PDA

View Full Version : Another Gem: Historical Footage of 1976 White Sox Game

kba
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM
There's a ton of cool stuff on the Mediaburn site. They have hours of video from Bill Veeck's career dating back to the 1950's. It includes raw footage from when a documentary-maker followed Veeck around during 1978 spring training. Among other things, it shows Veeck trying to get a message to Fidel Castro (http://mediaburn.org/video/inside-spring-training-raw-25/) as part of a scheme to conduct part of spring training in Cuba.

They also have part of the 1959 World Series film (http://mediaburn.org/video/world-series-of-1959-segments/), narrated by Vin Scully and several of those "Memorable Moments in Chicago Sports" (http://mediaburn.org/video/memorable-moments-in-chicago-sports/) segments that WGN used to show during Cubs rain delays.

Also this gem: The last couple innings of a random Sox telecast (http://mediaburn.org/video/sox-reel-3/) from September 1976 -- a blowout loss to the Twins. You really get a sense for how gritty and uninviting the old park looked in those days -- especially on a cold September night with only a few hundred fans in the stands.

Procol Harum
04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
That '76 Sox broadcast was a major blast from the past--you ought to start a thread just for it so folks will know it's on here. Alan Bannister, Bart Johnson, Jim Spencer, Larry Monroe (!). And Old Comiskey certainly did look grim--what really stood out to me was how unkempt the infield looked compared to the pristine care we've gotten used to over the decades.

chicagowhitesox1
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
That '76 Sox broadcast was a major blast from the past--you ought to start a thread just for it so folks will know it's on here. Alan Bannister, Bart Johnson, Jim Spencer, Larry Monroe (!). And Old Comiskey certainly did look grim--what really stood out to me was how unkempt the infield looked compared to the pristine care we've gotten used to over the decades.

That Hamms beer commercial was pretty hilarious.

C-Dawg
04-24-2013, 02:27 PM

And the late Lymon Bostock... :(:

Harry almost sounds too coherent here, as if someone has sped up the tape. I suppose most surviving footage of Harry dates from later in the 70s (and from the Cub era) so we've all forgotten he used to be on top of his game.

I still love the Bill Veeck-era uniforms...

Noneck
04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Harry almost sounds too coherent here, as if someone has sped up the tape. I suppose most surviving footage of Harry dates from later in the 70s (and from the Cub era) so we've all forgotten he used to be on top of his game.

There are many out there that never heard Harry (only clips) till his cub days. He was a very good announcer.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Knock yourself out listening to Harry's days with the Sox from back in the 70's. Audio cuts start with the 72 season:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2361

Lip

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2013, 04:50 PM

Ain't that the truth!

Did you notice future NL Cy Young winner Pete Vuckovich warming up in our bullpen in the 9th?

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
That Hamms beer commercial was fantastic.It was interesting to see Harry mention how the Sox were going to struggle to draw 1 million fans that year (he said they were at 800,000 which would have outdrawn their 1975 attendance). The distance was marked in feet and in meters down the lines. Also at one point Harry mentioned that Paul Richards left the game, I guess that gives you a good idea of how bad the 1976 White Sox were.

Lamp81
04-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Ain't that the truth!

Did you notice future NL Cy Young winner Pete Vuckovich warming up in our bullpen in the 9th?

Pete did win the CYA award for the Brewers, but they played in the American League at the time. Later on, he tore the rotator cuff in his shoulder and caught on with the Yankees at 1st Base.

MLB should have moved the Brewers back to the AL this year, instead of the Astros. Now we have 2 teams with dual league histories. Or they could have done the season long inter-league play from the start in '97.

SI1020
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
There are many out there that never heard Harry (only clips) till his cub days. He was a very good announcer. One of the all time best.

MushMouth
04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
The Cycle used to be known as the "Scale"?

Noneck
04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
One of the all time best.

