PDA

View Full Version : "scuffed" balls

BleacherBandit
04-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I've always wondered what the MLB does with the balls that are "scuffed" on pitches where the ball collides with the dirt. Are they collected and cleaned off?

Also, if pitch is hit in the infield, does the pitcher continue using the ball? I can never tell on these telebroadcasts.

Bobby Thigpen
04-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I've always wondered what the MLB does with the balls that are "scuffed" on pitches where the ball collides with the dirt. Are they collected and cleaned off?
I would imagine teams use them for batting practice.

Mr. Jinx
04-30-2013, 08:41 PM

Also, if pitch is hit in the infield, does the pitcher continue using the ball? I can never tell on these telebroadcasts.

It varies on batted balls. Most of the time the pitcher throws it back to the ump to discard, but sometimes they continue using the same ball. Seems intuitive to me that you'd be more likely to scuff up a ball after it has come off a bat and hit the ground than a ball that simply was pitched into the dirt, but I really don't know.

DumpJerry
05-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I don't think so. I've caught BP balls and they are very clean and are stamped as BP balls.

doublem23
05-01-2013, 09:22 AM

They usually do, as far as I know

I know some guys who find some weird old baseballs used in BP. A friend caught one at a Sox game in 2007 or 2008 (I think) that still had an '05 World Series stamp on it.

vinny
05-01-2013, 02:23 PM
One thing for sure, they go through a lot more balls in games nowadays than even just 10-15 years ago. It used to be that the game ball would be kept between innings, but now every third out the game ball gets handed to a fan and a new ball is used to start the next half inning. Maybe it's to cut down on ball doctoring.

I don't think so. I've caught BP balls and they are very clean and are stamped as BP balls.

I think they clean up the balls they take out of play before putting them into BP.

voodoochile
05-01-2013, 02:51 PM

Might they get stamped after being discarded from game use? All they'd have to do is collect the balls that have been put out of play and then once a day/week stamp them. Heck there's probably plenty of downtime when the team is out of town so someone on the grounds crew could have this job once ever few weeks to fill hours.

Besides how dirty does the average baseball get while in use? They seem to last a few batters at most these days.

Bobby Thigpen
05-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Besides how dirty does the average baseball get while in use? They seem to last a few batters at most these days.
That was my thought when the point that BP balls were clean was brought up.