PDA

View Full Version : Conor's Big Chance

Carolina Kenny
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
I am rooting hard to Conor to " Make a Impact" and nail down at least a platoon at third, often a lack of talent over the years.

Apologies for anyone I missed.

The pantheon of "great" sox 3rd baggers I can remember in the hot corner:

1. Ventura
2. Melton
3. Ward
4. Eric Soderholm
4. Crede
5. Herbert Perry
6. Youklis
7. Gillaspie??
8. Tim Hulett
9. Geogg Blum
10. Bill Stein
11. Chris Snopeck

Conor still has a chance to move into 4th place, he is young. Go Conor you can do it.

Bobby Thigpen
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I am rooting hard to Conor to " Make a Impact" and nail down at least a platoon at third, often a lack of talent over the years.

The pantheon of "great" sox 3rd baggers I can remember in the hot corner:

1. Ventura
2. Melton
3. Ward
4. Eric Soderholm
4. Crede
5. Herbert Perry
6. Youklis
7. Gillaspie??
8. Tim Hulett
9. Geogg Blum
10. Bill Stein
11. Chris Snopeck

Conor still has a chance to move into 4th place, he is young. Go Conor you can do it.
That is a pretty condemning testament to the Sox' issues at third.

Noneck
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
How about Gillaspie winning 3rd and Kippinger taking over at 2nd? I dont see Kippinger being a platoon player with the contract he got.

eriqjaffe
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Apologies for anyone I missed.Wilson Betemit forgives you.

Hitmen77
04-10-2013, 04:01 PM

:KW:

You forgot future all-star Josh Fields

EnglishChiSox
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Wilson Betemit forgives you.

And don't forget Littlebridges contribution

Lip Man 1
04-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Kevin Bell anyone?????

Jim Morrison, Luis Salazar, Vance Law, Wayne Tolleson, and Eddie Williams also come to mind as former Sox 3rd basemen.

Lip

Bobby Thigpen
04-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Of the ones I got to see personally, sadly it's probably-
1. Ventura
2. Crede
3. Perry

That's bad.

LITTLE NELL
04-10-2013, 05:31 PM
1. Ventura
2. Crede
3. Perry

That's bad.

Saw them all, I still wonder how good Ward and Melton could have been without their injuries curtailing their careers.

SoxNation05
04-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Crede was better than Soderholm.

LITTLE NELL
04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Crede was better than Soderholm.

Without a doubt.

Frater Perdurabo
04-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I don't think the Sox have a particularly miserable history at the hot corner compared to any other franchise. Fewer third baseman are in the HOF than any other position. The combination of skills desired at that position is rare.

voodoochile
04-10-2013, 10:06 PM
I should remember this name but I don't. Hawk traded him to Pittsburgh for the pitcher who nearly lost 20 games the year before. He played most of his career in LF IIRC, but for a while he was 3B with the Sox (again, IIRC).

Milw
04-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I know it's before any of us were born, but I hear Buck Weaver was pretty good.

Lip Man 1
04-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Voodoo:

Bobby Bonilla? Traded for Jose DeLeon.

Lip

voodoochile
04-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Voodoo:

Lip

That's the guy. I knew I should have remembered him. He played third for a while right?

geofitz
04-11-2013, 07:32 AM
forget hustling John "Bubba" Phillips from the '59 pennant winning club? He added some spark to the team and seemed to be one of the announcing team's (Elson and Hamilton) favorites. At least that's what I remember from listening over the far reaching White Sox radio network in my early teens.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2013, 07:41 AM
That's the guy. I knew I should have remembered him. He played third for a while right?

There's a reason he was moved to left field...

Bobby Thigpen
04-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Conversely though, didn't we flip DeLeon for One Dog?

I'd take Lance Johnson over Bobby Bonilla personally.

Golden Sox
04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
He rubs me as a line drive hitter without any power. He doesn't seem to have much range at third base. This seems to be his big chance to make it with the White Sox. I hope he takes advantage of it and we have a keeper at third base for years to come.

doublem23
04-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Conversely though, didn't we flip DeLeon for One Dog?