When I was kid and the Sox werent playing at night, I used to listen to Harry do stl on the radio sometimes. Im not knocking Elson but Harry was terrific doing radio also.

mrfourni
04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
The Cycle used to be known as the "Scale"?

Late-inning Harry Carey might not be the best source for old-time terminology. After hearing him mention some weird 13 run pool 3-4 times, I get the impression that he may have had a few Hamm's that game.

Noneck
04-25-2013, 01:17 PM
After hearing him mention some weird 13 run pool 3-4 times, I get the impression that he may have had a few Hamm's that game.

Not necessarily.
Being in 13run pools was very popular.

SI1020
04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
When I was kid and the Sox werent playing at night, I used to listen to Harry do stl on the radio sometimes. Im not knocking Elson but Harry was terrific doing radio also. I did the same thing.

Tree Hate Me
04-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Late-inning Harry Carey might not be the best source for old-time terminology. After hearing him mention some weird 13 run pool 3-4 times, I get the impression that he may have had a few Hamm's that game.

You can definitely see a brown beer bottle sitting on the desk next to his microphone when he's doing the postgame wrap up.

Irishsox1
04-25-2013, 01:45 PM
The drunk fans yelling "Harry"....I remember that clearly.

mrfourni
04-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Not necessarily.
Being in 13run pools was very popular.

Thanks, I'd never heard of that before. Looked it up, it actually looks like a fun/easy betting game.

russ99
04-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Great clip, that takes me back... Where was Jimmy :D: (he joined the booth in '77)

Found another silly clip on that site from 82 or 83 with the Chicken:

http://mediaburn.org/video/white-sox-chicken/

Lots of good shots of the old centerfield scoreboard in that one.

vinny
04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Great interview of Bill and Mary Frances Veeck by Edward R. Murrow in 1959:

http://mediaburn.org/video/person-to-person-with-bill-veeck/

StillMissOzzie
04-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Great clip, that takes me back... Where was Jimmy :D: (he joined the booth in '77)

Found another silly clip on that site from 82 or 83 with the Chicken:

http://mediaburn.org/video/white-sox-chicken/

Lots of good shots of the old centerfield scoreboard in that one.

I did a bit of research on baseball-reference, and based on a few shots of the scoreboard, this game was played on Friday, July 6, 1984. The Sox ended up winning this one 11 - 6

SMO
:gulp:

WhiteSox5187
04-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Here's an interesting clip where players are making promos asking fans to come out to Opening Day. What's interesting is that the promo is for Opening Day in 1976 as Ralph Garr is one of the players featured, but evidently they wore their old uniforms from 1975 in spring training that year.
http://mediaburn.org/video/white-sox-opening-day-1976-spots/

RadioheadRocks
04-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Wow, another great blast from the past! I definitely remember those graphics... jeez how primitive they are compared to what we're used to today! (I also remember the "BALL 2, STRIKE 2, OUT 2" graphic that was always present during Sox telecasts) How about the blue and red seat sections (with a VERY brief glimpse at 1 min, 50 sec at that section in the left field upper deck with the multi-colored pastel seats... what was THAT all about???!!!???!!!). Also gotta love the old red jackets the AL umps wore and the huge chest protector on the home plate ump.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Radio:

Veeck wanted to isolate the first 10 rows or so in the upper decks as being a more higher priced seat so they were painted a solid different color.

The multi color was used because he felt on TV it obscured the fact that those seats were empty.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
04-26-2013, 11:42 PM
In 1976, did Harry do the game by himself?

Lip Man 1
04-27-2013, 09:59 AM
No, but he did work most of the innings on the TV side.

Lorn Brown worked most of the innings on the radio side.

Lip

DoItForDanPasqua
04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
After it being gone for so many years, I've come to idealize Comiskey Park as a perfect place; it's odd to see it appear a bit uninviting as it does in this game. I'd still trade US Cellular for the charm and history of Comiskey in a minute though.