PDA

View Full Version : *Official* C'mon, 4-15 Guys Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
04-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Sorry Mark, but we needed you to be kinder to us.

LoveYourSuit
04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
The half dozen apologists which still remain out there will say Gavin did keep the Sox in the game today.

They need to realize how deflating it is for a team to jump out to a 2-0 lead and then watch their starting pitcher give it right back.

Gavin needs to be bounced off this rotation last week (or like 2 years ago).

Another $9+ million down the trash. Why not.

Hartman
04-15-2013, 09:52 PM
I want to root for Gavin but can't

DSpivack
04-15-2013, 09:55 PM
This Buehrle guy looks pretty good!

WhiteSox5187
I saw a tweet that hit the nail on the head about the White Sox offense, it is not designed to put together rallies. Dunn swung at ball four tonight, Tyler Flowers was up there swinging 3-0 at one point. It's going to be a loooooooong year.

Soxman219
Man, this team so far is SO FRUSTRATING!:angry: This might be a long summer.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Gavin Floyd = Not good. Nine hits AND three walks in less than five innings.

Offense = Even worse. 2 for 7 RISP. Mark allows nine hits AND three walks yet only allows two runs. PATHETIC.

For the season 12 for 80 .150

Given the way the Sox have played in Toronto the past few years this road trip could turn out to be a disaster.

Lip

DrCrawdad
04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
The half dozen apologists which still remain out there will say Gavin did keep the Sox in the game today.

They need to realize how deflating it is for a team to jump out to a 2-0 lead and then watch their starting pitcher give it right back.

Gavin needs to be bounced off this rotation last week (or like 2 years ago).

Another $9+ million down the trash. Why not.

I want to root for Gavin but can't

Outside of Gavin's immediate family, who could still be an apologist for him? Heck, I think even Gavin's immediate family might be turning against him at this point.

Woofer
04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Well, at least we got to see Buehrle pitch tonight.

thomas35forever
04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Given the way the Sox have played in Toronto the past few years this road trip could turn out to be a disaster.

Lip
If it's not a disaster now, I'm amazed.

thomas35forever
04-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Outside of Gavin's immediate family, who could still be an apologist for him? Heck, I think even Gavin's immediate family might be turning against him at this point.
I've called for him to be moved to the bullpen as early as last year, probably before that. What we see is what we get though. Too bad he's quickly regressing.

LoveYourSuit

No he did not. He's meatballs. 29 other teams including the Astros would have crushed him tonight.

The Sox just suck.

mzh
It appears that I picked the right summer to spend 9 weeks without computers, phones, television, and minimal contact with the outside world.

cv sox fan
04-15-2013, 10:00 PM
kind? this team is pathetic. Gavin needs to go I'm tired of watching him throw spinning breaking balls. this guys are lousy hitters. they watched 89 mph fastballs right over the plate and swing at pitches to of the zone.there is no hustle what so ever.we need new everything from owners to upper management,announcers,players lets bring up class a players,its gonna be along season and ill be dammed if i go spend money on this product.

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2013, 10:01 PM
No he did not. He's meatballs. 29 other teams including the Astros would have crushed him tonight.

The Sox just suck.

Well...maybe not the Astros. Buehrle didn't have much tonight but you don't need much to shut down the White Sox. I do hope that Buehrle is able to turn it around and have a great year.

Over By There
04-15-2013, 10:07 PM

You can count Rongey on the post game show just now.

RKMeibalane
04-15-2013, 10:09 PM

Yeah, I wish he played for the White Sox. Oh, wait...

:reinsy

"Just win and lose (mostly lose) with glee, and never complain."

LoveYourSuit
04-15-2013, 10:10 PM
You can count Rongey on the post game show just now.

