PDA

View Full Version : Flustered

palehosemike
07-31-2002, 09:11 PM
Driving home tonight all I heard on talk radio was that you can expect next year for the Sox to be a wash due to amount of inexperienced players that will line the roster.

Personally I think that the next FEW years could be a wash for the Sox. The reason why is that for those players we have traded away, Kenny Williams has accumulated mostly single A arms. Even if some of these "prospects" make it past single A ball, very few if not any will make it to the Show.

I know there are some of you out there that think the Sox might go out next year and sign some free agents..... Don't hold your breath guys! Jerry Cheapsdorf will not pull the trigger on signing legitimate free agents. Of the current top ten pitchers in MLB here is a list of those we are free agents next year:
Greg Maddux - 2002 salary - $12.5 million
Tom Glavine - 2002 salary - $8 million
Jamie Moyer - 2002 salary - $7 million

Do you really think Cheapsdorf will dish out that type of money for a 36 y/o Maddux or Glavine or a 40 y/o Moyer? Doubt it....

Finally for those out there who feel we can get some help from down on the farm - FORGET ABOUT IT - Guys like Kris Honel and Rocye Ring are a few years away. As for positonal players - besides Borchard they are all up in Chicago - What you see is what you get Sox fans.

All we can hope for is that Rowand, Crede, Harris, and Borchard mature quickly into savy veterans. The only other positional player on the farm that could break through soon would be Hummel or Jimenez.

*SIGH* I can remember that ball hitting off Kelly Wunsch in 2000 and thinking to myself, "Well we have a solid core and a fully stocked farm system." "The Sox are in a fantastic position to make a run for a championship." What the heck happened?

A FLUSTERED Palehosemike

LongDistanceFan
07-31-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by palehosemike
*SIGH* I can remember that ball hitting off Kelly Wunsch in 2000 and thinking to myself, "Well we have a solid core and a fully stocked farm system." "The Sox are in a fantastic position to make a run for a championship." What the heck happened?

the name of kw took control of the team.