PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-18 Same old, same old JAYS 3 SOX 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
04-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Sale deserved better

Frater Perdurabo
04-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm trying to be patient, but Keppinger and Dunn need to get their heads out of their rear ends.

LoveYourSuit
04-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Dunn is useless.

Have the balls to bench him already, please!

:angry:

Frater Perdurabo
04-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Come home and start hitting already.

blandman
04-18-2013, 09:26 PM
It was good to see Sale's velocity rebound. He isn't the kind of pitcher that can be effective without it.

I think my offseason prediction of 72-75 wins was way to optimistic. This team is hitting like it wants to challenge for 100 losses.

vinny
04-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Sale didn't help himself either. We might be going to extras without the HBP and error in the 5th. Dunn and his hands of stone didn't help.

LoveYourSuit
04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Sale didn't help himself either. We might be going to extras without the HBP and error in the 5th. Dunn and his hands of stone didn't help.

Sadly, SPs are going to need to realize that giving up more than 2 runs and you are not going to win.

Anyone think Gavin Floyd is capable of this? He'll give up 2 runs before warm-ups. :rolleyes:

Tragg
04-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Ventura pinch hits for the hot Viciedo.
He pinch hits for the .364 hitter Gillsespie.
But he lets one of the worst hitters in the majors, Wise, hit with the game on the line. Pure clown managing.

Wise must have something on the Sox. He shouldn't be on this roster at all with his career .260 OBP (I had hoped Hahn would rid this organization of love of low obp hitters), much less leading off and allowed to hit in clutch situations.

Otherwise, just a poorly played game. Dunn looks like he's dun.

LoveYourSuit
04-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Ventura pinch hits for the hot Viciedo.
He pinch hits for the .364 hitter Gillsespie.
But he lets one of the worst hitters in the majors, Wise, hit with the game on the line. Pure clown managing.

Wise must have something on the Sox. He shouldn't be on this roster at all with his career .260 OBP (I had hoped Hahn would rid this organization of love of low obp hitters), much less leading off and allowed to hit in clutch situations.

Otherwise, just a poorly played game. Dunn looks like he's dun.

Viciedo hurt his oblique on his AB. What game were you watching? :scratch:

DL trip coming up.

CoopaLoop
04-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Adam Dunn needs to hit in the bottom three.

Golden Sox
04-18-2013, 09:46 PM
I will not even bother to mention Adam Done anymore, but Jeff Keppinger has really been a disappointment so far this season. I hope the White Sox didn't sign this guy whose best years are behind him. We signed him for three years and I was hoping for at least some decent production from him. Hopefully he will start hitting on this coming homestand.

SI1020
04-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Is there something about coming to the White Sox and then forgetting how to hit?

amsteel
04-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Just like everything this year: totally predictable.

Sox facing an unorthodox soft tosser? They never stood a chance.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Tank but that kinda injury can ruin a whole season.

StillMissOzzie
04-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Yet another junkball soft-tossing lefty handcuffs the Sox "hitters". Shocking.

SMO
:gulp:

amsteel
04-18-2013, 10:15 PM

SMO

While that is normally true, that didn't happen tonight, unless you're talking about Loup.

mzh
04-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Just like everything this year: totally predictable.

Sox facing an unorthodox soft tosser? They never stood a chance.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Tank but that kinda injury can ruin a whole season.

SMO
Let's be real, this isn't your average crafty Bruce Chen type. Dickey didn't pull 20 wins and 230 strikeouts out of his ass last year. When a knuckleballer, especially as good of one as Dickey, has it going for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he could shut down the '27 Yankees.

Brian26
04-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Sale deserved better

Sale fell asleep in the first and let Rajai Davis steal two bases, and he came around to score.

In the 5th, he hit Bonafacio and then threw the ball away when he had him picked off, resulting later in another run (no way Dunn throws him out at the plate even if he fields that ball).

Unfortunately with this Sox offense, you can't make any mistakes.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2013, 10:22 PM
This is what has driven me crazy since this started to become an issue in 2001. Typical Sox performance...score seven runs one night, look good hitting the ball...24 hours later, they look totally impotent. Measly four hits. Make two more errors to boot and lose.

They just can't seem to find any consistency. Guess that comes with the territory when it's basically 'home run or nothing...'

4-5-6 hitters in the lineup now batting .241, .105, .229

Dunn looks even worse right now than he did in 2011 if that's possible.

Eight more strikeouts...only one walk.

Maybe they'll hit better at home, guess we should be grateful they got three wins on the road trip...could have been worse I guess.

