PDA

View Full Version : Peavy scratched tonight (back spasms)

Harry Potter
05-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin (‏@scottmerkin)
Peavy out tonight with back spasms. Santiago getting the start

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien
White Sox announce that Jake Peavy has been scratched tonight with back spasms. Hector Santiago will start in his place.

chisoxjtrain
05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Just heard this on the score.

shingo10
05-02-2013, 02:05 PM
This is getting laughable in a sad sort of way. Injury after injury. Have to hold your breath a little bit anytime Jake has any sort of injury but at least they appear to be doing the smart thing with him.

With preparation I think Santiago can have a decent outing. Last time he was thrust into the game when Gavin got hurt and seemed a bit off.

amsteel
05-02-2013, 02:06 PM
This ship is sinking

At least back spasms aren't ligament or muscle damage. This might actually be a one time thing.

But if it's not, who fills Peavy's rotation spot?

palehosepub
05-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I am hoping it is unrealted to the major surgery he had on his back muscle...

Lip Man 1
05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Amazing isn't it. Typical White Sox luck. Players dropping like flies. This shouldn't be a long term issue but the way this season is going who the hell knows.

Lip

JB98
05-02-2013, 02:22 PM
So much for the preseason articles praising the White Sox for having a long track record of keeping their players healthy.

SephClone89
05-02-2013, 02:33 PM
So much for the preseason articles praising the White Sox for having a long track record of keeping their players healthy.

You know, one bad April doesn't disprove that.

kobo
05-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Seems like their luck is running out this season.

#1swisher
05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Dan Hayes
Jake Peavy has been scratched from tonight's start with back spasms. Hector Santiago will start instead.

Mark Gonzales
Santiago threw bullpen session Tuesday, curious to see how sharp he'll be tonight, weather permitting. current temp is 46

Boondock Saint
05-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Bummer. He's one of the few guys on the team I actually enjoy watching.

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2013, 02:49 PM
When it rains, it pours.
Not much going our way this year.

ChiSoxGal85
05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Crap...

doublem23
05-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Amazing isn't it. Typical White Sox luck. Players dropping like flies.

Where the hell have you been? The Sox have easily EASILY been the MLB's healthiest team this past decade.

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Where the hell have you been? The Sox have easily EASILY been the MLB's healthiest team this past decade.

Down though the years there has been some bad luck starting with Monty Stratton. Pitching hopeful Paul Edmonson killed in a car crash. Pete Ward never the same with a injured neck in a car crash. Carlos May losing part of his thumb with an accident with a mortor with the Marines. Bill Melton falling off a ladder and ruining his back. Crede and his back problems. I'm sure I missed a few but you are right as far as the last 10 years except for Peavy and Danks having lost some major playing time.

Noneck
05-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Down though the years there has been some bad luck starting with Monty Stratton. Pitching hopeful Paul Edmundson killed in a car crash. Pete Ward never the same with a injured neck in a car crash. Carlos May losing part of his thumb with an accident with a mortor with the Marines. Bill Melton falling off a ladder and ruining his back. Crede and his back problems. I'm sure I missed a few but you are right as far as the last 10 years except for Peavy and Danks having lost some major playing time.

Wilbur Wood if not for the shattered knee cap, he might have pitched till he was 50.

BigKlu59
05-02-2013, 04:11 PM
When it rains, it pours.
Not much going our way this year.

Yup, this is turning into an episode of MASH*.. No worries though.. The way this division shuffles, 4.5 back in early May is no biggie. 10 games out, Shine up the clubs, break out the fishing gear, and plan a summer of yard beautification on the homestead .Get this comedy of errors out of the system early. Rather see them have a chance to right the ship now, than see this implosion the last month of the season..

Hey, we're Sox fans. Its not as though we havent seen any more bizzare things happen to the team in the past. This is just another one of those, "I thought I saw everything, but I guess not".

Bottom line is 30 years ago they won UGLY... I thing 2013's motto is gonna be 'Winning Uglier" when all is said and done.

BK59

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Wilbur Wood if not for the shattered knee cap, he might have pitched till he was 50.

Good one Noneck, I knew I would miss a few.