He's the David Kaplan of the Sox. You will never hear that guy have a critical opinion about the Sox or anything negative to say about a player.

thomas35forever
04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
kind? this team is pathetic. Gavin needs to go I'm tired of watching him throw spinning breaking balls. this guys are lousy hitters. they watched 89 mph fastballs right over the plate and swing at pitches to of the zone.there is no hustle what so ever.we need new everything from owners to upper management,announcers,players lets bring up class a players,its gonna be along season and ill be dammed if i go spend money on this product.
Time to Cell, whoops, sell.

kruzer31
04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
It's a bad team. DeAza can't hit off speed pitches down and in, Dunn, Flowers, and Viciedo might strike out 600 times, literally, and pitching is sub par. Hello 2007. Bring up ole Andy Gonzalez

Jeff

RKMeibalane
04-15-2013, 10:13 PM
He's the David Kaplan of the Sox. You will never hear that guy have a critical opinion about the Sox or anything negative to say about a player.

That's nothing new. I don't know much about Rongey, but Hawk has only been critical of the White Sox whenever Reinsdorf has allowed him to be. In fact, if Hawk is being critical of the Sox, it's bad news for the Sox, because it usually means Reinsdorf is upset with them.

Goes in here ----------------> :reinsy

Comes out here -------------> :hawk

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
It's a bad team. DeAza can't hit off speed pitches down and in, Dunn, Flowers, and Viciedo might strike out 600 times, literally, and pitching is sub par. Hello 2007. Bring up ole Andy Gonzalez

Jeff

The 2007 team was at least riddled with injuries which forced their hand a little, this team has only lost Beckham and is still God awful.

RKMeibalane
Time to Cell, whoops, sell.

:reinsy

"Your thoughts?"

Brian26

The Sox should have scored six or seven runs off Buehrle in the first inning. He had nothing. They let him off the hook, Floyd gave the runs right back, and Buehrle settled into a groove.

shingo10
04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Well...maybe not the Astros. Buehrle didn't have much tonight but you don't need much to shut down the White Sox. I do hope that Buehrle is able to turn it around and have a great year.

Therein lies the magic of Buehrle...he doesn't have great stuff but 1) he is a great competitor and 2) he has his head on right. doesn't matter if he gets in trouble he just keeps trying to get outs instead of panicking and trying to do too much.

Love watching him pitch and he threw many games just like this when he was with the Sox. I remember against Pittsburgh in 09 he gave up like 13 hits but only 1 run. Miss ya Mark. Best of luck for the rest of way. Except against us.

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
The Sox should have scored six or seven runs off Buehrle in the first inning. He had nothing. They let him off the hook, Floyd gave the runs right back, and Buehrle settled into a groove.

I missed the first inning but Frank was saying that Buehrle made an adjustment. He realized the Sox were sitting on his change up so he started throwing more cutters and fastballs away THEN went to the change up. Buehrle also got lucky because the only hitters we have that will make adjustments are Konerko and Rios.

Brian26
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
That's nothing new. I don't know much about Rongey, but Hawk has only been critical of the White Sox whenever Reinsdorf has allowed him to be. In fact, if Hawk is being critical of the Sox, it's bad news for the Sox, because it usually means Reinsdorf is upset with them.

Hawk and Stone were about as critical of the team as I have ever heard them, and it was actually refreshing and entertaining. They both called Tyler Green getting picked off first a moment before it happened, and then they both wondered outloud how the hell that could happen when Buehrle pitched on the Sox for 12 years and is one of the best pickoff men in history. I know the coaching staff has turned over, but come on.

kruzer31
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
The 2007 team was at least riddled with injuries which forced their hand a little, this team has only lost Beckham and is still God awful.

Sadly, I also believe Robin's heart is just not in it. I believe he quits after this year. Why else would he turn down an extension?

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Hawk and Stone were about as critical of the team as I have ever heard them, and it was actually refreshing and entertaining. They both called Tyler Green getting picked off first a moment before it happened, and then they both wondered outloud how the hell that could happen when Buehrle pitched on the Sox for 12 years and is one of the best pickoff men in history. I know the coaching staff has turned over, but come on.