Regarding Dayan, if he's out for any period of time (third Sox player to possibly go on the DL and this season is less than a month old...) that means his "replacements" in the lineup are either Wise or Jordan Danks. Nice having a quality bench isn't it?

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned during the broadcasts or the road trip but Hahn was with the club for the entire 10 games getting a first hand look at what he has.

I think that's actually good since Kenny especially in the last few years didn't go on the road much.

Having Hahn around enables him to talk directly with his on field staff as well as talk directly with scouts. (And there were a bunch watching the Sox already on this trip - especially Floyd - although I can't understand why anybody would want him. Maybe the scouts are being sent by other teams who already have an idea the Sox could be big sellers by mid June...)

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-18-2013, 10:42 PM
"You don't care what the weather is like. You just want to go home. It has been a long, rough trip." -- Robin Ventura.

Dunn went 1-33 on the 10 game road trip. 1-33! :o: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-chicago-white-sox-adam-dunn-slump-20130418,0,2609620.story

Dayan says he's feeling better and doesn't think he'll go on the DL. We'll see.

Lip

TDog
04-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Sale deserved better

I thought the Sox needed more from him tonight. The two-run inning was killer, and he set it up with two mistakes that didn't involved giving up a hit. Hold the Blue Jays to the run in the first, and the Sox woul have had a good chance in the game.

I hate knuckleballers. They can mess up your timing, sometimes after the game. Back in the day when Forster and Gossage were coming in to relieve Wilbur Wood, they could be even more dominant. At the same time, since Wood took a Ron LeFlore line drive off of his knee, I hated seeing knuckleballers pitch for the Sox because they might come out with nothing. And in close games, it only takes one pitch not knuckling to ruin the game. Mistakes tonight failed to keep the game close enough.

I was a bit surprised with the Blue Jays running game tonight. They seemed much more aggressive with Sale pitching than they were earlier in the week, although the opportunities weren't there with Quintana pitching. I expected the Sox to do some running tonight, but they really didn't have a chance. Nice to see a two-out, two-strike RBI double out of Flowers, though.

I also have to wonder why Dunn is playing so much first. Tonight it isn't such a trivial question. It has crossed my mind that the White Sox are might be showcasing him for a trade, there being few teams that would be in the market for a DH. If that's the case, though, it isn't helping anyone.

shingo10
04-18-2013, 11:24 PM
I thought the Sox needed more from him tonight. The two-run inning was killer, and he set it up with two mistakes that didn't involved giving up a hit. Hold the Blue Jays to the run in the first, and the Sox woul have had a good chance in the game.

I hate knuckleballers. They can mess up your timing, sometimes after the game. Back in the day when Forster and Gossage were coming in to relieve Wilbur Wood, they could be even more dominant. At the same time, since Wood took a Ron LeFlore line drive off of his knee, I hated seeing knuckleballers pitch for the Sox because they might come out with nothing. And in close games, it only takes one pitch not knuckling to ruin the game. Mistakes tonight failed to keep the game close enough.

I was a bit surprised with the Blue Jays running game tonight. They seemed much more aggressive with Sale pitching than they were earlier in the week, although the opportunities weren't there with Quintana pitching. I expected the Sox to do some running tonight, but they really didn't have a chance. Nice to see a two-out, two-strike RBI double out of Flowers, though.

I also have to wonder why Dunn is playing so much first. Tonight it isn't such a trivial question. It has crossed my mind that the White Sox are might be showcasing him for a trade, there being few teams that would be in the market for a DH. If that's the case, though, it isn't helping anyone.

Was wondering this myself...is something wrong with Paulie? He looks like he grimaces every time he is "running" the bases.

After a road trip like that it is hard not to expect something similar to 2007 out of this season. Despite playing teams close on the road trip we still somehow managed to look like we don't belong in the majors.

Harry Potter
04-18-2013, 11:36 PM

Ventura wanted to keep Paulie from playing on turf

LoveYourSuit
04-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Ventura wanted to keep Paulie from playing on turf

Already in April trying to save Paulie's legs?

And watch them extend him next offseason to 3 yeas $40 million.

Will be so Sox to do it.

Dibbs
04-19-2013, 12:11 AM
35 year old Dewayne Wise leading off. Fire Robin, fire Hahn, and fire Brooks while we are at it.

BigHurt3515
04-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Really hope Danks starts and not Wise for however long Viciedo is out fo

JB98
04-19-2013, 02:42 AM
Really hope Danks starts and not Wise for however long Viciedo is out fo

What difference does it make? Danks and Wise are both nothing more than spare parts. Neither is capable of playing every day at this level.

