PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Well, that sucked... 4/5 postgamer

vinny
04-06-2013, 12:00 AM
At least we didn't roll over and die...

thomas35forever
04-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Gave 'em a fight. Too bad we came up short.

Soxman219
04-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I wish the Sox finished the job in the 9th when I turned the game back on after they were down 6-1! I need to have more faith in this team.

Brian26
04-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Nice job by the boys fighting back twice tonight. It's a shame Quintana couldn't have composed himself in the 5th. Just letting one less run score there probably helps the Sox win the game. Beckham looks good at the plate. The bullpen continues to impress. There are a lot of positive things going on so far.

Lip Man 1
04-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Dating back to last season the Sox are now 5-10 in their last 15 extra inning games. They have lost their last five straight extra inning games.

Lip

shingo10
04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Dating back to last season the Sox are now 5-10 in their last 15 extra inning games. They have lost their last five straight extra inning games.

Lip

Getting to the point where I want to turn the game off when it goes to extras. Very frustrating, they especially seem to lose at home a lot.

Trying not to be negative but this looks the same old song and dance where when the pitching is good the hitting sucks and when the pitching sucks the offense shows up but it isnt enough.

amsteel
04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Hey, 7 runs! That's cool!

voodoochile
04-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Dunn missed tying that game in the 10th by an eyelash. I mean he got it ALL but just got barely too much under it.

central44
04-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Hard to be too upset. Tough to see them lose that way, but to see them fight back from that deficit is definitely a great sign. Flowers continues to kill it, bats scored 7 runs--really, the Sox played great but Quintana's poor performance outweighed all the good things we saw tonight.

It's a shame, but i'll gladly take what I saw tonight from the rest of the team going forward.

Foulke You
04-06-2013, 12:47 AM
One bad inning by Quintana doomed them. A lot of fight in the Sox though tonight. Jones made a poor first pitch to Morales in the 10th. He was sitting dead red on a fastball. Overall, the pen gave us a chance. Just a tad short as usual in xtra innings.

Wedema
04-06-2013, 01:09 AM
One bad inning by Quintana doomed them. A lot of fight in the Sox though tonight. Jones made a poor first pitch to Morales in the 10th. He was sitting dead red on a fastball. Overall, the pen gave us a chance. Just a tad short as usual in xtra innings.

Morales should have been intentionally walked in the tenth with first base open and a righty Morse coming up next.

StillMissOzzie
04-06-2013, 01:55 AM

Lip

I could not care less about how many extra inning games the Sox lost LAST year, Lip

SMO
:o:

Wedema
04-06-2013, 02:06 AM
It also looked like Wilhelmsen pitched around Wise and Ramirez in the bottom of the tenth with two outs to get to Flowers who watched the first two strikes (and argued the first strike curveball) and then was blown away for strike three for his third strikeout of the game.

Jurr
04-06-2013, 02:29 AM
The Sox had every reason to mail this one in early. They fought back.
I don't mind losses like these. I mind the losses where the team goes into a shell and gives up at bats, waiting to get off the field ASAP.

Zakath
04-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Hopefully last night was a sign that guys other than Rios, Flowers, and Beckham are going to start hitting. The bullpen hadn't surrendered a run until Jones gave up the two in the tenth last night.

Well, at least we're still in first. However, we're also in last.

Over By There
04-06-2013, 09:18 AM
The Sox had every reason to mail this one in early. They fought back.
I don't mind losses like these. I mind the losses where the team goes into a shell and gives up at bats, waiting to get off the field ASAP.

Agree with this post. The only thing I am really concerned about after last night is Quintana - why he couldn't compose himself and limit the damage. Seemed like things went off the rails dramatically and with no warning. That's not good. Like others said, if he was able to hold it together just a a little bit better, that game ends differently.

slavko
04-06-2013, 09:38 AM
It also looked like Wilhelmsen pitched around Wise and Ramirez in the bottom of the tenth with two outs to get to Flowers who watched the first two strikes (and argued the first strike curveball) and then was blown away for strike three for his third strikeout of the game.

That's an interesting thought. He sure started Flowers off with a killer curve after I figured he had lost control of the pitch. That set up the whole at bat. Hawk said the temp was 32 degrees during that at bat. Never saw a baseball game played in that kind of weather before.

asindc
04-06-2013, 10:46 AM
That's an interesting thought. He sure started Flowers off with a killer curve after I figured he had lost control of the pitch. That set up the whole at bat. Hawk said the temp was 32 degrees during that at bat. Never saw a baseball game played in that kind of weather before.

That was the key to the entire inning. If Wilhelmsen doesn't get that curve over for a strike, he likely has to try to locate fastballs against Flowers, who had a good chance to square one up if he knows it's coming. Wilhelmsen was only able to catch Flowers flat-footed on the last strike because of that first strike curve. Clutch pitching beat a locked-in hitter. It happens.

I'm with the others who are not terribly upset with this loss. The team played well, with the exception of Quintana and Jones, but Seattle played just a little bit better. As long as the team plays like professionals and we at least stay within striking distance of Detroit well into June, I'll take it as it comes.

wassagstdu
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
The Sox are in first place in the ALC! No, wait, make that last place.