PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 83' Throwback Uniforms

Red Barchetta
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I have to admit, it was fun seeing the 83' throwback uniforms yesterday. I also think the belt loops improved the uniforms compared to the original navy, elastic waistband.

One thing I still don't like are the Montreal Expos-like three color caps. I always thought the two tone red/blue cap matched up better, just like the batting helmets.

I've read that most of the players liked the uniforms and Beckham even suggested that they wear the 83' throwbacks during every home day game this season, not just Sundays. Word is the SOX brass are considering it.

I think JR and his executive team have always liked these uniforms because they represent the first mark on the team since taking it over. They do bring back good memories of Fisk, Lukinski, Kittle, Hoyt, Seaver, etc. I just think the red/blue caps would match up so much better as the "SOX" would be white on both the jersey and on the cap. Like the picture of LaRussa below. I'm not sure if they ever actually wore this combo or whether the camera flash below just washed out the gray to make the jersey look white in this picture. I know that's not Comiskey in the background, so I assume they are on the road when this picture was taken...

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/Allen2112/Other%20Stuff/SOX83Uniforms_zps8772ddca.jpg

doublem23
04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I generally find these jerseys to be pretty ugly, but I'm not going to lie... They looked pretty good yesterday. I think I am going to get tired of seeing them every Sunday home game, though

amsteel
04-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I love the numbers on the pants.

gregoriop
04-08-2013, 09:46 AM
They are pretty ugly, especially the hats.

kba
04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I love that they included the 1983 All-Star game patch on the sleeve of the throwbacks.

But what happened here? (http://www.uni-watch.com/wp-content/uploads/photo37.jpg) (Spotted by Paul Lukas on Uni-watch.com)

TomBradley72
04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
i have to admit, it was fun seeing the 83' throwback uniforms yesterday. I also think the belt loops improved the uniforms compared to the original navy, elastic waistband.

one thing i still don't like are the montreal expos-like three color caps. I always thought the two tone red/blue cap matched up better, just like the batting helmets.

i've read that most of the players liked the uniforms and beckham even suggested that they wear the 83' throwbacks during every home day game this season, not just sundays. Word is the sox brass are considering it.

I think jr and his executive team have always liked these uniforms because they represent the first mark on the team since taking it over. They do bring back good memories of fisk, lukinski, kittle, hoyt, seaver, etc. I just think the red/blue caps would match up so much better as the "sox" would be white on both the jersey and on the cap. Like the picture of larussa below. I'm not sure if they ever actually wore this combo or whether the camera flash below just washed out the gray to make the jersey look white in this picture. I know that's not comiskey in the background, so i assume they are on the road when this picture was taken...

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/allen2112/other%20stuff/sox83uniforms_zps8772ddca.jpg

+1

Golden Sox
04-08-2013, 10:23 AM
When JR bought the White Sox after the 1980 season the new ownership received more mail complaining about Bill Veecks ugly uniforms than anything else. I was surprised they replaced the 83 uniforms in the late 1980's with another uniform. It seems like the White Sox got it right when they came up with the black and silver uniforms late in the 1990 season.

TheOldRoman
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
First off, those are ugly uniforms. Pretty much every new uniform in MLB between 1970 and 1992 was terrible, and I am happy with what the Sox wear now (put the diamond sock back on the grays!). These were the softballiest of the silly softball uniforms of that era.

That being said, I will always have a soft spot for uniforms. Not just because the Sox won a division in them, but because they represent my childhood, even if I was too young to remember the Sox wearing them.

I think they looked damn good yesterday. The Sox again did a great job by ordering red shoes, undershirts and catchers' equipment (I'm sure they'll get a new helmet for Flowers shortly). I didn't like that they went with belts instead of the elastic which was worn at the time, but at least Majestic fixed the problem with the gigantic collars they had on throwbacks for the past 8 or so years. Other than the belts and the uniforms not being skin tight with the pants legs pulled up, these were as authentic as any throwback you'll see.

I think the Sox wearing them every Sunday is perfect. Not overkill yet. However, wearing them for all weekday games would be too much, and likely lead to a large contingent of younger people calling for the Sox to wear these full time. Let's not encourage that.

Hitmen77
04-08-2013, 10:41 AM
I think those '83 uniforms look pretty ugly. They looked pretty ugly back then and they look even uglier now. I hope they're not going to extend them to every home day game. Seeing these tacky jerseys on Sundays is more than enough.

When I was a kid, the Sox bounced from lousy uniform design to lousy uniform design. Thank goodness they came to their senses and went back to a classic design in 1990. I appreciate the tribute to the '83 team, but let's stop reliving the ugly uniforms already.

