brilliant pitching performance flushed right down the toilet.

Offense is beyond brutal.

7th loss when allowing three runs or less...
2-4 in extra inning games this year...
10 runs scored in last five games (two shutouts)...
2nd loss this year by a 1-0 score...

Like I said these clowns make the 67 Sox look like the 27 Yankees hitting wise.

Lip

Boondock Saint
05-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Sometimes you tip your cap to the opposing pitcher; sometimes you flip the double bird to your own hitters. Tonight, we do both.

Amen. Harvey is real good. Our hitters are real bad.

tstrike2000
05-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Great job by Hector, but not much you can do with Harvey. He had all of his pitches working for him. He's a great talent. In the event we did get no-hit, at least it would've been to a great pitcher and not that Liriano steaming pile of fecal matter two years ago.

Soxman219
05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Harvey is an elite pitcher, so I already knew runs were gonna be hard to come by, but man only 1 hit that didn't even leave the infield!

Abomination.

PS-Was very impressed with Harvey

BainesHOF
05-07-2013, 10:43 PM
It's time to activate Ventura, Baines, Melton, Thomas and possibly Minoso.

Golden Sox
05-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Was/Is Konerko hurt? He didn't start or pinch hit tonight. I can't believe Konerko is being benched in favor of a guy hitting 1:20. I realize this is a money thing with Adam Done. If he was a rookie or even making a salary of $2 million dollars a year, he would be off this team by now. But still, to bench your team Captain for Done is beyond belief.

rainbow6
05-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Tied for the sixth worst winning percentage in baseball. Others have doubted it but I am assuming we will net a top five draft pick next year.

Only Miami has scored fewer runs, yet our assclown of a manager will trot out an automatic 0 4 in the clean up spot all summer.

And let's not make this loss all about Harvey- did anyone really think we would score against their bullpen?

Me neither.

SephClone89
05-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Was/Is Konerko hurt? He didn't start or pinch hit tonight. I can't believe Konerko is being benched in favor of a guy hitting 1:20. I realize this is a money thing with Adam Done. If he was a rookie or even making a salary of $2 million dollars a year, he would be off this team by now. But still, to bench your team Captain for Done is beyond belief.

You forgot to fill out the title line! :redneck

ChicagoG19
05-07-2013, 11:18 PM
I think this is one of those games where you actually have to just tip your cap. Harvey had probably the pitching performance and stuff we have seen this season.

Brian26
05-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Could we petition Selig to change the rules to make it possible to score runs while playing the field? That way, we never have to hit?

:hawk
"The three great and unique things about baseball that separate it from other sports are, 1.) There is no clock, 2.) The defensive team controls the ball, and 3.) When you are on defense, you cannot score. So, the answer is no, partner."

Brian26
05-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Game Score is one of the newer stats I really like. What an accomplishment for Harvey. How weak and pathetic our hitting is.

I was just trying to calculate Humber and Buehrle's scores for their perfect games (not that it is complicated, but I haven't seen the metric before). If I did it correctly, Humber got a 96, Buehrle a 93. Harvey had a 97 tonight.

Brian26
05-07-2013, 11:49 PM

Lip

Biggest clown moment, which nobody has mentioned, was when Hector wasn't on deck for his at bat and the game was delayed. That's Little League stuff. I know most of the team has checked out, but are Ventura and Parent sleeping in the dugout now? How does that happen? That's almost Bevington-esque.

Marqhead
05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
I was just trying to calculate Humber and Buehrle's scores for their perfect games (not that it is complicated, but I haven't seen the metric before). If I did it correctly, Humber got a 96, Buehrle a 93. Harvey had a 97 tonight.

You're correct on the first two, ESPN hasn't posted Harvey's yet.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/topperformers/_/type/pitching

amsteel
05-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Hawks have scored more in the last 4 than the Sox.

shingo10
05-08-2013, 12:23 AM
:hawk
"The three great and unique things about baseball that separate it from other sports are, 1.) There is no clock, 2.) The defensive team controls the ball, and 3.) When you are on defense, you cannot score. So, the answer is no, partner."

Well played.