Harry Chappas
05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
If this season starts to unravel, we'll need a healthy Jake Peavy as he's one of the few veterans that might bring back some decent prospects in a trade. Stints on the DL, missed starts, etc., will hurt his value.

kittle42
05-02-2013, 04:51 PM
If this season starts to unravel, we'll need a healthy Jake Peavy as he's one of the few veterans that might bring back some decent prospects in a trade. Stints on the DL, missed starts, etc., will hurt his value.

"This," as the kids say. The season is all about trading our good pieces and expiring contracts for value, if the Sox are indeed even capable of that.

Bobby Thigpen
05-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Wow. I thought I was pessimistic.

This place should be entertaining the rest of the season.

WLL1855
05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Wow. I thought I was pessimistic.

This place should be entertaining the rest of the season.

Stick around. The despair and anguish is just getting warmed up.

kittle42
05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Stick around. The despair and anguish is just getting warmed up.

I have zero despair or anguish, much like last year. I mean, it hurts to watch losses, but the team just doesn't have it, so really, my feeling is more indifference and tempered hope for the immediate future.

BainesHOF
05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I was really looking forward to seeing Peavy pitch to Pierzynski.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2013, 05:37 PM
While acknowledging the Sox have lost the fewest players to the DL in the last 10 years as I've mentioned before that doesn't mean they've been immune.

Remember 2001? (Six pitchers coming off surgery from 2000, not ready for the season or forced to work while not ready. The staff was basically done before the season started. Only 'good news' Buehrle was moved into the rotation in spring training because Manager Ghandi didn't have enough healthy arms.)

Remember 2004? (Thomas and Ordonez missed the back half of the season with serious injuries)

Remember 2007? (Not saying that team was going to be good, but it didn't help when they had position starters lost for lenghty appearances)

How about the stretch drive of 2010? (Seemingly every guy in the bullpen went down - Thornton, Putz, and I can't remember the other guys)

Last year they lost Danks, Floyd (twice), Humber...who else am I missing?

I realize the Sox overall have done better than other teams but because of the lack of depth in the system and the lack of a decent bench, when they get injuries they can't overcome them.

The Cardinals keep getting hammered by injuries yet somehow they keep winning divisions and getting to the playoffs.

The Yankees have seemingly half their guys on the DL, somehow they are 17-10. When those guys get back, watch out.

That's all I'm saying, so don't over react folks. Many of you have said the same thing about the Sox lack of depth. This is turning out to be one of those years (again).

Thank you.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Nell:

You missed some:

Sherm Lollar in 57 (broken hand) which Billy Pierce told me probably cost the Sox the pennant.

Dick Donovan's appendectimy (sorry about the spelling) when he was leading the league in wins and ERA probably cost the Sox the pennant in 55. They were in first place at the time in late July. He was lost for six weeks, came back and was ineffective.

Joe Cunningham's freak injury in Los Angeles (broken collarbone) with the Sox in first place in June 63. He missed over a month Tommy McCraw wasn't the answer. And Johnny Buzhardt, off to a 9-2 start with a mid 2's ERA lost for the last half of the year (shoulder issues). Those two probably cost the Sox a pennant in 63.

Bill Melton falling off his roof in the winter of 71 (herniated disc), he went on the DL for the season in late June 72. The A.L. home run champ wasn't around to hit behind Allen and May. Chuck Tanner told me if Melton is healthy the Sox win the division in 72 and Oakland's dynasty never happens.

Then you've got Dick's freak injury in Anaheim in June 73 although that was just one of 38 times the Sox used the DL. He was lost for the year. Coupled with the mass of injuries and G.M. Stu Holcolmb's stupidity (release guys who were playing out their contracts, not taking the Sox offer) that doomed the club after a brilliant first two months.

That's why I say "typical" White Sox luck.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Nell:

You missed some:

Sherm Lollar in 57 (broken hand) which Billy Pierce told me probably cost the Sox the pennant.

Dick Donovan's appendectimy (sorry about the spelling) when he was leading the league in wins and ERA probably cost the Sox the pennant in 55. They were in first place at the time in late July. He was lost for six weeks, came back and was ineffective.

