PDA

View Full Version : Stay Classy, Texas

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Hamilton's Wife Called Security Due to Taunts & Insults (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9141608/josh-hamilton-los-angeles-angels-wife-called-security-game-texas-rangers)

Amazing what people will do over laundry. Hamilton decides he wants to play somewhere else, and people harass his wife.

chicagowhitesox1
04-06-2013, 02:58 PM
I think Hamilton is a phony and theres not a city in MLB that wouldn't have booed him. (Except for maybe St Louis). Hamilton didn't help matters by calling Texas a non baseball town before the game either. I personally feel Hamilton views fans as people who are lower than him so it wouldn't surprise me if his wife went a little overboard on this.

soxnut1018
04-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I'll never understand fans who boo great players for leaving. He helped revitalize baseball in Texas and lead them to their only two world series appearances. You don't have to cheer him, but harassing his wife is beyond ridiculous.

getonbckthr
04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
What those people did is wrong. Here's the thing what did Hamilton truly expect? You left their team for a rival, they aren't gonna like you anymore. Then you talk **** about them personally, now they are gonna hate you. Add in lots of alcohol and the human nature of gang-like mentality and this is what happens.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
What those people did is wrong. Here's the thing what did Hamilton truly expect? You left their team for a rival, they aren't gonna like you anymore. Then you talk **** about them personally, now they are gonna hate you. Add in lots of alcohol and the human nature of gang-like mentality and this is what happens.

I'm sure he expected to be booed, and he did, in fact, indicate that the boos didn't bother either him or his wife. What he was most upset by was the language used within earshot of his children. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to tone down their language around kids, nor do I think it's appropriate for people to harass Hamilton's wife, who still lives in the area.

getonbckthr
04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm sure he expected to be booed, and he did, in fact, indicate that the boos didn't bother either him or his wife. What he was most upset by was the language used within earshot of his children. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to tone down their language around kids, nor do I think it's appropriate for people to harass Hamilton's wife, who still lives in the area.

Right its not appropriate but people suck. Honestly if I was him I wouldn't have let my family go to this series and maybe any game in Texas all year. Thats just me.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Right its not appropriate but people suck. Honestly if I was him I wouldn't have let my family go to this series and maybe any game in Texas all year. Thats just me.

Well, I'm sure his wife and children won't be attending any games that he's not playing in, so it's unlikely they'll be at Rangers games unless the Angels are in town. In any event, I would hope that Rangers fans get this out of their system this weekend, so that they can leave Hamilton and his family alone. If they want to boo Josh because he chose to play elsewhere, that's their business. Shouting obscenities at his wife and kids? Uncalled for.

Bobby Thigpen
04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
. I personally feel Hamilton views fans as people who are lower than him so it wouldn't surprise me if his wife went a little overboard on this.
Given the way people over worship professional athletes, can you blame some of them for thinking they're above some people? Not saying it justifies it, but if you had people falling all over themselves in your mere presence, I doubt any of us would be real grounded.

There are those that are, but not many of the big timers.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Given the way people over worship professional athletes, can you blame some of them for thinking they're above some people? Not saying it justifies it, but if you had people falling all over themselves in your mere presence, I doubt any of us would be real grounded.

There are those that are, but not many of the big timers.

I don't want to steer this thread in the wrong direction, but I wonder if people's perception of Hamilton is influenced by the fact that he's open about his religious beliefs, which may make some uncomfortable. I don't he's anywhere near as obnoxious about his faith as Tebow, whom I find to be one of sport biggest attention whores, but I wonder if his background has a negative effect on how people view him.

Frater Perdurabo
04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
I'll keep it simple.

Josh Hamilton is a douche who put up great numbers but always seemed to have an excuse for crapping the bed too often.

There are many quality Rangers fans and many quality Texans, but there are also a lot of douchebag Texans and many of them go to Rangers games.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I'll keep it simple.

Josh Hamilton is a douche who put up great numbers but always seemed to have an excuse for crapping the bed too often.

There are many quality Rangers fans and many quality Texans, but there are also a lot of douchebag Texans and many of them go to Rangers games.

Believe it or not, I actually see a fair number of similarities between Josh Hamilton and LeBron James (prior to winning the NBA Championship). Both have been regarded as "The Chosen One" in their respective sports, although James' rise to the top has been largely unencumbered by the personal setbacks that nearly destroyed Hamilton's life.

