PDA

View Full Version : *Official* May The Fourth; Guthrie Jedi Mind Trix Stop Sox Bats; KC 2 SOX 0 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2013, 08:29 PM
The Sox offense is the "Phantom Menace" of the AL Central.

LITTLE NELL
05-04-2013, 08:33 PM
What a sad hitting display, we aren't last in hitting in the league by mistake.
Last in runs and walks also, maybe it wasn't Walker's fault but just that we have a bunch of knuckleheads when it comes to hitting.

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Sox hitters would tip their caps to Jar Jar Binks.

gobears1987
05-04-2013, 08:38 PM
So can we maybe conclude it wasn't all Greg Walker's fault after all?

Boondock Saint
05-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Five base runners in nine innings. I could vomit.

LITTLE NELL
05-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Five base runners in nine innings. I could vomit.

I already did.

aryzner
05-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Can't win if ya can't score.

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2013, 08:51 PM

He wasn't the root of the problem, but he was part of the problem.

Tragg
05-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Some of these guys just can't hit.
Too many of them are ridiculously impatient.
Wise simply cannot hit. He's 35 and has a career obp of .263 and the Sox actually signed this guy and people think he's good or at least passable. He isn't. He's a AAAA player.
Dunn is in a horrible slump.
Flowers - not so far.
Keppinger's a backup.
Gillespie seems to have a solid approach, but it's probably a matter of time before he picks up bad habits from this team.

The pitching has been fantastic.

Bucky F. Dent
05-04-2013, 09:17 PM
No offense. No defense. How did we ever win twelve games?

Lip Man 1
05-04-2013, 09:21 PM
"Catfish" was pitching, did you expect anything else? Seriously...

Look for the Royals to pitch this guy every single series against the Sox, even if they have to adjust their rotation.

He's as much in the Sox heads as Verlander.

Between the two they'll beat the Sox seven or eight times this season.

Sox batting averages, for the starters tonight after the game:

.250, .186, .255 (Rios has completely dropped off the face of the Earth...), .143, .238, .306 (Gillaspie), .283 (Ramirez), .192, .188

We're five weeks into the season and the Sox have four guys hitting under .200 in the starting lineup.

Not much you can say except unadulterated garbage.

6th time already this year the Sox have lost a game when allowing three runs or less.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-04-2013, 09:32 PM
"Catfish" Guthrie is now 3-0 with an ERA of 0.40 against the Sox in six starts dating back to last season.

Lip

SI1020
05-04-2013, 09:39 PM
"Catfish" Guthrie is now 3-0 with an ERA of 0.40 against the Sox in six starts dating back to last season.

Lip That is total dominance.

SI1020
05-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Wise simply cannot hit. He's 35 and has a career obp of .263 and the Sox actually signed this guy and people think he's good or at least passable. He isn't. He's a AAAA player.
Flowers - not so far.
Keppinger's a backup.
Gillespie seems to have a solid approach, but it's probably a matter of time before he picks up bad habits from this team.

The pitching has been fantastic. It has nothing to do with Greg Walker or any other hitting coach for that matter. This explains it for me. I would only add that Dunn's slump is in its third year.

mahagga73
05-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Flowers - not so far.
Keppinger's a backup.

It's hard to believe a player with that OPS has lasted as long as he did, but the Sox keep picking him up again and again keeping him in the league. It seems like they could do better . Yeah, the Buerhle catch in 08 was fantastic but come on.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Wise's catch was in 09 wasn't it?

Lip

tstrike2000
05-04-2013, 10:01 PM
The KC starting staff have all been Sith lords. Nothing to see here, and apparently also in KC.

shingo10
05-04-2013, 10:16 PM
I remember in 2004 when our 5th starter would go and I would get so frustrated that we were scoring 6, 7, 8 runs and still losing. At least I felt like we had a chance in those games.

This is like facing Santana again. It has got to change if we want to have a chance of staying around this year.

Brian26
05-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Awesome :thumbsup:

BainesHOF
05-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Time to make Ventura a player manager. We need his bat in the lineup.

Brian26
05-04-2013, 10:25 PM
There are so many unlikable guys on this team to choose from, but Alexei probably tops my list. I get frustrated with stupid, inexcusable errors almost as much as incompetence at the plate. That ball he took his eyes off tonight was hit almost directly to him at shortstop. That's just inexcusable.

On the flipside, how can you not like Axelrod? Dude puts up 120 pitches over eight innings and holds KC to two runs. You cannot ask him to do any more than that.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2013, 10:40 PM
The secret to his success?

This is what "Catfish" told Gonzo about how he deals with the Sox:

“When they’re aggressive, (Perez) seems to know. He calls something off-speed. It’s just that kind of flow to the game that we’ve been able to have.”