Joe Cunningham's freak injury in Los Angeles (broken collarbone) with the Sox in first place in June 63. He missed over a month Tommy McCraw wasn't the answer. And Johnny Buzhardt, off to a 9-2 start with a mid 2's ERA lost for the last half of the year (shoulder issues). Those two probably cost the Sox a pennant in 63.
Bill Melton falling off his roof in the winter of 71 (herniated disc), he went on the DL for the season in late June 72. The A.L. home run champ wasn't around to hit behind Allen and May. Chuck Tanner told me if Melton is healthy the Sox win the division in 72 and Oakland's dynasty never happens.

Then you've got Dick's freak injury in Anaheim in June 73 although that was just one of 38 times the Sox used the DL. He was lost for the year. Coupled with the mass of injuries and G.M. Stu Holcolmb's stupidity (release guys who were playing out their contracts, not taking the Sox offer) that doomed the club after a brilliant first two months.

That's why I say "typical" White Sox luck.

Lip

I said I probably missed a few but I did have Melton on my list.

Brian26
05-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Down though the years there has been some bad luck starting with Monty Stratton. Pitching hopeful Paul Edmonson killed in a car crash. Pete Ward never the same with a injured neck in a car crash. Carlos May losing part of his thumb with an accident with a mortor with the Marines. Bill Melton falling off a ladder and ruining his back. Crede and his back problems. I'm sure I missed a few but you are right as far as the last 10 years except for Peavy and Danks having lost some major playing time.

Doub's point still holds true. Hell, there is 30 year gap in the examples you just mentioned between Melton falling (thought it was his roof) and Crede's back. The Sox have been a healthy franchise since Herm arrived.

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Doub's point still holds true. Hell, there is 30 year gap in the examples you just mentioned between Melton falling (thought it was his roof) and Crede's back. The Sox have been a healthy franchise since Herm arrived.

I agreed with Doub, but I also agreed with Lip that the franchise through the years has had some very bad luck with some pretty serious injuries. With Melton IIRC he fell off the ladder coming down from the roof.

EDIT: Here is the lowdown on the injury.... http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120612/sports/706129602/

slavko
05-02-2013, 08:25 PM
John Snyder, now forgotten, beat Pedro Martinez twice, hurt his arm, and fell off the face of the earth.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Brian:

Well it's a fact that Sox got hit with injuries that derailed seasons a few times just in the past few years (04, 07, 10, 12, this year)...that's not a reflection on Herm, Cooper or anybody else...probably just the law of averages kicking in.

It does however emphasize the point about the depth issues in the organization.

If in fact, the Sox are going to start losing guys more regularly simply because of chance (five guys on the DL right now for example...) that makes the issue even greater.

Lip

TDog
05-02-2013, 10:42 PM

And people forget to mention promising outfield prospect Herman Hill dying in a boating accident, pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews dying in another boating accident, superstar Lyman Bostock being shot to death on the streets of Gary, Indiana, after a game at old Comiskey, Bo Jackson diminishing his baseball career by insisting on playing football in the offseason, catcher Thurman Munson dying in a plane crash, former Rookie of the Year Ken Hubbs dying in a plane crash, and pitcher Darryl Kyle being found dead in a Chicago hotel room before a game, and those are just off the top of my head and don't include the stories about players injured after being dreaming they were being attacked by spiders or defrosting meat. Of course, none of those examples were playing for the White Sox.

Stuff happens. It happens to every team. It happens to other teams more often than it does to the White Sox. The traumatic injuries to Monty Stratton and Carlos May were decades apart, not part of a pattern for a cursed franchise. And the White Sox aren't the only franchise with a history of third basemen with back problems. The Yankees last year were so banged up that Dewayne Wise was starting for baseball's golden franchise before the Yankees traded for Ichiro Suzuki, and the Yankees aren't any healthier so far this year.

It's not going to bother me if Peavy can't start a game because of back spasms. It wasn't an arm injury. It might have been if he had pitched. Dizzy Dean said he hurt his arm after coming back too soon from being hit in the toe with a line drive, changing his motion to compensate.

And tonight Santiago was OK in replacing Peavy.

Frankly, I am surprised at the overreaction.

doublem23
05-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Frankly, I am surprised at the overreaction.

Because it's human nature to want to throw a big pity party for yourself all the time, I guess. Frankly, threads like this are embarrassing to the community, it's like nobody posting in this thread has been paying attention to anything for the last 15 seasons.