Hamilton seems to perform at an extremely high level without (apparently) expending a great deal of effort, which causes people to assume that he should produce at this clip all the time. His inability to produce in the biggest moments has frustrated fans who believe that he should be able to deliver whenever he's called up. Unfortunately, no one is that good.

chicagowhitesox1
04-06-2013, 04:59 PM
I don't want to steer this thread in the wrong direction, but I wonder if people's perception of Hamilton is influenced by the fact that he's open about his religious beliefs, which may make some uncomfortable. I don't he's anywhere near as obnoxious about his faith as Tebow, whom I find to be one of sport biggest attention whores, but I wonder if his background has a negative effect on how people view him.

I think i'm more mad at him because he killed me in this fantasy baseball league i'm in. I have to wonder if that played a part with my negative comments on him now. I still think he's a phony thougth.

DSpivack
04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Believe it or not, I actually see a fair number of similarities between Josh Hamilton and LeBron James (prior to winning the NBA Championship). Both have been regarded as "The Chosen One" in their respective sports, although James' rise to the top has been largely unencumbered by the personal setbacks that nearly destroyed Hamilton's life.

Hamilton seems to perform at an extremely high level without (apparently) expending a great deal of effort, which causes people to assume that he should produce at this clip all the time. His inability to produce in the biggest moments has frustrated fans who believe that he should be able to deliver whenever he's called up. Unfortunately, no one is that good.

The better comparison to me would perhaps be Bryce Harper. Hamilton was once a big time prospect, but was he ever the undisputed #1? Hamilton also had substance abuse problems, and returned from those. He stikes me as having an abrasive personality, but I wish him no ill will.

As for the second paragraph, I don't think James doesn't exude a great deal of effort (double negative, sorry). He might just make it look that easy because of his unique combination of size, strength, and athleticism. Hamilton seems one of the more gifted players in MLB, but not unusually so. He's not even the second best hitter on his team.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 05:40 PM
The better comparison to me would perhaps be Bryce Harper. Hamilton was once a big time prospect, but was he ever the undisputed #1? Hamilton also had substance abuse problems, and returned from those. He stikes me as having an abrasive personality, but I wish him no ill will.

As for the second paragraph, I don't think James doesn't exude a great deal of effort (double negative, sorry). He might just make it look that easy because of his unique combination of size, strength, and athleticism. Hamilton seems one of the more gifted players in MLB, but not unusually so. He's not even the second best hitter on his team.

He was selected first overall by Tampa Bay in 1999 and was named Minor League Player of the Year in 2000, so he was on track to be before drug problems delayed his ascent. As to your second point, that's why I included the word apparently, as James (and Hamilton) often appear to be putting forth less effort than they actually are, because of their superior abilities.

I agree that Trout and Pujols are better hitters, but I don't know that their presence in any way diminishes Hamilton's standing in Major League Baseball. He would be the best hitter on any other team he played for, save for the Detroit Tigers or the Los Angeles Dodgers. I actually think Justin Upton could be a better player if he can ever put together a full season of baseball played at a high level. He certainly has the tools.

DSpivack
04-06-2013, 05:46 PM
He was selected first overall by Tampa Bay in 1999 and was named Minor League Player of the Year in 2000, so he was on track to be before drug problems delayed his ascent. As to your second point, that's why I included the word apparently, as James (and Hamilton) often appear to be putting forth less effort than they actually are, because of their superior abilities.

I agree that Trout and Pujols are better hitters, but I don't know that their presence in any way diminishes Hamilton's standing in Major League Baseball. He would be the best hitter on any other team he played for, save for the Detroit Tigers or the Los Angeles Dodgers. I actually think Justin Upton could be a better player if he can ever put together a full season of baseball played at a high level. He certainly has the tools.

I thought more of Harper as I remember hearing of Harper when he was maybe 15 or 16, same thing with Lebron. Hamilton was the #1 pick, but I don't think he was as widely known as a young teenager.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 05:48 PM
I thought more of Harper as I remember hearing of Harper when he was maybe 15 or 16, same thing with Lebron. Hamilton was the #1 pick, but I don't think he was as widely known as a young teenager.