BainesHOF
05-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Biggest clown moment, which nobody has mentioned, was when Hector wasn't on deck for his at bat and the game was delayed. That's Little League stuff. I know most of the team has checked out, but are Ventura and Parent sleeping in the dugout now? How does that happen? That's almost Bevington-esque.

It's Bozo's Circus everyday with this team, which is well on its way to being the dumbest Sox team I've watched.

Going back to Harvey...It was one of the most in-command performances I've ever seen. I'll take him over any pitcher in baseball right now.

Carneyman14
05-08-2013, 01:12 AM
1D5Sa2Yq-2g

JB98
05-08-2013, 01:12 AM
I don't think Jones had a loss all of last season. He's got three in the first 31 games this year. That's what happens when you walk people. He doesn't seem to be as effective when he comes out for a second inning of work. He better shore that up. There are times where the team needs him to provide more than just one inning.

Harvey is obviously pretty good. The Sox aren't the first team he has shut down this year.

That said, every pitcher the Sox face shuts them down, so it's becoming increasingly difficult to tell the difference between a well-pitched game by the opponent and just another poor showing by Sox hitters.

I'm starting to think it's going to be a pretty long year. When this team slumps, it slumps forever.

Zakath
05-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Tied for the sixth worst winning percentage in baseball. Others have doubted it but I am assuming we will net a top five draft pick next year.

Only Miami has scored fewer runs, yet our assclown of a manager will trot out an automatic 0 4 in the clean up spot all summer.

And let's not make this loss all about Harvey- did anyone really think we would score against their bullpen?

Me neither.

Which is sad because their bullpen really isn't that good, with the exception of Parnell.

It's also a bit of a stretch to call Harvey an elite pitcher, when the guy only has 7 career wins in the majors.

cards press box
05-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Santiago was no slouch either.

That is absolutely right. I have long thought that Santiago has great upside as a starter and that the Sox should give him that opportunity. When Danks comes back, I sure hope the Sox are open to having 4 lefties in the rotation because Santiago should keep starting. And Axelrod would make a decent long man in the bullpen.

What more else is there to say except this is the worst hitting Sox team since I became a fan in the early 50s.

Lip

Are these Sox really worse offensively than the late '60's Sox? Those were some of the worst offensive teams in the history of the franchise. But maybe they are. I have to admit that the Sox offense right now is really, really bad. Viciedo coming back will help but the Sox really have to address the problem of having Dunn and Flowers in the lineup hitting less than .200, particularly when Konerko is starting to slow down and De Aza and Keppinger are having off years offensively, so far.

doublem23
05-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Konerko's been having some back problems, I believe, so his time in the field is limited. I'm sure if we were playing by AL rules he'd have been the DH.

That said, it's not like Konerko's been lighting the world on fire, either. .225/.279/.378 isn't exactly a bat you need to find room for no matter what.

SCCWS
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Pitching is very important and the White Sox have assembled a good staff even though injuries have affected it so far. But they went into this season with a fragile offense and no back-up plan. Offensively the 40 man roster had a shaky starting 8 and very limited back-up options. Certainly Flowers was questionable and they back-ep him up w probably a worse offensive option. Since there are 3 outfield positions, the 4th outfielder is a vital roster spot---hence they chose Wise. Gillaspie has been a good option so far and probably is better than Beckham offensively. Then you go to the 40 man and guys like Greene, Tekotte, Wells are all questionable ML prospects.
they went into this season with very few roster spots where there was any competition for playing time.

oldgrouch
05-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Same here except I remember Luke Appling playing at the end of his career.

russ99
05-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Are these Sox really worse offensively than the late '60's Sox? Those were some of the worst offensive teams in the history of the franchise. But maybe they are. I have to admit that the Sox offense right now is really, really bad. Viciedo coming back will help but the Sox really have to address the problem of having Dunn and Flowers in the lineup hitting less than .200, particularly when Konerko is starting to slow down and De Aza and Keppinger are having off years offensively, so far.

Viciedo was hitting .229, and is still first on the team in K% (30+ AB), at 33.3% (Dunn is 33.1%), so he's not going to come in and save our offense, lets get real.

