PDA

View Full Version : *** Official *** First person that says "Cy" Guthrie, I hate

doublem23
04-04-2013, 03:58 PM
That is all

Carneyman14
04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
:angry:

:gulp:

Over By There
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Winning series is good, let's keep doing that. Nice day for Gordon - let's hope he keeps it up.

tstrike2000
04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Oh well, two of three is a nice start.

LITTLE NELL
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Too bad we could not sweep.
Hopefully Gordon has finally found it.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-04-2013, 04:06 PM
It's actually "Catfish" Guthrie.

Whatever, it's just one loss.

Buehrle > Wood
04-04-2013, 04:08 PM
An interesting first series:

-Tyler Flowers is our best hitter (.571 BA, .700 OBP, 2HR)

-Gordon Beckham is our second best hitter (.556 BA, .667 OBP)

-Konerko, DeAza, and Keppinger are our worst hitters (.083 BA respectively)

I will file all of those numbers in the "trends not likely to continue" category.

As long as the pitching keeps it up, and the bottom of the order remains somewhat productive I like our chances!

ChiSoxGirl
04-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Today's loss would be a whole lot more infuriating had we not taken the first two in the series. On paper, today's pitching match-up didn't favor us to begin with, so I'm not all that surprised with the outcome. The good news is that Beckham went 4-for-4; on the flip side, Viciedo wore the golden sombrero and looked pretty bad at the plate all day.

A personal thank you goes out to the Minnesota Twins for taking two of three from Detroit to begin the season while we won our series against the Royals. :clap:

Tomorrow starts a three-game series with the Mariners, who we've handled pretty well over the last few years. Let's start a new winning streak!

Lip Man 1
04-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Just can't stop "Catfish" Guthrie...you only hope to contain him.

Hey they scored a run without a home run!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least they won the series. Now take care of Seattle (although I think Hernandez is pitching in one of those games...)

Lip

ChiSoxGal85
04-04-2013, 04:21 PM
How about "Sigh...Guthrie..." :(:

Only got to see pieces of the game today, but nice to see Beckham have a good game, and Flowers make a good impression in the first home stand.

SephClone89
04-04-2013, 04:22 PM

At least they won the series. Now take care of Seattle (although I think Hernandez is pitching in one of those games...)

Lip

Stooooopppp.

ChiSoxGirl
04-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Lip

He's pitching against Dylan Axelrod on Saturday. I'm glad I went to Opening Day because at least I got to see one victory on this homestand. I don't have much hope for a Sox win on Saturday. At least it's supposed to be in the 60s, which is well-deserved after sitting through a temperature of 37 degrees at first pitch on Monday!

Dibbs
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Looks like Keppinger got a case of the Soxitis. Wouldn't be surprised to see a career low batting average this year.

3 games, 7 runs and 5 homers for the offense on the year. It is going to be the same bad baseball as usual.

russ99
04-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Lip

Whoop-de-doo. 1-6 RISP and 9 LOB with 12 Ks.

Now we're 1-14 with RISP. Hopefully that improves against Seattle.

Bucky F. Dent
04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Win the series, win the series, win the series. All year long, just win the series!

blandman
04-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Win the series, win the series, win the series. All year long, just win the series!

Hey, can't argue with that. We weren't expected to win this one based on matchup anyway.

This was a good series.

LITTLE NELL
04-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Looks like Keppinger got a case of the Soxitis. Wouldn't be surprised to see a career low batting average this year.

3 games, 7 runs and 5 homers for the offense on the year. It is going to be the same bad baseball as usual.

First in the AL in ERA after 3 games. Be nice if we are at that spot come September.

Noneck
04-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Weather is cold, pitching should dominate. This should continue for weekend series. The 1,2,3 and pen has looked good, love to see good performances from 4 and 5 now.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Last five starts against the White Sox, "Catfish" Guthrie has allowed two earned runs in 35 and 2/3rd's innings.

When the Sox scored their only run in the 5th inning it snapped a 21 inning shutout streak he had going against them. Bet your bottom dollar the Royals are going to try to pitch this guys against the Sox in every series much like Verlander does with the Tigers.

In 14 of the last 21 meetings between the two teams the Sox have scored three runs or less. They are 3-11 in those games.

