PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-17 two wins in a row in Toronto? postgamer

DumpJerry
04-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Judge Landis is conducting an investigation.

LITTLE NELL
04-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Win tomorrow and come home .500 and go from there.

voodoochile
Nice to have an easy one, especially in Toronto...

:soxwin:

:)

thomas35forever
Love relaxing wins.

Jurr
04-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Here's the deal:

Quintana is a PRO. If he can keep up a consistent level of strong pitching, this staff will lead the team to the playoffs. PERIOD.

Sale, Quintana, and Peavy can hold a game tight for the offense.
If Danks can return as Danks, this turns into a team of pitching.

The offense can just bang out a couple of homers and win. It sucks to have an offense built in such ways, but whatever.

Quintana looks like the goods. If he retains that excellence, this team will compete. They NEED three starters capable of being dominant on any given night because the offense is not that great. Two won't get it. Three will.

CoopaLoop
04-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Sup offense?

Zakath
04-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Well, that'll bring the ERA down to a respectable number for Jose. Only got in any trouble in the third and the fifth, and both times was able to get Melky to end the inning.

Hopefully Sale gives us seven strong tomorrow to end the road trip on a positive note.

shingo10
04-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Beautiful relaxing win. Very rare in the last couple of seasons.

2 games back with 5 and 1/2 months to play!

Think we're in alright shape.

Boondock Saint
04-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Sup offense?

Gurl, you're looking fine tonight.

Bucky F. Dent
04-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Here's the deal:

Quintana is a PRO. If he can keep up a consistent level of strong pitching, this staff will lead the team to the playoffs. PERIOD.

Sale, Quintana, and Peavy can hold a game tight for the offense.
If Danks can return as Danks, this turns into a team of pitching.

The offense can just bang out a couple of homers and win. It sucks to have an offense built in such ways, but whatever.

Quintana looks like the goods. If he retains that excellence, this team will compete. They NEED three starters capable of being dominant on any given night because the offense is not that great. Two won't get it. Three will.

I hope you're right Jurr. Otherwise this season is over before Memorial Day.

Brian26
04-17-2013, 09:06 PM
If they win tomorrow, they come home 4-6 on the trip.

That's amazing, because a few days ago it felt like they were going to go 0-19 on this trip.

TDog
04-17-2013, 09:12 PM
The Sox did so many good things on offense tonight that it's easy to overlook how well Quintana pitched. I think the Jays only got one runner in scoring position with less than two outs, and he didn't break down in the two-out situations. Quintana basically shut the Jays down three times through the order. Fortunately, the Sox scored early and added runs to put the game out of reach by the time the bullpen was needed.

On one hand, most of the runs were driven in by home runs. But the first home run would have driven in two runs with two outs even if the ballpark had held it. Scoring three run after the first two hitters are retired was huge. Scoring on two sacrifice flies in the seventh to extend a lead after six is how you win ballgames.

A good night for Flowers with a couple of hits and Ramirez with a couple of hits and Viciedo with a couple of hits. A great night for Quintana.

Not so much for Colby Rasmus.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2013, 09:23 PM
First what I consider 'complete' win of the season. Had good offense, solid defense and excellent pitching.

Well done.

Lip

Irishsox1
04-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Do we have any other options for third base other than Kepplinger and Morel?

TomBradley72
04-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Gillespie

Soxman219
04-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Sox won 3 out of their last 4. MORE POSITIVITY!:D:

Tragg
04-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Quintana is very good. Good stuff, good control. Ventura over-pitched these guys (esp Sale) last year. Just use the pen and they should be good in September.

voodoochile
04-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Quintana is very good. Good stuff, good control. Ventura over-pitched these guys (esp Sale) last year. Just use the pen and they should be good in September.

And the Sox have an incredibly deep pen and that's before we factor in Axelrod assuming Danks eventually comes back.

Railsplitter
04-17-2013, 10:01 PM
:bandance::bandance:

Good. Let's start a winning streak so I can put up a chorus ine of dancing bananas

asindc
04-17-2013, 10:29 PM
The Sox did so many good things on offense tonight that it's easy to overlook how well Quintana pitched. I think the Jays only got one runner in scoring position with less than two outs, and he didn't break down in the two-out situations. Quintana basically shut the Jays down three times through the order. Fortunately, the Sox scored early and added runs to put the game out of reach by the time the bullpen was needed.

On one hand, most of the runs were driven in by home runs. But the first home run would have driven in two runs with two outs even if the ballpark had held it. Scoring three run after the first two hitters are retired was huge. Scoring on two sacrifice flies in the seventh to extend a lead after six is how you win ballgames.

A good night for Flowers with a couple of hits and Ramirez with a couple of hits and Viciedo with a couple of hits. A great night for Quintana.

Not so much for Colby Rasmus.

