PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Take That Felix Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Great comeback against the King.

voodoochile
04-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Nice win. Reed looks like he's going to be fine in the closer role. He's already closed out a couple of 1-run games without any trouble.

:soxwin:

Frater Perdurabo
04-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Good bounceback victory. Take the series tomorrow.

Past performance suggests Keppinger will hit. But whoa, is he bad at the plate right now.

Nelfox02
04-06-2013, 03:24 PM
nice to get a win on a day where I had low expectations. Axelrod stepped up, huge bomb by rios

If Sale pitches us to win tomorrow, nice opening week at home

Zakath
04-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Nice to see Alex starting off the season well, since his last two odd-numbered years have been :puking:. Second-stringers did pretty well against the King.

Sale needs to go out and take the series tomorrow before the long road trip.

October26
04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
I tuned in late today but enjoyed seeing the Rios homer and a nice come back win by the Sox. I like to see Reed pitch quick and easy top of the 9th innings to get the save.

SI1020
nice to get a win on a day where I had low expectations. Axelrod stepped up, huge bomb by rios

If Sale pitches us to win tomorrow, nice opening week at home Very happy about that because Quintana has me worried. A good win against a real Cy Young pitcher.

Brian26
Nice win. Reed looks like he's going to be fine in the closer role. He's already closed out a couple of 1-run games without any trouble.

Yes, he looks great. His offspeed pitch and the slider are working. He's getting ahead early. Three saves so far...a save in each win.

Brian26
04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Gillaspie is a humble young guy. I think Hawk got a kick out of Conor calling him "sir" during the postgamer.

shingo10
04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
That is a huge win. Huge. Our 5th started against their ace. If we can get the series tomorrow then I'll be feeling pretty good about us.

The amount of errors we've made is a little concerning to this point but hopefully we shore that up soon.

October26
04-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Gillaspie is a humble young guy. I think Hawk got a kick out of Conor calling him "sir" during the postgamer.

Aww, that is nice to hear. I did not get to see the post game show (I am racing out the door) but I'm glad to hear of a young player or person respecting his elders.

Boondock Saint
04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
That is a huge win. Huge. Our 5th started against their ace. If we can get the series tomorrow then I'll be feeling pretty good about us.

The amount of errors we've made is a little concerning to this point but hopefully we shore that up soon.

Absolutely. Axelrod vs. King Felix, no Konerko, no Viciedo, no Flowers, and they still won. This is a win that they weren't supposed to have, and they got it anyway.

TomBradley72
04-06-2013, 03:44 PM
We beat King Felix with our "B Team" line up and our #6 starter- I'll take it.

Golden Sox
04-06-2013, 03:45 PM
There are trials and tribulations in every baseball season. Last nights loss was certainly a tough one. Coming back today with our 5th starter going against Seattles $175 million dollar pitcher and winning the game is convincing me more and more that this White Sox team of 2013 is a Team Of Destiny. This is going to be an exciting season as the White Sox march into the 2013 Playoffs.

soxnut1018
04-06-2013, 03:47 PM
We rested half our starters, pitched our #5, and still beat one of the best pitchers in baseball. With Sale on the bump tomorrow, this has a chance to be a real nice homestand to open the season.

Tlou_2lMLAc

delben91
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Didn't see the game, but reading the online summary seems like Gillaspie has a solid game?

voodoochile
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Yes, he looks great. His offspeed pitch and the slider are working. He's getting ahead early. Three saves so far...a save in each win.

So he's on pace for 95 pr so that should be some kind of record I would think...:tongue:

Bucky F. Dent
04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Let's win the series, boys! Liking our new kid: Conor Gillaspie

LITTLE NELL
04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Let's win the series, boys! Liking our new kid: Conor Gillaspie

How was Gillaspie in the field.
We could easily be going for a 6-0 homestand but I'll take 4-2.

blandman
04-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Anytime you beat King Felix it's big, but Axelrod is the bigger story here. How does he continue to defy odds? He doesn't have MLB stuff, yet continues to get results. Baffling. :gulp:

Carolina Kenny
04-06-2013, 04:32 PM

It seems that Conor can hit. Hitting lefty and throwing right is nice.
I don't know how accomplished he is in the field? He seems ok so far.
He said he almost had several panic attacks today with it being such a big start for him.

He never got a chance in SF so its all new ground. At only 25 he could have a bright future on the Southside.