I can't wait for throwback Sundays later this decade that will feature shorts, uniforms with collars, and uniforms with the "Einhorn E" caps.

russ99
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
First off, those are ugly uniforms. Pretty much every new uniform in MLB between 1970 and 1992 was terrible, and I am happy with what the Sox wear now (put the diamond sock back on the grays!). These were the softballiest of the silly softball uniforms of that era.

That being said, I will always have a soft spot for uniforms. Not just because the Sox won a division in them, but because they represent my childhood, even if I was too young to remember the Sox wearing them.

I think they looked damn good yesterday. The Sox again did a great job by ordering red shoes, undershirts and catchers' equipment (I'm sure they'll get a new helmet for Flowers shortly). I didn't like that they went with belts instead of the elastic which was worn at the time, but at least Majestic fixed the problem with the gigantic collars they had on throwbacks for the past 8 or so years. Other than the belts and the uniforms not being skin tight with the pants legs pulled up, these were as authentic as any throwback you'll see.

I think the Sox wearing them every Sunday is perfect. Not overkill yet. However, wearing them for all weekday games would be too much, and likely lead to a large contingent of younger people calling for the Sox to wear these full time. Let's not encourage that.

Agree. These uniforms overall are pretty awful - half 80's Expos and half 80's Astros. But they bring back good memories. :D:

Our current standard home uniforms are the best Sox uniforms of my lifetime, and I was born in the 60s. Wearing these on Sundays are enough.

SOXPHILE
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I thought it was pretty neat seeing those uniform. I felt like I was 13 years old again. They are pretty ugly, but it's the novelty of seeing them like this that I like. Having them for only Sunday home games is fine. Any more, and the whole novelty, unique-ness of it starts to wear off. That's what I think would happen if they start expanding it and wearing them for all home day games. Then it starts to get ridiculous. You wear your main uniform (the current one is still the best as far as I'm concerned), and then a few times a year, you pull out a throwback like these to wear. That should be it.

Moses_Scurry
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Love 'em. They took me back to my childhood. I don't think they're ugly at all, and I'd love to get one.

My_Sox_Summer
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
This uniform was my first exposure (that I remember) to Sox baseball. Two kids in my class (twins) got the uniforms after a trip to the park. I was very jealous and always wanted that jersey.

I now own the away grey version and the home white. Love it.

They looked awesome yesterday.

Moses_Scurry
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Agree. These uniforms overall are pretty awful - half 80's Expos and half 80's Astros. But they bring back good memories. :D:

Our current standard home uniforms are the best Sox uniforms of my lifetime, and I was born in the 60s. Wearing these on Sundays are enough.
The '80's Expos unis are my favorite non-Sox uniforms of all time. If I were to buy a non-Sox jersey is would be the white Expo Tim Raines.

chicagowhitesox1
04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
The designers deff made these uniforms look better than what they were in the 80's but they are still ugly uniforms and I thought they were ugly as a kid too. I would rather see an updated version of the 1977 Whitesox.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Red:

The photo of Tony was snapped in Anaheim Stadium in September 1983. He was wearing the road grey uniform.

Considering what the Sox were wearing before these came out in April 1982, I was very happy with them...and still am.

I think using them on Sunday home games is the right mix.

Lip

DonnieDarko
04-08-2013, 12:22 PM
They are pretty ugly, especially the hats.

This. This, this, this. Only worse uniforms I've seen were those God-awful Astros uniforms from around the same time, if I remember correctly (might have been the 70s).

I get celebrating the team and all...but ugh, those uniforms offend my fashion sense to great extremes.

Lamp81
04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
1983 the Sox were winning ugly and looking ugly. Although I have very fond memories of this time period, never a fan of those uniforms. I liked the ones they replaced it with in '87-'90 (except for the "e" hat).

I also like the current design, but would like a another color thrown in. After seeing the '72 reds last year, I'd like to go back to '59 and do a red/black combo (using the red cap at home and the black on the road). I also really like the St Pattys green pinstripes. A green/black combo would look fantastic. You could really tie that into the South Side Irish of Chicago.

Red Barchetta
04-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Red:

The photo of Tony was snapped in Anaheim Stadium in September 1983. He was wearing the road grey uniform.

Considering what the Sox were wearing before these came out in April 1982, I was very happy with them...and still am.

Lip

That's what I thought. However, the gray in the photo looks very light, almost white.

I still think the blue/red cap would look better with the home white uniforms because then white "SOX" would match both the jersey and cap. I always thought the red/white/blue home caps looked too much like the Expos (who had nice uniforms), just not for the SOX.