A few other things from tonight:

1. Farmer mentioned that Konerko is nursing a bad back. That's why Dunn has been getting all the starts at 1B. Paulie hit .324 with three HRs on the trip. He was one of the few bright spots. Anything and everything to keep Konerko healthy. He can still hit. And there aren't many on this roster who can.

2. I wish people would lay off Keppinger. I'm sure he'll hear boos on the upcoming homestand, but people have to understand 16 games does not a season make. There's a lot of games left, and I suspect he'll get back to his career norms. I'm sure I'll also be flamed for that statement, as board decorum demands that we be cynical, hateful and angry at all times.

3. I don't have any problem with people who bash Dunn at this point. It's too pathetic for words right now. There's decline, and then there's falling off a cliff. His performance is inexcusable.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2013, 07:29 AM
JB, I'm trying to be patient with Keppinger. It's damn frustrating to sign a guy who previously rarely struck out and usually put the ball in play, who then upon donning the silver and black, makes Brian Anderson look like Ted Williams.

What he did in Tampa is exactly what the Sox needed, and we're not getting it from him. I remain hopeful that things will change any game now.

I really hope his high batting average wasn't a function of the fast turf in Tampa.

SI1020
04-19-2013, 08:42 AM
2. I wish people would lay off Keppinger. I'm sure he'll hear boos on the upcoming homestand, but people have to understand 16 games does not a season make. There's a lot of games left, and I suspect he'll get back to his career norms. I'm sure I'll also be flamed for that statement, as board decorum demands that we be cynical, hateful and angry at all times.
I bashed him sort of, hope that you are right about him, and won't do anything but maybe disagree with you from time to time.

doublem23
04-19-2013, 08:54 AM

SMO

He's also the reigning NY Cy Young Award winner, so I can cut them some slack

kittle42
04-19-2013, 11:05 AM
I was a huge Dunn supporter, but this is just sick. If I was attending a game on this homestand, there would at least be no applause from me.

1 for 33?! I think I might actually be able to hit 1 for 33. Maybe.

Looking forward to the 0-2, 10.47 ERA Vance Worley handcuffing the Sox tonight.

asindc
04-19-2013, 12:17 PM
I was a huge Dunn supporter, but this is just sick. If I was attending a game on this homestand, there would at least be no applause from me.

I would bet anyone a drink that I could hit 1 for 33 over the course of 34 ABs in MLB games. It really is time to consider benching him, or at the very least platooning him and batting him 8th. Even if this is not a contending team, there is no need to give anyone the impression that the Sox will put up with this.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2013, 12:43 PM

We'll that's assuming they play tonight. It's about 38 degrees right now according to the weather site plus flurries. Only going to get worse this evening. PERFECT BASEBALL WEATHER!

Lip

JB98
04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
JB, I'm trying to be patient with Keppinger. It's damn frustrating to sign a guy who previously rarely struck out and usually put the ball in play, who then upon donning the silver and black, makes Brian Anderson look like Ted Williams.

What he did in Tampa is exactly what the Sox needed, and we're not getting it from him. I remain hopeful that things will change any game now.

I really hope his high batting average wasn't a function of the fast turf in Tampa.

The turf in Toronto didn't seem to help him this week. I think he's in a slump, nothing more, nothing less.

I would not expect another season of .325 from him regardless. I think it is fair to expect him to bat .280 and put the ball in play more consistently than he has in the early going.

Foulke You
04-19-2013, 03:12 PM
The turf in Toronto didn't seem to help him this week. I think he's in a slump, nothing more, nothing less.

I would not expect another season of .325 from him regardless. I think it is fair to expect him to bat .280 and put the ball in play more consistently than he has in the early going.
Keppinger also has to lead the team in "at 'em balls" this year. He has had some bad luck with the line drives right at people.

TDog
04-19-2013, 03:13 PM
We'll that's assuming they play tonight. It's about 38 degrees right now according to the weather site plus flurries. Only going to get worse this evening. PERFECT BASEBALL WEATHER!

Lip

You have 2 major league teams in Chicago. You pretty much have a homestand in progress in Chicago throughout the baseball season. Except for off days, there is generally a game. The exceptions are few. The White Sox in particular do not want to play when the Cubs are playing eight miles away although the Cubs in recent years haven't seemed to care.

If you're a Chicago baseball team, you're going to have home games in terrible weather. It's part of our heritage as Chicago baseball fans. I know I'm proud to have attended a tie game in the 1970s that was called because of snow in the 10th.