Hell, he has already exceeded Kevin Bell.

central44
04-06-2013, 04:42 PM
It seems that Conor can hit. Hitting lefty and throwing right is nice.
I don't know how accomplished he is in the field? He seems ok so far.
He said he almost had several panic attacks today with it being such a big start for him.

He never got a chance in SF so its all new ground. At only 25 he could have a bright future on the Southside.

Hell, he has already exceeded Kevin Bell.

I know it's foolish of me to think this way and should probably be in deep pink, but i'm rooting for him to turn into our 2013 Carlos Quentin. Seems like he has a ton of talent and just needs the opportunity to play every day to realize it.

DrCrawdad
04-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Anytime you beat King Felix it's big, but Axelrod is the bigger story here. How does he continue to defy odds? He doesn't have MLB stuff, yet continues to get results. Baffling. :gulp:

Axelrod was described by the Mariner radio broadcasters as pitching like the right handed version of a crafty lefty. I think that is fairly accurate.

Frater Perdurabo
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I know it's foolish of me to think this way and should probably be in deep pink, but i'm rooting for him to turn into our 2013 Carlos Quentin. Seems like he has a ton of talent and just needs the opportunity to play every day to realize it.

I know it seems like I have a problem with Keppinger, but I don't, and I felt this way before the season began. If Beckham continues to produce well, the best possible scenario would be for Gillaspie to play so well that Robin cannot bench him, which would allow Keppinger to be the infield super-sub.

ZombieRob
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Axelrod was described by the Mariner radio broadcasters as pitching like the right handed version of a crafty lefty. I think that is fairly accurate.
No slight against Axelrod, but his style reminds of a typical 4th or 5th starter N.L style pitcher.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Shades of Paul Byrd, who always seemed to give the Sox problems.

DrCrawdad
04-06-2013, 05:27 PM

No slight against Axelrod, but his style reminds of a typical 4th or 5th starter N.L style pitcher.

5.2 IP
4 Hits
1 ER

I'll take it!

Lip Man 1
04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
An unexpected win against one of the best around. You take it and thank the baseball gods.

Lip

lpneck
04-06-2013, 05:42 PM

I get what you are saying, but they also could easily be 1-4.

As everyone else is saying, today's win was really significant. They basically traded out the win they needed yesterday for the game they should have lost on paper today.

It doesn't seem like game 6 of a 162 game season should be a big game tomorrow, but I feel like it's really important. Win and you are 4-2, have won two straight series and two straight games, and leave town in first place with momentum. Lose and you are 3-3 and feeling like you left wins on the table before you go play the best team in the National League.

The Sox ace needs to do tomorrow what the Mariners ace couldn't today.

amsteel
04-06-2013, 06:01 PM
If the Sox think they're going anywhere this season they can't be splitting home stands against the non AL elite. Win tomorrow for some momentum before heading to DC.

Falstaff
04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking Paul Splittorf of KC.
Anyway, a nice win, and Ax reminds me a young Mark Buerhle;
not overpowering but effective. You know MB didnt even make his
team as soph in High School, yet exceeded expectations ever since.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking Paul Splittorf of KC.
Anyway, a nice win, and Ax reminds me a young Mark Buerhle;
not overpowering but effective. You know MB didnt even make his
team as soph in High School, yet exceeded expectations ever since.

Sounds like another Chicago athlete we're familiar with. :cool:

slavko
04-06-2013, 06:22 PM

I missed the game, but Ax has a great slider with downward movement (and as you say can't break a pane of glass otherwise). He's had a few nice starts here, can't pitch out of the pen though.

Zakath
04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
An unexpected win against one of the best around. You take it and thank the baseball gods.

Lip

King Felix is now 3-5 against the Sox and 1-5 in The Cell. The only team in the AL that he's worse against is the Angels.

Over By There
04-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Sounds like another Chicago athlete we're familiar with. :cool:

Apparently the transitive property has gotten us to Axelrod=Jordan? :tongue:

kittle42
04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Why pitch Nate Jones after he threw two innings (and sucked) yesterday?

vinny
04-06-2013, 07:55 PM

He got hammered yesterday because he pitched too long and was gassed. Keep him to an inning and he's fine.

central44
04-06-2013, 08:04 PM
I get what you are saying, but they also could easily be 1-4.

As everyone else is saying, today's win was really significant. They basically traded out the win they needed yesterday for the game they should have lost on paper today.