I don't really know what a first base coach does, but if Harold Baines was still the first base coach I wonder if that happens. I'm sure Daryl Boston mentioned that Buehrle has a great pick off move but Baines might have reinforced it a bit.

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Sadly, I also believe Robin's heart is just not in it. I believe he quits after this year. Why else would he turn down an extension?

A manager is only as good as his players. The way this team is playing right now, they would make John McGraw look bad.

Hitmen77
04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
#MAKEANIMPACT --> :thud:

amsteel
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
This offense is gonna lose a bunch of 1 run games.

They keep playing like this Rios and PK are gone.

TaylorStSox
04-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Therein lies the magic of Buehrle...he doesn't have great stuff but 1) he is a great competitor and 2) he has his head on right. doesn't matter if he gets in trouble he just keeps trying to get outs instead of panicking and trying to do too much.

Love watching him pitch and he threw many games just like this when he was with the Sox. I remember against Pittsburgh in 09 he gave up like 13 hits but only 1 run. Miss ya Mark. Best of luck for the rest of way. Except against us.
Therein lies the myth of Buehrle...he always had good stuff, he just didn't throw hard. His change and curve could be downright nasty at times.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel because, potentially, this team has some pretty good hitters. They sure are trying to prove me wrong though.

kruzer31
04-15-2013, 10:47 PM

A manager is only as good as his players. The way this team is playing right now, they would make John McGraw look bad.

Never said he was a bad manager, he just isn't into it

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Never said he was a bad manager, he just isn't into it

I cannot think of a manager that "wasn't into it" that was good. I think it looks like he isn't into it because his team is so bad but I have no way of knowing one way or the other.

amsteel
04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
I cannot think of a manager that "wasn't into it" that was good. I think it looks like he isn't into it because his team is so bad but I have no way of knowing one way or the other.

I think he's just bummed out by a ****ty team, but did he have aspirations of being a manager or did the Sox just call him up one day? If my former employer called me up and wanted me to run the joint, I'd say yes, even if I wasn't interested in doing it before.

Falstaff
04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Before long it'll be time to swap Peavy and Sale for a farm system.

DSpivack
04-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Before long it'll be time to swap Peavy and Sale for a farm system.

Peavy and perhaps Rios and/or Konerko, yes.

Sale, no.

blandman
04-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Peavy and perhaps Rios and/or Konerko, yes.

Sale, no.

Be hard to trade Sale after his last start. He was down what, 10mph on his fastball? Yeah. He's not injured.

TomBradley72
04-16-2013, 07:44 AM

His team does not seem as well prepared and as focused as they were last season.

I agree that Floyd and the offense was disappointing-but with some decent fundamentals they STILL should have been at least tied late in the game-

Dunn lets what looked like a playable ball down the line clang off his glove
De Aza can't get to a playable fly ball off the wall
De Aza misses cut off man- turning double into a triple
Green gets picked off 1st by MB- where the hell was Daryl Boston?
Do the Sox still take infield on the road like last year?

This DOES seem like 2007 all over again- Viciedo seems to be regressing at both the plate and in LF, De Aza looks like a 4th OF- not a starter/lead off hitter, Rios and Gillespie are playing well, TCM off to a good starting hitting, but can't get a bunt down, Dunn is just EPIC bad- and has been for his entire Sox career (exlcuding April/May of 2012), PK looks like age is getting to him, Flowers is a AAAA catcher, and Floyd/Axelrod are not in the rotation of a contender.

No help on the way at Charlotte or Birmingham.

Yuck.

LITTLE NELL
04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
His team does not seem as well prepared and as focused as they were last season.

I agree that Floyd and the offense was disappointing-but with some decent fundamentals they STILL should have been at least tied late in the game-

This DOES seem like 2007 all over again- Viciedo seems to be regressing at both the plate and in LF, De Aza looks like a 4th OF- not a starter/lead off hitter, Rios and Gillespie are playing well, TCM off to a good starting hitting, but can't get a bunt down, Dunn is just EPIC bad- and has been for his entire Sox career (exlcuding April/May of 2012), PK looks like age is getting to him, Flowers is a AAAA catcher, and Floyd/Axelrod are not in the rotation of a contender.