Frater Perdurabo
05-03-2013, 06:22 AM
TDog raises an interesting observation that confirms the essence of Lip's concern.

Last year, when injuries led the Yankees to start Wise in the OF, they managed to acquire Ichiro.

Not only were they willing to pick up the salary, but they also were willing to trade from their pool of prospects, which always seems to have a pipeline of talent.

Last year, when Danks went down, the Sox made an aggressive move to acquire Liriano. But the loss of Escobar hurts because we don't have a plethora of prospects in the pipeline.

Injuries happen. They happen to the Sox less than other teams. But the Sox don't have much good organizational depth to fill holes, or to trade to fill holes.

I get that the Yankees can spend more on their payroll. But why can't the Sox minor league system be more productive than it is?

doublem23
05-03-2013, 07:52 AM
TDog raises an interesting observation that confirms the essence of Lip's concern.

Last year, when injuries led the Yankees to start Wise in the OF, they managed to acquire Ichiro.

Not only were they willing to pick up the salary, but they also were willing to trade from their pool of prospects, which always seems to have a pipeline of talent.

Last year, when Danks went down, the Sox made an aggressive move to acquire Liriano. But the loss of Escobar hurts because we don't have a plethora of prospects in the pipeline.

Injuries happen. They happen to the Sox less than other teams. But the Sox don't have much good organizational depth to fill holes, or to trade to fill holes.

I get that the Yankees can spend more on their payroll. But why can't the Sox minor league system be more productive than it is?

Honestly, I don't think this post could be any less correct if you tried...

A. The Yankees do not have a "pipeline of talent." They've had one star player come out of their farm system in the last 15-20 years; Cano. Otherwise their track record of player development rivals the Sox's for mediocrity.

B. They "were able to" acquire Ichiro because the M's gave him away for nothing because Ichiro in 2012 and 2013 is a ****ing awful baseball player. Seriously, the two guys NYY gave up for him are 2 mid-20s pitchers who have thrown a combined (get ready for it) 6.2 innings in their MLB careers. ****, they've already released one.

C. The Sox made the exact same move last year, as well, acquiring Youkilis to fill their hole at 3B and traded away two garbage players to do it.

D. We all know why the Sox minor league system isn't productive, the team has never focused investing in the Draft or Latin American operations. It is what it is. I don't like it either but I don't need to be all "woe is me," about it every time every little thing goes wrong.

E. Don't bother comparing anyone else to the Yankees. They live on a different planet than us mortals. That's just the way it is.

Frater Perdurabo
05-03-2013, 08:50 AM
WSI: Where hyperbole and language-filtered profanity strengthen arguments.

Frater Perdurabo
05-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Sox fans hate to lose, and hate it more when obvious solutions, like investing in drafting, global scouting, and player development, are ignored.

doublem23
05-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Sox fans hate to lose, and hate it more when obvious solutions, like investing in drafting, global scouting, and player development, are ignored.

Sox fans also hate when people make **** up

Everybody knows the Sox haven't invested in their farm system for years and they'be paid for it now. These are, by the way, some of the same people who whined 10-15 years ago that the Sox were too reluctant to keep prospects instead of using them to make moves to bolster the Major League roster. So you can't win with them.

The Yankees acquired a 39-year-old, ****ty corner OF who has an OPS of about .700. They have a minor league system that has been just as bad as ours. It is what it is.

kittle42
05-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Sox fans also hate when people make **** up

Everybody knows the Sox haven't invested in their farm system for years and they'be paid for it now. These are, by the way, some of the same people who whined 10-15 years ago that the Sox were too reluctant to keep prospects instead of using them to make moves to bolster the Major League roster. So you can't win with them.

The Yankees acquired a 39-year-old, ****ty corner OF who has an OPS of about .700. They have a minor league system that has been just as bad as ours. It is what it is.

"+1" as the kids say.

SI1020
05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
IIRC correctly Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain all came out of the Yankees farm system. I realize not all are close to recent. 4 of the top 75 prospects according to MLB.com are in the Yankees farm system. I don't have time to look up all MLB players who were originally signed by the Yankees, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say their farm system has been say just a little more productive than ours.