Yep

Foulke You
04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
He rubs me as a line drive hitter without any power. He doesn't seem to have much range at third base. This seems to be his big chance to make it with the White Sox. I hope he takes advantage of it and we have a keeper at third base for years to come.
He has a nice swing and yes, he is more of a line drive hitter. However, a lot of those line drives go for HRs in our ballpark in the warmer months. I like what I've seen out of the kid so far. Our lineup could certainly use that extra left handed bat.

jdm2662
04-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Voodoo:

Lip

Ah yes, Jose DeLeon. The pitcher who beat Roger Clemens twice in one week. Clemens went 24-4 that year, and won the Cy Young. I want to say the second win as a 1-0 game where the Sox scored an unearned run...

Carolina Kenny
04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Kevin Bell anyone?????

Jim Morrison, Luis Salazar, Vance Law, Wayne Tolleson, and Eddie Williams also come to mind as former Sox 3rd basemen.

Lip

Yes, I saw/remember all these guys. I think Jim Morrison played more 2b than 3b. What a craptastic collection of talent.

I think Minnie and Al Smith also played a little 3B, but I never saw them do it.

Somewhere I have a Rich Lindberg book from 1984 called Who's on Third. It is a hoot.

Old dudes on the downside of their careers I never saw, but who played 3B for the Sox include:

Ken Boyer
George Kell

dickallen15
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Kevin Bell anyone?????

Lip
Don't forget Kenny Williams.

dickallen15
04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Also don't forget Eddie Einhorn traded minor leaguer Doug Drabek to the Yankees for Roy Smalley Jr. to play 3B. That one didn't work out so well.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Geo:

The Sox announcers from 56-59 when Bubba was with them were Elson and Bob Wells. Milo never had the pleasure. :D:

Carolina:

Kell suffered a back injury and wasn't the same player for his time with the Sox however he was an All Star in 1954 so he wasn't exactly chopped liver.

Lip

Carolina Kenny
04-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Geo:

The Sox announcers from 56-59 when Bubba was with them were Elson and Bob Wells. Milo never had the pleasure. :D:

Carolina:

Kell suffered a back injury and wasn't the same player for his time with the Sox however he was an All Star in 1954 so he wasn't exactly chopped liver.

Lip

What is it about 3rd base that creates all the back problems?

salty99
04-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Don't forget one of Jerry's favorites Tony Graffinino and last year's saviors Kevin Youkilis, Orlando Hudson, and Brent Morel. Also we must mention fan favorites Pablo Ozuna and Omar Vizquel

TDog
04-11-2013, 11:44 AM

Bobby Bonilla never played third for the White Sox. He played all three outfield positions and first base as the White Sox tried to work his bat into the lineup after claiming him in the Rule 5 Draft. Pittsburgh wanted him back so badly that they offered Jose DeLeon to get him back. I can't remember if Larry Himes had replaced Ken Harrelson, by the time the trade was made, but at the time, the White Sox made it out as stealing DeLeon from the Pirates.

I had forgotten that Eddie Willaims played third for the White Sox. I remember those as Tim Hulett years at third. Kenny Willamis was the opening day third baseman in 1988, hitting a home run and a double before he was replaced at third base by Steve Lyons in a game I listened to on the radio. The previous year, I had seen Eddie Williams playing third for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, and in 1988, I initially confused Eddie and Kenny.

Neither should be confused with Walt "No-Neck" Williams, although he played an inning at third base in 1971. When Bill Melton came off the field to a standing ovation after going out to play the bottom of the ninth on the last day of the season, having homered in his last at bat to win the AL home run title, Walt Williams replaced him. But Chet Lemon played more White Sox third base than Walt Williams. Even Chris Widger played more third base for the Sox than Walt Williams.

There is a reason Rich Lindberg titled one of his books about the White Sox "Who's on Third?"

skobabe8
04-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Geogg Blum was a fan favorite.

Stanley
04-11-2013, 11:58 AM
It is hard not to root for Gilaspie. He has a nice compact swing and good attitude. I'd love to see him get more PT and watch him blossom into a reliable option at 3B or somewhere else for us in the future.

And because no one has said it thus far, Mark Teahen.

Carolina Kenny
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Bobby Bonilla never played third for the White Sox. He played all three outfield positions and first base as the White Sox tried to work his bat into the lineup after claiming him in the Rule 5 Draft. Pittsburgh wanted him back so badly that they offered Jose DeLeon to get him back. I can't remember if Larry Himes had replaced Ken Harrelson, by the time the trade was made, but at the time, the White Sox made it out as stealing DeLeon from the Pirates.