Oh by the way, it's "Cy" Chen, "The Great" Mendoza and "Catfish" Guthrie.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
04-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I have an irrational fear that Keppinger might be one of those players who simply loses it with the Sox, due exclusively to our previous experience watching train wrecks named Cory Snyder, Steve Sax, etc.

Yes, it's irrational.

Zakath
04-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Blew off work for this one. Was kind of funny to see everyone bundled up when it turned out to be a gorgeous day (especially on the sunny side of the field).

Couldn't help but be impressed with both Flowers and Beckham at the plate. Keppinger plays a solid 3B. Viciedo, on the other hand, looked completely out of it at the plate. Nice grab in the second, but not even close on his swing. The wind was kind of swirling all day, for what little there was, so it was tough to see anything going out, which is not good when only the bottom of the lineup is producing.

One of those 60 we were probably destined to lose.

asindc
04-04-2013, 06:11 PM

It is?

asindc
04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
That is all

Thanks for the thread title. Very appropriate.

blandman
04-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I have an irrational fear that Keppinger might be one of those players who simply loses it with the Sox, due exclusively to our previous experience watching train wrecks named Cory Snyder, Steve Sax, etc.

Yes, it's irrational.

Even if he was, I think we'll be okay at 3B.

BigKlu59
04-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Whoop-de-doo. 1-6 RISP and 9 LOB with 12 Ks.

Now we're 1-14 with RISP. Hopefully that improves against Seattle.

Only bitch about this series. Could have pulled this one out today with some timely hitting. Nice start. Gavin had 1 bad inning and it bit him in the ass. He should have won this game.

Could get used to them winning every series against these bums.

BK59

shingo10
04-04-2013, 08:19 PM
He's pitching against Dylan Axelrod on Saturday. I'm glad I went to Opening Day because at least I got to see one victory on this homestand. I don't have much hope for a Sox win on Saturday. At least it's supposed to be in the 60s, which is well-deserved after sitting through a temperature of 37 degrees at first pitch on Monday!

I'd rather the Sox face King Felix than Guthrie. No teal intended. If the Royals would have started Chen this series I'm guessing the outcome wouldn't be in our favor...BUT. Thrilled to win a series against these guys and thrilled with how solid our pitching looked.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Yes, it's irrational.

I don't know that Cory Snyder was a train wreck so much as he couldn't hit using Hriniak's approach. He told Walt as much during a meeting, and was traded a week later. Lip details the story in an interview (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=1689) he did with Cory several seasons ago.

TDog
04-04-2013, 08:34 PM
It is?

I don't think so. I think the offense will be stronger and smarter than it was in 2013, although it felt truncated today.

Really, today's game was one the White Sox could have won, perhaps should have won. The Royals made a couple of big defensive plays and executed in the only inning they scored. At the time, I wondered if Floyd let down after he gave up the lead. The numbers say he pitched a pretty good game, but it you watched it, you could see he let the game get away from him and didn't deserve to win.

The first key play was De Aza's being doubled up with runners at first and third with one out after the Sox executed the hit and run. There is no way of knowing if the Royals would have hit and run if the score weren't tied. And assuming the game played out with the Sox scoring their runner from third, I wonder if Floyd would have given up the hit driving in the second run if the score were still tied.

Even with the Sox down 3-1, the next time De Aza came up with runners at first and third, I thought he was tying the game with a gapper, but Dyson made a very nice catch. Even when he got to the ball, I thought it was behind him.

The Royals simply outplayed the Sox today, making the clutch plays when they needed to. On the positive side, the bottom of the lineup did a great job is setting up innings. Unfortunately, the top of the order hasn't started hitting. It isn't even so much a matter of not hitting. Today the White Sox might have won against a tough pitcher if De Aza had beaten the double-play relay to first.

It's odd, though, that the new pitchers the Royals started ahead of their strongest pitcher from last year, the pitchers who were supposed to turn the Royals around behind their strong offense and bullpen, were the ones the Sox beat in the series.

The first loss is always disappointing. I was hoping to go undefeated.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't think so. I think the offense will be stronger and smarter than it was in 2013, although it felt truncated today.

:?:

SoxSpeed22
04-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Unfortunate, but that's just the way it goes. Guys who pitch backwards seem to give Viciedo the biggest problems.

blandman
04-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Unfortunate, but that's just the way it goes. Guys who pitch backwards seem to give Viciedo the biggest problems.

