PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-1 Mayday? Not today! SOX 5 TEX 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Nice crisp win

thomas35forever
05-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Didn't like it in the early innings, but nice to see everyone settled down. I'll take any win in Texas I can get.

Railsplitter
05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Walker's boys win in Texas, :bandance:

tstrike2000
05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Feels like the first game without an error since 2012.

Railsplitter
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Looks like I wa a tad tardy starting a thread. :redface:

YEE HAH! :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2013, 10:09 PM
We've always got a shot as long as we get good starting pitching.

Good defense can make pitching even better.

Mohoney
05-01-2013, 10:10 PM
As of right now, I would tab Addison Reed to be our rep for the All Star Game.

thomas35forever
05-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Peavy's a good candidate too.

Brian26
05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
With nine saves in 11 victories through 26 games, Reed is on pace for 56 saves, one short of the MLB record. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Win have been few and far between since April 9...they are always enjoyable. Seems the Sox play Texas well the past few years.

By the way the RISP stat is now up to .190 (30-155) for the season.

Lip

Tragg
05-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Excellent pitching. Our savior.

shingo10
05-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Getting out of the 2nd inning relatively unscathed was one of the best feelings I've had watching all year. We caught a few breaks and took advantage of them.

Great to win a game that was tight the whole way through.

And hell since its a new month I might as well say that this is going to be the start of something big! Maybe a few road wins will boost our confidence and everything will fall into place. Gotta start somewhere.

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2013, 10:39 PM
By the way the RISP stat is now up to .190 (30-155) for the season.

Would this be "progression to the mean?"

asindc
05-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Nice win. :bandance: They looked like professionals tonight.

lpneck
05-01-2013, 11:06 PM
With nine saves in 11 victories through 26 games, Reed is on pace for 56 saves, one short of the MLB record. :tongue:

K-Rod broke Thigpen's record a few years ago- it's 62 now.

DickAllen72
05-01-2013, 11:08 PM
I would tab him as a classless punk for throwing at AJ.

amsteel
05-01-2013, 11:17 PM
If there was a game that favored the Sox this series, it was this one. Hopefully Jake can steal the series tomorrow.

FielderJones
05-01-2013, 11:27 PM

You're sure that was intentional? How? One more out to get the win, why add a baserunner?

amsteel
05-01-2013, 11:29 PM
You're sure that was intentional? How? One more out to get the win, why add a baserunner?

Yeah, if our closer is intentionally putting the tying run in the on deck circle I strongly question his baseball acumen.

I'm thinking its more AJ leans into it and proceeds to Pierzynski it up.

FielderJones
05-01-2013, 11:33 PM
I'm thinking its more AJ leans into it and proceeds to Pierzynski it up.

They showed Paulie talking into his mitt to AJ about it. I think you're right about the lean. Hit him right on the elbow pad.

DickAllen72
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Stone and Hawk sure thought it was intentional. There are some meathead fans on another board who thought it was intentional and are happy about it. If it was intentional, I think it stinks.

kittle42
05-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Oh, brother.

kittle42
05-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Stone and Hawk sure thought it was intentional. There are some meathead fans on another board who thought it was intentional and are happy about it. If it was intentional, I think it stinks.

So you're listening to meatheads now?

shingo10
05-01-2013, 11:53 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/19840636-419/aj-pierzynski-takes-issue-with-ninth-inning-plunking.html

DickAllen72
05-01-2013, 11:58 PM
So you're listening to meatheads now?
Steve Stone is a meathead? I don't think so.

JB98
05-02-2013, 01:31 AM
I have no idea if it was intentional. If it was, it was stupid. It certainly was an interesting coincidence.

wassagstdu
05-02-2013, 06:07 AM
I doubt that it was intentional, just because of the game situation and the way the Sox' season is developing. I think AJ was expressing his anger at the Sox in general. They made a big mistake letting him go, and AJ is paying for it -- though not as much as the Sox. I'm with AJ, and I find myself hoping he beats them tonight and becomes a regular Sox-killer.

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2013, 06:08 AM
I have no idea if it was intentional. If it was, it was stupid. It certainly was an interesting coincidence.

