PDA

View Full Version : Sox Road Uniforms Have Been Changed

Brian26
04-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Anyone notice the difference?

It is something that has been the exact same since September of 1990.

Carneyman14
04-09-2013, 09:24 PM
White/Black Tuxedo stripe is no more :whiner:

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Anyone notice the difference?

It is something that has been the exact same since September of 1990.

White/Black Tuxedo stripe is no more :whiner:

I am glad someone else noticed that! I was watching the game wondering if I had gone crazy or if anyone else had noticed that. I'm sure this allows for better marketing of the White Sox brand though.

samurai_sox
04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
the stripes at the end of the sleeves? NOOOOOO!!!!:angry:

Soxman219
04-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Can someone show me a pic? Couldn't see the game tonight.

Brian26
04-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Well, this is the million dollar question. Tonight they wore the black top, and the stripes were there. However, if they took the stripes off the pants, wouldn't it make sense to take the stripes off the sleeves of the grey top also?

It looks like they replaced the black/white tuxedo stripe with a really thin black line. I don't know what the point of changing it would be. It looked fine the way it was.

Brian26
04-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Can someone show me a pic? Couldn't see the game tonight.

I'm working on a low-rent screen cap right now. Hold on.

Red Barchetta
04-09-2013, 09:47 PM
I didn't see the game due to MLB network showing the Dodgers/Padres game, but I saw a couple game plays on the SOX homepage. It looks like the gray pants only have solid black piping now. However, they were wearing the black alternate jerseys which still had the white/gray sleeve trim. I wonder if the road gray jerseys will also just have the black piping on the sleeves. I can't imagine they would have the white/black piping and then not match the pants. :scratch:

If this is the case, I think they should remove the white/black piping on the sleeves of the black alternates, just like they were when they were originally introduced in 1991. I always thought the black/white trim looked out of place when they wore the black alternates with the home pinstripe pants.

Brian26
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
I got no skills at this....

Brian26
04-09-2013, 09:52 PM
And of course, the before pic... I always hate it when teams switch the uniform they won the World Series in. They should be mandated to keep that uniform forever.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/160/591/56018962.jpg.27655_display_image.jpg?1266600863

Marqhead
04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Brian you are the king of the White Sox subtle uni changes.

Bring back the diamond sock patch!

sox1970
04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I saw this on Twitter earlier. Kinda dig the first home uniform.

http://clumsytuba.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/white-sox-uniforms/

I'm all for a slight change.

doublem23
04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm sure this allows for better marketing of the White Sox brand though.

Absolutely. When you're the White Sox, you want to eliminate white in as many places on the uniform as possible.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/160/591/56018962.jpg.27655_display_image.jpg?1266600863

Seriously, who the **** is in the front office looking at this picture, which has to be hanging on a wall somewhere, everyday, and thinks to himself, BAH, I could have done better.

I refuse to buy a gray road jersey top until they bring back the diamond sock.

Milw
04-09-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't know what the point of changing it would be. It looked fine the way it was.
It's really troublesome how often we can attach that quote to things this organization does.

Mr. Jinx
04-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Absolutely. When you're the White Sox, you want to eliminate white in as many places on the uniform as possible.

Seriously, who the **** is in the front office looking at this picture, which has to be hanging on a wall somewhere, everyday, and thinks to himself, BAH, I could have done better.

I refuse to buy a gray road jersey top until they bring back the diamond sock.

And celebrate a red Sox jersey like they did last year.

Brian26
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM

It is really unbelievable at this point.

skobabe8
04-09-2013, 11:22 PM
It is really unbelievable at this point.

Seriously.

I'd love to see the exhaustive market study that was conducted that led to this decision. It's just constant TINKERING and MEDDLING. Just stop it.

Milw
04-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Seriously.

I'd love to see the exhaustive market study that was conducted that led to this decision. It's just constant TINKERING and MEDDLING. Just stop it.
I can't decide what would be worse: If the Sox actually did an exhaustive market study on this issue, or if they didn't and made the changes anyway.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm sorry, what am I missing? Those screen captures seem to show the gray/white stripes at the end of the sleeves.

skobabe8
04-09-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm sorry, what am I missing? Those screen captures seem to show the gray/white stripes at the end of the sleeves.

But not on the pants.

thomas35forever
04-10-2013, 12:04 AM
I'll advocate the return of the Diamond Sock before this.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2013, 12:05 AM
But not on the pants.Ah, thanks. I would never have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out. No big deal to me.

Milw
04-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Ah, thanks. I would never have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out. No big deal to me.

It's not a big deal. I didn't notice it myself... But that's kind of the point. Why tinker with something so minuscule that wasn't a problem in the first place?

Brian26
04-10-2013, 07:24 AM

Man, these kids today have absolutely no reading comprehension skills. They just skip over the words in the first ten posts of the thread and skip to the pictures.

The Immigrant
04-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Quick, somebody email Brooks!

Red Barchetta
04-10-2013, 07:44 AM
I saw this on Twitter earlier. Kinda dig the first home uniform.

http://clumsytuba.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/white-sox-uniforms/

I'm all for a slight change.

I have always liked the black/red 1950s inspired look. That first set is nice. I just don't want the SOX to ever go back to that "Batterman" logo. I know it's a favorite of some fans, however to me it always looked like the Pedestrian Crossing signs.

The current set of uniforms have been around for 22 seasons, which is an incredibly long run for any uniform, especially a White Sox uniform. Over that time, I can think of only a few tweaks outside of the occasional sleeve patch...(1) adding names to the back of the home jerseys, (2) changing the script, trim and buttons on the alternate black jerseys, (3) two different home vest alternates, one with real sleeves and one with fake sleeves, (4) the removal of the SOX diamond off of the road jerseys and now (5) the change in the road uniforms trim.

Maybe I missed some other changes, but overall, not much. I'm hoping the SOX wear their Gray Chicago road jerseys today to see whether or not the trim has changed on the jersey. I can't imagine that they would only change the pant legs. It's not like they sell pants in the gift shop.

Over By There
04-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Quick, somebody email Brooks!

And start a Facebook group!

Bobby Thigpen
04-10-2013, 08:07 AM
God danged White Sox!! They will never get another dime of my money ever again!! That pants leg stripe was the last straw!! They're continuing to mess with perfection!!

