PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Universe?

capn12
08-01-2002, 05:29 AM
Fellow Sox fans, I am beginning to think that we are in an alternative universe, one wher Totally Inept GMs, and tinkering Managers are king. One where players that are steady, make modest wages(for baseball at least) are shipped out in a "rebuilding" move, after coming in only 5 years before in a similar "reTOOLing" move. One where said player has to question why he was even traded, because he was devoted to getting the team thru another bad year. One where an owner sits back and lets a 1st Time GM completely bungle virtually every move he makes, and then bungle even more in trying to correct the earlier bungles. One where "we can't afford" becomes an everyday excuse of why a team in the 3rd largest market cant compete consistently. One where a different lineup is fielded 6 out of 7 days, even after a 4 game winning streak. One where "any arm is a good arm to get" becomes new philosophy. One where MLBs worst starting pitcher is marched out every 5th day, regardless of how bad he is. One where NO ONE knows their role on the pitching staff, the bullpen specifically, not even the manager. One where someone can be "permanently benched", which is code for 3-5 days. One where there was a Top Notch Farm system not 3 years ago, and now its last in MLB. One where quite possibly the 2nd best second baseman in the league can be given away to another team, and other GMs just laugh. One where said 2nd baseman can't be resigned for a mere $1.7 mill raise ("we can't afford"). One where the owner refuses to sign any pitcher long-term, cause he feels its the right thing to do. One where more no MLB future players get more playing time than those who have potential.

Please, fellow Sox fans, please tell me that this is an alternate universe. Please tell me that it will all end soon, because I am not sure I can stand the Alternate Universe Chicago White Sox much longer.

idseer
08-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by capn12
Fellow Sox fans, I am beginning to think that we are in an alternative universe, one wher Totally Inept GMs, and tinkering Managers are king. One where players that are steady, make modest wages(for baseball at least) are shipped out in a "rebuilding" move, after coming in only 5 years before in a similar "reTOOLing" move. One where said player has to question why he was even traded, because he was devoted to getting the team thru another bad year. One where an owner sits back and lets a 1st Time GM completely bungle virtually every move he makes, and then bungle even more in trying to correct the earlier bungles. One where "we can't afford" becomes an everyday excuse of why a team in the 3rd largest market cant compete consistently. One where a different lineup is fielded 6 out of 7 days, even after a 4 game winning streak. One where "any arm is a good arm to get" becomes new philosophy. One where MLBs worst starting pitcher is marched out every 5th day, regardless of how bad he is. One where NO ONE knows their role on the pitching staff, the bullpen specifically, not even the manager. One where someone can be "permanently benched", which is code for 3-5 days. One where there was a Top Notch Farm system not 3 years ago, and now its last in MLB. One where quite possibly the 2nd best second baseman in the league can be given away to another team, and other GMs just laugh. One where said 2nd baseman can't be resigned for a mere $1.7 mill raise ("we can't afford"). One where the owner refuses to sign any pitcher long-term, cause he feels its the right thing to do. One where more no MLB future players get more playing time than those who have potential.

Please, fellow Sox fans, please tell me that this is an alternate universe. Please tell me that it will all end soon, because I am not sure I can stand the Alternate Universe Chicago White Sox much longer.

let me put your mind at ease. from your perspective, you can't be in an alternate universe. wherever you are IS the universe you're in. any universe you're NOT in would be the alternate universe. now you COULD be IN a different universe from me, which would put you in an alternate universe from ME, but then, i don't think we could actually communicate via this board ... unless it was somehow a conduit BETWEEN universes. but i doubt this as the cost to george would be prohibitive.
so, summing up, i feel confidant you're in the same universe you've always been in.

it's just that the business of baseball has gone to hell and who knows when it will return in a more sane state?

Chisox353014
08-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Goodbye. Come join me in the Bizarro universe, where Kenny Williams is a shrewd wheeler-dealer, Jerry Reinsdorf spends himself into the poorhouse building a World Series champion, and Jerry Manuel is a master strategist and team leader. It's great here. Frank Thomas is on the top step of the dugout leading the cheers, Royce Clayton is batting .320, the unflappable Todd Ritchie is 14-5 with a 2.00 ERA, Carlos Lee is one of the game's great young stars, and Keith Foulke is 40-40 in save opportunities. The sportswriters are great; will they ever get tired of writing about our consecutive sellout streak? I wonder. Did I mention that all WSI posters are dating supermodels (or Patrick Swayze for the ladies)? Ahhh what a wonderful world... Hello.

*alarm clock rings, realization that capn12's universe is the real one sinks in*

:?:

:(:

:whiner: