PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-6 Jordan delivers in the clutch; SOX 2 KC 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Nice job by Danks the Younger.

thomas35forever
05-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Anyone over the shock yet?

Risk
05-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Anyone over the shock yet?

Nope.

Risk

JB98
I like the way Addison Reed bounced back from a poor game yesterday. He came out throwing strikes against the top of the KC order. Walks got him in trouble yesterday. He did not repeat his mistake.

Helluva job by Sale. He looked terrible the first two innings, then recovered to get the club into the eighth inning with a chance to win. He would win 20 if he were on a good team. He might still win 15 for this struggling bunch.

vinny
Guess we'll have to save venting our spleens for another day.

Nah....

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Too bad Sale didn't get the win, but at least he and we didn't get a loss.

Irishsox1
05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Pinch hitting Danks for Dunn was long, long, long overdue.

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I like the way Addison Reed bounced back from a poor game yesterday. He came out throwing strikes against the top of the KC order. Walks got him in trouble yesterday. He did not repeat his mistake.

Helluva job by Sale. He looked terrible the first two innings, then recovered to get the club into the eighth inning with a chance to win. He would win 20 if he were on a good team. He might still win 15 for this struggling bunch.

Evidence of mental toughness by Reed?

In any case, I like it.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Too bad Sale didn't get the win, but at least he and we didn't get a loss.

There's something sad about that statement isn't there? Tells you what kind of team this is...if only they had some hitting.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Things still look bleak, but all it would take to start winning some more games is the defense and hitting to progress to the mean.

SoxSpeed22
05-06-2013, 05:33 PM
At least Jordan redeemed himself in this game. The baserunning was laughable (understatement). The bullpen was terrific today and they will usually give us a chance.

voodoochile
05-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Ha! I completely forgot this game was on and remembered just 15 minutes go so I got to tune in for the final few outs of the 9th. Nice to see Reed redeem himself against Butler.

Sounds like all I missed was 3 hours of beating my head against the wall followed by 45 minutes of good times. Since I got the final 5 minutes of those good times I think I came out fine...:tongue:

:soxwin:

billyvsox
05-06-2013, 05:36 PM
No doubt, I have been as negative about this team as any, but there are actually some positives today.

....the team didn't totally give up after the blown HR call like I did
....Alexei picked up Paulie after the GIDPK with a big hit
....Danks redeemed himself with the big GWHR
....Reed bounced right back against the heart of the lineup with a clutch save

Now about DWise base running blunders x 2. It really makes no sense to me to have him playing CF over Danks. We know what Wise can do (or not do). Why not see what Danks can do with regular playing time.

It would also be nice to have a right handed OF to spell DeAza, Danks, and Wise against lefties

LITTLE NELL
05-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Bright side; nice comeback win and 3-3 on the trip against 2 tough teams.
Dark side; hitting still bad, Wise is one of our best hitters right now at .282.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2013, 05:39 PM
For the first time since probably the first week the Sox are now over the Mendoza line regarding RISP

36-177 (.203)

Pennant here we come???

Billyv:

I agree Wise is a journeyman (if that) who lately has brought nothing to the table. Stupid, stupid baseball.

Lip

JB98
05-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Pinch hitting Danks for Dunn was long, long, long overdue.

That wasn't what happened.

Danks pinch ran for Dunn in the ninth and actually ran the Sox right out of the inning.

The HR was a redeemer for Jordan, who has two career HRs, both game-winners.

JB98
05-06-2013, 05:41 PM

In any case, I like it.

More than anything, it's evidence of maturity. Reed has a little more experience in his role now. A relief pitcher has to learn how to flush bad outings and bounce back the next day. He retired three tough hitters, too.

nsolo
05-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Ha! I completely forgot this game was on and remembered just 15 minutes go so I got to tune in for the final few outs of the 9th. Nice to see Reed redeem himself against Butler.

Sounds like all I missed was 3 hours of beating my head against the wall followed by 45 minutes of good times. Since I got the final 5 minutes of those good times I think I came out fine...:tongue:

Same here. When I did remember, I turned on the tv and Rios was on 1st. When he was caught stealing, I almost turned the set off. But with young Danks batting for Dunn, I to decided wait. Serendipity baby!!!!