Seriously. It's a stripe on some pants.

Bobby Thigpen
04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
And of course, the before pic... I always hate it when teams switch the uniform they won the World Series in. They should be mandated to keep that uniform forever.

Then the Sox would've never worn that uniform. They'd have worn the same uniform for almost a century.

Carneyman14
04-10-2013, 08:47 AM
I kind of like the black only piping to go with the black tops. But the black/white stripe needs to come back for the greys....hopefully we didn't scrap the grey tops....

Irishsox1
04-10-2013, 09:39 AM
The Sox always tinker with them but nothing major, not like the 60's, 70's & 80's were it was total reboot every 4 years.

But what happened to the vest, black shirt look they used in 2005? Just faded away.

TheOldRoman
04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I kind of like the black only piping to go with the black tops. But the black/white stripe needs to come back for the greys....hopefully we didn't scrap the grey tops....
All teams are required to have a home jersey and a gray(ish) road jersey, so they haven't been scrapped.

I don't know what to say. The marketing department has pretty much done everything wrong for the last 30 years. Their only successes were the uniforms and I guess the "Good guys wear black" phrase, but now they are chipping away at the uniforms. Everything else they've done has been failure, and they have been outwardly hostile to fans for much of it. I am surprised that I hadn't heard of this change beforehand.

Considering they weren't clearing out the gray jerseys, it looks like those pants will be paired with the same striped jersey, which will make them look even worse. Brooks has taken his rightful place besides Rob Gallas. The diamond sock patch two years ago and now this. If Brooks sticks around another five years, I'm pretty sure we'll get some garish "focus group approved" uniforms that will look embarassingly dated three months after they debut. But hey, as long as they give us Mullet Night, am I right?

eriqjaffe
04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
But what happened to the vest, black shirt look they used in 2005? Just faded away.The Sox canned those after 2005, and I consider it addition by subtraction. I don't miss them a bit, never a fan of the vest look.

TheOldRoman
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
The Sox canned those after 2005, and I consider it addition by subtraction. I don't miss them a bit, never a fan of the vest look.No, they wore them through 2007.

skobabe8
04-10-2013, 10:17 AM
The Sox canned those after 2005, and I consider it addition by subtraction. I don't miss them a bit, never a fan of the vest look.

For a couple of years there, half of MLB had vests. Remember those days? :tongue:

Milw
04-10-2013, 10:24 AM
The Sox canned those after 2005, and I consider it addition by subtraction. I don't miss them a bit, never a fan of the vest look.

That was my favorite Sox jersey ever.

eriqjaffe
04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
No, they wore them through 2007.They kept them that long? I must be projecting in my thinking.

When they lost Game 1 of the ALCS, I actually was kind of glad that they were wearing the vests because the protocol of "switch uniforms when they lose" that they follow(ed) meant that they wound up wearing their primary home & roads for the rest of the ALCS and the WS that year.

Lip Man 1
04-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Roman:

To be fair to Brooks I think his "us vs. them" and "grinder rules" marketing campaigns were very successful.

Lip

Red Barchetta
04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
For a couple of years there, half of MLB had vests. Remember those days? :tongue:

How could I forget?! The red sleeveless alternates the Pirates wore were hideous.

Red Barchetta
04-10-2013, 11:29 AM
They kept them that long? I must be projecting in my thinking.

When they lost Game 1 of the ALCS, I actually was kind of glad that they were wearing the vests because the protocol of "switch uniforms when they lose" that they follow(ed) meant that they wound up wearing their primary home & roads for the rest of the ALCS and the WS that year.

What I also liked about the 2005 post season is that they did not wear the black alternates one game.

I still think the Rolling Blackout game against Minnesota was awesome. The home pinstripes never looked so good against that sea of black jackets, caps, jerseys, etc. worn by the fans! :cool:

skobabe8
04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
How could I forget?! The red sleeveless alternates the Pirates wore were hideous.

Yuck.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5106/5623287864_2eb428cb61_m.jpg

Milw
04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Roman:

TGo be fair to Brooks I think his "us vs. them" and "grinder rules" marketing campaigns were very successful.

Lip

Yep. Then he promptly turned around and fired the marketing agency that came up with them.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Man, these kids today have absolutely no reading comprehension skills. They just skip over the words in the first ten posts of the thread and skip to the pictures.I challenge you to read the first ten posts and determine what had changed. There was a reference to a "tuxedo stripe" and I had no idea what that meant. And then there was:

So I looked at sleeves in the pictures, and didn't see anything different. The only reference to pants at all was something to the effect of "if they took the stripes off the pants, wouldn't it make sense to take them off the sleeves too?" So, since the pants still had a stripe, again, I thought the reference was to sleeves.

spawn
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Ah, thanks. I would never have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out. No big deal to me.

God danged White Sox!! They will never get another dime of my money ever again!! That pants leg stripe was the last straw!! They're continuing to mess with perfection!!

Seriously. It's a stripe on some pants.

Thank you. I didn't even notice. I was a little preoccupied with the action on the field.

WhiteSox5187
04-10-2013, 03:34 PM
I am a big fan of all things related to uniforms, so here are my two cents on this issue:

Is it a big deal? No. I THOUGHT I noticed something was different but couldn't say for certain. What it is though, is change for the sake of change and I am not really a fan of that. Paul Lukas over at Uni-watch has a good method of assessing uniform changes and that is: "Is it good? Or is it stupid?" I would argue that most changes for the sake of change are stupid. So it's not the end of the world and isn't really THAT big of a deal, but it is, well, annoying.

Brian26
04-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Thank you. I didn't even notice. I was a little preoccupied with the action on the field.

Is it impossible to critically watch the game in its entirety and also notice that the uniforms have changed? Wow, I didn't know those were mutually exclusive concepts.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
...So it's not the end of the world and isn't really THAT big of a deal, but it is, well, annoying.Hell, I don't know, maybe they got a discount on some leftover pants, but I am amazed at the things fans notice, much less get concerned about. The stripe on the side of the pants. Damn.

Brian26
04-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Hell, I don't know, maybe they got a discount on some leftover pants, but I am amazed at the things fans notice, much less get concerned about. The stripe on the side of the pants. Damn.

