Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Let's go pound Cleveland

BleacherBandit
04-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Washington's scary good.

SoxSpeed22
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Here I was thinking this game got cancelled thanks to the storms. That stinks.

amsteel
04-11-2013, 09:27 PM
At least they stuck to the script:
Starter gives up a bunch of runs in the middle innings
Bat under 0.200 w/ RISP

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Washington's scary good.

Remember when the Sox were like that?

Tragg
04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm stuck between we're really bad, considering blown chance after blown chance; or we're pretty good, but we just played a juggernaut and didn't catch any breaks.

amsteel
04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
There have been 2 innings this season in which the Sox have scored 2 or more runs that didn't come by HR.

5th on 4/5
4th tonight

BleacherBandit
04-11-2013, 09:34 PM

Haha. When I was in high school, yes: so not really.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2013, 09:38 PM

:hurt

"I do. I was there."

thomas35forever
04-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Yikes. Let's pretend this series never happened.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2013, 09:43 PM
More of the same thing tonight gang.

13 hits and a walk...and they score four lousy runs. Amazing.

Now 9-58 on the year with RISP. Nine more strikeouts. 3-13 with RISP tonight.

:o:

Add in that again the Sox scored some runs and the starting pitcher promptly gave them back in the bottom half of the frame.

Not a good combination. I suspect this RISP stat is going to be the single biggest factor in how this team performs this season, bar none...and right now it's not good.

:(:

Lip

BleacherBandit
04-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Not a good combination. I suspect this RISP stat is going to be the single biggest factor in how this team performs this season, bar none...and right now it's not good.

:(:

Lip

And lousy pitching. Don't forget lousy pitching.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Bleacher:

For what it's worth I was told by a member of the media that covers the Sox regularly that "the pitching isn't as good as the Sox are making it out to be..."

Time will tell I guess.

Lip

BigHurt3515
04-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Still would rather have Santiago starting instead of Axelrod.

kittle42
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Bleacher:

For what it's worth I was told by a member of the media that covers the Sox regularly that "the pitching isn't as good as the Sox are making it out to be..."

Time will tell I guess.

Lip

Do we really need the media to tell us that?

This team is 81 wins. But the management is content with that, so whatever.

amsteel
04-11-2013, 11:30 PM
"the pitching isn't as good as the Sox are making it out to be..."

Does anyone buy the bull**** the Sox sell? A 9 year old with an Internet connection could figure that out.

doublem23
04-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Does anyone buy the bull**** the Sox sell? A 9 year old with an Internet connection could figure that out.

Seriously, our 3rd starter for the time being is Gavin Floyd. We're giving the ball to Dylan Axelrod every 5th day. Let's ponder these things for a moment.

Foulke You
04-11-2013, 11:49 PM
I really have no idea why the Sox felt Axelrod was the better pick for the rotation. I think they were dazzled by his Spring Training stats. Dylan battles but he just doesn't have big league stuff. He has to be perfect with his control just to make it thru 5 or 6 innings. He never misses the bat which is a bad thing when you only throw 84mph most the time. As Hawk pointed out in tonight's broadcast, Santiago has the stuff to pitch out of jams. I was rather shocked that Robin left Axelrod in to face Harper (who he promptly plunked) when Santiago was ready. He then left him in for Zimmerman who delivered the killing blow. Just a frustrating series to watch.

LoveYourSuit
04-11-2013, 11:58 PM

Yeah. I never understood why "the next man up" was not the next man up.

You let Hector get his shot, and then worry about Danks when he gets here. It's not like the other two guys (Gavin and Quintana) are locks to keep in the rotation either.

They're acting like they have studs 1-4 and they can tread water with the 5. They are so mistaken.

Not saying Hector is lock to be a stud either, but he's 10 X better than Axelrod. No contest.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2013, 01:14 AM
Could it be because the Sox don't want three (or four if Danks ever comes back) left handers in the rotation?

Lip

JB98
04-12-2013, 02:08 AM
And lousy pitching. Don't forget lousy pitching.

That's clearly the main problem.

We can talk about the offense until we are blue in the face. It is what it is. This is a power-hitting team. When they are hitting balls off the wall and over the wall, they will score runs. When they aren't doing that, they will scuffle. You can wish for it to change all you want, but it won't. That's what this group of hitters does.

The Sox scored seven runs the first game of this series. That's more than enough to win. They lost. They scored four runs tonight. That's enough to win if you pitch well. The Sox did not pitch well.

As a matter of fact, all three starters the Sox sent to the mound in this series sucked out loud. The bullpen wasn't great either. The Sox did a lot of things wrong on the pitching-and-defense side in this series. Bad pitches in the middle of the plate, walks and HBPs at bad times, wild pitches, errant pick-off throws, allowing the opposing pitcher to reach base, etc.

Just a bad series and it starts with bad starting pitching. That's a far greater concern to me than anything that's going on offensively. I'm hardly surprised to see the Sox struggling with RISP. They have stretches like this every year. You can overcome it if you pitch good.

And, BTW, is it safe for us Tyler Flowers skeptics to come out now? He had a nice opening series, but I still think he has too many holes in that swing to be an everyday player.

Red Barchetta
04-12-2013, 06:31 AM
The Expos, I mean Nationals, do look strong this season! Glad the SOX are moving on.

BTW - I blame the new pants. They are 0-3! :tongue:

asindc
04-12-2013, 07:15 AM

If by "management," you mean ownership, I agree. If you ean KW, Hahn, etc., I disagree. I also agree that we don't need a member of the media who is watching what we are to tell us the obvious.

HomeFish
04-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Pretty sure I saw Hector Santiago's family at Game 1 of the series in DC. Or, at the very least, I saw a group of people, each wearing a Hector Santiago jersey or jersey shirt.