But I don't know what you expect baseball to do about it. The fact is, most of baseball would solve the problem by removing the White Sox from the Chicago equation.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
TDog:

I'll make an exception and actually address your comment.

Baseball can do what they did in the late 80's / early 90's. Play as many games as possible in warm weather / dome sites for the first few weeks of the season. That doesn't mean for example the Sox won't play some April games...they just won't play 16 of them....maybe six. Same for teams like the Tigers, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Phillies etc.

The teams that would host as much as possible the first two / three weeks would be:

Toronto (roof), Tampa Bay (roof), Seattle (roof), Texas, Angels, Houston (roof), Atlanta, Miami, Arizona (roof), Dodgers and San Diego.

You could also consider playing a few more home games in San Francisco, Cincinnati, Washington, St. Louis and Baltimore.

If the Angels, Astros, Marlins et al complain, "Proud to be Your Bud" can simply tell them, 'this is in the best interests of baseball. It's better for the fans who have to try to sit through 40 degree weather and it's better for the players. Less chance of injury and you'll get a better brand of baseball...'

No guarantees that even in those cities you might not run into some bad conditions, but the odds are even if that happens it won't be as long or as severe as in the Northern / Upper Midwest.

If they STILL complain Buddy-boy can tell them, "here's a check for X millions of dollars to help make up for your 'suffering..."

I tend to think that would alleviate their probelms with this.

It's not written in the Ten Commandments by the way, that MLB HAS to open in early April, for years they didn't open until the middle of the month. The owners certainly have the option to schedule double headers or day/night double headers if they choose to do so and start a few weeks later.

They can also (GOD FORBID!) decide to shorten the season back to 154 games if they wish and actually start the extended post season earlier too.

My point is there are viable options that baseball can take to help the folks who actually make this engine go, the fans, and help the players perform better.

Hard to hit a beach ball let alone a 95 mile an hour fastball when you can't feel your hands. I've tried and I suspect you have as well.

Lip

Hitmen77
04-19-2013, 03:39 PM

:reinsy:
I guarantee this won't happen to the Sox tonight. Happy?

Crestani
04-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Adam Dunn needs to hit in the bottom three.
In Charlotte..!!:angry:

TDog
04-19-2013, 05:58 PM
TDog:

I'll make an exception and actually address your comment.

Baseball can do what they did in the late 80's / early 90's. Play as many games as possible in warm weather / dome sites for the first few weeks of the season. That doesn't mean for example the Sox won't play some April games...they just won't play 16 of them....maybe six. Same for teams like the Tigers, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Phillies etc.

The teams that would host as much as possible the first two / three weeks would be:

Toronto (roof), Tampa Bay (roof), Seattle (roof), Texas, Angels, Houston (roof), Atlanta, Miami, Arizona (roof), Dodgers and San Diego.

You could also consider playing a few more home games in San Francisco, Cincinnati, Washington, St. Louis and Baltimore.

If the Angels, Astros, Marlins et al complain, "Proud to be Your Bud" can simply tell them, 'this is in the best interests of baseball. It's better for the fans who have to try to sit through 40 degree weather and it's better for the players. Less chance of injury and you'll get a better brand of baseball...'

No guarantees that even in those cities you might not run into some bad conditions, but the odds are even if that happens it won't be as long or as severe as in the Northern / Upper Midwest.

If they STILL complain Buddy-boy can tell them, "here's a check for X millions of dollars to help make up for your 'suffering..."

I tend to think that would alleviate their probelms with this.

It's not written in the Ten Commandments by the way, that MLB HAS to open in early April, for years they didn't open until the middle of the month. The owners certainly have the option to schedule double headers or day/night double headers if they choose to do so and start a few weeks later.

They can also (GOD FORBID!) decide to shorten the season back to 154 games if they wish and actually start the extended post season earlier too.

My point is there are viable options that baseball can take to help the folks who actually make this engine go, the fans, and help the players perform better.

Hard to hit a beach ball let alone a 95 mile an hour fastball when you can't feel your hands. I've tried and I suspect you have as well.

Lip

Imagine how the Rangers felt playing some and being postponed some in Chicago this week.

Chicago is a two-team city. Somebody is going to have to play or at least be scheduled to play in cold weather. It's the same as it's always been. In 1970, I sat through a scheduled double-header on April 12, the first Sunday of the season, and it was quite cold. (As I recall, the Cubs were in Montreal that weekend and Apollo 13 was up in space.) I've read that even the first day the American League played games in 1901, the season didn't start until April 25, and Chicago was the only city in the league where it was dry enough and warm enough to play games.