They've been wearing the same pants for 22+ years. Accounting for the time lost at the end of '94 and beginning of '95 for the strike, along with the Boston series at the end of '90, they've played around 1700 games in those.

I mean, perhaps you are "amazed" that someone noticed, but I don't think we're talking about some supernatural abilities here like counting the number of hairs sticking out of Hawk's beak.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2013, 04:23 PM
They've been wearing the same pants for 22+ years. Accounting for the time lost at the end of '94 and beginning of '95 for the strike, along with the Boston series at the end of '90, they've played around 1700 games in those.

I mean, perhaps you are "amazed" that someone noticed, but I don't think we're talking about some supernatural abilities here like counting the number of hairs sticking out of Hawk's beak.Okay, but if you had asked me before this thread to describe the stripe on the legs of the road uniform pants, chances are pretty good I wouldn't have been able to. Generally describe the road uniform? Sure. But that level of detail? Probably not.

spawn
04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Is it impossible to critically watch the game in its entirety and also notice that the uniforms have changed? Wow, I didn't know those were mutually exclusive concepts.

Well, believe it. I can watch a game without paying attention to every little detail of the uniform. It is possible.

spawn
04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Okay, but if you had asked me before this thread to describe the stripe on the legs of the road uniform pants, chances are pretty good I wouldn't have been able to. Generally describe the road uniform? Sure. But that level of detail? Probably not.

I'm in this boat as well.

DumpJerry
04-10-2013, 04:49 PM
If the Sox took the field wearing another team's uniforms, I might notice that, however, I usually don't pay attention to the uni as much as the action on the field.

Bobby Thigpen
04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
There's saying "Wow. Look. The Sox have new pants."

And then there's saying "I always hate it when teams switch the uniform they won the World Series in. They should be mandated to keep that uniform forever." and making 5 of the first 10 posts in a thread about it.

Red Barchetta
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
If history repeats itself, the SOX will probably wear the gray road jerseys after losing last night in the black alternates.

As posted earlier, perhaps the gray pants with the single black piping will be used only with the black alternate jersey and that the road grays haven't changed.

I remember when the SOX had the home vest alternates. They did not wear them as much as the regular jerseys, but the home pinstripe pants were worn with all three home jerseys. By August and September, you could see a pretty drastic color brightness difference between the pants and the vest jerseys where the vests looked a lot whiter/cleaner. I remember Hawk and DJ talking about it during one of the games. :D:

Brian26
04-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Okay, but if you had asked me before this thread to describe the stripe on the legs of the road uniform pants, chances are pretty good I wouldn't have been able to. Generally describe the road uniform? Sure. But that level of detail? Probably not.

I am really lost on this. You are honestly telling me that for 22 years the Sox have worn a pair of grey pants with a black and white stripe down the side, and you have never noticed that, recognized that and would not have been able to recollect that at all? Seriously? You attribute the term "level of detail" to something like that? Ok. I guess my brain works in a different way than yours. Huh.

Brian26
04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
If history repeats itself, the SOX will probably wear the gray road jerseys after losing last night in the black alternates.

As posted earlier, perhaps the gray pants with the single black piping will be used only with the black alternate jersey and that the road grays haven't changed.

I remember when the SOX had the home vest alternates. They did not wear them as much as the regular jerseys, but the home pinstripe pants were worn with all three home jerseys. By August and September, you could see a pretty drastic color brightness difference between the pants and the vest jerseys where the vests looked a lot whiter/cleaner. I remember Hawk and DJ talking about it during one of the games. :D:

Red, you are talking to the wrong crowd on this subject. We got guys here that havent noticed the grey pants have had a tuxedo stripe down the side for the last 22 years. You're insane to noticed that level of detail. Watch the damn action on the field.

spawn
04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I am really lost on this. You are honestly telling me that for 22 years the Sox have worn a pair of grey pants with a black and white stripe down the side, and you have never noticed that, recognized that and would not have been able to recollect that at all? Seriously? You attribute the term "level of detail" to something like that? Ok. I guess my brain works in a different way than yours. Huh.

He said before this thread he couldn't describe the stripe, not that he didn't notice it. reading comprehension...you said something about that earlier, right? And you seem to be taking this quite personally. Some of us don't notice subtle changes like that...and it is a subtle change, no matter what you might think. It's not like they went from black to gray pants. For Christ sakes, it's a stripe on pants. We didn't notice the change. Big deal. Geez...

DSpivack
04-10-2013, 07:04 PM
You seem to be taking this quite personally. Some of us don't notice subtle changes like that...and it is a subtle change, no matter what you might think. It's not like they went from black to gray pants. For Christ sakes, it's a stripe on pants. We didn't notice the change. Big deal. Geez...

I went to Dressed to the Nines (the Baseball HOF online database and exhibit on MLB uniforms) to compare, but unfortunately their database is rather incomplete.

LITTLE NELL
04-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Brian, I'm with you on this. I can watch a game and pick up changes on uniforms, stadiums, signs and whatever else from year to year.

spawn
04-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Brian, I'm with you on this. I can watch a game and pick up changes on uniforms, stadiums, signs and whatever else from year to year.

That's great. You can spot those changes. Some of us don't pay that much attention. If they weren't wearing pants...that might get my attention. :redneck

Brian26
04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
He said before this thread he couldn't describe the stripe, not that he didn't notice it. reading comprehension...you said something about that earlier, right?

The context of the statement was that he couldn't recognize or notice the colors of the stripes on the pants, which I find fascinating.

I guess we're not even arguiing about whether the change looks good or was necessary at this point. What the hell are we arguiing about? :tongue: Oh yeah, whether Nellie could describe the Sox pants they've worn for 22 years. Perhaps he has a black and white television? Perhaps color blind?

But, for ****s and giggles, I'm putting myself out there as a casual fan of the Bears and Hawks. I watch a fraction of their games compared to the Sox. I'm thinking outloud on this...I know the Bears have three orange stripes on their sleeves, so I'd probably pick that up if they ever changed it. Do they still have the GSH initials? I probably would miss that if they were ever taken off. The Hawks...red jerseys at home....some stripes on their sleeves, white and black, but I couldn't tell you how many by memory. So, if that ever changed, I wouldn't pick up on it at all, nor would I really care at all.