Guys who pitch give Viciedo problems. :D:

RKMeibalane
04-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Guys who pitch give Viciedo problems. :D:

:rolleyes:

blandman
04-04-2013, 09:59 PM
:rolleyes:

Bench him!

Brian26
04-04-2013, 10:16 PM
It's actually "Catfish" Guthrie.

Whatever, it's just one loss.

Right, Cy Chen, Cy Mays, and Catfish Guthrie.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Brian:

Since Mays is long gone it's "Cy" Chen, "the Great" Mendoza and "Catfish" Guthrie.

Lip

amsteel
04-05-2013, 05:05 AM
Perfectly forgettable series, despite somehow stealing 2 games while only scoring 2.3 runs/game.

Other than the pitching performances mon and tues and Flowers, I'm not too impressed with the 2013 version thus far. I realize its only three games.

asindc
04-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Perfectly forgettable series, despite somehow stealing 2 games while only scoring 2.3 runs/game.

Other than the pitching performances mon and tues and Flowers, I'm not too impressed with the 2013 version thus far. I realize its only three games.

Stealing two games? The Sox clearly outplayed KC in the first two.

asindc
04-05-2013, 06:53 AM
BTW, Guthrie has a 2.12 ERA in his last 12 starts, which include starts against LAAAA, Texas, and 3 against Detroit. Maybe the guy has finally figured it out.

doublem23
04-05-2013, 07:55 AM
BTW, Guthrie has a 2.12 ERA in his last 12 starts, which include starts against LAAAA, Texas, and 3 against Detroit. Maybe the guy has finally figured it out.

Facts and logic have no place in postgame threads whenever the Sox lose to an inferior opponent.

Foulke You
04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Tank looked especially antsy at the plate yesterday. He was swinging at everything, and I mean everything. More so than his normal aggression at the plate. I think his approach was just much worse against Guthrie than what he had against Santana and Shields.

It's odd because when you watch Guthrie pitch, it just doesn't seem like he should be dominating. However, I think his secret is that he changes speeds and his pitches have just enough late movement on them to miss the sweet spot of the bat. Axelrod should watch Guthrie closely because that is the model he is going to have to use in order to get MLB hitters out on a regular basis. I really hope that next time against Guthrie that Robin starts more of the bench guys like Angel Sanchez and Conor Gillaspie. It's time to see if some new blood can have success against him. We have already more than established that our regular guys have very little success against him.

TDog
04-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Tank looked especially antsy at the plate yesterday. He was swinging at everything, and I mean everything. More so than his normal aggression at the plate. I think his approach was just much worse against Guthrie than what he had against Santana and Shields.

It's odd because when you watch Guthrie pitch, it just doesn't seem like he should be dominating. However, I think his secret is that he changes speeds and his pitches have just enough late movement on them to miss the sweet spot of the bat. Axelrod should watch Guthrie closely because that is the model he is going to have to use in order to get MLB hitters out on a regular basis. I really hope that next time against Guthrie that Robin starts more of the bench guys like Angel Sanchez and Conor Gillaspie. It's time to see if some new blood can have success against him. We have already more than established that our regular guys have very little success against him.

I liked that Ventura put on the hit and run against Guthrie to set up a first-and-third-one-out situation with the fastest hitter in the lineup coming up. It should have broken the tie (and an idential plan did for the Royals the next half inning). If Guthrie is locating, you really have to beat him with a smaller game and chip away at him to upset his rhythm, which appeared to be what the Royals did to Floyd.

The White Sox hit Guthrie hard in August 2011 in Baltimore. Everyone hit Guthrie hard in Colorado (as well as on the road in a Rockies uniform) in 2012. When he returned to the American League later in the season, he was a different pitcher. I wasn't watching him closely enough to see if he has changed his motion, but he seem to be doing a better job pitching to strengths that weren't that apparent with his last two teams. He has good late movement and changes speeds with a motion that confuses hitters' timing. He seems especially tough against power hitters. Of course, Viciedo and Dunn looked awful against him, but even hitters who seemed to get good swings against him, Konerko in particular, weren't successful in driving the ball.

In simple terms, hitting is about timing and pitching is about upsetting timing. But there are three basic aspects of what a pitcher throws -- velocity, movement and location. If a pitcher maintains two of those aspects working in his favor, he can be very tough to beat.