PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle's 2nd stint in the American League is not off to a great start

doublem23
04-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Buehrle made his 2nd start of the year for Toronto yesterday, getting shelled by the Tigers, allowing 6 runs (5 earned) in only 4.1 innings of work. His record is still 0-0 but he's sporting a 10.24 ERA and 1.759 WHIP

sox1970
04-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I hope his next start is just as bad, and then he gets it going after that.

Monday--Floyd vs Buehrle

vinny
04-11-2013, 09:39 AM
It could be worse - he could still be playing in this place:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18karpxegn40djpg/k-bigpic.jpg

DumpJerry
04-11-2013, 11:38 AM
He's missing his doggies.

doublem23
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Monday--Floyd vs Buehrle

Early U/O on that game looks like it will be in the 20's.

thomas35forever
04-11-2013, 02:00 PM

That could not be any sadder, but the Marlins deserve everything coming to them.

WhiteSox5187
04-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Didn't he have a similar rough start to the season back in 2008? I seem to recall he had a horrible April after signing that big extension but then settled down and had a typical Buehrle-esque year. He also won several big games down the stretch in September.

Irishsox1
04-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Only Jeffrey Loria could build a new stadium and have it turn out as screwed up as that place is.

TomBradley72
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Rogers Centre isn't much better- even though team is.

Not sure if MB is a good fit for an astroturf stadium-

Domeshot17
04-11-2013, 04:15 PM
I love the new marlins park actually, way better than the cell (minus the stupid rotating home run dolphin).

That said, any stadium looks bad when it is empty.

As for Burls, I project he will finish around a 4.50 era. Be tough to keep up what he has done in the past with so little velocity and nothing overpowering.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I expect Buehrle to make the Sox look inept, as they often do against soft-tossing LHP with pinpoint control.

TheVulture
04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
That said, any stadium looks bad when it is empty.
http://www.dugout-memories.com/goffcomm.jpg

tstrike2000
04-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Didn't he have a similar rough start to the season back in 2008? I seem to recall he had a horrible April after signing that big extension but then settled down and had a typical Buehrle-esque year. He also won several big games down the stretch in September.

Yes, can't remember which year it was, but I believe Buehrle started 2-10 for us before eventually finishing around .500.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Yes, can't remember which year it was, but I believe Buehrle started 2-10 for us before eventually finishing around .500.

That sounds like 2003. The lowest point happened in June during a loss to the Giants. Buehrle actually pitched well, but found himself in trouble in the late innings after giving up a single to Ray Durham, putting a man on base before Roid Rage made his way to the plate. Bonds crushed a home run deep into the right field bleachers, sending the entire park into an uproar that woke Jerry Manuel from his mid-evening nap. Manuel decided that it was appropriate to pull Buehrle after the Bonds home run, as opposed to doing so before he came to the plate.

jdm2662
04-11-2013, 09:55 PM
That sounds like 2003. The lowest point happened in June during a loss to the Giants. Buehrle actually pitched well, but found himself in trouble in the late innings after giving up a single to Ray Durham, putting a man on base before Roid Rage made his way to the plate. Bonds crushed a home run deep into the right field bleachers, sending the entire park into an uproar that woke Jerry Manuel from his mid-evening nap. Manuel decided that it was appropriate to pull Buehrle after the Bonds home run, as opposed to doing so before he came to the plate.

Colon pitched that game. He blew Bonds away three times that game. The first pitch he threw was a 97 mph fastball and Bonds killed it.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Colon pitched that game. He blew Bonds away three times that game. The first pitch he threw was a 97 mph fastball and Bonds killed it.

You're right. I just looked it up. Thank you for correcting me.