That's called pitching backwards... start off over aggressive, 'home run or nothing,' mentally weak hitters with garbage and let them get themselves out.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Brian:

Ramirez is basically just like most of the other guys on the team, mentally soft and he loses concentration and focus. Not going to change now, he's in his 30's.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Do we need a housecleaning?

nsolo
05-05-2013, 07:50 AM
The Force is NOT with us.

nsolo
05-05-2013, 07:53 AM

I remember when we thought it was Charlie Lau's fault. I suggest a team seance to summons his ghost.

Golden Sox
05-05-2013, 08:03 AM
It has been a shame that we have wasted some good pitching performances. DeAza and Keppinger have not produced at the top of the order which has really hurt the team. Keppinger started the season slowly and then was starting to hit, and then he got hurt. Since he's come back from his injury he's been struggling to hit. Hopefully the Tank and Beckham will come back and help the team offensively.

shingo10
05-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Just read on Chuck Garfien's twitter page that the White Sox have scored 57 runs this year, good for last in MLB. Not good.

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien

Lip Man 1
05-05-2013, 12:15 PM
The numbers across the board back it up:

.227 batting average
.196 RISP average
.280 OBP average

Put it all together and you get last place.

Lip

sox1970
05-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Just read on Chuck Garfien's twitter page that the White Sox have scored 57 runs this year, good for last in MLB. Not good.

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien

97 runs.

3.46 runs/game

Toronto is at 3.45.

Detroit and Cleveland score over 5 runs a game on average.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013.shtml

TaylorStSox
05-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Flowers - not so far.
Keppinger's a backup.

Dunn isn't in a slump. He's been hitting well over the last week. Flowers drove in all Sox runs in a winning effort last game. Yesterday sucked, but lets be honest with our spite.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Well if by "hitting well" you mean he's got his average up to .143 then you are right.

Flowers by the way is hitting all of .192.

Lip

TaylorStSox
05-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Well if by "hitting well" you mean he's got his average up to .143 then you are right.

Flowers by the way is hitting all of .192.

Lip

I said in the last few games. Lets not be dishonest for the sake of bitching. You'd never do that.

Wedema
05-05-2013, 12:33 PM
There are so many unlikable guys on this team to choose from, but Alexei probably tops my list. I get frustrated with stupid, inexcusable errors almost as much as incompetence at the plate. That ball he took his eyes off tonight was hit almost directly to him at shortstop. That's just inexcusable.

On the flipside, how can you not like Axelrod? Dude puts up 120 pitches over eight innings and holds KC to two runs. You cannot ask him to do any more than that.

Axelrod has done a good job all season. It is amazing considering he was pitching for the Windy City Thurderbolts a couple of years ago.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Taylor:

Not trying to be dishonest.

He may not be in a "slump" the last few games to you but considering his average stands at .143 for the past five weeks, playing nearly every day, you can "honestly" say that he's been in a "slump" all year long even with his recent "improvements" (which are all relative). That was my point.

Lip

blandman
I said in the last few games. Lets not be dishonest for the sake of bitching. You'd never do that.

And a few games isn't reason to think he isn't slumping either. These guys have been a few scattered hits over a few days and then 10 days with a hit for most of the season.

If it isn't slumping it's because that's what they are. Not because somehow they're better than they've played so far.

Brian26
Axelrod has done a good job all season. It is amazing considering he was pitching for the Windy City Thurderbolts a couple of years ago.

I did not realize until I saw the highlights this morning that Axelrod would have had a shutout through eight innings if Alex Rios would have been position about two feet to his left, and that is against one of the top offenses in the AL so far.

blandman
05-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I did not realize until I saw the highlights this morning that Axelrod would have had a shutout through eight innings if Alex Rios would have been position about two feet to his left, and that is against one of the top offenses in the AL so far.

I don't understand how he's doing it. But he's been a nice bright spot. I just worry that whatever he's doing to be effective is going to get spotted by a scout and then he returns to the void.

TaylorStSox
05-05-2013, 01:35 PM
And a few games isn't reason to think he isn't slumping either. These guys have been a few scattered hits over a few days and then 10 days with a hit for most of the season.

If it isn't slumping it's because that's what they are. Not because somehow they're better than they've played so far.

Scattered hits? Be honest, you're not watching the games, are you? He's been having good AB after good AB. I'm as frustrated with him as anybody, but lets be real here.

SI1020
05-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I said in the last few games. Lets not be dishonest for the sake of bitching. You'd never do that. After going on a recent "tear" where he was 6 for 18, he's 1 out of his last 10. He's at .143. This is year 3 of one of the worst free agent signings ever. Nothing to get excited about yet.