I see what you did there.

Brian26
04-17-2013, 10:48 PM
And the Sox have an incredibly deep pen and that's before we factor in Axelrod assuming Danks eventually comes back.

Axelrod apparently has a mental issue with coming out of the pen. This was documented a couple of weeks ago in the Trib, and it is somewhat backed up by his numbers last year. If he has time to prepare for a team (ie the Yankees and Red Sox starts last year), he has potential to do well. When he comes out of the pen on short rest or with little preparation, his performance has suffered.

Zakath
04-17-2013, 10:53 PM

He just can't overuse the pen either, especially with no scheduled off-days until the 29th.

ChiSoxGal85
04-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Not too much to complain about in that game - an all-around winner. :bandance:

LoveYourSuit
04-17-2013, 11:32 PM

The guy has been boyond awful. Biggest dissapointment to me so far this year. Cannot continue to send him up there in the 2 hole. Problem is, who do you hit 2nd? Don't want Alexei there either. We have seen that movie already, besides, he is having his best April ever. Don't mess with that.

Gillespie in the 2 hole?

cards press box
04-17-2013, 11:54 PM
If they win tomorrow, they come home 4-6 on the trip.

That's amazing, because a few days ago it felt like they were going to go 0-19 on this trip.

Couldn't agree with this more. A win tomorrow would make the best of what appeared to be a very bad situation.

As for tonight,

:winner

doublem23
04-18-2013, 07:42 AM
The guy has been boyond awful. Biggest dissapointment to me so far this year. Cannot continue to send him up there in the 2 hole. Problem is, who do you hit 2nd? Don't want Alexei there either. We have seen that movie already, besides, he is having his best April ever. Don't mess with that.

Gillespie in the 2 hole?

It's been 15 games, don't be crazy

kittle42
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
It's been 15 games, don't be crazy

I used to defend Adam Dunn, but 15 games (plus two seasons) is enough for me to be sick of him. Did anyone think he would drive someone in during that low-pressure late-game situation?

doublem23
04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
I used to defend Adam Dunn, but 15 games (plus two seasons) is enough for me to be sick of him. Did anyone think he would drive someone in during that low-pressure late-game situation?

Yeah but we're talking about Keppinger

kittle42
04-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah but we're talking about Keppinger

I know. Just blowing off steam.

doublem23
04-18-2013, 09:58 AM
I know. Just blowing off steam.

Oh, I got that, I'm not going to defend Dunn, Viciedo, or Flowers who have really no established track record of production at this point, so I'm basing what little hope I have for any of them, I know, on faith and prayers.

Keppinger, though, his last three years has hit .296/.341/.402 which is more than adequate for a 2nd baseman.

hawkjt
04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Alexei,Alex,and PK continue to carry the team offensively with good recent help from Dayan and last nite..Tyler!

Jose Quintana continues to impress. He has really had one bad inning the whole season,otherwise very solid.
His curve showed up last nite. He is adding to his mix and pitching to the outside corner more,and up. Really love his mound presence.
His only real flaw is when he has to go out of the stretch...it takes away from that deceptive hitch delivery,and the first time he is out of the stretch is always danger time for him.

If he keeps guys off base early,gets a lead, he can roll.

Whitesox029
04-18-2013, 01:32 PM
It seems to me the Toronto troubles have lessened in the last 2 or 3 years. It seemed like toward the end of the last decade they went 5 or 6 years without splitting or winning a series in that ****hole.
Now I have to go check baseball reference...

JB98
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
It seems to me the Toronto troubles have lessened in the last 2 or 3 years. It seemed like toward the end of the last decade they went 5 or 6 years without splitting or winning a series in that ****hole.
Now I have to go check baseball reference...

The Sox have won five of their last six games in Toronto.

doublem23
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
The Sox have won five of their last six games in Toronto.

yeah, but from 2007-2011, the Sox went 4-16 in Toronto including back-to-back 4-game sweeps by the Jays in 2008 and 2009

JB98
04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
yeah, but from 2007-2011, the Sox went 4-16 in Toronto including back-to-back 4-game sweeps by the Jays in 2008 and 2009

I know. I'm just confirming the previous poster's suspicion that the Sox troubles in Toronto have lessened the last couple years.

doublem23
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I know. I'm just confirming the previous poster's suspicion that the Sox troubles in Toronto have lessened the last couple years.

http://simplethalthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/buddy-christ.jpg

I gotcha

Tragg
04-18-2013, 03:43 PM

Gillespie in the 2 hole?

Is Gillespie driving the ball, or are his grounders just doinking through and pop ups falling in front of outfielders? The inverse question re Keppinger. A little early to shake it up significantly. Keppinger isn't all that good anyway, so there was no reason to expect a lot at any point. And because he isn't much to begin with, some pt for Gillespie makes sense from that regard.