You may be right. I vaguely remember hearing Hamilton's name in 1997, but that's all I can recall before he was drafted.

getonbckthr
04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
The problem is simple really. Fans got upset their star went to the rival. Instead of keeping quiet or thanking the fans or anything he went the complete opposite and took shots at the fans. They went from being upset he left to being insulted. Add in lots of alcohol and clear thinking isn't exactly the most likely result.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 06:36 PM
The problem is simple really. Fans got upset their star went to the rival. Instead of keeping quiet or thanking the fans or anything he went the complete opposite and took shots at the fans. They went from being upset he left to being insulted. Add in lots of alcohol and clear thinking isn't exactly the most likely result.

I actually don't think he said anything inflammatory. Texas is not a baseball state. It's a football environment, and always has been. The Rangers will never approach the level of notoriety or popularity that the Cowboys have attained. Hamilton's comments may not have been well-received, but they were accurate.

Of course, I wonder if Hamilton took the time to consider that Los Angeles is a baseball city because of the Dodgers, not because of the Angels, who have always been Southern California's second team.

getonbckthr
04-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I actually don't think he said anything inflammatory. Texas is not a baseball state. It's a football environment, and always has been. The Rangers will never approach the level of notoriety or popularity that the Cowboys have attained. Hamilton's comments may not have been well-received, but they were accurate.

Of course, I wonder if Hamilton took the time to consider that Los Angeles is a baseball city because of the Dodgers, not because of the Angels, who have always been Southern California's second team.

Its just why even bring up the fans and agitate the situation?

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 06:52 PM

As I've said several times this week, I don't speculate on what I don't know about. Only Hamilton knows why he talked about the fans.

Frater Perdurabo
04-06-2013, 08:30 PM

I don't think Hamilton is the sharpest tool in the shed.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
I don't think Hamilton is the sharpest tool in the shed.

But he may be the biggest. :cool:

Edit: All of these guys seem to have attended the Terry Bevington School of Public Relations, presided over by President Phil Garner and Provost Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel.

amsteel
04-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Hamilton's whole deal is cute when he's playing well and reason to throw him to the wolves when he's playing poorly. Couple that with him absolutely no-showing at the end of last year and you've got a recipe for booing him.

The behavior with his wife is reprehensible, but what did he expect?

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 08:51 PM
The behavior with his wife is reprehensible, but what did he expect?

Who knows? She'd likely have encountered the same problems anywhere else, except perhaps for Miami, because no one wants to show up for eighty one days of the circus.

Saracen
04-06-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm curious why anyone would believe Josh when he says the taunts and insults were so bad? It's his usual MO to make drama drama drama of everything.

I'm sure there was booing, but I wouldn't put it past Josh to overplay the whole deal. He's a tremendous jackass. So is his wife. He was the most popular guy in town and brought all the ill will upon himself.

Never understand why fans boo a former great player? They don't, unless that former great player is a jackass to media, fans, and the organization.

Edit: and his has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with leaving the team in the lurch because he quit chewing tobacco, because his sunglasses wouldn't let him hit, because he gave up caffeine, for throwing his 3B coach under the bus when he was injured on a close play at the plate, for selling his clean & sober story than getting photographed shirtless with women doing body shots off his chest on an annual basis, the list goes on. And on.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Never understand why fans boo a former great player? They don't, unless that former great player is a jackass to media, fans, and the organization.

I remember Boston Red Sox fans booing Wade Boggs when he returned as a member of the New York Yankees (that may have been the reason in and of itself) in 1993. Granted, Boggs' final season in Boston was a joke (.259 batting average), but I don't remember him acting like an ass, aside from a dispute with Roger Clemens over the scoring of a grounder Boggs let slip under his glove while trying to backhand the ball.

Then again, they're Red Sox fans. The combination of arrogance and stupidity is a way of life for them.

Saracen
04-06-2013, 09:06 PM
He was being roundly jeered last year in the playoffs, while still a member of the team.

chicagowhitesox1
04-06-2013, 09:29 PM
He was being roundly jeered last year in the playoffs, while still a member of the team.

The fans pretty much knew he was leaving thats part of why he got booed. Most of it was because he choked in the playoffs though.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Never understand why fans boo a former great player? They don't, unless that former great player is a jackass to media, fans, and the organization.Absolutely untrue. I've seen plenty of guys get booed on their return. Hell, Twins fans booed A.J. mercilessly, even though he was traded, and was a very good player while with the Twins. When I ask Twins fans why they boo A.J., they don't seem to know why.