We need a few professional hitters on this team, and it seems that only Rios qualifies at this point, and that's when he feels like it.

What's worse is we're pretty much stuck with these guys, with Floyd out for the season +, Danks on rehab, Peavy nursing the back, Konerko's slump and Rios being our only relaible bat, who can we really deal for a good young hitter? Everyone would want Sale, and he's the guy we can least afford to deal. :(:

ohiosoxfan
05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Viciedo played in AAA last night in Columbus. . . went 0-6 in the doubleheader with 2 K, made a 2-base error in game 2 that cost Charlotte the 1-0 lead.

Danks pitched game 1 and was OK. . .a bit wild, didn't get the decision.

Procol Harum
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Wow, that's tough--I started watching in the early '60s and those teams' hitting was pathetic. That said, I think the mid-60s Sox teams were better hitters in the clutch and existed within a context of the dominant pitching in that era so didn't look as bad in comparison to their competition. You may be right.... :whiner:

DSpivack
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Here it is:

http://deadspin.com/white-sox-pitcher-hector-santiago-forgets-his-turn-to-b-496106663?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

cards press box
05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Viciedo was hitting .229, and is still first on the team in K% (30+ AB), at 33.3% (Dunn is 33.1%), so he's not going to come in and save our offense, lets get real.

Didn't say Viciedo would save the offense. I just said that he would help and I can't see how he wouldn't help this mess. And with the weather warming up, I think Viciedo will hit a little better.

What's worse is we're pretty much stuck with these guys, with Floyd out for the season +, Danks on rehab, Peavy nursing the back, Konerko's slump and Rios being our only relaible bat, who can we really deal for a good young hitter? Everyone would want Sale, and he's the guy we can least afford to deal. :(:

I don't see the Sox dealing Sale or any of their other young pitchers such as Reed, Quintana, Santiago or Danks. The Sox will ride this out, I imagine. And if things don't improve by mid-year, the Sox will try to improve in the draft, make some deadline deals moving veterans such as Konerko and make moves in the offseason. The Sox may also call up some youngsters such as Josh Phegley and Erik Johnson later in the year.

SCCWS
05-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Didn't say Viciedo would save the offense. I just said that he would help and I can't see how he wouldn't help this mess. And with the weather warming up, I think Viciedo will hit a little better.

So if Viciedo hits better with the weather warming up, I would assume so will our opponents.

Lip Man 1
05-08-2013, 12:17 PM
This and That:

Gonzo told me Santiago was in the clubhouse and just lost track of the game. Why someone on the bench didn't pick up on the fact that he wasn't in the dugout I have no idea.

The Sox teams of the mid 60's were well schooled in the fundamentals. Both Lopez and Stanky demanded it. If you couldn't execute a bunt, move a runner over or didn't get a guy home from 3rd with less than two outs you didn't play, period. In fact Stanky would fine guys for not doing those things (and to be fair he'd reward guys with things like a new pair of shoes for stolen bases things like that)

The Sox had the best pitching staffs in the league (maybe in baseball) from 63 through 67, and that was a large part of their success but they had to have some hitting. At least those guys got it done enough to average 92 wins a season in that time period.

These guys? No ****ing way.

Sox have now scored three runs or less in 52% of their games so far this year.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
05-08-2013, 12:37 PM
This and That:

Gonzo told me Santiago was in the clubhouse and just lost track of the game. Why someone on the bench didn't pick up on the fact that he wasn't in the dugout I have no idea.

The Sox teams of the mid 60's were well schooled in the fundamentals. Both Lopez and Stanky demanded it. If you couldn't execute a bunt, move a runner over or didn't get a guy home from 3rd with less than two outs you didn't play, period. In fact Stanky would fine guys for not doing those things (and to be fair he'd reward guys with things like a new pair of shoes for stolen bases things like that)

The Sox had the best pitching staffs in the league (maybe in baseball) from 63 through 67, and that was a large part of their success but they had to have some hitting. At least those guys got it done enough to average 92 wins a season in that time period.

These guys? No ****ing way.

Sox have now scored three runs or less in 52% of their games so far this year.