Red Barchetta
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
1983 the Sox were winning ugly and looking ugly. Although I have very fond memories of this time period, never a fan of those uniforms. I liked the ones they replaced it with in '87-'90 (except for the "e" hat).

I also like the current design, but would like a another color thrown in. After seeing the '72 reds last year, I'd like to go back to '59 and do a red/black combo (using the red cap at home and the black on the road). I also really like the St Pattys green pinstripes. A green/black combo would look fantastic. You could really tie that into the South Side Irish of Chicago.

If the SOX would ever change their current silver/black uniforms, I would like to see the Red/Black uniforms from that era make a comeback. I especially liked the numbers on the sleeves. The only change I would make to modernize the look would be to have the SOX script on the cap match the SOX script on the jerseys instead of the block-like SOX script on the caps.

Carolina Kenny
04-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Red:

Lip

I agree. They were a welocme change and only on Sundays is the right mix.

Ron Karkovice
04-08-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm a fan of throwback jerseys every sunday.

SaltyPretzel
04-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Not a huge fan. I'd rather see them wear actual white socks on Sundays.

bunkaroo
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
They definitely looked better than I thought they would, but I am also not a huge fan. Certainly not enough to spend $250 on one (I did buy an authentic '72 last year). I hate the hat too. I might get an all navy hat with a red bill if it has the "batterman" logo on it.

MushMouth
04-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I thought they looked great live... the red really popped, and the numbers on the pants is one of those long gone great touches. The hats are certainly the weak point, but something about them made me happy.

Especially the current throwback record: 1-0 :)

LITTLE NELL
04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
All these uniform changes down through the years have made no sense since we had a great design with the Go-Go team of the 50s. When you have a classic design why change. Kudos to the Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals, Tigers, Red Sox and Cubs for staying the course.

Nellie_Fox
04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
I thought they were hideous then, and nothing has happened to change my mind.

LITTLE NELL
04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
I thought they were hideous then, and nothing has happened to change my mind.

You got that right.

Noneck
04-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Hated them then and still do. Probably the uniform I saw the least in my 50+ years of watching the Sox due to being worn during their ontv fiasco. I guess there was a bright spot to that era.

vinny
04-08-2013, 04:04 PM
In my childhood memory, these unis looks great. But now they just look ugly.

Also, did anybody click through Uni Watch to the blatant ripoff of the 83 Sox logo by streetwear clothing brand Lifted Research Group?

http://shop.l-r-g.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/319x376/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/C/1/C131010NA94_1.jpg

The style is called "South Sider".

jdm2662
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
They were the first uniforms I was introduced to. I didn't care for them when I was 8, and don't really care for them now.

kobo
04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I was 7 years old in 83 and so I have a soft spot for the uniform. Loved em back then and still do to this day. I thought they looked great yesterday and can't wait to get to a Sunday game and see them in person.

SI1020
04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
The uniform is ugly, but sometimes not often ugly can be endearing. I love those uniforms and the 83 team is my second favorite in my lifetime, even though I was around and remember 59. I do agree that only on Sunday is quite enough.

mahagga73
04-08-2013, 06:51 PM

The Padres looked like a bunch of tacos back in the day. Those were real bad.

Dsell93
04-08-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm surprised there're so many people who aren't fond of them on here. I myself love em, just wish they'd give a nod to the stirrups or at least pulling up the Sox. I know, I know. Out of style. Still, it'd be neat! :D:

Red Barchetta
04-08-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm surprised there're so many people who aren't fond of them on here. I myself love em, just wish they'd give a nod to the stirrups or at least pulling up the Sox. I know, I know. Out of style. Still, it'd be neat! :D:

I'm surprised as well. Especially considering all of the merchandise I've seen over the years for this uniform, colors, etc. I know they are marketing the 83 gear for this season, but I've seen the caps, jerseys, and other SOXMAN gear on a steady basis over the years. I always thought it was because they were popular.

Frater Perdurabo
04-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm fine with featuring this throwback on Sunday day games once each decade.

Six years within each forthcoming decade lend themselves to featuring a previous Sox team's uniforms: 1990, 1983, 2005/2008 (no change needed), 1906, 1917, 1959. Not sure what to do about years ending in 1, 2 or 4.

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I have a fondness for those uniforms since there is a photo of me wearing that uniform when I was about a month old. I prefer the two-tone home caps as opposed the ones they wore on the road, I wish the helmet looked like the hat. I think they looked good but they are probably best worn once a week for a year, if they were worn every day I would probably be sick of them. I know some people think they are ugly, but really there were a lot of uniforms worn in baseball around that time that looked far worse. The Pirates' uniforms around that time comes to mind.