I had forgotten that Eddie Willaims played third for the White Sox. I remember those as Tim Hulett years at third. Kenny Willamis was the opening day third baseman in 1988, hitting a home run and a double before he was replaced at third base by Steve Lyons in a game I listened to on the radio. The previous year, I had seen Eddie Williams playing third for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, and in 1988, I initially confused Eddie and Kenny.

Neither should be confused with Walt "No-Neck" Williams, although he played an inning at third base in 1971. When Bill Melton came off the field to a standing ovation after going out to play the bottom of the ninth on the last day of the season, having homered in his last at bat to win the AL home run title, Walt Williams replaced him. But Chet Lemon played more White Sox third base than Walt Williams. Even Chris Widger played more third base for the Sox than Walt Williams.

There is a reason Rich Lindberg titled one of his books about the White Sox "Who's on Third?"

I am a proud owner of that book!

palehosepub
04-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Greg Pryor & Kevin Bell

thomas35forever
04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Gillaspie has made some good strides so far. I'm very hopeful for his future, but also know prospects are merely prospects. You almost have to expect the worst with the history we've had with young talent. That said, I think he'll be productive at least this year.

doublem23
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Gillaspie has made some good strides so far. I'm very hopeful for his future, but also know prospects are merely prospects. You almost have to expect the worst with the history we've had with young talent. That said, I think he'll be productive at least this year.

Gillaspie's been a member of the White Sox organization for less than 2 months still so it's not like he's "our" prospect.

LITTLE NELL
04-11-2013, 01:15 PM
1. Ventura
2. Crede
3. Perry

That's bad.

forget hustling John "Bubba" Phillips from the '59 pennant winning club? He added some spark to the team and seemed to be one of the announcing team's (Elson and Hamilton) favorites. At least that's what I remember from listening over the far reaching White Sox radio network in my early teens.

Bubba was platooned with Billy Goodman who wasn't a bad hitter, IIRC he won a batting title with the BoSox in the early 50s.
Us oldtimers will remember when Nellie and Billy hit HRs in the bottom of the ninth against the Twins in 1961 to pull out a victory. I remember Brickhouse going crazy and said that the odds were around a million to one that those 2 would hit HRs to win a game.

And it was Don Wells in the booth with Elson, Wells left the Sox in 1961 to join the expansion Los Angeles Angels.

dickallen15
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
IIRC, Paulie has played a few games at the hot corner for the White Sox.

eriqjaffe
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
IIRC, Paulie has played a few games at the hot corner for the White Sox.8, and none since 2000.

dickallen15
04-11-2013, 03:28 PM
8, and none since 2000.

I think he pretty much played most of those in April and when they got the Milkman, they moved him back to 1B permanently and Frank to DH. It improved them defensively at both corners immensely.

FoulTerritory
04-11-2013, 04:13 PM
:KW:

"I also played some third."

Tree Hate Me
04-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Didn't Greg NORRRTON get a lot of play at third after Robin left?

I remember him being tall and lean, hitting a few homers and making a lot of errors....then moving on to Colorado.

blandman
04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Gillaspie's been a member of the White Sox organization for less than 2 months still so it's not like he's "our" prospect.

As evidenced by the fact that his "issues" involve minor adjustments. :tongue:

Seriously though, we blow at draft scouting. But we're really good at scouting existing minor leaguers outside our organization. I think Conor's going to be pretty damn good.

blandman
04-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Didn't Greg NORRRTON get a lot of play at third after Robin left?

I remember him being tall and lean, hitting a few homers and making a lot of errors....then moving on to Colorado.

He was the greatest.

Chrisaway
04-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Not one mention of the great Josh Fields?

LITTLE NELL
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Thought we had something after his nice 2nd half in 2007, but not to be.

DSpivack
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM

He's been mentioned.

Noneck
04-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Thought we had something after his nice 2nd half in 2007, but not to be.

Yea I remember the carnival barker talking then about how Fields homers reminded him of Killebrews. To coin one of his favorite lines, stretch.

SoxFanCPA
04-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Joe Crede is looking to make a comeback.

Bobby Thigpen
04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
I was -17 in 1959.

:tongue: