PDA

View Full Version : ***4/24 Postgame Thread*** Hey, they didn't lose!!!

doublem23
04-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Duper!!!

Bucky F. Dent
04-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Quintana gets a well deserved pick me up from the bullpen.

salty99
04-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Reed keeping up the good work and Dunn 3 walks.

Risk
04-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Thank God.

Risk

SI1020
04-24-2013, 05:25 PM
If the pitching can hold steady and they just pick up the hitting a bit the season can salvaged. As for the game, it reminded me of many in my younger days.

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2013, 05:27 PM
After losing three very winnable games in a row, I'm more relieved than happy w/the W. Nice to see the bullpen bounce back after a couple of hiccups.

Back to .400!!

Lip Man 1
04-24-2013, 05:28 PM
When was the last time these guys got more than eight hits in a game?

Now 18-112 with RISP this season (.160) 1 for their last 18 chances!!!!!

11th time out of 20 games, three runs or less (55%). 5th straight game three runs or less, and 7th time in the last nine.

The Hawks score more in a game then these guys. LOL.

These guys make the great Sox teams of the 60's look like the 27' Yankees offensively.

Lip

blandman
04-24-2013, 05:31 PM
If the pitching can hold steady and they just pick up the hitting a bit the season can salvaged.

:rolling:

ChiSoxGal85
04-24-2013, 05:31 PM
The bullpen actually DIDN'T blow it. Yay!!!

I think I heard Stone say "we needed a laugher like this." I would never call this game a laugher...but I'll agree that the Sox (and we fans) needed it. :bandance:

thomas35forever
04-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Hey, the bullpen's not as bad as we make it out to be.

TDog
04-24-2013, 05:55 PM
The bullpen threw strikes today, more or less. Jones walked Chisenhall in the seventh, but got the three sixth inning hitters he faced, when the Indians were coming back; He didn't put his seventh inning walk into scoring position with a bad pickoff attempt, either. A bullpen not wanlking hitters and not making mistakes would have won at least two more games on this homestand.

Jones came in and limited the damage even when a hit could have tied the game. Maybe without the Rios homer, the pressure of the go-head run at third with none out would have changed Jones' approach. Or maybe Ventura wouldn't have sent Quintana out in the sixth with a 1-0 lead with the hitters who loaded the bases with one out due up in hte sixth.

The bottom line is that the bullpen didn't break today and the Sox won. Reed continues to do his job as closer.

The Sox should have scored more runs, of course, although the failure isn't as flagrant as the Indians failing to score with the bases loaded and one out. Two on and one out in the third and two on and none out in the eighth went nowwhere. In the third, the hitters who failed were the hitters who drove in the only Sox runs today. In the eighth, I was surpised Gillaspie didn't bunt the runners over after the Indians brouht the lefty in to face him. Getting that runner over to third with one out in bottom of the eighth would be huge. Gillaspie had some success sacrificing in Fresno. Fortunately Reed made the at bat an obscure footnote in a Sox win.

amsteel
04-24-2013, 06:05 PM
The offense is still broken, but at least they won.
Averaging than 3.3 runs/game, good for 14th in the AL.

vinny
04-24-2013, 06:16 PM
2013 White Sox formula for success: cancel a game for weather, and we win the next one!

Rinse and repeat. :)

amsteel
04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
2013 White Sox formula for success: cancel a game for weather, and we win the next one!

Only 1 for 2 with that plan.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2013, 06:37 PM
If the pitching can hold steady and they just pick up the hitting a bit the season can salvaged. As for the game, it reminded me of many in my younger days.

If by 'salvaged' you mean winning 83 games or so, then I agree with you. If you mean winning the division or wild card and getting to the playoffs? No...

Lip

TDog
04-24-2013, 06:49 PM
If by 'salvaged' you mean winning 83 games or so, then I agree with you. If you mean winning the division or wild card and getting to the playoffs? No...

Lip

Because being 2 games behind the Tigers in late April is a hole the White Sox won't be able to dig themselves out of, especially considering how the team has overachieved up to this point?

oldgrouch
04-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Lip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

amsteel
04-24-2013, 07:12 PM
So far this is the team that blew a 3 game lead on Detroit last September not the team of May-July last year.

It's the same team as last year so 85 wins should be its realistic goal, but considering regression from age, the DH black hole, the rest of the teams in the ALC getting better, and the terrible play in April even 0.500 seems unattainable.

Memorial Day is the first real waypoint of the season. That's when I think you can officially count a team out.

blandman
04-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Because being 2 games behind the Tigers in late April is a hole the White Sox won't be able to dig themselves out of, especially considering how the team has overachieved up to this point?