Lip
Which is one reason why I have no confidence in a rebuild actually working. The players just aren't brought up with good knowledge for how to play. Clayton Richard bashed the coaching after he left and he might have a point.

Lip Man 1
05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Sox Speed:

Never knew that...what did he say?

Lip

Paulwny
05-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Yes they are. The DH did not exist in the 60's. This team is pathetic when it comes to hitting.
At least there aren't any more threads about firing Walker.

JB98
05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Konerko's been having some back problems, I believe, so his time in the field is limited. I'm sure if we were playing by AL rules he'd have been the DH.

That said, it's not like Konerko's been lighting the world on fire, either. .225/.279/.378 isn't exactly a bat you need to find room for no matter what.

True, but even with those subpar numbers, Konerko is no worse than the fourth-best hitter in the everyday lineup.

For most clubs, a player with that slash line would be among the weaker hitters on the team. For this club, it's about the mean.

Sad days.

kittle42
05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
So if Viciedo hits better with the weather warming up, I would assume so will our opponents.

Nah, every season it's just the Sox who can't hit in April and then turn it around.

I hate that April refrain.

Hitmen77
05-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Nah, every season it's just the Sox who can't hit in April and then turn it around.

I hate that April refrain.

I suspect this year will be different.

amsteel
05-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Here it is:

http://deadspin.com/white-sox-pitcher-hector-santiago-forgets-his-turn-to-b-496106663?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The Sox' biggest impact on the national scene this season have been an introduction video and the pitcher forgetting he was up to bat.

#MakeAnImpact

enurb
05-08-2013, 03:31 PM
The only respectable thing Dunn can do is retire.

cards press box
05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I was surprised to learn that the 2012 Sox, like the 2013 Sox, started the season 13-17.

Maybe, this team can find its stride, too. I sure hope so.

LITTLE NELL
05-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Wow, that's tough--I started watching in the early '60s and those teams' hitting was pathetic. That said, I think the mid-60s Sox teams were better hitters in the clutch and existed within a context of the dominant pitching in that era so didn't look as bad in comparison to their competition. You may be right.... :whiner:

When you say early 60s, the 60 team hit .275 as a team, thats good but as the decade went on the hitting went downhill but the pitching was fantastic as we won over 90 games 3 years in a row in 63, 64 and 65. As for 67 and 68 the hitting was horrible but the pitchers dominated the game in those years and MLB to increase hitting lowered the height of the mound in 1969. Sox hitting picked up in 69 with Melton and May helping the offense, Carlos might have been ROY if he hadn't lost part of his thumb while on National Guard duty in August. They batted .225 in 1967 and .228 in 1968 and .247 in 69. Because it was a pitchers game in 67 and 68 I will stand by my original statement that so far the 2013 White Sox are the worst hitting team since I started following them in 1953.

LITTLE NELL
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
I was surprised to learn that the 2012 Sox, like the 2013 Sox, started the season 13-17.

Maybe, this team can find its stride, too. I sure hope so.

The 2010 season also had a bad start ( 8 games under .500 on May 20th) but got hot as a pistol in June and July and was 14 games over by August. I don't think that's going to happen this year.

SoxSpeed22
05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Sox Speed:

Never knew that...what did he say?

Liphttp://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/columns/story?id=5469766 (from 2010)
It wasn't exactly bashing the coaches directly, it had more to do with praising the Padre coaches for teaching him things he never learned when he was with the White Sox.
While perusing older threads (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2514447#post2514447), questions need to be asked.

Tragg
05-09-2013, 12:19 AM
We aren't going to get a ML ready young hitter. We are going to get prospects. And I'd prefer younger ones, as when we get AAA players for our players, we usually get he counterfeit types, on their way down.
But Peavy and Rios should yield a couple of quality prospects. Especially Peavy - he'd be a hell of a playoff starter for some team. Don't sell him cheap, by any means. And any of the 3 veteran relievers - Crain, Linstrom, Thornton (who has been effective for years) will bring something back, especially if we hold out and really bargain and negotiate. No giveaways to "friendly" teams anymore.

The emergence of Santiago as a legitimate ML starter, pitching top 1/2 of the rotation quality, really helps our pitching depth.