In the bottom of the inning, considering Reed's performance yesterday, one couldn't have pounded a toothpick up my rear with a nine pound sledgehammer! But, great job.

cards press box
05-06-2013, 05:49 PM

In any case, I like it.

I do, too. BTW, I am listening to the K.C. postgame show and the fans are upset with Ned Yost bringing in Greg Holland to close the game. The host doesn't see a problem with the move and I agree. The Sox just got to Holland (finally) and, boy, did they ever need that win!

:winner

vinny
05-06-2013, 06:21 PM
No doubt, I have been as negative about this team as any, but there are actually some positives today.

Now about DWise base running blunders x 2. It really makes no sense to me to have him playing CF over Danks. We know what Wise can do (or not do). Why not see what Danks can do with regular playing time.

It would also be nice to have a right handed OF to spell DeAza, Danks, and Wise against lefties
Farmio said during the game that Danks had banged into a wall in his last outing. That may explain him not getting any playing time of late, but maybe not...

JB98
05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Farmio said during the game that Danks had banged into a wall in his last outing. That may explain him not getting any playing time of late, but maybe not...

Farmio is correct. Danks has been nursing a sore knee.

Soxman219
05-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Nice to be on the win column, I was surprised when Danks hit that homer!

Golden Sox
05-06-2013, 06:32 PM
On April 18 I posted a question, what if Jordan Danks is put into the lineup and starts to hit, do we finally bench Adam Done? Was anybody upset to see Danks batting instead of Done in the 10th inning? I not only feel that Done is the worse all around White Sox player in my lifetime, I firmly believe he is the worse cleanup hitter in modern major league history. He had more success in the National League than here. I don't know why he was more successful elsewhere than here. The fact is, he's been a bust here. I never felt and I still don't think this is going to turn out well for the White Sox with Done. All I know is it's going to be tough to swallow his contract, but I learned a long time ago that if something isn't working out, the sooner you make a change, the better off you're going to be.

Falstaff
05-06-2013, 06:56 PM

Agreed. I'd like to see the W/L record for when Jordan Danks made an appearance last year and this year. I remember one time last year he had a walk off game winner ( I think it was HR ) and the next day was back at AAA. I think this kid can play, let him. Reminds me of Bill Sharp but better.

TDog
05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
At least Jordan redeemed himself in this game. The baserunning was laughable (understatement). The bullpen was terrific today and they will usually give us a chance.

Offensive frustration can put a team in a position where it will make mistakes trying to do too much, especially if you're playing with the mindset that you're playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Bad baserunning might be why the White Sox didn't go to the World Series in 1983 in that brutal Britt Burns ALCS loss to end the season, so I guess bad baserunning is a White Sox tradition. If Danks had kept coming to the plate once he saw he was too far off third to get back with the ball on the infield, he may have forced a mistake, bad baserunning or not. As it was, he gave the defense a pause to regroup. A runner with a run-scoring mindset of Lance Johnson might have come around to try to score knowing the ball didn't get past the infielders to pressure the defense. When Sammy Sosa was playing for the Sox, he won a game in the bottom of the ninth scoring from second on a ground ball fielded cleanly by the Angels first baseman.

But I half-expected Danks to hit a home run after Rios was caught stealing. Such pitchers in such situations often ease up after a runner is thrown out on the bases. Danks only had one career homer coming into the game, but it was a bottom-of-the-ninth game-ender against the A's last summer, just a few days before he was sent down to make room for Wise, I believe.

As for the bullpen, the Sox would have a winning record this year if the bullpen pitched as well as it did most of the weekend, the exception being the Sunday ninth by Reed. Maybe if the Sox didn't play in so many close games, the bullpen would have a better success rate. In these last six road games in the DFW Metroplex and Kansas City, the bullpen took two losses., the first letting a game get away after Wise tied the game with a homer and the first Reed blown save. The bullpen played a big role in ever loss from the previous homestand. And, yet, it looks like an excellent bullpen and feels like it should be doing much better. Today's save by Reed was the best he has looked on the roadtrip, which is expecially good to see.