All that said, I'm a casual fan of those two teams and don't have as much of an emotional connection and haven't watched as many games. But, watching 145-150 Sox games every year all of my life, yes, I'll notice things that changes on their unis and not feel like I have to apologize for it.

TheOldRoman
04-10-2013, 08:15 PM

That was true in 2005, but not so much since then. The Sox started going completely overboard with black jerseys again in 2007. When they lost in the white or gray jerseys, they would change for the next game. However, they often would wear the black jerseys after three losses in a row. They went on road trips where they didn't even bring the gray jerseys.

Sure enough, black jerseys again tonight. I guess Brooks' initiative to emphasize the road jersey he messed up and limit the wearing of the black jersey only lasted one season. I'm guessing we're in for 100+ games in black jerseys again this year.

Nellie_Fox
04-11-2013, 12:44 AM
I am really lost on this. You are honestly telling me that for 22 years the Sox have worn a pair of grey pants with a black and white stripe down the side, and you have never noticed that, recognized that and would not have been able to recollect that at all? Seriously? You attribute the term "level of detail" to something like that?A freaking stripe down the pants? Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. I knew there was a stripe, but that's all, because I DIDN'T CARE. I find it amazing that anyone does! Again, it's a freaking stripe down the pants!

As far as the snarky comment about me having a black and white TV, it was a black and white stripe, right?

spawn
04-11-2013, 07:02 AM
All that said, I'm a casual fan of those two teams and don't have as much of an emotional connection and haven't watched as many games. But, watching 145-150 Sox games every year all of my life, yes, I'll notice things that changes on their unis and not feel like I have to apologize for it.
Point to one post where you've been asked to apologize for noticing subtle changes in the uniforms. You won't be able to because no one is asking you to. You on the other hand seem to be taking umbrage and have been quite rude to those of us that didn't notice it, starting with your snarky comment about Nellie's reading comprehension when there had been nothing really said in the first few posts of this thread about what change has been made. Also you seem exasperated that the uniform they have been wearing for 22 years is different because the stripe on the pants is different, and WE DIDN'T NOTICE!!! And your sly comments about being a casual fan of the other sports teams and not noticing subtle changes of those uniforms? Nice touch.

I watch as many games as you do. I watched that first game against the Nationals and I didn't notice. That doesn't make me any less a fan than you are. I don't pay that close attention to the uniforms. I just don't care. It has to be a bold change for me to notice. But hey, you win. You're a better fan than those of us that didn't notice. Congratulations.

I can't believe there are 5 pages dedicated to pants stripes. I'm out.

kittle42
04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
A freaking stripe down the pants? Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. I knew there was a stripe, but that's all, because I DIDN'T CARE. I find it amazing that anyone does! Again, it's a freaking stripe down the pants!

And......scene.

I bet there's someone out there swearing not to watch the Sox anymore because someone took a strip off their pants. This, only seasons after removing the sock patch. The horror.

Milw
04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
There's one thing the both the Stripe-Noticers and the Stripe-Oblivious camps have in common: Neither sees the change as actually improving the look of the uniform. Change for the sake of it, pissing off some fans and making none happier. That's the takeaway.

Score another for the Sox marketing department.

Hitmen77
04-11-2013, 08:38 AM
A freaking stripe down the pants? Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. I knew there was a stripe, but that's all, because I DIDN'T CARE. I find it amazing that anyone does! Again, it's a freaking stripe down the pants!

As far as the snarky comment about me having a black and white TV, it was a black and white stripe, right?

Point to one post where you've been asked to apologize for noticing subtle changes in the uniforms. You won't be able to because no one is asking you to. You on the other hand seem to be taking umbrage and have been quite rude to those of us that didn't notice it, starting with your snarky comment about Nellie's reading comprehension when there had been nothing really said in the first few posts of this thread about what change has been made. Also you seem exasperated that the uniform they have been wearing for 22 years is different because the stripe on the pants is different, and WE DIDN'T NOTICE!!! And your sly comments about being a casual fan of the other sports teams and not noticing subtle changes of those uniforms? Nice touch.

I watch as many games as you do. I watched that first game against the Nationals and I didn't notice. That doesn't make me any less a fan than you are. I don't pat that close attention to the uniforms. I just don't care. It has to be a bold change for me to notice. But hey, you win. You're a better fan than those of us that didn't notice. Congratulations.

I can't believe there are 5 pages dedicated to pants stripes. I'm out.

And......scene.

I bet there's someone out there swearing not to watch the Sox anymore because someone took a strip off their pants. This, only seasons after removing the sock patch. The horror.

I agree with you guys. I thought the reaction to the sock patch removal was a bit over the top a few years ago, but at least that was something people could identify. Probably not a big deal to most, but most people can recognize the sock patch. But pants stripes? Really? Is this thread a late April Fools joke and everyone is really just ranting in teal?

So a few sharp eyes out there notice a change in pants striping. So what? I would guess that 95% of Sox fans aren't going to notice the change since it's so subtle and they aren't going to care either. I guess that makes them all either morons or completely casual fans.

I challenge anyone here who really thinks this is such a big deal to go up to all your Sox fan friends and start ranting about how it's such a travesty that the Sox changed the pants stripe on their road uniforms. I'd be dying to know how many people get laughed in their face for expressing such outrage over this.

Milw
04-11-2013, 08:44 AM
I agree with you guys. I thought the reaction to the sock patch removal was a bit over the top a few years ago, but at least that was something people could identify. Probably not a big deal to most, but most people can recognize the sock patch. But pants stripes? Really? Is this thread a late April Fools joke and everyone is really just ranting in teal?

So a few sharp eyes out there notice a change in pants striping. So what? I would guess that 95% of Sox fans aren't going to notice the change since it's so subtle and they aren't going to care either. I guess that makes them all either morons or completely casual fans.

I challenge anyone here who really thinks this is such a big deal to go up to all your Sox fan friends and start ranting about how it's such a travesty that the Sox changed the pants stripe on their road uniforms. I'd be dying to know how many people get laughed in their face for expressing such outrage over this.
I'm right there with you (on the pants thing, the Sock patch is a bigger deal). But if 95% won't notice or care, why piss off the 5% who do? What's the gain?

For me, it's not about the pant stripe: It's about the marketing department doing things just to do them, all the while washing their hands of issues that actually matter, like guest service. The stripe is just symbolic of a larger disconnect between Sox marketing and Sox fans.