I don't think it was intentional.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional. The Sox and Rangers have a long history of bad blood going back at least two decades.

I have too much respect for AJ to speak ill of him, but it sure looked like he didn't make much effort to avoid being hit on his elbow armor.

asindc
05-02-2013, 06:43 AM
It wasn't intentional. AJ actually had to move his arm into the pitch to get hit. Both Hawk and Stoney got it wrong.

cards press box
05-02-2013, 06:48 AM

I don't see it as intentional. The Sox were trying to stop a three game losing streak against a top team on the road and they are going to put a runner on base in the 9th inning of a close game? I just don't see it.

But, in any event, the Sox did play well and take advantage of Soto's baserunning miscue in the 2nd inning that cost the Rangers at least one run.

:winner

Over By There
05-02-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm with AJ, and I find myself hoping he beats them tonight and becomes a regular Sox-killer.

I'll always appreciate AJ, but I don't understand how anyone could make a statement like this. The self-loathing among some around here is really getting insufferable.

amsteel
05-02-2013, 07:48 AM
AJ is paying for it

Isn't AJ in fact getting paid more by not playing for the Sox?

aryzner
05-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Isn't AJ in fact getting paid more by not playing for the Sox?

I didn't get that statement as well. AJ must be really "paying for it" by being paid $7.5M to play for a current 1st place team that is considered a World Series contender.

Wait, what?

doublem23
05-02-2013, 08:05 AM
I don't know if it was intentional or not, but hilarious to watch AJ be classic AJ about it. I can see why everyone hates his ****ing guts.

Walk to first like a man, crybaby.

harwar
05-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Felt so good to not only Win, but look good in doing so .. also, you never know what goes on behind the scenes between players, and if Reed has a problem with AJ and drilled him, then he should face a fine in the k court .. ended up bringing the tying run to the plate .. if it was called by someone then that's even worse .. However; I think that there's no question that AJ leaned into that pitch and then played the drama-queen roll, as i've seen him do many times .. that being said, i've always liked him..

doublem23
05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Watch the video, especially the camera angle from behind the plate that starts at 28 seconds and it's pretty clear that AJ just stuck his arm out into that ball. Smart move on his part, his team needed baserunners, why not take a free one. Even the Rangers announcers were laughing at how blatantly he just stuck his padded elbow out there to take that ball off his arm.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130502&content_id=46398306&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

I would think you'd have to be pretty out of your mind to think Reed was trying to intentionally hit him by throwing to a spot that he could have only anticipated his arm would be at. That's not how you pitch to someone you want to hit.

Jerko
05-02-2013, 08:40 AM
As "baseball smart" as AJ is, he knows nobody is throwing at him with 2 outs. AJ being AJ. And it worked; now there's "bulletin board" material for tonight.

Procol Harum
05-02-2013, 09:10 AM

Not to be Debbie Downer--but given some of this team's problems we have to keep our fingers crossed that the opportunity for that many saves would actually be there...

kittle42
05-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Steve Stone is a meathead? I don't think so.

You said: "There are some meathead fans on another board who thought it was intentional"

kittle42
05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm with AJ, and I find myself hoping he beats them tonight and becomes a regular Sox-killer.

Can I buy you a Rangers hat?

GMAB.

GoSox2K3
05-02-2013, 09:37 AM
I doubt that it was intentional, just because of the game situation and the way the Sox' season is developing. I think AJ was expressing his anger at the Sox in general. They made a big mistake letting him go, and AJ is paying for it -- though not as much as the Sox. I'm with AJ, and I find myself hoping he beats them tonight and becomes a regular Sox-killer.

:thud:

asindc
05-02-2013, 10:24 AM

**** AJ. Viva Tyler and Hector!!

Foulke You
05-02-2013, 10:57 AM
In other non-AJ news, Conor Gillaspie is good at baseball. .323 avg and an OPS of .913. He has a great swing and a great approach up there and his defense has been better than advertised. Also, if he maintains this pace, he will finish with 18HRs. It looks like Gillaspie was just a really good prospect that had his path to the majors blocked by Pablo Sandoval and Brandon Belt.

hawkjt
05-02-2013, 11:19 AM
In other non-AJ news, Conor Gillaspie is good at baseball. .323 avg and an OPS of .913. He has a great swing and a great approach up there and his defense has been better than advertised. Also, if he maintains this pace, he will finish with 18HRs. It looks like Gillaspie was just a really good prospect that had his path to the majors blocked by Pablo Sandoval and Brandon Belt.