The Sox cold have been swept in this series, especially if KC hadn't gone to the closer in the ninth. Maybe Shields was tiring, but he didn't look it. Perhaps if Guthrie had come out in Saturday's ninth, the Sox would have been one Sunday strike away from a sweep. To come out of these six games with a split is a bit frustrating. And they head to New York to face a team that has been just as inconsistent as they have been, opening against a pitcher who has tough against teams with clicking offenses.

GlassSox
05-06-2013, 06:58 PM
That wasn't what happened.

Danks pinch ran for Dunn in the ninth and actually ran the Sox right out of the inning.

The HR was a redeemer for Jordan, who has two career HRs, both game-winners.

:nod:

blandman
05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm glad we won, but it's really not much to celebrate. We had to win this game. Almost a third of our wins comes from days Sale pitches. If we don't win this, we might not for the rest of the week.

After winning our first series of the season, we've not won a division series in four chances. Not a surprise we've spent the bulk of the year battling for last.

gobears1987
05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Danks > Dunn (but then again I think half the posters here are)

vinny
05-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Agreed. I'd like to see the W/L record for when Jordan Danks made an appearance last year and this year. I remember one time last year he had a walk off game winner ( I think it was HR ) and the next day was back at AAA. I think this kid can play, let him. Reminds me of Bill Sharp but better.

2012: Sox were 29-21 in games with Danks appearing; 9-6 as a starter and 20-15 as a late sub (defense or ph/pr). The walk-off HR was against Oakland (he played the whole game).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201208100.shtml

2013: Sox are 3-4 in games with Danks appearing; 1-3 as a starter and 2-1 as a late sub.

Brian26
05-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm glad we won, but it's really not much to celebrate.

My philosophy is this. If you're going to bitch when the Sox lose a game that they should have won (i.e., Sunday's game), then you have to be able to enjoy a close victory that they probably should have lost.

If you're bitching yesterday and today, then you need to find another hobby for the good of your health.

blandman
05-06-2013, 09:16 PM
My philosophy is this. If you're going to bitch when the Sox lose a game that they should have won (i.e., Sunday's game), then you have to be able to enjoy a close victory that they probably should have lost.

If you're bitching yesterday and today, then you need to find another hobby for the good of your health.

I meditate. :tongue:

We won the game, we lost the series. I wasn't around to comment earlier in the series, but no one should be celebrating just barely salvaging the one game we should have won handily.

Brian26
05-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I meditate. :tongue:

We won the game, we lost the series. I wasn't around to comment earlier in the series, but no one should be celebrating just barely salvaging the one game we should have won handily.

Who is celebrating?

blandman
05-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Who is celebrating?

Good point.

Railsplitter
05-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Yes!:bandance:

slavko
05-06-2013, 10:36 PM

Thinking the same. The kid's prolly staying awake waiting for the phone call from the front office.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Robin by the way 'excused' the base running errors after the game to Gonzo because he said Wise and Danks were being "aggresive."

Aggresive is one thing, aggresive and stupid is something else.

Oh well.

And Dunn said he is still "baffled" at his lack of production:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-chicago-white-sox-adam-dunn-struggles-20130506,0,2668070.story

Lip

Zakath
05-07-2013, 08:43 AM
We stopped the bleeding. Now we can hopefully get at least a split against the Mess.

Didn't get a chance to see it until this morning, but given the angle that Alexei's ball in the seventh came down, there's no way it didn't hit the foul pole.

Lip Man 1
05-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe I missed this originally but did anyone else see this comment from Dunn about why he had a bad 2011?

Apparently he said that his appendectomy forced him to bend over slightly at the plate, throwing his back out of whack which screwed up the season.

Lip

QueerGirrl
05-07-2013, 12:20 PM
And Dunn said he is still "baffled" at his lack of production:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-chicago-white-sox-adam-dunn-struggles-20130506,0,2668070.story

Lip

:rolleyes: Oh, shut up Adam!! You suck!! That's all, you just suck.