Bobby Thigpen
04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
I'm right there with you (on the pants thing, the Sock patch is a bigger deal). But if 95% won't notice or care, why piss off the 5% who do? What's the gain?

For me, it's not about the pant stripe: It's about the marketing department doing things just to do them, all the while washing their hands of issues that actually matter, like guest service. The stripe is just symbolic of a larger disconnect between Sox marketing and Sox fans.
Maybe they're easier to clean. I can't imagine keeping a stupid little white stripe clean for 81 games a year is all that easy to do.

But I'm sure it's just because the Sox are so inept at fan marketing.

Seriously. It's a freaking stripe.

Red Barchetta
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I really think that the road gray uniform pants will remain unchanged. I think that this small pant stripe change only applies to the pants the SOX wear with their black alternate jerseys. This way, they have 4 distinctly different uniform options. Perhaps it makes it easier on the clubhouse guys. Sort of like packing for vacation...

I guess we will find out as soon as the SOX wear the gray road jerseys for the first time.

spawn
04-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Maybe they're easier to clean. I can't imagine keeping a stupid little white stripe clean for 81 games a year is all that easy to do.

But I'm sure it's just because the Sox are so inept at fan marketing.

Seriously. It's a freaking stripe.

I just don't get the whole marketing angle. I mean...how many people are buying White Sox pants?

skobabe8
04-11-2013, 09:24 AM
There's one thing the both the Stripe-Noticers and the Stripe-Oblivious camps have in common: Neither sees the change as actually improving the look of the uniform. Change for the sake of it, pissing off some fans and making none happier. That's the takeaway.

My thoughts exactly.

Milw
04-11-2013, 09:25 AM
I just don't get the whole marketing angle. I mean...how many people are buying White Sox pants?

Exactly. Nobody. So what's the point?

I guess the theory of the stripe being harder to clean is plausible. If that's actually the reason, OK.

dickallen15
04-11-2013, 10:12 AM

So if you don't even notice the change, why would it piss you off?

I used to think being on a condo board of directors was the worst job in the world. You get calls almost everyday from people complaining about something. Their apartment isn't warm enough, call a board member at 3 AM. They didn't pay their bill so the electricity was cutoff. Don't call ComEd and pay your bill, call a board member they can fix it. Clog your sink in the middle of the night. Call everyone on the condo board until someone fixes it for you. On top of that, you don't get paid.

I now think Brooks Boyer, even though he gets paid, has the worst job in the world. People complain about everything. A stripe on the pants is a marketing decision? Why? To make more money? How many White Sox road pants are sold in retail outlets every year? The only guy I see walking around town in a full uniform is Ronnie Woo Woo. I watch on an HD 46 inch Samsung, and unless I really am watching carefully, the subtraction of the white stripe is really not noticeable, and really doesn't have any effect on my enjoyment of the game. If it really upsets you that the Sox changed the stripe, even though you didn't even notice, you are just being pissed off to be pissed off. If you do notice and the subtraction of a white stripe on gray pants upsets you so much, maybe you need to take a step back and realize there are way more important things in life.

spawn
04-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Exactly. Nobody. So what's the point?

What's the point of being upset other than just another reason to throw stones at the marketing department for making a change without getting approval from Sox fans? It's a ****ing stripe! Who cares about the reasoning for doing it? It really amazes me the things Sox fans choose to bitch about or be annoyed with, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the play on the field or even merchandise for sell.

It's official...this thread has gone beyond stupid.

Brian26
04-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Nellie, what you did was border-line trolling, and you won't own up to it. You got called out on it, you're getting pwned here (as the youngsters say), and you won't admit it.

Whether you DIDN'T CARE about the change or not is irrelevant. Numerous people who posted in this thread before you recognized the change, find it interesting, like to know the reason why it happened, and like to comment on it. Good grief, there are entire websites devoted to this kind of stuff (Chris Creamer's Sports Logos) and blogs (Uni-Watch on ESPN.com). Scott Reifert made a comment on it in his blog on Whitesox.com. People follow uniform changes. It's an interesting niche in sports culture. This is a Sox message board. We're allowed to talk about White Sox related items. Uniform changes interest some people.

What you did was come into the thread and say, "meh, who cares." Nobody is saying this is a world-changing event or as important as North Korea aiming missiles at people. It's just an interesting discussion point.

What I'm astounded by is that you're claiming that you couldn't describe the pant stripe that the Sox wore for 22 years and don't pay that much "attention to detail" and "didn't care", yet, in the '83 uniform thread, you seemed pretty damned opinionated and informed on those unis, which they wore for only five years some 30 years ago:

Maybe the belt instead of the wide elastic waist band?

No, I was used to much baggier uniforms from the 50's and 60's. I never liked the skin tight uniforms.

I know I don't like the long pants. And I REALLY don't like that some wear them, some don't. The team should all be the same.

Yeah, the belt was a significant improvement over the wide elastic that looked like a girdle.

You noticed the waist band 30 years ago and found that important enough to comment on, but you didn't notice the pants stripe they wore for the last 20 years and appear to think it's a worthless discussion.

How about this...if you have nothing to add to the thread, perhaps don't butt in and try to piss all over it.

DumpJerry
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I saw on Facebook today that the Minnesota Vikings changed the belts that hold up their uniform pants for next season.

http://www.bringmethenews.com/2013/04/11/lets-get-waisted-vikings-show-off-new-belt-buckles/

doublem23
What's the point of being upset other than just another reason to throw stones at the marketing department for making a change without getting approval from Sox fans? It's a ****ing stripe! Who cares about the reasoning for doing it? It really amazes me the things Sox fans choose to bitch about or be annoyed with, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the play on the field or even merchandise for sell.

Because it's an overall reflection of how the organization is run. I mean, sure a stripe on the side of pants is, by itself, no big deal, but it's just another in a long line of silly mistakes they keep making for no discernable reason. The diamond sock. The Pirates video. Dynamic pricing. Pushing Nancy out. I could go on and on. I guess it boils down to how you think the Sox are overall run as an organization. If you think they're doing a good job overall then yeah, it probably doesn't bug you, and that's fine. But for people who see a consistent series of mistakes, it's maybe just another in a long line.

