PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Sign Jose Valverde

Foulke You
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere. Interesting timing on this move considering yesterday's "bullpen by committee" blown save for Detroit. A minor league deal only:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/tigers-sign-jose-valverde.html

thomas35forever
04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
They'll keep him in the minors if they know what's good for them. And maybe for baseball.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Expect to see him on the big league roster around the time Detroit gets ready to start playing the Sox in July if not before.

Lip

Noneck
04-04-2013, 06:46 PM
The pen seems to be the weak link for detroit. I think you will see more dumpster diving by detroit till trade deadline deals begin.

DonnieDarko
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Expect to see him on the big league roster around the time Detroit gets ready to start playing the Sox in July if not before.

Lip

I remember hearing that there's a stipulation in his contract that if he doesn't make it to the big leagues by something like May 5th he gets let go. So expect him to be with the Tigers sooner as opposed to later.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2013, 09:23 PM
The pen seems to be the weak link for detroit. I think you will see more dumpster diving by detroit till trade deadline deals begin.

Interesting metaphor, as I heard something funny about dumpster diving on the radio earlier this week. Apparently, an Indianapolis radio host has a family member who likes to search through dumpsters to find various items to either keep or sell to make money. This person was searching through dumpsters near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and on one occasion, found a paper bag filled with syringe needles. On another occasion, he found a box containing a dead boa constrictor.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Donnie:

That may be true but that also means he's only got about a month for 'spring' training. We'll see.

Lip

DSpivack
04-05-2013, 01:12 AM
I'll be surprised if he's ever back with the big league club.

ohiosoxfan
04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm guessing that as soon as Brian Wilson proves he's healthy, he'll be a Tiger. . . .

Foulke You
04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
The Padres are unlikely to be contenders this year so I fully expect them to shop Huston Street sooner rather than later. I expect the Tigers to be in on that if they haven't gotten their closer situation settled by then. Also, wasn't Matt Capps recently released in the Spring? Not saying he is good but that would qualify as dumpster diving as a previous poster suggested.

DSpivack
04-05-2013, 12:38 PM
The Padres are unlikely to be contenders this year so I fully expect them to shop Huston Street sooner rather than later. I expect the Tigers to be in on that if they haven't gotten their closer situation settled by then. Also, wasn't Matt Capps recently released in the Spring? Not saying he is good but that would qualify as dumpster diving as a previous poster suggested.

The Padres could also have a good trading chip there in Luke Gregerson. Or the Marlins with Steve Cishek.