Iron Dragon2
04-08-2013, 11:45 PM
I love these uniforms and am really looking forward to a Sunday game this year! When I saw them on Sunday, memories came flooding back. BTW, I was 6 in 1983.

asindc
04-09-2013, 12:20 AM
The unis are ugly. Thought so then, think so now, although for some reason this year's version looks a little better to me. I do like the tribute, however.

Bobby Thigpen
04-09-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm fine with featuring this throwback on Sunday day games once each decade.

Six years within each forthcoming decade lend themselves to featuring a previous Sox team's uniforms: 1990, 1983, 2005/2008 (no change needed), 1906, 1917, 1959. Not sure what to do about years ending in 1, 2 or 4.
Despite the 90 team probably being my favorite team ever, I would think the 2000 team was more influential and historical than the 90 version.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2013, 01:27 AM
I'm surprised as well. Especially considering all of the merchandise I've seen over the years for this uniform, colors, etc. I know they are marketing the 83 gear for this season, but I've seen the caps, jerseys, and other SOXMAN gear on a steady basis over the years. I always thought it was because they were popular.Justin Bieber is popular. Popular =/= good. Ever since the "throwback" trend started, people have latched on to the most bizarre and ugly as the ones to wear, in all sports.

The unis are ugly. Thought so then, think so now, although for some reason this year's version looks a little better to me. I do like the tribute, however.Maybe the belt instead of the wide elastic waist band?

Frater Perdurabo
04-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Despite the 90 team probably being my favorite team ever, I would think the 2000 team was more influential and historical than the 90 version.

Probably so. Good call.

Railsplitter
04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
1976-1986 represented the Dark Age for Sox uniforms.

doublem23
04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Maybe the belt instead of the wide elastic waist band?

I think that's got a lot to do with it. I also think that players today prefer a baggier look to their jerseys, especially the pants. I know some of the old timers rag on that look, but the 1983 jerseys took it to an extreme. Look at how tight the pants on these guys are:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/82-GREG-LUZINSKI-HAROLD-BAINES-STEVE-KEMP-Chicago-White-Sox-Glossy-Photo-8x10-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjky/$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG+(tBP8kutOQlg~~60_35.JPG

They may as well be painted on. For reference, here's how the ones the wore Sunday looked:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/11165449/20130407_mjm_ag5_093.0_standard_352.0.jpg

I know a lot of traditionalists don't like the long pants, but I'd say that the latter looks a lot more like a baseball uniform while the former looks like a track suit.

Also, not sure if this is true or not, but I'd also wager the current throwbacks are still made with modern fabric blends while the '83 jerseys were basically all polyester, right? I think that has a lot to do with it. The fabric in the top picture just has a dated, '80s look to it, much more than the bottom pic even though it's the same jersey design.

But yeah, the belt makes such a huge difference. I was very surprised on Sunday at how much I liked the way the throwbacks looked. They were great.

TheOldRoman
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
The throwbacks are made of doubleknit polyester, the same as the originals.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
I think that's got a lot to do with it. I also think that players today prefer a baggier look to their jerseys, especially the pants. I know some of the old timers rag on that look, but the 1983 jerseys took it to an extreme. No, I was used to much baggier uniforms from the 50's and 60's. I never liked the skin tight uniforms.

I know a lot of traditionalists don't like the long pants, but I'd say that the latter looks a lot more like a baseball uniform while the former looks like a track suit. I know I don't like the long pants. And I REALLY don't like that some wear them, some don't. The team should all be the same.

But yeah, the belt makes such a huge difference. I was very surprised on Sunday at how much I liked the way the throwbacks looked. They were great.Yeah, the belt was a significant improvement over the wide elastic that looked like a girdle.

Crestani
04-09-2013, 01:26 PM
The '83 Sox uniforms are the ugliest uniforms ever put on a Major League Team with one eception....The Houston Astros...!!!

Just my thoughts..

Crestani
04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
The '83 Sox uniforms are the ugliest uniforms ever put on a Major League Team with one exception....The Houston Astros..!!

Just my thoughts..[/QUOTE]

TDog
04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I generally find these jerseys to be pretty ugly, but I'm not going to lie... They looked pretty good yesterday. I think I am going to get tired of seeing them every Sunday home game, though

I didn't see the game and missed Quick Pitch on Sunday night, only seeing a quick highlight of the Viciedo home run, but I agree. The uniforms hold a nostalgic value, and it brings back memories of the 1983 team. By the time they were left behind for the blacki and silver, they seemed ugly, although they seemed a quantum upgrade from Veeck uniforms.