For that matter, I attended quite a few May White Sox games in my youth when a winter coat failed to keep me sufficiently warm. It is true that a Chicago columnist wrote after the 1975 season that it was inevitable the Sox would leave Chicago before the 1976 season for reasons that included the need to schedule so many April baseball games in Chicago. It isn't true that the White-Sox-hating-conspiring-schedule-makers screwing the White Sox. The issue is their geography.

But you should probably send your unrealistic ideas to the commisioner's office and complain that Bud Selig is an idiot when you get nothing but a form letter in return.

If you're watching the game in your living room hundreds of miles away, it shouldn't be such as big deal.

DSpivack
04-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Imagine how the Rangers felt playing some and being postponed some in Chicago this week.

Chicago is a two-team city. Somebody is going to have to play or at least be scheduled to play in cold weather. It's the same as it's always been. In 1970, I sat through a scheduled double-header on April 12, the first Sunday of the season, and it was quite cold. (As I recall, the Cubs were in Montreal that weekend and Apollo 13 was up in space.) I've read that even the first day the American League played games in 1901, the season didn't start until April 25, and Chicago was the only city in the league where it was dry enough and warm enough to play games.

For that matter, I attended quite a few May White Sox games in my youth when a winter coat failed to keep me sufficiently warm. It is true that a Chicago columnist wrote after the 1975 season that it was inevitable the Sox would leave Chicago before the 1976 season for reasons that included the need to schedule so many April baseball games in Chicago. It isn't true that the White-Sox-hating-conspiring-schedule-makers screwing the White Sox. The issue is their geography.

But you should probably send your unrealistic ideas to the commisioner's office and complain that Bud Selig is an idiot when you get nothing but a form letter in return.

If you're watching the game in your living room hundreds of miles away, it shouldn't be such as big deal.

One of the coldest baseball games I remember attending was on Memorial Day, 2002 or 2003, I want to say. At Wrigley. 1-0 game in 16 innings. Raw, cold windy day, I think the wind chills were in the 30s.

There is no getting around Chicago weather. Sometimes it's cold in April, sometimes it's even cool in May. Deal with it.

SI1020
04-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Baseball will never go back to scheduling more April home games in warmer weather cities. I seem to recall those teams complaining loudly about losing important home dates in the heat of a pennant race. That ship isn't going to sail again. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing the season start if not two weeks, then one week later and have doubleheaders scheduled. Shortening the season to 154 games and winding up the post season by the end of the third week in October would be great too. It won't happen.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Baseball will never go back to scheduling more April home games in warmer weather cities. I seem to recall those teams complaining loudly about losing important home dates in the heat of a pennant race. That ship isn't going to sail again. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing the season start if not two weeks, then one week later and have doubleheaders scheduled. Shortening the season to 154 games and winding up the post season by the end of the third week in October would be great too. It won't happen.

Year-round interleague play makes this easier to do, though.

TDog
04-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Year-round interleague play makes this easier to do, though.

Really, it doesn't. The Cubs couldn't play the Rangers in Texas this week because they don't play the Rangers in Texas this year. Changing that would require cascading changes to other teams' schedules. Interleague play and unbalanced schedules, with teams playing more games against division opponents, makes scheduling more complicated. From the 1970s into the 1990s, the American League had a balanced schedule. That provided more scheduling flexibility (although the 1977 White Sox began the season by losing two of three outside in Toronto).

And having one Chicago team on the road and one at home at any given time, one Los Angeles-area team at home and one on the road at any given time etc. simply adds to the complication. The Dodgers were postponed tonight, but it wasn't because they were playing in Chicago while Detroit was in Anaheim. They were rained out in Baltimore.

doublem23
04-20-2013, 07:57 AM

Yes and yes. Let's also be real, if the MLB adopted such a ridiculously stupid plan like only playing early season games in domes or warm climates, there would be certain posters on this board whining about the grand MLB conspiracy against the Sox for having to go head-to-head with the Cubs for ticket sales in the summer months. So it is what it is.

Of the 7 dates the Sox have had home games so far this year, I think that 4 of them, the Opening Day temperature was at least 50 degrees, if not 60, and it's been sunny for almost all of them. It's going to be near 60 degrees here tomorrow and 50+ for the rest of the week. Apparently some people just forget what life is like here when they move away, I guess?

Paulwny
04-20-2013, 12:52 PM

I've also heard that many of those teams feel they would be penalized for losing home games in the summer when attendance increases because schools are no longer in session.