PDA

View Full Version : Where were YOU 5 years ago today?

Bisco Stu
07-31-2002, 08:10 PM
The "White Flag" trade. 7-31-97. Still convinced we would've went to the WS if we hadn't made that trade.

I was in a hotel room in Mountain View, CA preparing to see Phish. Of course, the local sports station was gleeful because the Gints had just picked up Alvarez and Hernandez.

I was in state of shock, bitter, etc.

A great Phish show cured that, but still, it's one of the darkest daze in ChiSox history.

Ventura's class in trying to rally the team with those T-Shirts will never be forgotten.

Huisj
07-31-2002, 08:14 PM
I had just hit a bucket of golf balls at the Lansing Golf Center and when me and my dad got back in the car, we heard in on the radio. at first i was shocked, but we were talking about it on the way home (my dad's a huge sox fan too) and we actually kind of decided it sort of made sense for some reason. I'm not exactly sure what our reasoning was at the time, but i remember not being too upset about it by the time we got home.

dang, I can't believe that was five years ago already!

doublem23
07-31-2002, 08:17 PM
I was in Wisconsin.

kevingrt
07-31-2002, 08:18 PM
I was sleeping, I had the flu, they're tough times

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-31-2002, 08:26 PM
Me? I was at work & drew everyone's attention when I cried out in shock upon hearing the news.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2002, 08:27 PM
I was in Columbus, Ohio, thankful there were no Flubs fans around to laugh at me.

BTW, if you tell anybody in Ohio you are a "Sox Fan", they immediately ask you a make-conversation question about Fenway Park.

Of course if you REALLY want to work them into a lather, mention the Michigan Wolverines.

:)

CiscoCarlos
07-31-2002, 08:32 PM
I heard it on a Cubs broadcast of all places, tuning into WGN from beautiful North Carolina. Harry Caray may have been senile by that time (may have?) but he still had enough wandering brain cells to be delirious with joy because he knew his arch-enemy Reinsdorf had made the ultimate bad PR move.

He kept on gurgling on about could Reinsdorf let the White Sox fans down, trading all these fine players with the team only 3 1/2 games back? Stone tried unsuccessfully to get him to change the subject, but it was to be Harry's theme throughout the entire broadcast.

CubKilla
07-31-2002, 08:32 PM
I had just returned home from work when my dad said, something along the line of, "That F'n Reinsdorf just traded away the whole F'n team!" And people wonder why my dad hasn't been to a game since the last strike. The "White Flag" trade took all the passion for White Sox baseball out of my dad. It did the same to me too..... for a time. I'm actually glad that guys like Crede and Harris are getting some big league playing time now, especially against the Twins now and Oakland, Seattle, Anaheim, and NYY in games upcoming.

rmusacch
07-31-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
The "White Flag" trade. 7-31-97. Still convinced we would've went to the WS if we hadn't made that trade.

I was in a hotel room in Mountain View, CA preparing to see Phish. Of course, the local sports station was gleeful because the Gints had just picked up Alvarez and Hernandez.

I was in state of shock, bitter, etc.

A great Phish show cured that, but still, it's one of the darkest daze in ChiSox history.

Ventura's class in trying to rally the team with those T-Shirts will never be forgotten.

I forgot what the shirts said. What did they say?

Bisco Stu
07-31-2002, 08:38 PM
Like I'm supposed to remember? J/K

Something like "We May Be Dumb Enough To Win This Thing" after the Sox stayed close after the trade.

Viva Magglio
07-31-2002, 09:16 PM
I know exactly where I was. I had just picked up some KFC in Crestwood and was at the intersection of Route 83 and 127th Street. I was listening to Dan McNeil and Terry Boers' Score remote when Fred Huebner had the breaking news "The White Sox have traded Wilson Alvarez, Roberto Hernandez, and Danny Darwin to the San Francisco Giants...for six minor leaugers." The whole crowd at the remote let out huge boos, and you know the rest.

34rancher
07-31-2002, 09:17 PM
I was on the phone with the Sox ticket sales talking with my representative about 1. Why?
2. Getting the address to mail back the remainder of my season tix.
3. Then cancelling my season tickets for the next year (If I remember my exact quote it was "If you are giving up on me, then I am giving up on you")

And to this day, I have still been ticked off about "if anyone thinks we are going to catch Cleveland then they are crazy" Well, I was crazy.

