PDA

View Full Version : Waiver deals

soxtalker
08-01-2002, 08:05 AM
What exactly are the rules for waiver deals?

For example, what would have had to have happened (on both sides and for all players included) if the Howry deal were made today?

Depending on these rules, I suspect that the passing of the July 31 trade deadline may not have much impact on moving players with big salaries like Clayton, Valentine, or even Thomas.

baggio202
08-01-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
What exactly are the rules for waiver deals?

For example, what would have had to have happened (on both sides and for all players included) if the Howry deal were made today?

Depending on these rules, I suspect that the passing of the July 31 trade deadline may not have much impact on moving players with big salaries like Clayton, Valentine, or even Thomas.

my understanding..if two teams want to trade they have to have all the players clear waivers....so if we wanted to trade royce we put him out on waivers...waiver priority goes in reverse order...after 48 or 72 hours(not sure) if no one claims either player in the trade then they can be traded....if a team does claim a player the team that put him on waivers has the right to pull him back...if he doesnt the team that claimed him now owns him and his salary...im not sure how minor leaguers are effected by the waiver rule...if they have to clear waivers too or not...

thats why trading high salaries are pretty easy.. a GM doesnt want to take a chance and get stuck with a guys contract..especially in a possible strike year

feel free to correct my mistakes...im want to make sure i understand this process..but im pretty sure thats the basics of it...thanks

LongDistanceFan
08-01-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

...im not sure how minor leaguers are effected by the waiver rule...if they have to clear waivers too or not...

interesting question, but i think you are right in most of what you said.

Paulwny
08-01-2002, 09:20 AM
3rd post in this thread

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=13746&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

soxtalker
08-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

im not sure how minor leaguers are effected by the waiver rule...if they have to clear waivers too or not...

I think that is the critical question with respect to the trades the Sox would like to make. If minor leaguers don't have to clear waivers, we may not have seen more trades of Sox players simply because the GM's that KW was trying to trade with can do our deals later.

soxtalker
08-01-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
3rd post in this thread

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=13746&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

That's a good explanation, but it still leaves open the question of getting minor league players in return. If the deal involves other major league players, then it appears that they have to clear waivers. But it almost "sounds" like the minor leaguers aren't covered.

Paulwny
08-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker

That's a good explanation, but it still leaves open the question of getting minor league players in return. If the deal involves other major league players, then it appears that they have to clear waivers. But it almost "sounds" like the minor leaguers aren't covered.

I don't believe minor league players, in most cases, are part of the waiver rules or the union rules. The possible exemptions might be players like Parque who have had a certain amont of ml time.

Daver
08-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I don't believe minor league players, in most cases, are part of the waiver rules or the union rules. The possible exemptions might be players like Parque who have had a certain amont of ml time.

A player with no MLB service time that is NOT on the forty man roster does not have to clear waivers.