It's not the distance, it's the personnel. This is a 70ish win team and it's played as such. 83 wins would be topping out.

rainbow6
04-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Let me be the first to agree with this - yes, 2 games down to the Tigers is a hole this team cannot dig out of. There will be no extended winning streaks with this lineup of outs to bail themselves out of this start.

I would love to be wrong. But I'm not.

vinny
04-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Only 1 for 2 with that plan.

I'll take .500 ball at this point. :redface:

TDog
04-24-2013, 07:58 PM
It's not the distance, it's the personnel. This is a 70ish win team and it's played as such. 83 wins would be topping out.

Essentially you're saying there is no room for improvement.

The personnel isn't as bad as the Sox have played. The White Sox might be in first if the bullpen had performed better,even with De Aza and Keppinger not hitting. I think the bullpen has underached and will do better. I think the team is a lot better offensively than it's played, although for the third season now I believe the team woutl be better offensively if Dunn weren't in the lineup.

It is easy to be pessimistic. You would be right every year from 1960 to 1982 if you threw up your hands and said the Sox don't have the personnel to go anywhere. In 1983, which started not so different from this, you would have been wrong, but Dunn is no Bull. Still, I can't imagine deriving the pleasure that some people do about being correct in their pessimism.

Analysis is one thing. there are things I would like to see the Sox do differently. There areae things I think the Sox could do to improve their lineup. There are things I think Ventura could do to give the Sox a better chance of winning some games, although today he made the right pitching moves. I have no problem with discussion, but too often here I am reminded of Monty Python's argument clinic.

The "we suck" stuff becomes tiresome.

SCCWS
04-24-2013, 08:19 PM
I think the biggest concern is the offense looks like it is going to be really bad. At this point, they have the worst OBP in all of baseball. Individually, only Rios is really producing. He is basically the offense. They have got a nice contribution from Gillaspie and Alexei was hitting well but is quickly dropping. Offensively the 25 man roster has too many below average hitters and it isn't like AAA can come to the rescue. They are going to need outstanding pitching to play .500.

SI1020
04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
:rolling: Stick up for me kufram. If they win about 70 games or so I won't fall out of my chair, but I'd like to think that with Beckham and Tank back, and a continuation of solid pitching the season can be salvaged. I have no playoff hopes and it is kind of funny to me that I'm getting laughed at for being "optimistic."

FielderJones
04-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Memorial Day is the first real waypoint of the season. That's when I think you can officially count a team out.

Memorial Day, May 30, 1983

Four games under (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/VCHA01983.htm), after being eight games under on May 26.

Apparently that season is worth commemorating, or something, because they're wearing those uniforms on Sundays.

shingo10
04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Stick up for me kufram. If they win about 70 games or so I won't fall out of my chair, but I'd like to think that with Beckham and Tank back, and a continuation of solid pitching the season can be salvaged. I have no playoff hopes and it is kind of funny to me that I'm getting laughed at for being "optimistic."

I've been very negative this season (pissed off about the comatose offseason) but I agree with you to a certain point.

The Sox have shown in the past that when the weather gets nice they can have some sporadic offensive performances that are great. What bothers me is that they seem to follow a 9 run game with a shutout. Until they can get some consistency they will be in trouble.

But to your point its April and I am going to believe the Sox will be in the hunt come September because its depressing to think otherwise.

TomBradley72
04-24-2013, 10:32 PM

I agree-

#1 change is get .100 hitting Dunn out of the line up- he's sucked 9/13 months with the Sox (<.200 from 2011-2013)- and whoever they DH will immediately give them an upgrade on offense- their biggest issue. Then Beckham and Viciedo come back- and the offense goes up another notch.

Do they have the guts and courage to bench or release Dunn?

I wish they did.

I don't think they do.

amsteel
04-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Memorial Day, May 30, 1983

Four games under (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/VCHA01983.htm), after being eight games under on May 26.

Apparently that season is worth commemorating, or something, because they're wearing those uniforms on Sundays.

But how had the team been playing to that point? You can be a lucky bad team at four games under, or a unlucky good team. You can't gain alot of context from just the standings.

Also, I don't think I would consider a team 4 under at Memorial Day 'done'

kittle42
04-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Hey, guys, keep your chins up. It *could* happen (no matter how unlikely)!

Don't we make fun of another certain fanbase for this type of stuff?

doublem23
04-24-2013, 11:02 PM

83 wins might be good enough to be serious contenders in this division

Railsplitter
04-24-2013, 11:03 PM
:bandance:

doublem23
04-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Stick up for me kufram. If they win about 70 games or so I won't fall out of my chair, but I'd like to think that with Beckham and Tank back, and a continuation of solid pitching the season can be salvaged. I have no playoff hopes and it is kind of funny to me that I'm getting laughed at for being "optimistic."

