PDA

View Full Version : Sveum threatens to demote Starlin Castro, Anthony Rizzo

doublem23
04-22-2013, 07:52 AM
If anyone caught some of their lowlights in Milwaukee this weekend, you'd know why...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0422-cubs-brewers-chicago-20130422,0,7872211.story

SI1020
04-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Demote them? They're future HOFers. Aren't they?

doublem23
04-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Demote them? They're future HOFers. Aren't they?

The Pacific Coast League has a Hall of Fame, I think. :cool:

C-Dawg
04-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Castro still has the porous glove eh?

Rizzo is the only one I fear. Six home runs; I didn't realize he was only hitting .201. After he came up last year, every time I turned on the news they had footage of him hitting a cheap one into the Wrigley Field baskets.

cards press box
04-22-2013, 09:57 AM
It sounds as though Sveum is just venting some frustration. If the Cubs were going to send down one or both of those guys, wouldn't they just do it and not talk about it?

doublem23
04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
It sounds as though Sveum is just venting some frustration. If the Cubs were going to send down one or both of those guys, wouldn't they just do it and not talk about it?

Oh yeah, Sveum doesn't have the authority to make that kind of roster move anyway.

I just think it's funny. Going into this season the Cubs looked like they had a solid plan in place that was coming along nicely. They had Castro and Rizzo at the Majors, an improving farm system, and the #2 pick overall this upcoming Draft. But we're 17 games into the season and it looks like the wheels have completely come off the wagon; their franchise players in the Show have their heads shoved completely up their ass, their franchise prospect is attacking players with a bat, their pitching is non-existant, their only tradeable assets are either completely terrible (Marmol) or injured (Garza), their manager is probably going to die of an anuerysm before the season is over...

It's not looking great on the North Side.

blandman
04-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Castro still has the porous glove eh?

Rizzo is the only one I fear. Six home runs; I didn't realize he was only hitting .201. After he came up last year, every time I turned on the news they had footage of him hitting a cheap one into the Wrigley Field baskets.

.201 with 6 homers would be like our fourth best hitter.

doublem23
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Did anyone deny the Sox offense is terrible?

guillensdisciple
04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Offensively, their numbers are not bad, but their defense has always been an issue. UNfortunately, no one has ever sent anyone down because of poor defense.

C-Dawg
04-22-2013, 12:23 PM

Oh I know, but with the way they were gushing all over him, one would think he's at about 15 HRs already and .390 batting. Cubbie Kool-Aid I suppose.

Jerko
04-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Poor Sveum. He has to actually act like on-field performance matters this year. That's a tough job.

StillMissOzzie
04-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Poor Sveum. He has to actually act like on-field performance matters this year. That's a tough job.

Maybe Dale has seen enough and is bucking to get fired. It is not like Theo is gonna demote either of his golden boys, certainly not with Castro"s fat contract. That would be an admission of error on his part.

SMO
:gulp:

Bobby Thigpen
04-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Castro is a tool.

shingo10
04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Theo is a genius because he bought himself 5 years by implementing his "rebuilding" plan. All the sheep have bought it and they are willing to sacrifice season after season for the greater good. All the while Theo has odds on his side...Eventually the Cubs will field a good team. Even Baltimore and Pittsburgh have had good seasons lately. Well Pittsburgh was "good" compared to what they are used to but the point is that Theo is slick. I'm not a fan but I get his appeal.

Domeshot17
04-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Oh I know, but with the way they were gushing all over him, one would think he's at about 15 HRs already and .390 batting. Cubbie Kool-Aid I suppose.

You mean like how we gushed over Gordon Beckham for years haha. I think all teams do that, hell, I remember someone hear saying Beckham was the next Jeter.

DumpJerry
04-22-2013, 05:18 PM
I remember someone hear saying Beckham was the next Jeter.
That "somone" was Jeter himself after Beckham nailed the Yanks for something like five doubles in one weekend against them his rookie year. Jeter was gushing about Beckham in the Sun Times after that series was over.

My question: Is "Rizzo" Italian for "Dunn?"

soltrain21
04-22-2013, 06:56 PM
You mean like how we gushed over Gordon Beckham for years haha. I think all teams do that, hell, I remember someone hear saying Beckham was the next Jeter.

People here were adamant that trading him for Adrian Gonzales was a bad move because Beckham was going to be a superstar for 12 years.

CoopaLoop
04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
I have this crazy feeling that Sveum will not be a part of the Cubs post rebuilding.

WhiteSox5187
04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
I have this crazy feeling that Sveum will not be a part of the Cubs post rebuilding.