This is what I am seeing. Hope he keeps it up,and takes command of 3rd base going forward.
Silver linings....gotta look hard to see them but Conor is one.

As for AJ...he was trying to get on base...smart. Nothing else there.
I sense that Hawk is still upset that AJ did not get re-signed.

Foulke You
05-02-2013, 11:34 AM
This is what I am seeing. Hope he keeps it up,and takes command of 3rd base going forward.
3B is such a tough position to fill these days via free agency and Gillaspie is young, cheap, and hits left handed to boot. He is definitely one of the few bright spots of 2013 so far. As much as the organization gets heat for various things, they deserve credit for scouting this guy out and getting the Giants to give him up for only a fringe pitching prospect.

TomBradley72
05-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Lots of animosity between AJ and his teammates last year- I've heard from a number of people inside the WSox that that was one of the key drivers to not re-signing him.

I recall several on field "disagreements" between AJ & Peavy, Konerko, etc.. I think it's very telling that AJ could even think that the WSox would throw at him- unless it's all bluster/showmanship. He sure wasn't moving away from the pitch when he got hit.

The interaction between him and PK was interesting- looked like Paulie was laughing, then talking with his glove covering his face.

AJ- the "Bill Laimbeer" of MLB. :cool:

kufram
05-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I haven't seen the game yet... watching it tonight. The more games he plays the better Gillespie looks like a keeper to me.

AJ? He's an idiot. A very smart idiot and the kind of idiot you love when he's on your team. I wish more guys played like AJ, but when he's on someone else's team he's just an idiot..... in the nicest possible sense.

doublem23
05-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I agree, and I think this is going to be the path the Sox have to take in the near future to turn this ship somewhat around. Obviously they're bad at developing their own prospects, but they have a knack for identifying guys who have busted out but need a change of scenery. Those are the kinds of guys that can usually be had for a bullpen arm or two (about the only thing we can develop in house).

Gillaspie just looks good at the plate. I didn't watch last night's game, but that double he ripped off Darvish in the 1st inning was just good, solid hitting.

At 25 years old, hopefully he is the answer to 3B for several years.

Carolina Kenny
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I agree, and I think this is going to be the path the Sox have to take in the near future to turn this ship somewhat around. Obviously they're bad at developing their own prospects, but they have a knack for identifying guys who have busted out but need a change of scenery. Those are the kinds of guys that can usually be had for a bullpen arm or two (about the only thing we can develop in house).

Gillaspie just looks good at the plate. I didn't watch last night's game, but that double he ripped off Darvish in the 1st inning was just good, solid hitting.

At 25 years old, hopefully he is the answer to 3B for several years.

Gillaspie is already past the Kevin Bell, Chris Snopeck over-hyped level.
It seems the Hawk is being cautious about hyping him. He doesn't even have a nickname yet!

aryzner
05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Gillaspie has had a nice little start to the season. Hopefully he continues and is able to adjust once pitchers start to adjust to him. We all certainly like what we see so far.

palehosepub
05-02-2013, 02:22 PM
After watching the video a few times I have changed my opinion and believe AJ moved is arm in on an inside pitch to get on base. If you watch Reed's reaction it looks like he was ticked that it hit him - not blatantly obvious but a wave of the glove...

wassagstdu
05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't know if it was intentional or not, but hilarious to watch AJ be classic AJ about it. I can see why everyone hates his ****ing guts.

Walk to first like a man, crybaby.

What I find "disappointing" is how quickly Sox fans turn on a former favorite, especially when it is done to support a Sox team that in no way deserves our support. I know, it's the laundry, but they have messed that up too.

AJ found a home in Chicago, contributed quite a lot to the team and the city, and wanted to retire with the Sox. Instead he gets a crappy one-year contract with no future so the Sox could give his spot to someone who had never shown any indication he could fill it and clearly can't. Go AJ!

doublem23
05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
What I find "disappointing" is how quickly Sox fans turn on a former favorite, especially when it is done to support a Sox team that in no way deserves our support. I know, it's the laundry, but they have messed that up too.