MarkEdward
07-31-2002, 09:57 PM

Playoffs? Maybe. World Series? No way. First, Darwin and Alvarez didn't finish the year too great (Alvarez: 4.48 ERA, Darwin: 4.91 ERA). Hernandez continued to have a good year, but Karchner pitched very well in his absence. Anyway, let's say the trade never happens. Here are the rotation of each AL team in the '97 playoffs (Sox win the Central):

Baltimore Chicago
Jimmy Key (3.43 ERA) Alvarez (3.48 ERA)
Scott Erickson (3.69 ERA) Navarro (5.79 ERA)
Mike Mussina (3.20 ERA) Baldwin (5.27 ERA)
Scott Kamieniecki (4.01 ERA) Drabek (5.74 ERA)
Rick Krivda (6.30 ERA) Eyre (5.04 ERA)
Seattle New York
Jeff Fassero (3.61 ERA) Pettitte (2.88 ERA)
Jamie Moyer (3.86 ERA) D. Wells (4.21 ERA)
Randy Johnson (2.28 ERA) Cone (2.82 ERA)
Bob Wolcott (6.03 ERA) Rogers (5.65 ERA)
Omar Olivares (5.49 ERA) Gooden (4.91 ERA)

Four of our starters would barely make a 4th starter for Baltimore Seattle, or New York. Here are the bullpen ERAs:

Chicago: 3.67 ERA
Seattle: 5.29 ERA
Baltimore: 2.74 ERA
New York: 2.97 ERA

The Sox had a good pen, but the starters probably would have thrown the game away early. How about offense?

Team OPS, starting position players:
Chicago: .747 OPS
Baltimore: .769 OPS
Seattle: .849 OPS
New York: . 813 OPS

So aside from having the worst starters, the Sox also had the worst offense. The only team I can see them beating is Baltimore, and that's highly unlikely. BTW, I liked the White Flag trade. Foulke was a great pitcher for four years (his career's not over either), Howry provided 3 good years of work, Caruso would've been good if not for getting rushed up. Barcelo's a bust because of injuries (even he helped in 2000). Seeing as though most deadline deals are a bad time to get prospects (see Joe Sheehan's column on the ESPN site), this was a goldmine.

Bisco Stu
08-01-2002, 12:35 AM
Cleveland was good enough to almost win the World Series. They weren't that much better than us. We could've won it all if we had ACQUIRED another pitcher instead of giving up.

DVG
08-01-2002, 03:41 PM

Huh? Made the World Series? The team was at .500 and flat out sucking most of the year. A much better team in 2000 flat-lined in the playoffs, so how was a weak .500 team going to get past Cleveland or New York? There's no guarantee that they would've even won the division. Couple the team's standing in 1997 with
their track record in post-season play and I think that to say
that they would've gone to the WS is crazy.

steff
08-01-2002, 03:57 PM
I was in Anaheim, at the Anaheim Hilton, sitting poolside, relaxing before getting ready to go to the game.

At least the weather was nice...

duke of dorwood
08-01-2002, 04:00 PM
I was in the final days of my job at 3M. Our company had been sold and unemployment was staring at me. Our being in a pennant race was a nice diversion. The Sox ended up like my job.

Iwritecode
08-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Let's see, it was a Thursday so I know I was at work that day. I'm pretty sure I had class that night also. My first daughter was two weeks away from her first birthday. So between work, college and family I didn't have a whole lot of time to pay attention to baseball. I do remember thinking that it kind of sucked because I liked Hernandez and Alvarez and had no idea who all the minor leaguers were. I hated the idea of just giving up on the division but IIRC, Cleveland had a really good team that year.

Dadawg_77
08-01-2002, 04:15 PM
I was getting in the shower just waking up around 2:30 pm, god it was good to be a lazy college student on summer break. I was looking forward to the night out with friends, and then I hear about from my dad. Damn that suck. I really didn't care about the Sox untill the 2000 team relite my fire.

steff
08-01-2002, 05:25 PM
It sucked even worse being there for the game. It was obvious I was a Sox fan, and the Anaheim fans are (were) brutal. I just wanted to hop on a plane and come home...