SI1020
05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Stuff happens. It happens to every team. It happens to other teams more often than it does to the White Sox.
And tonight Santiago was OK in replacing Peavy.

Frankly, I am surprised at the overreaction. Is that true? Wouldn't it take a little bit of time and research to confirm or refute that? I have no idea myself. I only claim to be somewhat versed in the history of 4 out of 30 MLB teams. As for the overreaction, why be surprised. Like many others have noted the Sox are thin on replacement talent and a potential 85 win season can turn into a 65-70 win season when the injury bug bites hard. Sadly this has been true since I became a Sox fan. They just couldn't afford Donovan in 55, Lollar in 57, Melton in 72. On and on. That was when they had good teams to begin with. This year's version wasn't so hot from the get go.

doublem23
05-03-2013, 01:36 PM
IIRC correctly Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain all came out of the Yankees farm system. I realize not all are close to recent. 4 of the top 75 prospects according to MLB.com are in the Yankees farm system. I don't have time to look up all MLB players who were originally signed by the Yankees, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say their farm system has been say just a little more productive than ours.

Using Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Rivera to argue the Yankees have been good at developing players in 2013 is as silly as me saying the Sox are doing fine because they developed the Big Hurt, Ventura, McDowell, Alex Fernandez!!!

Yes, the Yankees have been a bit better than the Sox at developing their own in that they have 1 good player come out of their farm system in the past 20 years, but this idea that they have some kind of magic Talent Pipeline is silly. The Yankees don't build from within, for as long as I can remember they've won because money is no object to them. You don't have to have a good farm system when you're willing to absorb any deal or outbid anybody for even marginal player's services.

Also, they cheat.

DSpivack
05-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Using Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Rivera to argue the Yankees have been good at developing players in 2013 is as silly as me saying the Sox are doing fine because they developed the Big Hurt, Ventura, McDowell, Alex Fernandez!!!

Yes, the Yankees have been a bit better than the Sox at developing their own in that they have 1 good player come out of their farm system in the past 20 years, but this idea that they have some kind of magic Talent Pipeline is silly. The Yankees don't build from within, for as long as I can remember they've won because money is no object to them. You don't have to have a good farm system when you're willing to absorb any deal or outbid anybody for even marginal player's services.

Also, they cheat.

It's interesting to me that they won all those titles mostly built on homegrown talent; Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Pettite, Williams.

Over the years they haven't developed as much young talent apart from Cano, and while their payroll has meant that they have been able to contend year in and year out, they have one just one championship since that core aged and/or retired.

TDog
05-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Is that true? Wouldn't it take a little bit of time and research to confirm or refute that? I have no idea myself. I only claim to be somewhat versed in the history of 4 out of 30 MLB teams. As for the overreaction, why be surprised. Like many others have noted the Sox are thin on replacement talent and a potential 85 win season can turn into a 65-70 win season when the injury bug bites hard. Sadly this has been true since I became a Sox fan. They just couldn't afford Donovan in 55, Lollar in 57, Melton in 72. On and on. That was when they had good teams to begin with. This year's version wasn't so hot from the get go.

And the one season in the last three that the Giants didn't win the World Series they couldn't afford to lose Buster Posey.

If you are complaining about the White Sox sustaining an unusual high number of injuries and not being able to deal with losing so many players to injury, you simply aren't paying attention to the rest of major league baseball.

kittle42
05-03-2013, 03:12 PM
If you are complaining about the White Sox sustaining an unusual high number of injuries and not being able to deal with losing so many players to injury, you simply aren't paying attention to the rest of major league baseball.

As is the case with posters on many issues here. "The Sox do this and that and get screwed," etc., people say, without any comparison to the other 29 teams.

SI1020
05-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Also, they cheat. I don't think I did that. I stated " I realize not all are close to recent." I just think they've done a better job than the Sox in recent years, and have in the past had a more than productive farm system. Right now some so called experts say the Yanks farm system is one of the better ones in the AL. Yes I hate them too, and for a much longer period of time. They scarred my youth more than once.

SI1020
05-03-2013, 06:31 PM
And the one season in the last three that the Giants didn't win the World Series they couldn't afford to lose Buster Posey.