Cleveland fans booed Thome. Need I say more?

DSpivack
04-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Absolutely untrue. I've seen plenty of guys get booed on their return. Hell, Twins fans booed A.J. mercilessly, even though he was traded, and was a very good player while with the Twins. When I ask Twins fans why they boo A.J., they don't seem to know why.

(Some) Sox fans booed Frank Thomas, though only after giving him a standing ovation and once he hit the first of his 2 HRs that game. :tongue:

Saracen
04-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Absolutely untrue. I've seen plenty of guys get booed on their return. Hell, Twins fans booed A.J. mercilessly, even though he was traded, and was a very good player while with the Twins. When I ask Twins fans why they boo A.J., they don't seem to know why.

I can think of 2 returnees Rangers fans have ever booed - A-Rod and Hamilton. Michael Young will get a hand this year, so will Mike Napoli. Go all out, give it your best, you'll get cheers when you return. Dog it, get booed.

I can't explain Twins fans booing AJ and I certainly can't see why Thome would be booed.

WLL1855
04-07-2013, 12:31 AM

This sums it up. The Rangers are about the 3rd, maybe 4th, most popular team in Texas. Heck, some high school teams probably have more popularity than the Rangers do.

Whatever. Hate Hamilton all you want. I'm not going to worship the guy but he's far from the 'Barry Bonds school of jackassery' territory in my book.

Carneyman14
04-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I usually go down there for Sox vs Rangers. And that is Rangers fans for you. Its a football mentality towards baseball. Sox would win the 1st two games but it Texas wins the 3rd one. The A-holes down there would let you know how much your team sucks. I am going to the Houston series now to avoid those idiots down there.

RKMeibalane
04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
(Some) Sox fans booed Frank Thomas, though only after giving him a standing ovation and once he hit the first of his 2 HRs that game. :tongue:

I actually thought that was funny, as did Hawk, who was laughing when he heard fans booing Frank when he stepped into the box. Of course, Thomas launched his second home run of evening a few pitches later.

DSpivack
04-07-2013, 12:48 PM
I actually thought that was funny, as did Hawk, who was laughing when he heard fans booing Frank when he stepped into the box. Of course, Thomas launched his second home run of evening a few pitches later.

One of my fondest memories at a baseball game and one of the more fun games I've ever attended.

Domeshot17
04-07-2013, 05:43 PM
As White Sox Fans, I am a little shocked at the people lumping all or most Rangers fans in with the accused. After the Ligue incident, and then Sox fans assaulting Craig Biggio's Wife during the world series, you would think we of all people would get a couple douchebag's can make us all look bad. I would bet that is exactly what happened here.

RKMeibalane
04-07-2013, 06:08 PM
As White Sox Fans, I am a little shocked at the people lumping all or most Rangers fans in with the accused. After the Ligue incident, and then Sox fans assaulting Craig Biggio's Wife during the world series, you would think we of all people would get a couple douchebag's can make us all look bad. I would bet that is exactly what happened here.

You're right, but that's never stopped anyone here before. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
04-08-2013, 06:39 AM

I've lived in Texas for 14 years. I can attest this state has more than its fair share of douchebags. Not all sports fans in Texas are douchebags, but most douchebags in Texas are sports fans.

Hitmen77
04-08-2013, 08:31 AM

One idiot slapped her. It was deplorable, but let's not exaggerate things here by saying "Sox fans" did this. You make it sound like a crowd of Sox fans attacked her.

Domeshot17
04-08-2013, 09:55 AM
One idiot slapped her. It was deplorable, but let's not exaggerate things here by saying "Sox fans" did this. You make it sound like a crowd of Sox fans attacked her.

Sorry, but that was exactly my point. Rangers fans who BOO Hamilton, perfectly fine. The ones who went after this wife and kids, not okay at all. That said, I don't think all Rangers fans are nearly as bad as those ones, nor do I think all Sox fans are like the one who assaulted Biggio's wife.

Bobby Thigpen
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I've lived in Texas for 14 years. I can attest this state has more than its fair share of douchebags.
As does every state/city.