That's an interesting question that I have talked about with my friends, how long does Sveum and Theo have? They need to start showing some degree of improvement this year and I THINK they need to at least flirt with .500 by next year.

doublem23
04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
That's an interesting question that I have talked about with my friends, how long does Sveum and Theo have? They need to start showing some degree of improvement this year and I THINK they need to at least flirt with .500 by next year.

Sveum maybe, Theo has a longer leash, I think, you win two World Titles in Boston and you've earned some street cred.

But if the Cubs are this bad, and this fundamentally bad, well, that's on the manager, right? Who else can be held accountable if his players are making mental mistakes all over the place?

DrCrawdad
04-22-2013, 10:12 PM
With the Sox playing such craptastic baseball I find little to no pleasure in the Cubbies play to date. The Sox are playing embarrassingly bad baseball. Cubbie fans, I got nothing.

thomas35forever
04-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Can Ventura or Hahn say this to Dunn?

C-Dawg
04-23-2013, 06:44 AM
You mean like how we gushed over Gordon Beckham for years haha.

I agree, its a very similar situation. The difference is, the Chicago media wasn't covering Beckham's rookie season like he was the next Babe Ruth, like they did Rizzo (at least last year).

Ch. 7 sent Rafer Weigel to Pittsburgh for the Cubs season opener - on the road - but all they showed was tape of the Sox opener, and it was at home. At least they had a Rizzo HR to feature.

Sorry to go all Hangar on you guys but it seemed pretty annoying to me.

jdm2662
04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I agree, its a very similar situation. The difference is, the Chicago media wasn't covering Beckham's rookie season like he was the next Babe Ruth, like they did Rizzo (at least last year).

Ch. 7 sent Rafer Weigel to Pittsburgh for the Cubs season opener - on the road - but all they showed was tape of the Sox opener, and it was at home. At least they had a Rizzo HR to feature.

My personal favorite was when the Cubs signed Todd Hundley. That was such an awesome story and signing. Todd is coming home to play for his hometown Cubbies and his father gets to pass the torch to him, etc. My thinking was, what is so good of giving a career .239 catcher with a bad shoulder $24 million?

It used to bother me, but now I just laugh at it. I don't even pay attention to the Cubs anymore. Of course, the Sox have their own problems. Kind of hard to laugh at another team when your team sucks royally bad, too...

DrCrawdad
04-24-2013, 09:28 PM

After Rizzo's Opening Day HR, he's having a very bad start to the 2013 season. That said I don't wish Rizzo ill. The only current Cubbie that I can think of that I'd love to see fail is Jeff Samardzija.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Sully tonight at the Tribune web site has a story talking about a fire sale come July. Names Marmol, Soriano, Barney, DeJesus, Garza (if healthy) and a few others as those who could be moved.

Lip

Brian26
04-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Sully tonight at the Tribune web site has a story talking about a fire sale come July. Names Marmol, Soriano, Barney, DeJesus, Garza (if healthy) and a few others as those who could be moved.

Lip

Marmol and Soriano (and perhaps even Garza) don't really qualify as fire-sale material though. The Cubs are begging somebody to take those guys. Their value could not be any lower right now.

doublem23
04-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Marmol and Soriano (and perhaps even Garza) don't really qualify as fire-sale material though. The Cubs are begging somebody to take those guys. Their value could not be any lower right now.

I would think Garza qualifies as worthless material right now, too, as he just had a rehab start scratched due to a "dead arm." I mean, I guess maybe someone will take a flyer on him, but the Cubs gave up a bounty for him barely more than 2 years ago. That move's going to go down as bad if not worse than the Swisher I and II trades for the Sox.

TomBradley72
04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Sveum maybe, Theo has a longer leash, I think, you win two World Titles in Boston and you've earned some street cred.

But if the Cubs are this bad, and this fundamentally bad, well, that's on the manager, right? Who else can be held accountable if his players are making mental mistakes all over the place?

I agree- I can think of three times when a new manager, taking over mediocre or rebuilding teams- had a great impact on how they played the fundamentals.

LaRussa in 1979 took over Sox- somehow found a way to go 27-27 with that big pile of crap.

Torborg in 1989, 37-36 in the 2nd half

Ventura- 2012 (seems to have disappeared in 2013 though)

CoopaLoop
04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
I would think Garza qualifies as worthless material right now, too, as he just had a rehab start scratched due to a "dead arm." I mean, I guess maybe someone will take a flyer on him, but the Cubs gave up a bounty for him barely more than 2 years ago. That move's going to go down as bad if not worse than the Swisher I and II trades for the Sox.

Bounty is a great word for it. Two of the Rays top three prospects currently are from the Garza trade.

It was a pretty terrible trade.