If you are complaining about the White Sox sustaining an unusual high number of injuries and not being able to deal with losing so many players to injury, you simply aren't paying attention to the rest of major league baseball. I believe I stated Is that true? Wouldn't it take a little bit of time and research to confirm or refute that? I have no idea myself.

As is the case with posters on many issues here. "The Sox do this and that and get screwed," etc., people say, without any comparison to the other 29 teams. See above response. I did state that in their history the Sox have usually had trouble with quality depth, so when a major contributor went down it hurt them. I stand by that. I never said the Sox were unluckier than other teams or that the league or any other force was conspiring against them. Seriously guys, have at my posts. At least read them before you do.

SI1020
05-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I found this list of rankings for the Yankees farm system in the last 10 years.

2004: 27th
2005: 24th
2006: 17th
2007: 4th
2008: 6th
2009: 13th
2010: 26th
2011: 4th
2012: 15th
2013: 11th

If I have time I'll try to get more info. It's obvious the Yanks haven't been as productive as they once were, but even with that they appear to be doing better than the Sox. In any system prospects are what they are. Prospects, most of whom will either fail or succeed marginally.

DSpivack
05-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I found this list of rankings for the Yankees farm system in the last 10 years.

2004: 27th
2005: 24th
2006: 17th
2007: 4th
2008: 6th
2009: 13th
2010: 26th
2011: 4th
2012: 15th
2013: 11th

If I have time I'll try to get more info. It's obvious the Yanks haven't been as productive as they once were, but even with that they appear to be doing better than the Sox. In any system prospects are what they are. Prospects, most of whom will either fail or succeed marginally.

I'd be more interested in seeing how many prospects the Yankees' farm system has successfully graduated and developed (and/or traded for talent) than in their offseason rankings, which are more arbitrary. For example, was it 2001 when the White Sox farm system was ranked #1? But, as I believe Frater said earlier in the thread, a half dozen or so pitchers ended up with torn labrums, and none of them had any long-term success; only the surprise Mark Buehrle comes to mind, besides outfielders Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee.

TDog
05-03-2013, 07:48 PM
I believe I stated Is that true? Wouldn't it take a little bit of time and research to confirm or refute that? I have no idea myself.

See above response. I did state that in their history the Sox have usually had trouble with quality depth, so when a major contributor went down it hurt them. I stand by that. I never said the Sox were unluckier than other teams or that the league or any other force was conspiring against them. Seriously guys, have at my posts. At least read them before you do.

I thought what I posted was self-evidently true, that annually most players disabled don't play for the White Sox. Others have posted in this thread and others how White Sox disabled-list use compares historically with other teams' disabled-list use. I didn't think it was necessary to make that point.

But it is easy for me to believe the White Sox haven't been injured as much as other teams have in recent history because I watch other teams that have bigger injury problems year after year. Complaining about injuries derailing seasons and some inherent dark cloud hanging over the franchise doesn't resonate with me in part because when their greatest franchise star was last injured for most of the season, the White Sox went on to win the World Series after leading the American League in wins. Some might still want to complain about Paul Edmonson, who had that one great game in his major league debut in 1969 (although it wasn't as impressive as the three-hit shutout Jerry Janeski threw against the A's the following April), but it really isn't relevant to 2013.

Most teams have problems with depth in 2013. That is why Dewayne Wise was the starting left fielder for baseball's most storied franchise for a time last summer. That is why a team one year removed and one year out from winning the World Series would employ Chris Stewart as its starting catcher. I haven't checked out the Yankees in a week, but it wouldn't surprise me if Chris Stewart is now the Yankees starting catcher.

If you don't pay attention to other teams or don't care about other teams you won't have noticed that they have injuries, and their complaining about injuries costing their team their successes are common and even a bit tiresome.

vinny
05-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Peavy's scratched for Monday now too. Back still giving him problems even after getting treatment.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/19904270-574/jake-peavy-to-miss-turn-on-monday-hector-santiago-or-chris-sale-might-get-nod.html

#1swisher
05-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Mark Gonzales
Peavy ready for Wednesday

SephClone89
05-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Mark Gonzales
Peavy ready for Wednesday

Phew. I'm going Friday and Saturday, I hope Sale is going on Saturday, even with the off-day Thursday.