I half agree. The Sox have been absolutely BRUTAL out of the gate, if they're going to be this bad all year, well, then it is what it is. But again, looks like the Central is going to be won by some team that's going to max out in the high 80s for wins again. The vaunted Tigers that were going to win 110 games or whatever are nowhere to be found.

I don't have any high hopes, but it's too early to be 100% certain of anything. You just have to make the playoffs. If last year's garbage Detroit team can win the pennant, pretty much anyone can.

Once again our salvation is our incredibly mediocre division.

Zakath
04-24-2013, 11:42 PM
The offense is still broken, but at least they won.
Averaging than 3.3 runs/game, good for 14th in the AL.

No one has scored fewer runs in the AL than us, and only the Marlins and Dodgers have scored fewer runs in the majors.

Thank God that the Mariners have actually played three more games than we have.

delben91
04-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Hey, guys, keep your chins up. It *could* happen (no matter how unlikely)!

Don't we make fun of another certain fanbase for this type of stuff?

Eh, more power to those that want to stay positive and believe something "could" happen. If that makes baseball enjoyable for them I've got no problem with that. I think some folks here think that you're either a pollyanna or dark cloud. There's a lot of in between but if you have to be either of the extremes, give me the pollyannas any day.

I think this team ends up being average at best, though I'd love to be surprised like I was last season. One benefit to being out of contention is it would give me a lot more spare time in the evenings this summer.

shingo10
04-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Eh, more power to those that want to stay positive and believe something "could" happen. If that makes baseball enjoyable for them I've got no problem with that. I think some folks here think that you're either a pollyanna or dark cloud. There's a lot of in between but if you have to be either of the extremes, give me the pollyannas any day.

I think this team ends up being average at best, though I'd love to be surprised like I was last season. One benefit to being out of contention is it would give me a lot more spare time in the evenings this summer.

I thought I'd be like this in 2007 but there was actually something enjoyable about watching even though they were out of it real early. It was fun watching Thome, Dye (Until he fell off), Konerko, and AJ try to carry a bunch of scrubs like Luis Tererro and Andy Gonzales.

Also the Andy Gonzales 3 error inning was incredibly entertaining.

Plus I thought we had a budding superstar in Josh Fields...oops.

Its been discussed here before but I'm definitely one who will try to catch the Sox no matter what their record is and try to find some spark of hope for the future.

That being said it sucks watching a team that doesn't care (2011) so hopefully Robin and these guys fight it out no matter what.

kufram
04-25-2013, 01:42 AM

I'm not in the season prediction game. You are right in being hopeful that things will get better, in my opinion. We have done a number of things badly for 2 or three weeks. That has to change and it could change. April is a time for hope. I don't want to spend this time predicting anything, but certainly not predicting certain failure.

Keeping the opposition from scoring and then scoring one more run than them will do.

blandman
04-25-2013, 01:51 AM
Did someone actually pine for Viciedo's return to bring the team back to respectability?

That's something that actually happened. Wow.

amsteel
04-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Did someone actually pine for Viciedo's return to bring the team back to respectability?

Yeah, this team definitely doesn't need a player that was 7-14 in the 4 games before his injury.

TDog
04-25-2013, 02:42 AM
But how had the team been playing to that point? You can be a lucky bad team at four games under, or a unlucky good team. You can't gain alot of context from just the standings.

Also, I don't think I would consider a team 4 under at Memorial Day 'done'

The start of 1983 wasn't so different from the start of 2013, although it wasn't a lack of offense that was so much the problem. Ron Kittle was having a strong rookie season and got off to a fast start. But the strenghth of the team was supposed to be pitching. The Sox had signed Floyd Bannisster who was much worse early in the season than Todd Ritchie at the start 19 seasons later. Bannister was consistently bad with an ERA consistently over 5 until Memorial Day. The Arizona Republic in Phoenix did a story about ASU pitching legend Bannister at the All-Star break, concluding he was too gutless to get AL hitters out.

Incumbent ace LaMarr Hoyt in mid-May was 2-6 with an ERA over 5 in mid-May. Before this team started winning ugly, it was losing ugly. Of course, Bannister ended up winning 16 games, 13 after the All-Star break, and Hoyt won the Cy Young Award.

The 2007 White Sox looked much better through May than the 1983 White Sox. But as Ron Kittle told a reporter during the horriblly disappointing start in 1983, the Sox began the 1982 season 8-0, and that didn't work out so well.