Oh, and I will also say that I think the stripe does make a difference. I personally think the pants and jersey do look worse with only a black stripe. If you look around the league, most teams that have some kind of stripe or piping running down their pant legs go with more than one color. There's a reason they do that. It just looks better.

Hangar18
Seriously.

I can't decide what would be worse: If the Sox actually did an exhaustive market study on this issue, or if they didn't and made the changes anyway.

I'll advocate the return of the Diamond Sock before this.

It's not a big deal. I didn't notice it myself... But that's kind of the point. Why tinker with something so minuscule that wasn't a problem in the first place?

WHY THE HELL DID THE WHITE SOX DO THIS? The SOX road uniform, with the eventual tweaking of making the Diamond Sock on the sleeve bordered in black to make it stand out, was one the most beautiful AND noticable road uniforms in baseball. The distinctive white/black stripe on the pants AND the jersey, along with the script CHICAGO, made it easy to distinguish the south-siders from every other team on the highlights. The road gray and alternate black jersey are easily 1 and 1A, especially because of the matching stripes.

This move absolutely makes no sense, like when the SoX decided a market study needed to be done in regards to the Diamond Sock patch. This team continues to befuddle and estrange me. The road and alternate were PERFECT. *** is going on at 35th & Shields? you want Branding?
Fix the damn Home uniform. Make it look more like the 59 jersey. Or even the 72 jersey. Put the Diamond Sock on the home. There was nothing more
to be done .......... Change for the sake of change is as ridiculous as doing nothing at all. But when you change and end up Messing up the look and doing more damage ........... well thats White Sox Baseball for you.

My anger here, is that there were 1,089 other things that need Marketings attention, this was very far down the list, and Im quite shocked this was on their "problem" list to begin with :angry:

Brian26
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
It really amazes me the things Sox fans choose to bitch about or be annoyed with, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the play on the field or even merchandise for sell.

Really, Spawn? That really amazes you? After discussions for decades about the color of the damn seats at the ballpark, you're amazed that people want to talk about the uniforms?

At this point, I'm not even debating whether or not the stripe looks good or not. I don't think it was a necessary change, but it's not the end of the world. What I am AMAZED at is that some people here think we shouldn't be allowed to point out a change in the uniforms without being ridiculed. That's highly entertaining.

doublem23
Fix the damn Home uniform.

Uh, wait, what is wrong with the home uniform? It's absolutely perfect. It's based on the gorgeous late '50s style uniforms but doesn't have any ridiculous colors that have no logical place on the jersey of a team called the WHITE Sox.

DumpJerry
Uh oh, Henry is posting. Now I know we're in trouble......

Brian26
WHY THE HELL DID THE WHITE SOX DO THIS?

Now this thread is complete. Hell yes.

:rolling:

Hangar18
Did we time warp back to 1995? Did the White Sox really do this?
White Sox front office really out of touch once again with what really
matters. :scratch::angry::scratch:

Hangar18
04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Uh, wait, what is wrong with the home uniform? It's absolutely perfect. It's based on the gorgeous late '50s style uniforms but doesn't have any ridiculous colors that have no logical place on the jersey of a team called the WHITE Sox.

Stylize the SOX logo to look like the 59/72 jersey.
aka, MAKE IT BIGGER SO YOU CAN SEE IT ON TV SCREENS (ie "Branding")
I often wondered why i preferred my 59 and my 72 game-worns,
until one day I stood them altogether.
THE LOGO IS 2" Bigger, and really stands out.
One of my favorite alltime pics, is from 2005, the sox are all at home plate
celebrating a walk-off win against the Dodgers, wearing the 1959 jerseys.....
the logo from the jerseys completely dominates and Jumps off the pages at you
An excellent logo.

FoulTerritory
04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
So if you don't even notice the change, why would it piss you off?

I used to think being on a condo board of directors was the worst job in the world. You get calls almost everyday from people complaining about something. Their apartment isn't warm enough, call a board member at 3 AM. They didn't pay their bill so the electricity was cutoff. Don't call ComEd and pay your bill, call a board member they can fix it. Clog your sink in the middle of the night. Call everyone on the condo board until someone fixes it for you. On top of that, you don't get paid.

I now think Brooks Boyer, even though he gets paid, has the worst job in the world. People complain about everything. A stripe on the pants is a marketing decision? Why? To make more money? How many White Sox road pants are sold in retail outlets every year? The only guy I see walking around town in a full uniform is Ronnie Woo Woo. I watch on an HD 46 inch Samsung, and unless I really am watching carefully, the subtraction of the white stripe is really not noticeable, and really doesn't have any effect on my enjoyment of the game. If it really upsets you that the Sox changed the stripe, even though you didn't even notice, you are just being pissed off to be pissed off. If you do notice and the subtraction of a white stripe on gray pants upsets you so much, maybe you need to take a step back and realize there are way more important things in life.

Oh, come on. Brooks Boyer is terrible at his job. There are very gifted sports marketers out there with great intuitions who manage to enhance the look, feel, and general market appeal of a franchise as opposed to do little crap that annoy fans in various ways. Brooks is not good at his job and when people bitch about him he is getting what he deserves. If he was half as competent as McDonough then these threads wouldn't pop up all the time and he wouldn't get thousands of emails bitching about all his decisions. Just because this particular uni issue doesn't irritate you personally doesn't mean Brooks hasn't turned into a hack marketer.

Hangar18
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I find it RIDICULOUS, that the sox, in their infinite wisdom, somehow
have been wringing their collective hands trying to solve this seemingly
Elephant-in-the-room problem called The Road jersey :angry:

How about fix the concession stands so it doesnt take me 30 minutes to order something?
Fix the damn out of town scoreboard I dont even look at it its so annoying
How about fix the damn scoreboard itself. The Sox have basically 3 scoreboards in the outfield, all each showing you different stats from the same game............
How about "branding" your product at home, in the city of Chicago?
I really would love to have sat in on the conference calls, and boardroom meetings on this subject ............

spawn
04-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Really, Spawn? That really amazes you? After discussions for decades about the color of the damn seats at the ballpark, you're amazed that people want to talk about the uniforms?

Seat colors changing? A huge difference that everyone can see.