I looked it up and he's originally from New Jersey, so its not implausible that they would make the drive to DC.

Hitmen77
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM

Yep, that's pretty much what I believe.

The Expos, I mean Nationals, do look strong this season! Glad the SOX are moving on.

BTW - I blame the new pants. They are 0-3! :tongue:

Ah, you beat me to it. Sox winless since the road pants leg stripe tweak debacle began! JR, Brooks stop the insanity now! Bring back our stripe!

SCCWS
04-12-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm stuck between we're really bad, considering blown chance after blown chance; or we're pretty good, but we just played a juggernaut and didn't catch any breaks.

I am not sure i would call them a juggernaut. They had just returned from losing 2 out of 3 to Cinci. In that series, the Reds pounded Washington pitching.

doublem23
04-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I am not sure i would call them a juggernaut. They had just returned from losing 2 out of 3 to Cinci. In that series, the Reds pounded Washington pitching.

The Reds are also really, really good.

This Nats team might be the best overall team in baseball.

Zakath
04-12-2013, 08:26 AM

The Nationals started Haren, Detwiler, and Strasburg in that series. We only saw Haren of those 3, and Haren is extremely hittable.

russ99
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
That's clearly the main problem.

We can talk about the offense until we are blue in the face. It is what it is. This is a power-hitting team. When they are hitting balls off the wall and over the wall, they will score runs. When they aren't doing that, they will scuffle. You can wish for it to change all you want, but it won't. That's what this group of hitters does.

The Sox scored seven runs the first game of this series. That's more than enough to win. They lost. They scored four runs tonight. That's enough to win if you pitch well. The Sox did not pitch well.

As a matter of fact, all three starters the Sox sent to the mound in this series sucked out loud. The bullpen wasn't great either. The Sox did a lot of things wrong on the pitching-and-defense side in this series. Bad pitches in the middle of the plate, walks and HBPs at bad times, wild pitches, errant pick-off throws, allowing the opposing pitcher to reach base, etc.

Just a bad series and it starts with bad starting pitching. That's a far greater concern to me than anything that's going on offensively. I'm hardly surprised to see the Sox struggling with RISP. They have stretches like this every year. You can overcome it if you pitch good.

And, BTW, is it safe for us Tyler Flowers skeptics to come out now? He had a nice opening series, but I still think he has too many holes in that swing to be an everyday player.

You definitely have a point about our pitching - both starters and the pen let us down.

But look at the other side of the field, that Nats team has a quality lineup, and it makes matters worse when we're giving away outs left and right.

Agree, we do have a power hitting team, but good pitching can dry up that power and you need to find other ways to win, like going the other way on inside pitches to get a run in, and being smart at the plate in other ways that this group can't seem to be able to do.

Hopefully Cleveland will be good for what ails us.

Crestani
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I really have no idea why the Sox felt Axelrod was the better pick for the rotation. I think they were dazzled by his Spring Training stats. Dylan battles but he just doesn't have big league stuff. He has to be perfect with his control just to make it thru 5 or 6 innings. He never misses the bat which is a bad thing when you only throw 84mph most the time. As Hawk pointed out in tonight's broadcast, Santiago has the stuff to pitch out of jams. I was rather shocked that Robin left Axelrod in to face Harper (who he promptly plunked) when Santiago was ready. He then left him in for Zimmerman who delivered the killing blow. Just a frustrating series to watch.

Why were you shocked? It has been Robin's MO all spring to leave the starter in one batter too late...!!!

Foulke You
04-12-2013, 02:19 PM
He had a bad series but he also had Peavy, Floyd, and Axelrod batting behind him for three straight games. Still too early to judge him.

Could it be because the Sox don't want three (or four if Danks ever comes back) left handers in the rotation?

Lip

The screwball makes Santiago effective against right handers. In fact, he looks more comfortable against the right handed batters than he does against lefties. He just has way better stuff than Axelrod. If the left arm is the reason they are going with an inferior starter, then I completely don't understand their logic.

pudge
04-12-2013, 02:31 PM
If the left arm is the reason they are going with an inferior starter, then I completely don't understand their logic.

I'm with you. Really disappointed Santiago didn't get the chance as a starter. Does not make sense. I feel like the Sox org has been a broken record in terms of being content with a crappy 5th starter. We have lost playoff spots too many times thanks to the stubbornness of not plugging that hole with someone moderately capable.

mahagga73
04-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Bleacher:

Time will tell I guess.

Lip
That's what I was thinking . I about fell out when Hawk was bragging up how our bullpen was better than the Nat's, like that matters when you have Dylan Axelrod in your rotation. Sox hardly ever put 2 full good seasons together and it's looking like more of the ol .500 record same this year, if we are lucky. Maybe that baseball predicting machine at Baseball Prospectus or whatever might be right for once in regards to the Sox. I figure in order to have a shot at the playoffs in the AL you need to be lights out at home , like 50-32 or so lights out, and break even on the road, 0-3 is not a good start. I always think the Sox are better than they are because I'm a die-hard but the leaks are obvious earlier than usual to me this year.

TDog
04-12-2013, 04:49 PM

The Nats could be the best team in baseball this year. They probably have the best offense in baseball even without a DH. They may have an elite pitching staff and may have the best overall roster, although they may not be far ahead of the Reds, Giants and Dodgers. But it's a long season.

I think the best news for the White Sox this week is that they won't have to play the Nationals again. Or at least if they do, the Sox will at least be on just as big a roll as they are. I don't think you can judge the Sox pitching on how well it did in D.C. any more than you can judge the Royals offense by how well it did in Chicago.

SCCWS
04-13-2013, 06:59 PM

They looked good against the Sox but that may not mean much. How good is Atlanta which has just beaten the Nats two straight at home. They may be the best team and they have more help coming when McCann returns