This isn't to suggest that getting off to a bad start means the team will contend. But it's a long season. If not for two melt-down innings by the bullpen on this homestand, the Sox would only be one game out of first. And the bullpen is supposed to be a strength.

gosox41
04-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Super Duper!!!

Next game, maybe we can score more then 3 runs and get more then 5 hits.

Nice to finally get a W. Hope Sale keeps it going Thu.

Bob

TheVulture
04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
The Sox have the pennant contending quality pitching, IMO. The other side, uh...well...

LITTLE NELL
04-25-2013, 07:52 AM
We are in the middle of the Caribbean on a cruise and it was ruining my cruise waking up every day and checking the previous days scores with another Sox loss. Can't believe we finally won a game, all that food today will be easier to digest and my Manhattan before dinner will taste better.
We still can't hit and as long as useless Dunn is in the cleanup spot we are doomed. The man is either stupid or stubborn not to try something else while at bat. Batting .100 is not even pathetic.

Chez
04-25-2013, 08:50 AM

I agree with this. Never understood why some insist on mocking others for either being optimistic -- even irrationally optimistic -- or for simply enjoying Sox baseball (or tolerating bad Sox baseball). People have different outlooks on baseball and on life. It's April -- no one has all the answers on how the season will play out.

doublem23
04-25-2013, 09:00 AM

This post constitutes a personal attack on another poster. Enjoy your time off.

cards press box
04-25-2013, 09:13 AM
No one has scored fewer runs in the AL than us, and only the Marlins and Dodgers have scored fewer runs in the majors.

The Sox need help on offense, no doubt about it. The return of Beckham and Viciedo will help and maybe the Sox make another move or two.

But for today,

:winner

kittle42
04-25-2013, 10:06 AM
83 wins might be good enough to be serious contenders in this division

Hence the reason for the ****ty organizational philosophy.

SI1020
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah, this team definitely doesn't need a player that was 7-14 in the 4 games before his injury. I've criticized for the overuse of the word, but he seems to have a pathological dislike (there I avoided it) for Viciedo. Yeah, he's raw, he'll probably never win a GG, or be a superstar, but it's too early to give up on him. He's a very streaky hitter. If you saw him like I did when he was on the Birmingham Barons you'd know what a long way he has traveled.

Carolina Kenny
04-25-2013, 01:16 PM
We are in the middle of the Caribbean on a cruise and it was ruining my cruise waking up every day and checking the previous days scores with another Sox loss. Can't believe we finally won a game, all that food today will be easier to digest and my Manhattan before dinner will taste better.
We still can't hit and as long as useless Dunn is in the cleanup spot we are doomed. The man is either stupid or stubborn not to try something else while at bat. Batting .100 is not even pathetic.

Ha, Dunn should try chocking up and using a bottle bat!

hawkjt
04-25-2013, 03:05 PM
The Sox were 17-21 last year in the third week of May....4 games under .500. They then won 14 of 16 and spent most of the season in 1st place.
Sox are 8-12 on April 24 this year,and the season is over? No,it is not.

The offense is horrible,but that can change. I thought the A's were like the worst offensive team I had ever seen last year in May and June,and then by August they were unbeatable. Its baseball....never give up in April.

kittle42
04-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Its baseball....never give up in April.

I used to think that as a kid.

hawkjt
04-25-2013, 04:02 PM
I used to think that as a kid.

Enjoy the last 5 months of the season without hope then...

jdm2662
04-25-2013, 04:19 PM
The Sox were 17-21 last year in the third week of May....4 games under .500. They then won 14 of 16 and spent most of the season in 1st place.
Sox are 8-12 on April 24 this year,and the season is over? No,it is not.

The offense is horrible,but that can change. I thought the A's were like the worst offensive team I had ever seen last year in May and June,and then by August they were unbeatable. Its baseball....never give up in April.

I agree instant gratification is used too much in today's world. However, I don't really blame some people to an extent. Think about it. We've been down this road quite a bit lately. Where, they hit like pure crap for a month and a half or so, and then go on a big run to get into contention. Then, they fade down the stretch. Last year, they stayed in contention until the last week, which is a little different. The other times, they fade right after the all-star break.

That said, I watch sports for entertainment, and I will continue to do that. I just hope Hawk doesn't make me turn on Baby First TV too much. My son goes to bed around 8:00...

kittle42
04-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Enjoy the last 5 months of the season without hope then...

Hey, I always hope or I wouldn't watch the games. Of course, there are fans of a bunch of other mediocre teams saying the same right now. Oh, and the Sox front office.