AJ found a home in Chicago, contributed quite a lot to the team and the city, and wanted to retire with the Sox. Instead he gets a crappy one-year contract with no future so the Sox could give his spot to someone who had never shown any indication he could fill it and clearly can't. Go AJ!

Oh, give me a break. I don't need the Sox to have to "earn" or "deserve" my devotion. I'm a White Sox fan, as I have for years and always will be. Just because I understand the Sox's business decision (because, this is a business, sorry the reserve clause isn't coming back) to not offer a contract to a 36-year-old catcher coming off a career year while in the middle of a significant roster turnover. After almost a decade of forgetting why I hated him in the first place, I found it funny he needed only about 10 seconds to remind us all... Throw your arm out in a pitch and throw your bat and whine all the way down to first base? It's all for entertainment, anyways.

I'll still give AJ an applause when the Rangers come to town. I'll cheer for him when he comes back to the park one day to throw out a first pitch. But he's simply on another team now, so the Sox take priority.

The only guy I still haven't forgiven is Ozzie. **** that piece of ****.

asindc
05-02-2013, 04:40 PM

It's this simple: AJ plays for another team, one that was trying to beat the Sox last night, which means he was trying to beat the Sox. In case I wasn't emphatic enough before, for that reason AJ can kiss my ass for now. He is welcome back as a favorite son... once he stops trying to beat the Sox. Until then, he can look here for support: www.rangerfans.com.

kittle42
05-02-2013, 04:49 PM
What I find "disappointing" is how quickly Sox fans turn on a former favorite, especially when it is done to support a Sox team that in no way deserves our support.

I have supported many Sox teams over 35 years that do not deserve my support.

I have and will never root for an opposing player against the Sox solely because he was a beloved Sox player.

I do not agree with the "screw AJ" crowd here, but I also don't agree with your viewpoint on this. Middle ground is the best here. AJ can be both wrong and beloved.

And re: AJ, don't sound like a Facebook commenter. His services were not exactly in demand, the Sox knew they had a clunker of a team, and they decided to go the younger, cheap route. OK, so Flowers will prove they need another answer at catcher. Glad they did it this year rather than next.

Heff
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
I haven't seen the game yet... watching it tonight. The more games he plays the better Gillespie looks like a keeper to me.

AJ? He's an idiot. A very smart idiot and the kind of idiot you love when he's on your team. I wish more guys played like AJ, but when he's on someone else's team he's just an idiot..... in the nicest possible sense.

Ozzie: "If you play against him, you hate him. If you play with him, you hate him a little less."

I'll be there for the 1st game against Texas in August, sporting my AJ jersey. I'm not one for the "he's trying to beat us now, so screw him" stance... he was a huge part of what was maybe the greatest season we'll ever see - so I'll give him a "welcome home" standing O his first at bat.

DickAllen72
05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Ozzie: "If you play against him, you hate him. If you play with him, you hate him a little less."

Ozzie: (paraphrasing) "When you're gone Sox fans will piss on your statue."

Golden Sox
05-02-2013, 06:38 PM
1) AJ. Don Cooper once said: Whenever one of my pitchers is no longer on the team, I view him the same way I view my ex-wife. Thanks for the memories, but its time to move on.
2) They use to call Herbert Perry " The Milkman". Why not call Conor Gillaspie, "The Weatherman". He has said he wants to be a Meteorogist sometime in the future after his baseball career is over.

SephClone89
05-02-2013, 06:40 PM
1) AJ. Don Cooper once said: Whenever one of my pitchers is no longer on the team, I view him the same way I view my ex-wife. Thanks for the memories, but its time to move on.
2) They use to call Herbert Perry " The Milkman". Why not call Conor Gillaspie, "The Weatherman". He has said he wants to be a Meteorogist sometime in the future after his baseball career is over.

For some bizarre reason I really was not thinking about the White Sox when I saw this post, and somehow thought this was supposed to be a Mad Men reference. Weird.