Black and white stripe vs. black stripe on the pants the players wear that not even i'm guessing a quarter of the people watching the game would notice. Yeah. It's a bit ridiculous to me, but whatever. :shrug:

Hangar18
04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
That was my favorite Sox jersey ever.

I'm NOT a fan of the vest look either ............

HOWEVER ................ It looked Amazing on the White Sox.
that look can only be pulled off by limited teams, and the SOX were one of them. Those vests brought the SOX a ton of luck back in 2005
I'd love to see the SOX wear those here and there again

Over By There
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Holy ****, Hangar is back.

DumpJerry
04-11-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm concerned that the new belt buckles the Minneosta Vikings will have this season on their uniform pants is the final piece to the puzzle for their total domination of the NFC North for the next three decades.....:(:

salty99
04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm concerned that the new belt buckles the Minneosta Vikings will have this season on their uniform pants is the final piece to the puzzle for their total domination of the NFC North for the next three decades.....:(:

What does this have to do with a Sox uniform change in the Sox forum?

DumpJerry
04-11-2013, 11:49 AM
What does this have to do with a Sox uniform change in the Sox forum?
We're talking pants......

salty99
04-11-2013, 12:00 PM
We're talking pants......

:tongue:

Bobby Thigpen
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Holy ****, Hangar is back.
This is an issue that obviously requires the bringing out of the big guns.

TheOldRoman
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Because it's an overall reflection of how the organization is run. I mean, sure a stripe on the side of pants is, by itself, no big deal, but it's just another in a long line of silly mistakes they keep making for no discernable reason. The diamond sock. The Pirates video. Dynamic pricing. Pushing Nancy out. I could go on and on. I guess it boils down to how you think the Sox are overall run as an organization. If you think they're doing a good job overall then yeah, it probably doesn't bug you, and that's fine. But for people who see a consistent series of mistakes, it's maybe just another in a long line.

Oh, and I will also say that I think the stripe does make a difference. I personally think the pants and jersey do look worse with only a black stripe. If you look around the league, most teams that have some kind of stripe or piping running down their pant legs go with more than one color. There's a reason they do that. It just looks better.
100% correct.

And to the snarksters asking "what does marketing have to do with uniform pants?!?!?!111?", the marketing department does not just control advertising, but basically all things relating to the team's image or brand. They are the ones who make uniform decisions because the uniforms are essentially a message they want to convey to the public. Ask any of the market people or designers, and they will throw out buzzwords such as "we feel the black and silver convey a message of tradition yet sleekness..." or some crap like that. Brooks said about eliminating the diamond sock that they felt it was important to increase visibility of the Sox logo to strength their brand. So, yes. Marketing made this decision.

Oh, and "Bah Gawd, King! That's HANGAR's music!"

spawn
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM

When you put it in this way, then I understand how you feel about it. Again, it doesn't bug me, marketing or aesthetically. But again, I just don't pay that close attention to it. Neither side of the argument is wrong IMO, but that doesn't mean dissenting opinions can't be respected.

skobabe8
04-11-2013, 12:43 PM

It does not look as good to me either.

http://www.uni-watch.com/wp-content/uploads/sox.png

Photo credit to uni-watch.com

skobabe8
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Who would have thought that THIS would be the issue that bring's Henry back?!?! :scratch::tongue:

FielderJones
04-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Who would have thought that THIS would be the issue that bring's Henry back?!?! :scratch::tongue:

Who would have thought that this issue would get one of these?

:tomatoaward

doublem23
04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
When you put it in this way, then I understand how you feel about it. Again, it doesn't bug me, marketing or aesthetically. But again, I just don't pay that close attention to it. Neither side of the argument is wrong IMO, but that doesn't mean dissenting opinions can't be respected.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone here has had a bad day or two where it feels like everything's going wrong, but you're able to internalize your frustration until something completely and utterly stupid pushes you over the boiling point. That's basically what's going on here.

It does not look as good to me either.

http://www.uni-watch.com/wp-content/uploads/sox.png

Photo credit to uni-watch.com

I completely see how some people won't care one way or the other about it, but I honestly cannot fathom how anyone would look at this image and think the Sox made an upgrade. At best, it's a completely pointless and parallel move which begs the question... Why? Why why why???

WhiteSox5187
04-11-2013, 01:16 PM

That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I suspect that you are talking about the red piping that the White Sox had on their uniforms in the 1950s, I SUSPECT the reason for that was because starting in the 1920s the White Sox incorporated red into their color scheme. So I think the White Sox were using their traditional colors and pretty much copying the look of the Yankees uniform. I think red is the most commonly used color in the uniform history of the White Sox.

spawn
04-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Who would have thought that this issue would get one of these?

:tomatoaward

:redneck I've been waiting for this! :thumbsup:

kittle42
04-11-2013, 01:25 PM

You wouldn't ask that if you saw his Facebook rants on the topic.

salty99
04-11-2013, 01:35 PM

You can't tease something like this and then not provide a link or quotes!

DumpJerry
04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Hangar's FB rants are epic.

Dibbs
04-11-2013, 01:57 PM
It doesn't bother me like taking away the diamond patch, but it is definitely a small downgrade. I will be looking forward to the day Brooks leaves. He started out promising, but he is absolutely worthless.

skobabe8
04-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Hangar's FB rants are epic.

Redundant.

I think every Hangar rant is epic.

FoulTerritory
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM
It doesn't bother me like taking away the diamond patch, but it is definitely a small downgrade. I will be looking forward to the day Brooks leaves. He started out promising, but he is absolutely worthless.

Yup. He is just brutal now.

After the endless string of bad decisions I think he has had a measurable negative impact on the appeal of the organization. From minimizing the organ, to dynamic pricing, to now incrementally worsening the road uniforms. Not to mention the Saliva rap video.

Just please, go away Brooks.

ChiSoxGal85
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
When seen side by side, I think the pants look better with the larger black and white piping, but I confess to not noticing the different pants during the game.

I would be willing to bet the smaller-piping pants are cheaper...and that said, I suspect the changes we've noticed are financially driven - such as the single piping pants, the replacement of the Pirates video with the voice-over intro - and perhaps other changes yet to come. They lowered ticket prices and parking prices, so this is where they are cutting costs. Perhaps they dropped the Pirates video so they don't have to pay royalties on the music. Booooooo.