Yuck.

Makes me want to cry.

doublem23
04-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Be hard to trade Sale after his last start. He was down what, 10mph on his fastball? Yeah. He's not injured.

4 mph

Procol Harum
04-16-2013, 09:41 AM
I don't know what some of you guys are complaining about--three runs without the benefit of a home run is a banner night of production for this lineup... :rolleyes:

delben91
04-16-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't know what some of you guys are complaining about--three runs without the benefit of a home run is a banner night of production for this lineup... :rolleyes:

And 2-7 with RISP is an improvement as well! Here comes the hot streak!!!!

:(:

BainesHOF
04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
If we can't hit the last two starting pitchers we've faced, then who are we going to hit? Really, really pathetic.

The lack of walks we've taken is amateurish.

I said that Floyd was the key member of the team this season. So far, he has been terrible and so has the team. Floyd has certainly had help, but he's really let the team down. It's ridiculous that he can't pitch decently in at least half his starts.

The team looks woefully unprepared. I hope Hahn has a short list of managers. He may need it soon.

Carolina Kenny
04-16-2013, 10:43 AM

Yuck.

If the Sox just eat the money and release Dunn, I promise to go to at least (8) games this year. With Dunn and those stupid ass music videos, I will be going to only (1) game this year, only because I promised my kids.
This Sox team is not an enjoyable bunch to watch. Pitching has not been as good as advertised. Defense has been spotty. Hitting just bad. Superstars? Only Rios and he most likely will be traded.
Saving money with stupid player videos instead of professionally produced videos like the " Sox History" video, smacks of a el cheapo organization.
I am Sox fan since 1957. I have seen this movie before and it blows.

SI1020
04-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Makes me want to cry. Me too. TB72 is painfully accurate.

blandman
04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
4 mph

I was looking at 88-89 all day. Did he top out higher?

doublem23
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
I was looking at 88-89 all day. Did he top out higher?

His average fastball was 89 MPH this weekend, 4 MPH slower than his average fastball over the 2012 season

blandman
04-16-2013, 11:26 AM
His average fastball was 89 MPH this weekend, 4 MPH slower than his average fastball over the 2012 season

His average last year was 93? That's a lot lower than I thought it was, considering in most starts he's hitting a lot higher. Maybe it's the gun?

TomBradley72
04-16-2013, 11:33 AM
If the Sox just eat the money and release Dunn, I promise to go to at least (8) games this year. With Dunn and those stupid ass music videos, I will be going to only (1) game this year, only because I promised my kids.
This Sox team is not an enjoyable bunch to watch. Pitching has not been as good as advertised. Defense has been spotty. Hitting just bad. Superstars? Only Rios and he most likely will be traded.
Saving money with stupid player videos instead of professionally produced videos like the " Sox History" video, smacks of a el cheapo organization.
I am Sox fan since 1957. I have seen this movie before and it blows.

I'm with you- I never liked the Dunn signing to begin with- I'm not a fan of big, long term contracts for DH's- you can usually find an NL player who wants to extend his career by a few years or other cheaper options.

IF there were reports that Dunn worked out tirelessly in the off season to get in the best shape of his life,etc.- I'd be willing to give him a chance. But I've never really seen that in him- he's a Home Run/Walk/Strike Out guy who could hit in the .240's in the NL- but between the AL + age- he's become useless.

Other than two months in early 2012 when he hit in the .230's- the rest of it has been complete crap- all of 2011, 4/6 months in 2012 and so far in 2013.

Jerko
04-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Why is Dunn playing first so much? It's not like it's helping his hitting. I know that's minor but at least look like you're putting your best foot forward guys.

amsteel
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Viciedo seems to be regressing at both the plate and in LF, De Aza looks like a 4th OF- not a starter/lead off hitter, Rios and Gillespie are playing well, TCM off to a good starting hitting, but can't get a bunt down, Dunn is just EPIC bad- and has been for his entire Sox career (exlcuding April/May of 2012), PK looks like age is getting to him, Flowers is a AAAA catcher, and Floyd/Axelrod are not in the rotation of a contender.

The worst part of all of this is that aside from Viciedo and Gillespie, just about anyone on this board knew that all of these things were gonna happen.

I find the predictability in the team to be the most frustrating part.

ChiSoxGal85
04-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Why is Dunn playing first so much? It's not like it's helping his hitting. I know that's minor but at least look like you're putting your best foot forward guys.

I recall Ventura saying he thought it might help Dunn at the plate to play the field more. Um, yeah. I'd rather see Konerko at 1st.

This team is really frustrating to watch right now. So far it reminds me much of 2011, during which I was known to throw stuffed dog toys at my TV in frustration. :(: I probably should hide the new elk antler I bought for my dog from myself, at least for a while.

Carolina Kenny
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm with you- I never liked the Dunn signing to begin with- I'm not a fan of big, long term contracts for DH's- you can usually find an NL player who wants to extend his career by a few years or other cheaper options.

IF there were reports that Dunn worked out tirelessly in the off season to get in the best shape of his life,etc.- I'd be willing to give him a chance. But I've never really seen that in him- he's a Home Run/Walk/Strike Out guy who could hit in the .240's in the NL- but between the AL + age- he's become useless.

Other than two months in early 2012 when he hit in the .230's- the rest of it has been complete crap- all of 2011, 4/6 months in 2012 and so far in 2013.

Tom, yes it's been beaten to death, but daggmit Dunn just stinks so much in so many ways. True, why give a LTC to a freaking DH? A stupid waste of resources. When I am reduced to only rooting for anyone, someone to "make an impact" ( hey Brooks, another inane, stupid slogan you are so good at), then just blow up this mess including Brooks, ownership etc. and start over. While the Cubs spin their wheels on the field these past several years, the Sox are not taking over this town like they could. In a few years when eventually the Cubs field a decent team, the Sox will be sucking hind breast as usual.

Carneyman14
04-16-2013, 12:06 PM
I blame the changing of the stripe on the grey pants :angry:

TomBradley72
04-16-2013, 12:19 PM
I blame the changing of the stripe on the grey pants :angry:

Wrong!

Not playing BA in Game #2 of the 2006 season
Removing he diamond patch from the jerseys
Nancy Faust retiring
Changing the pre-game montage
Not replacing McCuddy's
Losing John Rooney to St. Louis
Schueler hanging on to Scott Ruffcorn too long
LaRussa left Britt Burns in too long
LeMont couldn't figure out what to do with Bell/Jackson/Pasqua

RKMeibalane
04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Wrong!

Not playing BA in Game #2 of the 2006 season
Removing he diamond patch from the jerseys
Nancy Faust retiring
Changing the pre-game montage
Not replacing McCuddy's
Losing John Rooney to St. Louis
Schueler hanging on to Scott Ruffcorn too long
LaRussa left Britt Burns in too long
LeMont couldn't figure out what to do with Bell/Jackson/Pasqua

George Bell was mediocre during his tenure with the Sox, although he did lead the team in home runs during the 1992 season. Bo Jackson was a shell of the player he had been with the Royals due to his hip injury. Dan Pasqua was an absolute joke (and of course, Hawk loved him). I remember him only playing well against the Yankees: he was useless against everyone else. His most memorable White Sox moment involved that mysterious package filled with drug paraphernalia being delivered to his house.

TomBradley72
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
George Bell was mediocre during his tenure with the Sox, although he did lead the team in home runs during the 1992 season. Bo Jackson was a shell of the player he had been with the Royals due to his hip injury. Dan Pasqua was an absolute joke (and of course, Hawk loved him). I remember him only playing well against the Yankees: he was useless against everyone else. His most memorable White Sox moment involved that mysterious package filled with drug paraphernalia being delivered to his house.

I remember Pasqua missing a throw from the left side of the infield during a day game in TOR series- lost the throw in the "glare" of the blue seats.

JB98
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
His average last year was 93? That's a lot lower than I thought it was, considering in most starts he's hitting a lot higher. Maybe it's the gun?

Sale didn't have a good breaking ball on Saturday. That's why he got shelled.

beasly213
04-16-2013, 01:37 PM
To think... I was excited for baseball to be back. 81 wins here we come!

hawkjt
04-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Dunn has to go back to being patient...he only has 2 walks.
Sox have an on base of .279?

Glad its early.

doublem23
04-16-2013, 02:37 PM

That is what Pitch F/X says

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/player_cards/player_card.php?player=519242#vel

blandman
04-16-2013, 02:46 PM
That is what Pitch F/X says

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/player_cards/player_card.php?player=519242#vel

Interesting, especially since the gun at the cell has him a lot higher most of the time.

4mph is a lot of velocity to lose still. He's essentially throwing at Buehrle speeds. He doesn't have Buehrle's control and only throws three pitches. He can't be effective like that. If he's not hurt and throwing 88-89 is gonna be what he does some starts, he's not going to be an effective pitcher. At least without learning and mastering a few more pitches.

SI1020
04-16-2013, 03:19 PM
This is from early last year and I believe it is for the average speed of the listed pitchers fastball.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/24/stephen-strasburg-david-price-are-this-years-hardest-throwers/

slavko
04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Gavin Floyd = Not good. Nine hits AND three walks in less than five innings.

Offense = Even worse. 2 for 7 RISP. Mark allows nine hits AND three walks yet only allows two runs. PATHETIC.

For the season 12 for 80 .150

Lip

Sounds like an improvement to me.

Falstaff
04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Interesting, especially since the gun at the cell has him a lot higher most of the time.

4mph is a lot of velocity to lose still. He's essentially throwing at Buehrle speeds. He doesn't have Buehrle's control and only throws three pitches. He can't be effective like that. If he's not hurt and throwing 88-89 is gonna be what he does some starts, he's not going to be an effective pitcher. At least without learning and mastering a few more pitches.

All winter and spring training I have been begging White Sox and Chris Sale to work on offspeed junque. The writing was on wall last year. OK so maybe the knuckle curve is not the right one, but something really off-putting like forker, slurve, sloshball, palmball hesitation, etc could be devastating addition. Pay attn to Barry Zito.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Slavko:

Not an improvement in my opinon because of the circumstances surrounding the game. They could have put it away early and didn't, then add in the number of hits and walks Mark allowed and 2 for 7 is not good.

Lip

Hitmen77
04-16-2013, 07:53 PM
To think... I was excited for baseball to be back. 81 wins here we come!

You sound like an optimist to me.

ChiSoxGal85
04-16-2013, 08:11 PM
I was just flipping through my NewsBlur news feed and noticed this SI feed item from yesterday's game. Check out the heading (not sure what you call it - but it's the smaller heading above the main headline at the top of this feed item. (The image is really small - you'll have to click on it and open it separately in order to read it.)

someone still has Buehrle=White Sox on the brain.

RKMeibalane
04-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I was just flipping through my NewsBlur news feed and noticed this SI feed item from yesterday's game. Check out the heading (not sure what you call it - but it's the smaller heading above the main headline at the top of this feed item. (The image is really small - you'll have to click on it and open it separately in order to read it.)

someone still has Buehrle=White Sox on the brain.

Not to hijack the thread, but what did Hawk have to say about the Sox facing Buehrle?

JB98
04-17-2013, 02:36 AM
All winter and spring training I have been begging White Sox and Chris Sale to work on offspeed junque. The writing was on wall last year. OK so maybe the knuckle curve is not the right one, but something really off-putting like forker, slurve, sloshball, palmball hesitation, etc could be devastating addition. Pay attn to Barry Zito.

He has a devastating slider and a good changeup.