PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod bought medical records from Florida Clinic to destroy them?

HomeFish
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Or at least that is what he's currently being accused of doing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/sports/baseball/baseball-believes-alex-rodriguez-bought-clinic-documents.html?hp

A-Rod has denied the charges

Bobby Thigpen
04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
A-Rod is a giant tool.

Can we move on with our lives now?

mzh
04-12-2013, 08:08 PM
No link, but Deadspin says that there may be incriminating documents on other players among the records that Rodriguez bought.

What a scumbag.

RKMeibalane
04-12-2013, 08:22 PM
No link, but Deadspin says that there may be incriminating documents on other players among the records that Rodriguez bought.

What a scumbag.

I'm not the least bit surprised that Rodriguez is involved in something like this. What I'm more concerned about is how or why someone working at a clinic is selling other people's medical information. Female colleagues of mine have gotten reprimanded for looking up their own charts to view information about their newborn babies. What in the blue hell makes people think it's acceptable to release sensitive information without the permission of the patients involved. Good grief!

DSpivack
04-12-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm not the least bit surprised that Rodriguez is involved in something like this. What I'm more concerned about is how or why someone working at a clinic is selling other people's medical information. Female colleagues of mine have gotten reprimanded for looking up their own charts to view information about their newborn babies. What in the blue hell makes people think it's acceptable to release sensitive information without the permission of the patients involved. Good grief!

That's not illegal under HIPAA?

blandman
04-12-2013, 08:37 PM

Guys, I don't think the employees at an illegal steroid clinic are too worried about breaking the law... :cool:

Lip Man 1
04-12-2013, 09:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9165418/no-evidence-tying-alex-rodriguez-purchasing-biogenesis-records-sources-say

Explains how the documents could have been sold to A-Rod. (Dissatisfied employee)

Lip

RKMeibalane
04-12-2013, 10:25 PM

It is illegal if they're using their background as physicians to obtain the information. Any physician with admitting privileges at a particular hospital will be able to access the hospital computer system. If the hospital uses electronic medical records, it's extremely easy to look up information on oneself or one's child, both of which aren't allowed if you do as a healthcare provider.

Anyone who wants to see their own information or a child's info must do so as a patient or parental guardian and follow procedure. It's obnoxious, but I guess they're trying to keep the playing field equal, as other patients and families can't do the same.