Brooks & Co. may have been betting that fans won't notice the difference, or if they do, they won't care...Not on this board. :D:

Bobby Thigpen
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
I will never cease to be amazed with how some people act like different people throughout time have ruined the former Roman empire that was the White Sox. For some people it was the Reinsdorf group. Some it was Veeck. Some it's Brooks Boyer.

The Sox are probably more popular now than any other time in my lifetime other than 83, 93 and 2005, but that is never credited to anyone. Many fans just want to act like if the Sox didn't do obviously stupid things like change a stripe on the pants they'd easily be the most popular team in America with 10 straight World Series titles and the Yankees would quake in the boots at the mere mention of white socks.

doublem23
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Many fans just want to act like if the Sox didn't do obviously stupid things like change a stripe on the pants they'd easily be the most popular team in America with 10 straight World Series titles and the Yankees would quake in the boots at the mere mention of white socks.

I'm not sure I see anyone saying that at all

Milw
04-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I will never cease to be amazed with how some people act like different people throughout time have ruined the former Roman empire that was the White Sox. For some people it was the Reinsdorf group. Some it was Veeck. Some it's Brooks Boyer.

The Sox are probably more popular now than any other time in my lifetime other than 83, 93 and 2005, but that is never credited to anyone. Many fans just want to act like if the Sox didn't do obviously stupid things like change a stripe on the pants they'd easily be the most popular team in America with 10 straight World Series titles and the Yankees would quake in the boots at the mere mention of white socks.
The Sox have gotten progressively less popular every year since 2005. That's to be expected to a degree, but your assertion of peak popularity is patently preposterous.

Do things like minor uniform tweaks and changing the intro video have a measurable impact on the team's popularity? I doubt it. But neither do they make the team more popular. So why spend time and resources on them when they don't serve to sell more tickets and merely peeve off a sliver of the fanbase?

dickallen15
04-11-2013, 03:07 PM
The Sox have gotten progressively less popular every year since 2005. That's to be expected to a degree, but your assertion of peak popularity is patently preposterous.

Do things like minor uniform tweaks and changing the intro video have a measurable impact on the team's popularity? I doubt it. But neither do they make the team more popular. So why spend time and resources on them when they don't serve to sell more tickets and merely peeve off a sliver of the fanbase?

This board fancies itself as a message board for diehard White Sox fans. Shouldn't diehard White Sox fans be complaining about Gavin Floyd et al rather than stripes on some pants and trying to find some deeper sinister meaning for the change?

doublem23
04-11-2013, 03:10 PM
This board fancies itself as a message board for diehard White Sox fans. Shouldn't diehard White Sox fans be complaining about Gavin Floyd et al rather than stripes on some pants and trying to find some deeper sinister meaning for the change?

I think any Sox fan whose watched Gavin Floyd pitch before last night is aware of what you get from him.

Milw
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Who are you to tell other fans what they should be complaining about? If I want to bitch about stripes on pants, then goddammit I'm going to bitch about stripes on pants.

That's the nice thing about the thread system: If you don't care about stripes on pants, then you don't have to comment on this thread. If you want to complain about Gavin Floyd, then you can start your own thread. But opening a thread about pants to complain about people commenting on pants is simply troll behavior.

eriqjaffe
04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Clearly, the additional pants striping wasn't Gavin's problem.

wassagstdu
04-11-2013, 03:25 PM
The Sox will get their white stripe back when they make the post-season and not before. There, that's a pretty good reason for the change.

They thought taking away the sock on the away jersey would do it, but it turned out not to be enough.

Simple, no?

doublem23
04-11-2013, 03:40 PM
The Sox will get their white stripe back when they make the post-season and not before. There, that's a pretty good reason for the change.

They thought taking away the sock on the away jersey would do it, but it turned out not to be enough.

Simple, no?

In that case, considering the talent in the minor leagues, somebody better get the sleeveless vests and softball shorts ready and waiting

spawn
04-11-2013, 03:49 PM
That's the nice thing about the thread system: If you don't care about stripes on pants, then you don't have to comment on this thread. If you want to complain about Gavin Floyd, then you can start your own thread. But opening a thread about pants to complain about people commenting on pants is simply troll behavior.

The other nice thing about threads is you are allowed to give dissenting opinions. If you want to disagree with someone's opinion of pants stripes, you can do so. It is not trolling. That's such a bull**** argument. People aren't going to agree on everything. People have differing opinions. This place wouldn't be much fun if everyone agreed on everything in the thread. I've been on boards like that. They are ghost towns.

FoulTerritory
04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
The other nice thing about threads is you are allowed to give dissenting opinions. If you want to disagree with someone's opinion of pants stripes, you can do so. It is not trolling. That's such a bull**** argument. People aren't going to agree on everything. People have differing opinions. This place wouldn't be much fun if everyone agreed on everything in the thread. I've been on boards like that. They are ghost towns.

Yes, but people aren't offering dissenting opinions about the pants, i.e., "I think the new pants look better than the other ones". . . instead, the dissent being expressed is merely to communicate distaste that people are discussing not liking the pants stripe. This thread is no longer a debate about the aesthetic change of the pants, but rather, it has turned into a debate about whether it is okay to have a debate about pants. Very meta.

Dissent on the point at hand, yes, fine. But why bother going into the thread just to tell people that discussing this issue is stupid and trivial? That is different. Better, and more civil, to just ignore the thread altogether, no?

Milw
04-11-2013, 04:03 PM

FoulTerritory said it well. I don't mind if you don't dislike the change. I don't even mind if you think it's silly for others to care about the change. But don't come in here and tell me I shouldn't be discussing it, as if that somehow makes me a bad fan.

spawn
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
FoulTerritory said it well. I don't mind if you don't dislike the change. I don't even mind if you think it's silly for others to care about the change. But don't come in here and tell me I shouldn't be discussing it, as if that somehow makes me a bad fan.
No...this whole crap started when there were those of us that said we didn't notice the change, because, well how could we not have noticed, said the change didn't bother us, and it has descended from there. If you want to bitch about Sox marketing, there is already a thread about just that here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137535). Maybe it's better to discuss that there because a LOT of this discussion is about Sox marketing. So I'm closing this thread. You want to talk about it, bring it up there.