Edit: I think I remembered Buehrle pitching that game because he actually pitched the night before, giving up eight earned runs in four-and-one-third innings of work. As it turned out, the Bonds home run against Colon only tied the game. The killing blow came later that inning, after Rich Aurilia blasted a grand slam to give the Giants an 8-4 lead. Only then did Manuel use the bullpen. Why didn't he use Marte against Bonds when it was obvious Colon was slipping? Good grief, was he awful.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah, that was Colon. Didn't need to look it up as I was there with a friend whose NL team is the Giants. We were discussing leaving Bartolo in to face Bonds for the fourth time when . . . boom.

LOL at waking Manual up. Ah, the memories.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
LOL at waking Manual up. Ah, the memories.

My favorite Manuel moments- if they can be called that- involved him sleeping through a controversial call, such as Jon Garland being tossed by Bruce Froemming after hitting Eye Chart with a fastball. Apparently, Froemming had warned both teams prior to the start of the game, but told no one else of the warning. Hawk was furious, and started screaming, "That was BS! How can someone like that have so much power? That's too much power!"

Manuel's naps usually provoked outrage on this board, and Garland's ejection was no exception. People were already upset about earlier beanings of both Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez that weren't met with any sort of retaliation, and Froemming's decision to toss Garland for standing up his teammates- a decision that was not questioned by Manuel- was more than enough for people to start screaming for Manuel's head.

What did Manuel do? It's almost as if he saw the reaction of the board, because he was ejected in the bottom of the first inning of the following afternoon's game, following a questionable but not awful call at first base that was determined via television replay to be correct.

lpneck
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM

So two thoughts...

1.) I get that the Marlins attendance is terrible, but perhaps a picture that is clearly taken before the game has even started is not the best evidence of that.

2.) Perhaps we should wait until the White Sox have a better average attendance than the Marlins do before we insult their fans.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2013, 11:08 PM
So two thoughts...

1.) I get that the Marlins attendance is terrible, but perhaps a picture that is clearly taken before the game has even started is not the best evidence of that.

2.) Perhaps we should wait until the White Sox have a better average attendance than the Marlins do before we insult their fans.

I'm not insulting Marlins fans as much as I am their ownership (Loria, in particular) for the horrendous management of the franchise, and Bud Selig's apparent complicity in said management.

:tool

"Yes, baseball is our sport."

Lip Man 1
04-11-2013, 11:23 PM
So two thoughts...

Well perhaps it's better to wait then until the Sox actually play some home games where the temperature is above say 50? I don't blame the fans one bit for not showing up in that garbage...this is baseball...not the Bears in November.

Lip

doublem23
04-12-2013, 12:00 AM

The Marlins are boosting their attendance through the usual phantom means in the MLB that allow the Red Sox or Phillies to have meaningless sell out streaks that everyone knows aren't real. In terms of butts in seats, they're easily dead last in the league.

doublem23
04-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Well perhaps it's better to wait then until the Sox actually play some home games where the temperature is above say 50? I don't blame the fans one bit for not showing up in that garbage...this is baseball...not the Bears in November.

Lip

Uh, game time temperatures on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday were all north of 50 (57, 57, and 52 respectively). Not to mention, 50 degrees in April feels the same as 50 degrees in November. Let's not project your softness on the rest of us.

The Immigrant
04-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Uh, game time temperatures on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday were all north of 50 (57, 57, and 52 respectively). Not to mention, 50 degrees in April feels the same as 50 degrees in November. Let's not project your softness on the rest of us.

I was at the game on Sunday and froze my ass off. Guess I'm not as tough as you.

doublem23
04-12-2013, 12:49 AM
I was at the game on Sunday and froze my ass off. Guess I'm not as tough as you.

Should have moved with the sun, brah. It was toasty.

The Immigrant
04-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Should have moved with the sun, brah. It was toasty.

Too many kids in tow. Hard for all of us to migrate with the sun like you young 'uns.

kittle42
04-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Lip

Yeah, because the crowds have been *so* huge during the warm months over the past decade.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Considering they have had four of the largest seasonal attendance totals in franchise history in the past 10 years (each over 2.5 million) I'd say they have had big crowds during the warm weather months.

Winning also helps a tad.

Lip