It doesn't seem like game 6 of a 162 game season should be a big game tomorrow, but I feel like it's really important. Win and you are 4-2, have won two straight series and two straight games, and leave town in first place with momentum. Lose and you are 3-3 and feeling like you left wins on the table before you go play the best team in the National League.

The Sox ace needs to do tomorrow what the Mariners ace couldn't today.

Agreed. This was a makeup win for yesterday. After what we endured last year, it should be clear that every game does have meaning and this is a great one to win.

Really happy that Axelrod performed well. He might not be the best pitcher, but having that kind of rotation depth is a luxury that bodes well for the Sox. Having him compete with Quintana for that 5th spot when Danks comes back can only help the team as a whole.

cards press box
04-06-2013, 08:49 PM
How was Gillaspie in the field.

Gillaspie did very well in the field. He started a fine 5-3 double play in the 5th that may have been the key play in the ballgame.

Getting back on the horse, I think.

cards press box
04-06-2013, 08:53 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPcYJFOpOI_Q6bvayvz0vScaFTTO7WJ iao8PsPW1rCr5a9gdkFfw
The Sox started their 6th starter/swingman and beat King Felix? You're kiddin' me?

Nope, not kidding. That's a White Sox winner!

mattcoz
04-06-2013, 09:08 PM
My fantasy team's pitchers have 2 losses this week, both to the Sox, and I'll take that every week! Good thing that Sale got me a win. :cool:

Railsplitter
04-06-2013, 09:26 PM
:bandance:

Back above .500, let's stay there

StillMissOzzie
04-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Nice win today, bouncing back after yesterday's heartbreaker. The Sox #6 starter vs. King Felix, I sure didn't like that matchup, but a W is a W.

With Sale going out for his 2nd start, I like our chances of being 4-2 with two series victories.

SMO
:gulp:

Hitmen77
04-06-2013, 09:53 PM
As others have said, can't complain when our #5 starter beats the other team's ace (who is also on of the elite starters in the AL).

:thumbsup:

Brewski
04-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Just looked at the replay. I'm impressed with Reed, like his confidence in the slider, nice control in the strike zone. He was OK last year, but he seems to be on a different level right now. He's here to stay as closer. May as well say the same for the whole bullpen. I like what I see.

Starters too. If these guys score some runs it could be a fun year.

Don't make me look bad, guys.:smile:

Mohoney
04-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Did anybody else think that Reed got squeezed a little in the 9th? I think it made his performance even more impressive.

doublem23
04-06-2013, 11:11 PM

The M's don't exactly throw out a high octane softball team out there, but yeah, he and Santiago are very valuable players to have. Good win.

JB98
04-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Axelrod does NOT remind me of a "young Mark Buehrle," but that was a nice effort today. Good win against one of the elite pitchers in the American League.

SoxSpeed22
04-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Whoever came up with Paul Byrd, I like that comparison better. We've had some success against Felix compared to a lot of other teams. Let's win this series tomorrow.

amsteel
04-07-2013, 01:02 AM
I find it odd that people here lose their **** more when the Sox lose to whatever back end starter the Royals throw out there as opposed to beating a Cy Young winning perfect game throwing ace.

lpneck
04-07-2013, 02:06 AM
I find it odd that people here lose their **** more when the Sox lose to whatever back end starter the Royals throw out there as opposed to beating a Cy Young winning perfect game throwing ace.

I'm sure there's an 8 page thread on the Mariners message board griping about being shut down by "Cy" Axelrod.

KMcMahon817
04-07-2013, 09:38 AM
It has been a great start to the year. Axe looked very solid yesterday - great to see. Now we just need Mr. Danks to get healty (fingers crossed).

Chez
04-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Anytime Ax makes it to the 6th with the Sox still within striking distance, I'm happy. He pitched well yesterday, but I'm just not a fan. Leaving for the park in 30 minutes and am hoping to see Sale and the Sox take the series.

doublem23
04-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Axelrod does NOT remind me of a "young Mark Buehrle," but that was a nice effort today. Good win against one of the elite pitchers in the American League.

No, I agree. If there's a "Buehrle"-esque pitcher on this staff, it's Quintana when he's sharp, but even that is a considerable compliment to Jose.

RealFan
04-07-2013, 11:56 AM
5.2 IP
4 Hits
1 ER

I'll take it!

IIRC, the run was actually unearned. Passed ball and E 3 plated that run.

TaylorStSox
04-07-2013, 02:37 PM

A. He's extremely important to this team.
B. When a reliever gets rocked you want to get him back out there as quickly as possible to clear his head.