The general consensus around the country was that the 1983 uniforms were ugly after replacing ugly. The Sporting News, when it was still considered the baseball bible, ran a picture of Floyd Bannister's contorted face and pitch delivery from the SOX up on the big cover late in the 1983 season with the headline Winning Ugly. I think Doug Rader's comment resonated so much because so many considered the uniform ugly.

Red Barchetta
04-09-2013, 04:39 PM
I think that's got a lot to do with it. I also think that players today prefer a baggier look to their jerseys, especially the pants. I know some of the old timers rag on that look, but the 1983 jerseys took it to an extreme. Look at how tight the pants on these guys are:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/82-GREG-LUZINSKI-HAROLD-BAINES-STEVE-KEMP-Chicago-White-Sox-Glossy-Photo-8x10-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjky/$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG+(tBP8kutOQlg~~60_35.JPG

They may as well be painted on. For reference, here's how the ones the wore Sunday looked:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/11165449/20130407_mjm_ag5_093.0_standard_352.0.jpg

I know a lot of traditionalists don't like the long pants, but I'd say that the latter looks a lot more like a baseball uniform while the former looks like a track suit.

Also, not sure if this is true or not, but I'd also wager the current throwbacks are still made with modern fabric blends while the '83 jerseys were basically all polyester, right? I think that has a lot to do with it. The fabric in the top picture just has a dated, '80s look to it, much more than the bottom pic even though it's the same jersey design.

But yeah, the belt makes such a huge difference. I was very surprised on Sunday at how much I liked the way the throwbacks looked. They were great.

I grew up playing ball during that era and we wore the tight pants with the high side stirrups where you didn't see the top. Just a sign of the times I guess. Sort of glad that the players today wear their uniforms a little looser. Imagine the Big Donkey in those pants! :?::D:

I personally would love to see the SOX wear 1920-ish replica uniforms where they actually wear white socks and would not be allowed to wear the long pants down to the shoes. I think those would be great for Sunday afternoon games! I think these would look good modernized with full button-down jerseys and maybe the SOX logo on the caps.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/Allen2112/Other%20Stuff/1919SOXUniforms_zpsbf9258e4.gif

LITTLE NELL
04-09-2013, 05:36 PM
The '83 Sox uniforms are the ugliest uniforms ever put on a Major League Team with one eception....The Houston Astros...!!!

Just my thoughts..

The 83 were bad but but the ones previous were the all time worst.
I was almost embarrassed to be a Sox fan the years when that uniform was worn.

mahagga73
04-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Just my thoughts..
Really?http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ki5EPOdCHyM/SfeDbVjosRI/AAAAAAAAB1g/kAS_c_R0qx0/s400/padres70s.jpg (http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47528&start=10)

mahagga73
04-09-2013, 07:54 PM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4854916036101136&pid=15.1or these?

JimmyJames
04-10-2013, 08:34 PM
I saw a team photo with the '83 throwbacks and it looked like Beckham and a couple other guys were wearing a throwback blue sweatshirt. Anyone know where I could get my hands on one of those? They looked really sharp.

DSpivack
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I grew up playing ball during that era and we wore the tight pants with the high side stirrups where you didn't see the top. Just a sign of the times I guess. Sort of glad that the players today wear their uniforms a little looser. Imagine the Big Donkey in those pants! :?::D:

I personally would love to see the SOX wear 1920-ish replica uniforms where they actually wear white socks and would not be allowed to wear the long pants down to the shoes. I think those would be great for Sunday afternoon games! I think these would look good modernized with full button-down jerseys and maybe the SOX logo on the caps.

I don't mind the team being patriotic or whatever, but I think the camo hat look just downright stupid.

I would love to bring back the red, white, & blue uniform as worn in the 1917 season (and why not commemorate a champion, while we're at it):

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1917_chicago.gif

Red Barchetta
04-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I saw a team photo with the '83 throwbacks and it looked like Beckham and a couple other guys were wearing a throwback blue sweatshirt. Anyone know where I could get my hands on one of those? They looked really sharp.

They have a bunch of 83 merchandise on the SOX website. The sweatshirt you may have seen could be one of the following items. I'm not a big fan of the 83 uniforms, but it is nice to get some SOX gear that isn't gray or black. The navy blue and red merchandise is pretty cool!

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/Allen2112/Other%20Stuff/SOX83pullover_zps8d561fad.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/Allen2112/Other%20Stuff/SOX83Jacket_zps7e1f0f8f.jpg