JB98
05-07-2013, 12:38 PM
I was noticing this morning De Aza has only two fewer strikeouts than Dunn. That's really pathetic for a leadoff hitter.

To those who want to see more of Danks, maybe it's De Aza's job that should be on the line.

I know everybody hates Wise because he took poor BA's job, but Dewayne has 11 hits in his last 19 ABs. His baserunning mistakes are inexcusable, but at least he's on base -- unlike many others on this club.

It's a sad state of affairs when Wise has the second highest batting average on the team (.262), and you feel like you need his hot bat in the lineup.

dickallen15
05-07-2013, 12:56 PM
I was noticing this morning De Aza has only two fewer strikeouts than Dunn. That's really pathetic for a leadoff hitter.

To those who want to see more of Danks, maybe it's De Aza's job that should be on the line.

I know everybody hates Wise because he took poor BA's job, but Dewayne has 11 hits in his last 19 ABs. His baserunning mistakes are inexcusable, but at least he's on base -- unlike many others on this club.

It's a sad state of affairs when Wise has the second highest batting average on the team (.262), and you feel like you need his hot bat in the lineup.
It's not sad to need anyone 11-19 in the line up. Why would it be sad to need a hot hitter in the line up? What does a name have anything to do with it? Whether it's your top player or the 25th guy on the roster makes zero difference.

JB98
05-07-2013, 01:20 PM
It's not sad to need anyone 11-19 in the line up. Why would it be sad to need a hot hitter in the line up? What does a name have anything to do with it? Whether it's your top player or the 25th guy on the roster makes zero difference.

When your 24th or 25th man is the second leading hitter on the team, it speaks poorly for everyone else. That's why it is sad.

dickallen15
05-07-2013, 02:02 PM
When your 24th or 25th man is the second leading hitter on the team, it speaks poorly for everyone else. That's why it is sad.
Not when he's 11 for 19.

TDog
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM

A manager's job is finding an avenue to win, and he has to look at what he believes a player is most likely to do when putting together a lineup. Wise has certainly more resembled that player lately than others. Fans don't like it, but depending on the pitcher the Sox are facing, if I am in Ventura's shoes putting together a lineup, I would go with Wise over some other guys right now. It must be frustrating waiting for De Aza and Keppinger to come around, and that's just the first two hitters in the lineup.

The fact that he looks like a player who could help a team is probably why he gets picked up even after a team lets him go because they believe they have better options. He has spurts where he plays very well. In the 2008 ALDS, he was probably the most dangerous White Sox hitter. That's what he has shown he is capable of doing. He also has stretches where his offense disappears, which is the Dewayne Wise fans tend to remember.

shingo10
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
A manager's job is finding an avenue to win, and he has to look at what he believes a player is most likely to do when putting together a lineup. Wise has certainly more resembled that player lately than others. Fans don't like it, but depending on the pitcher the Sox are facing, if I am in Ventura's shoes putting together a lineup, I would go with Wise over some other guys right now. It must be frustrating waiting for De Aza and Keppinger to come around, and that's just the first two hitters in the lineup.

The fact that he looks like a player who could help a team is probably why he gets picked up even after a team lets him go because they believe they have better options. He has spurts where he plays very well. In the 2008 ALDS, he was probably the most dangerous White Sox hitter. That's what he has shown he is capable of doing. He also has stretches where his offense disappears, which is the Dewayne Wise fans tend to remember.

All very good points.

jdm2662
05-07-2013, 03:19 PM

TDog already answered this in full. Ever since Wise has been here, he's always had some hot streaks. When he gets them, you have to ride it out. Of course, he doesn't do it on a consistent basis, hence it's why he never can be a full time starter. But, he is fine as a bench player/fill-in role.

But, I agree, it's a problem if he's the second best hitter on the team. It doesn't speak well for the rest of it...

Hitmen77
05-07-2013, 03:52 PM

De Aza just isn't that good. He's what some people like to call a "AAAA" player who had a nice little run of success for us for about a year or a year and a half.

He was another part of KW's "let's try to compete with spare parts" teams of recent years. Sometimes these kind of pick ups turn out to be successes....but even when they are successes, it is often short-lived and that player eventually comes back down to earth.